ImageImageImageImageImage

Leon Rose’s letter to season ticket holders

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: Leon Rose’s letter to season ticket holders 

Post#21 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 am

No one should care what Rose says to the media. It's completely irrelevant to his job. No need to talk to them at all.

He seems terrible at the aforementioned job. But that has nothing to do with giving interviews to, eg, the NY Post.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,286

Post#22 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:14 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:No one should care what Rose says to the media. It's completely irrelevant to his job. No need to talk to them at all.

He seems terrible at the aforementioned job. But that has nothing to do with giving interviews to, eg, the NY Post.

That may be true under Dolan but most GM’s actually do give some credible information to the fans. Because at the end of the day the fans pay everyone’s bills. So there is some respect that’s owed to the fans to have an idea of the teams’ vision moving forward.

Leon Rose’s empty generic statements remind of Scott Layden talking a lot and saying a whole lot of nothing. He is insulting the fans intelligence with his lack of transparency and his refusal to answer any questions about his job. It’s a btch move but I don’t much from a friend of Dolan’s.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#23 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:27 am

Stannis wrote:I actually wonder if any season ticket holder read this and was like "I was about to sell my tickets, but you know, I think I'm going to keep the now".

The Knicks are still a huge draw. We have the most passionate fans who are hungry. So I do think that fans will be even more enthusiastic about watching a young Knicks team than one led by Randle. Look at how the fans were showing up for the lost 5 home games or so. The Garden areas packed and fans we’re going nuts for IQ and Obi.
Free Palestine
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#24 » by seren » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:06 pm

I think there are a lot of positives in this letter. At the least, they seem to grasp that fans are invested in the youth core and are not necessarily looking for quick fixes. Why else emphasize youth and draft picks? I am foolishly optimistic seeing this.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#25 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:45 pm

seren wrote:I think there are a lot of positives in this letter. At the least, they seem to grasp that fans are invested in the youth core and are not necessarily looking for quick fixes. Why else emphasize youth and draft picks? I am foolishly optimistic seeing this.

Trade value
Free Palestine
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#26 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:56 pm

Meh... part of me feels like im part of those looking into this letter for a "sign of things to come," but are actually mistaking a shiny piece of corn in a turd for a jewel.

In all honesty, this message was conjured by the PR team, and rubber stamped by Leon rose.

I don't really care for wholesale changes. Really... it's done nothing for the team... under each iteration. My man just needs to get his **** together, and stop this whole democracy crap he's got going on in the front office. Ultimately, underneath Dolan, the buck stops with him. He needs to take accountability for the hirings and the moves he's made. Last off-season was an abomination with the way he peddled the "assets" he had then. If he truly wants to tout this youth movement, then let that be his stand, and commit to it. Be patient, and maneuver in ways that stays true to the stance. This fence sitting has got to go.
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
Black and Blue
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,386

Post#27 » by Black and Blue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:13 pm

seren wrote:I think there are a lot of positives in this letter. At the least, they seem to grasp that fans are invested in the youth core and are not necessarily looking for quick fixes. Why else emphasize youth and draft picks? I am foolishly optimistic seeing this.

As apt as I am to think the worst when it comes to the Knicks, I agree. This declaration of appreciation for the young players answers perhaps the most important question we had: where does this FO place it’s vision moving forward- in the youth or the win-now vets? The tenure of Thibodeau thus far has made that question more nebulous than it should have been and this is Leon telling fans they see what we see.

Now I COMPLETELY understand the posters who say these words are hollow…they are 100% intentionally vague. Leon is not ready to promise anything in the wake of an incredibly poor trade deadline in which the team tried to make roster changes and were unable to do so. They know that promising big roster changes will not only stick their necks out for the Dolan guillotine, but also lessen the leverage they have in trade discussions.

If there is one absolute to take from this, and I personally think it is a positive one, it is the written admission this season was a failure (or “did not go as well as hoped” or however it was phrased). That admission indicates they recognize work has to be done on THEIR end (especially with retaining Thibs), and trotting out the same team as last year is not going to be something the season ticket holders can stomach. By all accounts if they bring back this same roster with tiny tweaks next season the fans will be pissed and they seem to know that. I was worried they would do the moronic “but-but-but Derrick Rose was injured!” excuse and they at least seem bright enough to know that isn’t an option.

Look, with the Knicks we all know the expect the worst, hope for the best, and ultimately there is a 99% chance it will still be the worst. I’m going to nod my head at this statement and sit back and say, “show us you actually are going to do something impactful.” This off-season is huge. Randle getting punted to mars needs to be the first order of business.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Post#28 » by Zenzibar » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:02 pm

Stop All Genocides
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,603

Post#29 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:44 pm

Now do it, morons.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,594

Post#30 » by El Poochio » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:46 pm

Positives: Cam Reddish trade, might be my favourite Knicks trade of all time

Negatives: Leon Rose interview, where he couldnt even string two sentences together. Yikes!!

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,594

Post#31 » by El Poochio » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:49 pm

Not firing Thibs would set this team back for another 3 years

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,229

Post#32 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:52 pm

The words sound like they hear what the fans are saying. They know they screwed up last summer and hint at it but...there is still the...well...things just didn't work out mentality being presented. Using the last surge of wins as some sort of crutch.

It doesn't seem they committed to anything to me. The proof will be in the next few months of decisions they make. Then we will see what the cohesion is with the HC next season. Are they gonna take away his toys or do they run it back with vets and the same mess continues?

The only positive I get is that they hear the fan chatter. Well...are they gonna listen to it or just keep doing the same dumb ****. We got this speech three years ago when they drafted RJ. Look what they have done since.
:beer: RIP mags
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,298

Post#33 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:58 pm

The Pacers POBO guaranteed the Pacers would never rebuild, and always try to win now, a few days before the deadline. A few days later, the Pacers traded their All-Star center for a sophomore in Haliburton.

I wouldn't read too much into anything Leon Rose has to say.

And if he truly revealed anything about his true plans, then it would be counterproductive as he would then lose leverage.

If the Knicks pass on a reasonable trade for a win-now player like Mitchell because they're on principle invested in the youth as the remaining Knicks fans supposedly are, then Leon Rose should get fired on the spot.

You have to be agile and opportunistic. There are many ways to build a contender. Those paths include building around young players, when they are actually worth building around. None of the Knicks young players have proven to be that, so every path should be considered.
Gorilla Monsoon
Senior
And1: 1,744

Post#34 » by Gorilla Monsoon » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:56 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:The Pacers POBO guaranteed the Pacers would never rebuild, and always try to win now, a few days before the deadline. A few days later, the Pacers traded their All-Star center for a sophomore in Haliburton.

And if he truly revealed anything about his true plans, then it would be counterproductive as he would then lose leverage.

If the Knicks pass on a reasonable trade for a win-now player like Mitchell because they're on principle invested in the youth as the remaining Knicks fans supposedly are, then Leon Rose should get fired on the spot.

You have to be agile and opportunistic. There are many ways to build a contender. Those paths include building around young players, when they are actually worth building around. None of the Knicks young players have proven to be that, so every path should be considered.

You act like Donovan Mitchell is prime LeBron James. He's an undersized 2 guard, and he hasn't won jack sh*t in Utah with a very good team around him. If I'm Leon, I'm not trading all of our youth and picks just to pair him with Randle and be left with nothing else. Dumb idea.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,374

Post#35 » by Iron Mantis » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:10 pm

Gorilla Monsoon wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Pacers POBO guaranteed the Pacers would never rebuild, and always try to win now, a few days before the deadline. A few days later, the Pacers traded their All-Star center for a sophomore in Haliburton.

You act like Donovan Mitchell is prime LeBron James. He's an undersized 2 guard, and he hasn't won jack sh*t in Utah with a very good team around him. If I'm Leon, I'm not trading all of our youth and picks just to pair him with Randle and be left with nothing else. Dumb idea.

Pairing Randle and Mitchell is like pairing Westbrook with LeBron.

Not a good match.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Post#36 » by Zenzibar » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:17 pm

Fam, it seems like Thibs, Leon and management e have made a truce and have come together regarding the youth.

Stop All Genocides
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,149

Post#37 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:22 pm

TL/DR
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,286

Post#38 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:52 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Fam, it seems like Thibs, Leon and management e have made a truce and have come together regarding the youth.

Why are you spamming this guy's videos?

Unless you're the guy making the videos.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,793

Post#39 » by Stannis » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:TL/DR

Here's the Cliff Notes:

Board: OMG Writing is on the wall, Rose wants to trade Randle
What Rose actually means: I have a bunch of assets that I can trade to build around Randle
Free Palestine
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#40 » by F N 11 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:11 pm

I’ll believe it when I see it.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.

Return to New York Knicks