ImageImageImageImageImage

official mets 2022 thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,214

Re: official mets 2022 thread 

Post#101 » by 2010 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:08 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

his time was coming. They need an extra bullpen arm and Dom has been dreadful at the plate. He got more opportunities with Cano gone and has a .256 slug which is pitcher like. Hopefully a AAA stint wakes him up.

I feel bad because Dom is one of the more likable guys on the team. But at the end of the day its about production and he's just not cutting it.

Nick Plummer has made Dom expandable.

They really should have just pulled the trigger on that trade offer which would have netted Hosmer and a couple of useful arms.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RealGM

Post#102 » by 2010 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:23 pm

I’m not too knowledgeable about Plummer’s scouting report. I know he was a 1st round pick but was he projected to have as much power as he’s showing currently? If so, that was a great low risk/high reward minor league signing. I wonder why the Cards gave up on him prematurely.

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,581

Post#103 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:36 pm

2010 wrote:I’m not too knowledgeable about Plummer’s scouting report. I know he was a 1st round pick but was he projected to have as much power as he’s showing currently? If so, that was a great low risk/high reward minor league signing. I wonder why the Cards gave up on him prematurely.

So he has a really interesting career path. Elite high school player that was picked in the 1st round. Got into the cards system and couldn't hit a lick for 4 years.

Look at those first 4 years in there system. Barely hitting .200 some of those years with no power and a ton of strikeouts with not a single game played above A ball. The interesting part is he always drew a lot of walks he just had horrible bat to ball skills.

Then COVID hit and he didn't play in 2020 and basically reworked his entire swing. No more high leg kick and something clicked.

In 2021 you look at those numbers in AA/AAA in the cardinals basically .280/.415/900 slash lines is elite stuff. I guess the cardinals thought it was just one year and didn't think he was worthy. Mets pegged him early in the process to sign him to a bigger minor league deal because they believed he turned the corner and it looks like he has.

What some don't realize is Cohen's money goes far beyond signing top flight FA. The wilpons were cheap and they would never sign these minor league deal guys to above there normal pay. This is what the dodgers do to find guys like Max Muncy.

Now we have a guy similar who had a ton of talent...wasn't finding his way but they saw something overpaid minor league money to get him into there system and thrive.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
RealGM

Post#104 » by 2010 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:44 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
2010 wrote:I’m not too knowledgeable about Plummer’s scouting report. I know he was a 1st round pick but was he projected to have as much power as he’s showing currently? If so, that was a great low risk/high reward minor league signing. I wonder why the Cards gave up on him prematurely.

So he has a really interesting career path. Elite high school player that was picked in the 1st round. Got into the cards system and couldn't hit a lick for 4 years.

Look at those first 4 years in there system. Barely hitting .200 some of those years with no power and a ton of strikeouts with not a single game played above A ball. The interesting part is he always drew a lot of walks he just had horrible bat to ball skills.

Then COVID hit and he didn't play in 2020 and basically reworked his entire swing. No more high leg kick and something clicked.

In 2021 you look at those numbers in AA/AAA in the cardinals basically .280/.415/900 slash lines is elite stuff. I guess the cardinals thought it was just one year and didn't think he was worthy. Mets pegged him early in the process to sign him to a bigger minor league deal because they believed he turned the corner and it looks like he has.

What some don't realize is Cohen's money goes far beyond signing top flight FA. The wilpons were cheap and they would never sign these minor league deal guys to above there normal pay. This is what the dodgers do to find guys like Max Muncy.

Now we have a guy similar who had a ton of talent...wasn't finding his way but they saw something overpaid minor league money to get him into there system and thrive.

Thanks for the breakdown! I hope this kid sticks. Never saw his swing before when he was struggling early in his minor league career, but his new stroke is short, compact, and he gets through the zone with minimal effort while generating good power. Looks like the real deal. Defense looks shaky but you can live with it as long as the power and good eye are legit.

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#105 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:03 pm

2010 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Thanks for the breakdown! I hope this kid sticks. Never saw his swing before when he was struggling early in his minor league career, but his new stroke is short, compact, and he gets through the zone with minimal effort while generating good power. Looks like the real deal. Defense looks shaky but you can live with it as long as the power and good eye are legit.

I can't find much but there is a HR from 5 years ago. You can see the leg kick is certainly more prevalent and since that requires a lot of timing you can be prone to a lot of swing and miss and off balance for offspeed pitches. More guessing then trusting your hands.

His approach at the plate (as you mentioned) now is much simpler and quiet. Barely any leg kick at all...short and too the ball

his oppo swing reminds me very much of a young conforto....

https://youtu.be/8fveCZAzDi4?t=52 ( I save a clip at the 52 second mark and it pretty damn close to the HR plummer just hit).

ROSTER

RealGM

Post#106 » by 2010 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:30 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
2010 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I can't find much but there is a HR from 5 years ago. You can see the leg kick is certainly more prevalent and since that requires a lot of timing you can be prone to a lot of swing and miss and off balance for offspeed pitches. More guessing then trusting your hands.

His approach at the plate (as you mentioned) now is much simpler and quiet. Barely any leg kick at all...short and too the ball

https://youtu.be/8fveCZAzDi4?t=52 ( I save a clip at the 52 second mark and it pretty damn close to the HR plummer just hit).

Yup, very similar swing. Conforto’s is just a little bit longer.

One other thing, Plummer is built like a freakin’ TANK!

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#107 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:33 pm

2010 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
2010 wrote:

yup and that is what got conforto into trouble he was a hit to all fields guy when he first came up and his swing got longer and more pull happy as he fell in love with the HR. No surprise he was one of the streaky mets in recent history.

And yes Plummer is a damn UNIT! Dude is built like an NFL full back! :lol:

ROSTER

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#108 » by blueNorange » Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

his time was coming. They need an extra bullpen arm and Dom has been dreadful at the plate. He got more opportunities with Cano gone and has a .256 slug which is pitcher like. Hopefully a AAA stint wakes him up.

I feel bad because Dom is one of the more likable guys on the team. But at the end of the day its about production and he's just not cutting it.

would you feel less bad if he didn't take this demotion well and got into it with coaches?

someone with legit sources said this happened, dom's met career is probably over.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#109 » by blueNorange » Tue May 31, 2022 11:03 pm

bucks' comments pretty much confirms that dom indeed didn't take it well.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=0_CI52BKD0XumKnVLrA9bA
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#110 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:55 pm

blueNorange wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

would you feel less bad if he didn't take this demotion well and got into it with coaches?

someone with legit sources said this happened, dom's met career is probably over.

I wouldn't expect anyone that has been in the majors as long as dom has to take it "well".

Now what he does from here is what matters. Does he sulk and drift into the abyss or does he focus on making the most of these at bats and get going? But the mets had to make this call.

ROSTER

RealGM

Post#111 » by 2010 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 6:14 am

mpharris36 wrote:
2010 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

yup and that is what got conforto into trouble he was a hit to all fields guy when he first came up and his swing got longer and more pull happy as he fell in love with the HR. No surprise he was one of the streaky mets in recent history.

And yes Plummer is a damn UNIT! Dude is built like an NFL full back! :lol:

Check this out. Everything we were talking about:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/01/nick-plummer-finding-success-with-mets-after-up-and-down-career/

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,640

Post#112 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 1, 2022 10:03 am

There’s a rumor that the Mets are a leading candidate to trade for A’s pitcher Frankie Montas. Potential piece going back is one of the Mets top 3 prospects: Alvarez, Baty, or Mauricio.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#113 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jun 1, 2022 3:37 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:There’s a rumor that the Mets are a leading candidate to trade for A’s pitcher Frankie Montas. Potential piece going back is one of the Mets top 3 prospects: Alvarez, Baty, or Mauricio.

With how much starting pitchers usually go for, I rather just go after a place holder until all the starters come back. Wade Miley, Nathan Eovaldi, Jose Quintana, Madison Bumgarner/Kyle Hendricks if they eat some of the money or we get him for dirt cheap etc. With Davis really struggling, Dom Smith trade looking more likely each passing day, if we're not trading one of them we shouldn't be eating into our prospect pool for rentals and or fifth rotation starters.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#114 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 4:02 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:There’s a rumor that the Mets are a leading candidate to trade for A’s pitcher Frankie Montas. Potential piece going back is one of the Mets top 3 prospects: Alvarez, Baty, or Mauricio.

With how much starting pitchers usually go for, I rather just go after a place holder until all the starters come back. Wade Miley, Nathan Eovaldi, Jose Quintana, Madison Bumgarner/Kyle Hendricks if they eat some of the money or we get him for dirt cheap etc. With Davis really struggling, Dom Smith trade looking more likely each passing day, if we're not trading one of them we shouldn't be eating into our prospect pool for rentals and or fifth rotation starters.

Yeah I would target more relief pitchers that can be another high leverage guy.

If we assume Degrom and Scherzer will be back at some point. You have Bassitt and then you can pick from Carrasco/Walker/Megill to be the 4th starter in the post season.

You don't need a 5 man rotation in the playoffs. So I don't think cashing in on a big starter makes a ton of sense unless in July they get word that Degrom or Scherzer isn't coming back.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#115 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 1, 2022 9:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

If we assume Degrom and Scherzer will be back at some point. You have Bassitt and then you can pick from Carrasco/Walker/Megill to be the 4th starter in the post season.

You don't need a 5 man rotation in the playoffs. So I don't think cashing in on a big starter makes a ton of sense unless in July they get word that Degrom or Scherzer isn't coming back.

I think there is some concern about deGrom’s health.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#116 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 1, 2022 10:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

You can't really rely on Scherzer either. He's been banged up several times the last few years. I thought that contract was a tremendous risk.
:beer: RIP mags
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#117 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:13 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

You can't really rely on Scherzer either. He's been banged up several times the last few years. I thought that contract was a tremendous risk.

short terms high AAV contract are no risk to cohen...he has proven winning over money...we cut cano with a ton of money left on his deal because he wasn't helping us win. If for whatever reason scherzer deal is bad year 3....we will just spend to replace him.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#118 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:15 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

Oh they def is. Until deGrom is on the mound and even when he's on the mound because of his recent injury history there will always be concnered...I just don't see them jumping on Montas now when they are winning and they is still optimism both will be back in July.

If July comes around and both are still huge question marks to come back I feel then they will pounce on a trade for a pitcher.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#119 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:34 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Oh they def is. Until deGrom is on the mound and even when he's on the mound because of his recent injury history there will always be concnered...I just don't see them jumping on Montas now when they are winning and they is still optimism both will be back in July.

If July comes around and both are still huge question marks to come back I feel then they will pounce on a trade for a pitcher.

I have a feeling that this upcoming road-trip will be revealing.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#120 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

short terms high AAV contract are no risk to cohen...he has proven winning over money...we cut cano with a ton of money left on his deal because he wasn't helping us win. If for whatever reason scherzer deal is bad year 3....we will just spend to replace him.

Yeah... it's like a Steinbrenner scenario. I guess to fans it doesn't matter when the team will spend whatever it takes. You just gotta hope he's healthy for the playoffs. Still a bit much IMO.
:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks