ImageImageImageImageImage

GOAT Knick?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Who is the GOAT Knick?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:19 am

Ewing
41%
Frazier
47%
Reed
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 66

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,974

Re: GOAT Knick? 

Post#61 » by Stannis » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:53 am

Tracy McGrady was the greatest Knick
Free Palestine
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#62 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:18 am

Stannis wrote:Tracy McGrady was the greatest Knick

I saw his first game in the Garden.

They should have retired his jersey and built him a statue right after the game ended.

It was just after the Jeffries trade. Peak LeBron to the Knicks era.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#63 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:24 am

It's basically a toss-up between Reed and Ewing.

Depends on what you value.

Reed had a shorter career because of injuries, that were more serious than even Ewing's. Better accomplishments - individual and collective - but he also had more help than Ewing ever did. I think it's undeniable he was the better leader. Reed was also way ahead of his time as a stretch big, which also enabled his teammates to play with more space all over the court.

Ewing had a longer career, was the better scorer, and is probably more emblematic of the Knicks, perhaps partly and indirectly because of Jordan.

I might still put Reed above Ewing by the slightest of margins.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#64 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:41 am

N8isScofield wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:Clyde and Willis were before my time but I got to watch the majority of Ewing's career so I gotta say Ewing. I know the media and some fans who weren't alive to see him will highlight his lack of championships, his game winner misses and getting dunked on but Ewing made a lot of big shots, had a ton of monster games and dunked on a lot of players too. Bonified HOF in one of the toughest era's in NBA history.
Ewing was easily better than Willis and Clyde. Willis and Clyde had each other and a good team.

They traded away Jackson and Strickland to give Ewing Charles Smith and other detritus.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Clyde beat Wilt,Elgin Baylor and Jerry West borderline by himself to close out a finals. Pat got his lunch eaten so badly by Hakeem that they let a dude who was stocking shelves the year before go 2-18 in a must win game rather than let Pat keep embarrassing himself against Hakeem. FOH. I loved and grew up with Ewing but he came up small in more big moments than not. Clyde was a monster.
You can't really believe that mythology.

Yes Clyde carried that Knicks teak for one game after Reed gave them a lift. Buy you're acting like Clyde was the only player on that team.

Ewing carried his Knicks teams by himself with the grocery bagger as his second. That factors into why Ewing would come up small.

Let Clyde be the only talent on the roster in 73 and see if they make the finals.

N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#65 » by N8isScofield » Sun May 1, 2022 10:40 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Ewing was easily better than Willis and Clyde. Willis and Clyde had each other and a good team.

They traded away Jackson and Strickland to give Ewing Charles Smith and other detritus.

Clyde beat Wilt,Elgin Baylor and Jerry West borderline by himself to close out a finals. Pat got his lunch eaten so badly by Hakeem that they let a dude who was stocking shelves the year before go 2-18 in a must win game rather than let Pat keep embarrassing himself against Hakeem. FOH. I loved and grew up with Ewing but he came up small in more big moments than not. Clyde was a monster.
You can't really believe that mythology.

Yes Clyde carried that Knicks teak for one game after Reed gave them a lift. Buy you're acting like Clyde was the only player on that team.

Ewing carried his Knicks teams by himself with the grocery bagger as his second. That factors into why Ewing would come up small.

Let Clyde be the only talent on the roster in 73 and see if they make the finals.

And he was so putrid in the Finals that they treated the grocery bagger like a first option whereas Clyde's number 2 was a gimpy Willis Reed against a Lakers God Squad. Stop it.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#66 » by nedleeds » Mon May 2, 2022 5:42 pm

The Lamma wrote:If the question was most devastating Knick, the answer would be easily Bernard King.

Scoring champion with 32.9 on 53% from the floor in 84. Shot 57% with 26 ppg a year earlier. Dude was just a flat out assassin.

Took our undertalented team vs the eventual champions in 1984 with Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ to seven games in the second round. And made me a fan of the Knicks. Cotdammit. It was him, Bill Cartwright, a declining Ray Williams, and little else.

He just wasn't a Knick for long enough to be considered here which of course, is the life of a Knicks fan Cliff Notes wise.

That teams 3rd best player by the playoffs might have been Truck Robinson and they took a GOAT Celtics team to 7.

Ray Williams was just chucking by the standards of the day. Yo ... you want to see how completely batshyte insane Bernard King was compared to the rest of the league.

This is Jokic who by most measurements just had one of the best offensive seasons in modern history.

This is the illegal defense era where double teaming meant actually double teaming so King's surgical mid-post, block game was basically unstoppable with 1 defender.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#67 » by nedleeds » Mon May 2, 2022 5:44 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Kidknick!
Head Coach
And1: 1,561

Post#68 » by Kidknick! » Tue May 3, 2022 6:53 am

Clyde by a country mile.

Return to New York Knicks