ImageImageImageImageImage

Leon Rose is in a no win situation

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Re: Leon Rose is in a no win situation 

Post#41 » by Jeffrey » Sun May 8, 2022 7:40 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:He leads you to a better lottery pick because he sucks. There's value in that, but he as a player doesn't get you any closer to a proper rebuild. Perry's draft record is horrifying. Leon's so far is questionable. So I have 0 confidence the Knicks would make the right pick, unless a generational prospect like Wembayama fell into their laps.

I don't know if we disagree on Obi. I don't hold a firm opinion about Obi. I'm agnostic about him more than anything, because I don't think the sample size is large enough for me to express any strong judgement.

Good wings are hard to come by, you're right, but RJ doesn't fit that profile 3 years in, and is being surpassed by a number of his peers (Bane, Edwards, Scottie Barnes, Cade, Haliburton, Maxey, Herro, Poole off the top of my head).

RJ's stock has been falling since high-school. From #1 high-school prospect to #3 pick, from #3 pick to not making either All-Rookie team (and rightfully so, which is what matters), from a promising young talent to the second most inefficient volume scorer in the entire NBA. It's not looking good.

If you don't hold a firm opinion how can you say he's not a good player? Make that make sense :lol: You can't be agnostic about him if you're putting him in the same class as 3 players you don't like. Obi has good advanced stats, even with how bad his rookie season was his advanced stats were still fairly even, this year they say he's good and should be getting a lot more time than he got. All he needs is playing time, and if we get a PG he can play off of he'll be even better than he is now, which is already promising player to begin with.

No, RJ does fit that profile but you're being too stubborn about it and you will eventually die on that hill. There are very few wings under 23 years old right now that project as two way players, RJ is one of them. It's not looking good to you because you're so dogmatic about TS% that you can't even see the actual progression as a player that he made.

Which class did I put Obi in? I honestly don't know what exactly you are referring to.

I don't think Obi has played enough for me to express judgement on whether he's a good player or not. What we know is he's a highly efficient, high-impact big coming off the bench. It's significant, it's relevant, but it doesn't tell me much about his upside as a starter. He's a good player in his role. Can his role be expanded? I don't know.

I think Obi's suffered from an exceptional set of mitigating circumstances: Randle making an All-NBA team, and Thibs being the one coach who doesn't have a small-ball unit and who's religiously married to rim protection. No other young player has been affected by external circumstances more than he has.

I have already changed my mind on RJ once. Why would I "die on that hill"? Doesn't me changing my mind once show that I'm flexible?

RJ has unquestionably expanded his skill set a bit, but his game has very little substance. He's not a good defender, he's not a willing passer, and he's one of the most inefficient volume scorers in the NBA. I'm surprised you're encouraged by that, knowing how critical you are of Randle (and rightfully so), and how RJ's outlook resembles Randle's. RJ doesn't project as a quality two-way wing in my opinion. He's a 0-way wing.

This is hyperbole. I can agree that he is a high-volume low efficient scorer this year. I think the whole fandom is seeing him grow organically and not seeing what he is now. You don't think he can improve his efficiency? We are all betting on him to be better because of his work ethic and motivation. That's why we're supporting and betting on him.

I do not agree with your explanation on defense when the last thread or post did show that RJ statistically is an above-average defender. So are you using eye test for RJ's defense?
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,522

Post#42 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun May 8, 2022 8:00 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

If you don't hold a firm opinion how can you say he's not a good player? Make that make sense :lol: You can't be agnostic about him if you're putting him in the same class as 3 players you don't like. Obi has good advanced stats, even with how bad his rookie season was his advanced stats were still fairly even, this year they say he's good and should be getting a lot more time than he got. All he needs is playing time, and if we get a PG he can play off of he'll be even better than he is now, which is already promising player to begin with.

No, RJ does fit that profile but you're being too stubborn about it and you will eventually die on that hill. There are very few wings under 23 years old right now that project as two way players, RJ is one of them. It's not looking good to you because you're so dogmatic about TS% that you can't even see the actual progression as a player that he made.

Which class did I put Obi in? I honestly don't know what exactly you are referring to.

I don't think Obi has played enough for me to express judgement on whether he's a good player or not. What we know is he's a highly efficient, high-impact big coming off the bench. It's significant, it's relevant, but it doesn't tell me much about his upside as a starter. He's a good player in his role. Can his role be expanded? I don't know.

I think Obi's suffered from an exceptional set of mitigating circumstances: Randle making an All-NBA team, and Thibs being the one coach who doesn't have a small-ball unit and who's religiously married to rim protection. No other young player has been affected by external circumstances more than he has.

I have already changed my mind on RJ once. Why would I "die on that hill"? Doesn't me changing my mind once show that I'm flexible?

RJ has unquestionably expanded his skill set a bit, but his game has very little substance. He's not a good defender, he's not a willing passer, and he's one of the most inefficient volume scorers in the NBA. I'm surprised you're encouraged by that, knowing how critical you are of Randle (and rightfully so), and how RJ's outlook resembles Randle's. RJ doesn't project as a quality two-way wing in my opinion. He's a 0-way wing.

This is hyperbole. I can agree that he is a high-volume low efficient scorer this year. I think the whole fandom is seeing him grow organically and not seeing what he is now. You don't think he can improve his efficiency? We are all betting on him to be better because of his work ethic and motivation. That's why we're supporting and betting on him.

I do not agree with your explanation on defense when the last thread or post did show that RJ statistically is an above-average defender. So are you using eye test for RJ's defense?

I never, ever said RJ could not improve his efficiency. On the contrary, I have stated that I expect his efficiency to improve over time.

So I agree with you that he can improve his efficiency. My concern is that he is so far below league-average in efficiency that even a significant improvement might not be enough for him to reach even league-average, let alone to become an efficient scorer, especially as a high-volume scorer. Some players have done it, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I think it would be easier for him to become efficient if he were reined back in as a 3&D, but even then some of the numbers are pretty discouraging re: his inefficiency from the corners.

Those stats are about his defense in isolation, on a very small sample size (59 possessions). They don't tell the story of his overall defense re: Melo. I rely mostly on the eye test for defense, but neither the eye test nor the defensive metrics tell me that he's a good defender. I think he's largely mediocre on that end of the floor. But the fact that he's been effective in ISO situations is an encouraging fact, and hopefully something to build on as we transition to next season.
KnicksNext
Veteran
And1: 1,509

Post#43 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 9:11 pm

damedash09 wrote:Unless Leon Rose somehow gets a top number 1 option player [ the true elites in the league] in here which isn't likely to happen many will view his time here as a failure

He makes a move for mitchell- he's not good enough and doesn't get the team out of round 1

Jalen brunson- many will complain he overpaid for him if a sign and trade ever happens and while Brunson is. Solid player he isn't going to take a team to the top

If you get the vets out of here and the young guys play winning 25 games rose will get crushed

If the team gets back to the playoffs and doesn't get of round 1 people will be mad, they somehow get to round 2 it's a failure, they miss the playoffs people will be mad. Unless Leon Rose gets extreme luck their is just no way this team is a contender any time soon

All excellent points, but a huge part of those potential issues are his fault. Never should have paid Randle, signed Kemba/Noel/Burks/Fournier. He put the team in this position so he deserves to take the heat.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#44 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 9:14 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He has nobody to blame but himself, how different would things be right now had he moved Randle before the start of the 2020 season or at the deadline? Just getting off Randle at that time and ending up with any of the top 8 picks it the 2021 draft would have been far more beneficial than making the playoffs.

The Knicks with Leon and Perry would have picked Suggs, guaraneffingteed. He fits Perry's archetype to a tee. You're not going anywhere so long as incompetent people have a voice within your organization.

I guess you're suggesting Suggs won't be good? He was a rookie and didn't have a terrible year. He still has a chance to be a great player in this league, and personally, I don't doubt that he will. Some players take a few years to get it going. He's a proven winner and a known hard worker. Don't put him in the dumpster just yet. He has all the skills to be great.

By the way, what a f*cking draft, huh? Might go down as the best ever. And the Knicks decided that trading away a 1st, and trading down in possibly the best draft of all time was a good idea. :banghead:
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#45 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 9:17 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
damedash09 wrote:Unless Leon Rose somehow gets a top number 1 option player [ the true elites in the league] in here which isn't likely to happen many will view his time here as a failure

He makes a move for mitchell- he's not good enough and doesn't get the team out of round 1

Jalen brunson- many will complain he overpaid for him if a sign and trade ever happens and while Brunson is. Solid player he isn't going to take a team to the top

If you get the vets out of here and the young guys play winning 25 games rose will get crushed

If the team gets back to the playoffs and doesn't get of round 1 people will be mad, they somehow get to round 2 it's a failure, they miss the playoffs people will be mad. Unless Leon Rose gets extreme luck their is just no way this team is a contender any time soon

Rose will absolutely [b]not get crushed if RJ, Obi, and Quick lead the Knicks to 25 wins while selling the fans on the hope of the youth...[/b]

Why not? How did the fans feel about having the worst record in the NBA in hopes of drafting Zion? We suffered through a mish-mash of young players leading the way, with bad coaching...all on the basis of hope..

25 wins is good for a top 5 pick to add to the young core...could end up drafting your cornerstone superstar. The difference is now our young core is more intriguing than anything on that old Knicks roster and the coach is better.

I disagree. I think a lot of us here think RealGM represents most Knicks fans, and I don't think it does. We are typically pretty knowledgeable here. Dolan wants no part of 2-3 years of 25-30 win basketball, and I don't believe the fans (outside of RealGM) can accept that either.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#46 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 9:23 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:

Rose will absolutely not get crushed if RJ, Obi, and Quick lead the Knicks to 25 wins while selling the fans on the hope of the youth...

Why not? How did the fans feel about having the worst record in the NBA in hopes of drafting Zion? We suffered through a mish-mash of young players leading the way, with bad coaching...all on the basis of hope..

25 wins is good for a top 5 pick to add to the young core...could end up drafting your cornerstone superstar. The difference is now our young core is more intriguing than anything on that old Knicks roster and the coach is better.

Facts plus we'll win more than 25 games off the strength of RJ, Obi, Grimes and IQ alone... Maybe not if Mitch isn't back idk

I know you're always so super positive about all of our youth, but what do you see that know those players are good enough to get wins in this league? That group is not very talented (compared to youth across the league).

I think they're all role players (could be good ones), but role players alone do not win in this league, especially when they don't have solid vets to lead them.

Don't get me wrong, I would be okay if the Knicks committed to the youth and tried to build through the draft. I would actually love it. But with Randle/Fournier, Burks, Noel, DRose, etc.,

I highly doubt we'll go that direction. Rose would know that winning 25-30 games for a few years would most likely cost him his job, so he's going to try to 'win now' with his guy Thibs leading the way.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,510

Post#47 » by Iron Mantis » Sun May 8, 2022 9:49 pm

KnicksNext wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:

Rose will absolutely [b]not get crushed if RJ, Obi, and Quick lead the Knicks to 25 wins while selling the fans on the hope of the youth...[/b]

I disagree. I think a lot of us here think RealGM represents most Knicks fans, and I don't think it does. We are typically pretty knowledgeable here. Dolan wants no part of 2-3 years of 25-30 win basketball, and I don't believe the fans (outside of RealGM) can accept that either.

I understand your points.

However, Knicks fans are generally accepted as being the most knowledgeable among all NBA fans, with NYC residents being the most knowledgeable about sports, period.

The media vultures tend to pick up on the pulse of the overall fanbase and write about it. I don't remember hearing any real complaints from the media or anywhere else when the Knicks were tanking for Zion.

Real talk...we all just KNEW we were getting our franchise player (Zion) to pair with KD. :lol:
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#48 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun May 8, 2022 9:51 pm

KnicksNext wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He has nobody to blame but himself, how different would things be right now had he moved Randle before the start of the 2020 season or at the deadline? Just getting off Randle at that time and ending up with any of the top 8 picks it the 2021 draft would have been far more beneficial than making the playoffs.

The Knicks with Leon and Perry would have picked Suggs, guaraneffingteed. He fits Perry's archetype to a tee. You're not going anywhere so long as incompetent people have a voice within your organization.

I guess you're suggesting Suggs won't be good? He was a rookie and didn't have a terrible year. He still has a chance to be a great player in this league, and personally, I don't doubt that he will. Some players take a few years to get it going. He's a proven winner and a known hard worker. Don't put him in the dumpster just yet. He has all the skills to be great.

By the way, what a f*cking draft, huh? Might go down as the best ever. And the Knicks decided that trading away a 1st, and trading down in possibly the best draft of all time was a good idea. :banghead:

I don't know. He could turn out to be great. The early evidence suggests he probably won't, but you never know. I haven't watched him enough to tell, but the statistical picture is pretty grim.

My point was moreso that the Knicks FO likely would have made the wrong pick, because I don't trust their talent evaluation, from pro scouting to draft scouting.

This FO would not have had the foresight to draft Barnes over Suggs in my opinion. I'm confident about that.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#49 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 9:54 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:Rose will absolutely [b]not get crushed if RJ, Obi, and Quick lead the Knicks to 25 wins while selling the fans on the hope of the youth...[/b]

I understand your points.

However, Knicks fans are generally accepted as being the most knowledgeable among all NBA fans, with NYC residents being the most knowledgeable about sports, period.

The media vultures tend to pick up on the pulse of the overall fanbase and write about it. I don't remember hearing any real complaints from the media or anywhere else when the Knicks were tanking for Zion.

Real talk...we all just KNEW we were getting our franchise player (Zion) to pair with KD. :lol:

:banghead: :lol:

Again, why am I here? What is the point? Why do I do this to myself?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#50 » by Marty McFly » Sun May 8, 2022 9:55 pm

Leon Rose made his bed with Randle. they tried to emulate what the Nets did prior to landing Kyrie and Durant (I.E. try to appear competitive) all the while not having free agents of that caliber available who would view them as competent.

This **** is not complicated when you have all of your picks. You tank to get the best chance at drafting a franchise player. You do the best you can at scouting and drafting. If you land on franchise changer, your life gets exponentially easier. The only team in the league that seemingly does not under stand that, is the New York Knicks.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#51 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 9:57 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Knicks with Leon and Perry would have picked Suggs, guaraneffingteed. He fits Perry's archetype to a tee. You're not going anywhere so long as incompetent people have a voice within your organization.

I don't know. He could turn out to be great. The early evidence suggests he probably won't, but you never know. I haven't watched him enough to tell, but the statistical picture is pretty grim.

My point was moreso that the Knicks FO likely would have made the wrong pick, because I don't trust their talent evaluation, from pro scouting to draft scouting.

This FO would not have had the foresight to draft Barnes over Suggs in my opinion. I'm confident about that.

Agree 100%. I was pushing Barnes to anyone who would listen before the draft (not for us, but in general). He's a stud already. A really unique player and I think a player that will eventually lead to winning. I like how Toronto has built their roster. All those big, long wings, and they're young too. Another roster I would love to have. Really sucks being a Knicks fan.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#52 » by KnicksNext » Sun May 8, 2022 10:04 pm

I'm shocked to see several really knowledgeable posters here dying on RJ's hill. Nothing wrong with trying to have hope, but I don't see it. He's gonna make a ton of money in this league, and be in the league a long time. But nothing I see suggests he projects as a player that can lead a team anywhere in the playoffs. In my view, I see a 4-6 player on a good team. Maybe a 3? I don't know. I don't really see that either.

But, we're all entitled to our opinions, and the good thing about all of this is that we'll all find out who is right or wrong in the next few years. I pray all you guys are right, but I'm with Chanel. I don't see it.
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#53 » by Iron Mantis » Sun May 8, 2022 10:07 pm

KnicksNext wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:Rose will absolutely not get crushed if RJ, Obi, and Quick lead the Knicks to 25 wins while selling the fans on the hope of the youth...

Facts plus we'll win more than 25 games off the strength of RJ, Obi, Grimes and IQ alone... Maybe not if Mitch isn't back idk

I know you're always so super positive about all of our youth, but what do you see that know those players are good enough to get wins in this league? That group is not very talented (compared to youth across the league).

I think they're all role players (could be good ones), but role players alone do not win in this league, especially when they don't have solid vets to lead them.

Don't get me wrong, I would be okay if the Knicks committed to the youth and tried to build through the draft. I would actually love it. But with Randle/Fournier, Burks, Noel, DRose, etc.,

I highly doubt we'll go that direction. Rose would know that winning 25-30 games for a few years would most likely cost him his job, so he's going to try to 'win now' with his guy Thibs leading the way.

We tend to overrate our youth...but sometimes we can underrate them too. NBA is a team sport, and our youth fit well together, and play well together.

All the young guys play defense, play for each other, and give max effort...that alone will win you quite a few games. The grizzlies have young guys doing just that..so they can win regular season games with, or without Ja.

The vets like Taj, D.Rose, Burks can stabilize the locker room and keep the team serious on the court, at practice, and in huddles, but the vets should not be featured as the face of the team. The kids should form the team's identity.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,372

Post#54 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon May 9, 2022 12:26 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:Bro I was referring to Suggs, not Obi :lol:

Chanel Bomber wrote:
This franchise had four top 10 picks in a row and they selected Frank, Knox, RJ and Obi. None of these players has proven to be merely a good NBA player.

You clearly say Obi is in the same category as Knox and Frank, ie not good players, then later you try to say you're agnostic about him being good.

- Melo scored pretty high in isolation scoring in some years, and never ranked below the 50th percentile since isolation defense started being tracked. Was he a good defender on the whole? You know the answer to that. I see the same with RJ. The sample size is pretty small too (59 possessions), so you have to wonder if there isn't some year-to-year variance since he ranked low in the previous two years. Let's see what the numbers look like next year. I think overall he has been very disappointing as a defender. Does he have the potential to become a decent defender? Sure. But I think his lack of foot speed will prevent him from becoming a stand-out defensive player.

Is this a joke? Being in the 87th percentile when you're primary on the opponents best offensive option and where Melo fell are entirely two different things. This is such a bad and biased attempt at an argument that you may as well just say "Man F**k RJ" cause there's no reasoning with you and I'd respect that more than the long responses. Case in point, talking about variance when someone is in their 3rd season and mentioning sample size of isolation possessions. Just an example of how silly that point about the possessions are, Bridges only had 68 possessions in isolation, Smart had 41, Holiday had 40, Thybulle had 47. He literally had more possessions defending in isolation than 3 of the 4 all-defensive guards/wings, somehow that isn't enough of a sample size.

I feel like you make an argument hoping nobody checks the numbers, but I will. Also it doesn't matter what you think or how you feel about him as a defender, those numbers speak for themselves and no amount of you trying to discredit them will make me stop using them.

- About offense, my arguments rests on more than TS%. But he's an aggressive scorer who doesn't provide much besides scoring. So naturally his scoring efficiency matters more for him than players like Lamelo or Garland who also set up their teammates for efficient shots in addition to scoring. In addition to being inefficient, he's also a high-volume scorer (as opposed to last year where he was more muted), which further damages his impact. I don't put much stock into impact stats, but none of them depicts him as an impact player on offense. And he has regressed incredibly as a floor spacer, ranking dead last in efficiency from the corners after one good year from 3 (where teams mostly left him wide open to overload on Randle or Rose). So where does the positive contribution come from?

So, you're comparing him to point guards? When I have continued to say over and over again he's one of the very few two way wings under 23 years old in the league, you come back with two point guards who are actually terrible defenders? This is how unreasonable you have become, you have to go to two guys who don't play the same position because you know there are so few wings that play both sides of the floor. The point of RJ is that he projects as someone who can score, and who can defend, you know a two way wing, which is what he's actually been projecting at whether you see it or not. If he gives us a Jaylen Brown impersonation that would go further towards us being a winning team than any of these other players you keep mentioning.

- You mention becoming a better free throw shooter or making an extra lay-up like it's an easy thing to do and something we can count on. Not necessarily. LeBron is one of the hardest workers in the league and he never really improved his FT%. As far as finishing is concerned, it's hard to fix a lack of touch or athletic ability. I expect RJ to improve his TS% over the next few years. By how much is really the question, because he's so far away from league-average. Jamal Mashburn and Jrue Holiday - two of his closest statistical comps at age 21 or year 3 (Mashburn being by far the closest) - eventually reached league-average so I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility.

I have no doubt that he will improve on it, and he'll get stronger as well. Can you name some 23 and under two way wings for me, since we have to move him and he's not that good, please show me some of his peers that project out to being scorers and defenders. I want to see who you name to be honest, because once you start this exercise you'll quickly notice just how few of them there are.

RJ/Randle was not meant as a 1-to-1 comparison. They play different styles of basketball, and they have very different mental make-ups. But they share a lot of similarities: inefficient scorers, unreliable jumpshooters, mediocre athletes, a tendency to force the issue, and selfish in their own peculiar ways.

The RJ/Randle comparison is the epitome of laziness, and just use as a "gotcha", because you see the 21 yr old the same as the guy who has been in the league for 8 years, as though they're on the same development path. It's why you have to throw qualifiers on saying RJ is selfish, because you know once the numbers come out they blow holes in what you're saying, for instance RJ didn't even lead the team in touches when Randle was out, but Randle averaged 96.5 touches per game the 2nd time RJ was out :lol: If RJ were even half as selfish as you say he would have cracked 80 touches per game, but he didn't do that, because he's fine with letting the offense work without being involved in every play.

One guy who can't play within the offense and the guy who can play within it aren't the same, no matter what their games look like to you.
ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,756

Post#55 » by ezmoney707 » Mon May 9, 2022 1:02 am

Lol no he’s not , he just has to pivot and admit they got things wrong, it will either be him or another front office cleaning up the hiccups he’s made , might as well be him if he’s smart.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#56 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 9, 2022 1:29 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Chanel Bomber wrote:
This franchise had four top 10 picks in a row and they selected Frank, Knox, RJ and Obi. None of these players has proven to be merely a good NBA player.

You clearly say Obi is in the same category as Knox and Frank, ie not good players, then later you try to say you're agnostic about him being good.

- Melo scored pretty high in isolation scoring in some years, and never ranked below the 50th percentile since isolation defense started being tracked. Was he a good defender on the whole? You know the answer to that. I see the same with RJ. The sample size is pretty small too (59 possessions), so you have to wonder if there isn't some year-to-year variance since he ranked low in the previous two years. Let's see what the numbers look like next year. I think overall he has been very disappointing as a defender. Does he have the potential to become a decent defender? Sure. But I think his lack of foot speed will prevent him from becoming a stand-out defensive player.

Is this a joke? Being in the 87th percentile when you're primary on the opponents best offensive option and where Melo fell are entirely two different things. This is such a bad and biased attempt at an argument that you may as well just say "Man F**k RJ" cause there's no reasoning with you and I'd respect that more than the long responses. Case in point, talking about variance when someone is in their 3rd season and mentioning sample size of isolation possessions. Just an example of how silly that point about the possessions are, Bridges only had 68 possessions in isolation, Smart had 41, Holiday had 40, Thybulle had 47. He literally had more possessions defending in isolation than 3 of the 4 all-defensive guards/wings, somehow that isn't enough of a sample size.

I feel like you make an argument hoping nobody checks the numbers, but I will. Also it doesn't matter what you think or how you feel about him as a defender, those numbers speak for themselves and no amount of you trying to discredit them will make me stop using them.

- About offense, my arguments rests on more than TS%. But he's an aggressive scorer who doesn't provide much besides scoring. So naturally his scoring efficiency matters more for him than players like Lamelo or Garland who also set up their teammates for efficient shots in addition to scoring. In addition to being inefficient, he's also a high-volume scorer (as opposed to last year where he was more muted), which further damages his impact. I don't put much stock into impact stats, but none of them depicts him as an impact player on offense. And he has regressed incredibly as a floor spacer, ranking dead last in efficiency from the corners after one good year from 3 (where teams mostly left him wide open to overload on Randle or Rose). So where does the positive contribution come from?

So, you're comparing him to point guards? When I have continued to say over and over again he's one of the very few two way wings under 23 years old in the league, you come back with two point guards who are actually terrible defenders? This is how unreasonable you have become, you have to go to two guys who don't play the same position because you know there are so few wings that play both sides of the floor. The point of RJ is that he projects as someone who can score, and who can defend, you know a two way wing, which is what he's actually been projecting at whether you see it or not. If he gives us a Jaylen Brown impersonation that would go further towards us being a winning team than any of these other players you keep mentioning.

- You mention becoming a better free throw shooter or making an extra lay-up like it's an easy thing to do and something we can count on. Not necessarily. LeBron is one of the hardest workers in the league and he never really improved his FT%. As far as finishing is concerned, it's hard to fix a lack of touch or athletic ability. I expect RJ to improve his TS% over the next few years. By how much is really the question, because he's so far away from league-average. Jamal Mashburn and Jrue Holiday - two of his closest statistical comps at age 21 or year 3 (Mashburn being by far the closest) - eventually reached league-average so I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility.

I have no doubt that he will improve on it, and he'll get stronger as well. Can you name some 23 and under two way wings for me, since we have to move him and he's not that good, please show me some of his peers that project out to being scorers and defenders. I want to see who you name to be honest, because once you start this exercise you'll quickly notice just how few of them there are.

RJ/Randle was not meant as a 1-to-1 comparison. They play different styles of basketball, and they have very different mental make-ups. But they share a lot of similarities: inefficient scorers, unreliable jumpshooters, mediocre athletes, a tendency to force the issue, and selfish in their own peculiar ways.

The RJ/Randle comparison is the epitome of laziness, and just use as a "gotcha", because you see the 21 yr old the same as the guy who has been in the league for 8 years, as though they're on the same development path. It's why you have to throw qualifiers on saying RJ is selfish, because you know once the numbers come out they blow holes in what you're saying, for instance RJ didn't even lead the team in touches when Randle was out, but Randle averaged 96.5 touches per game the 2nd time RJ was out :lol: If RJ were even half as selfish as you say he would have cracked 80 touches per game, but he didn't do that, because he's fine with letting the offense work without being involved in every play.

One guy who can't play within the offense and the guy who can play within it aren't the same, no matter what their games look like to you.

Yes, I said Obi hasn't proven to be a good NBA player. He has been good in his role as a back-up, but surely our standard for being a "good" NBA player is more than 17 minutes per game back-up. I didn't say he was "bad". I said he hasn't proven to be "good" - with the disclaimer that he really hasn't had the opportunity to prove it in New York.

As far as the ISO defense numbers, I brought them up, as I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised. We're debating those numbers, no need to resort to some emotive "there's no reasoning with you" type of response (or to questioning my intent) that you're way above of. Either we're debating or we're not.

But back to the topic #1 I don't how these possessions are tracked, as the numbers seem low for all the players, not just RJ with 59 tracked possessions. He ranked in the 29th percentile last season on only 53 tracked possessions, so I do think there might be some variance either way. What these numbers say is that he was good/great at defending ISOs this season, not that he was a good/great defender. These stats are context-dependent. I'm fine with saying RJ was great at defending ISOs this past season. I'll say he's a good/great ISO defender if he can sustain it for longer than one season. Two seasons in a row should give us a better idea.

Melo was a decent man-to-man defender in New York even before these playtypes were tracked. Yet, he was still an awful team defender, and on the whole a mediocre (at best) defender. I don't think RJ's as bad as Melo as a team defender, but I think he's pretty weak in that aspect of defense. On the whole, I think he's mediocre on that end of the floor as of today, even as he had a very good year in terms of isolation defense. ISO defense is one aspect of defense was my point.

I brought up talented point guards because quality playmaking can help offset some deficiencies in individual scoring efficiency. A smart playmaker will create and find easy shots for their teammates, thus elevating the team's scoring efficiency. So it offers them a little bit of leeway as far as their own scoring is concerned, that pure/aggressive scorers (who don't offer much in terms of playmaking) like RJ simply don't have. I was not comparing RJ to Garland and Lamelo per se. Just making the point that RJ doesn't offer much offensively besides scoring (maybe some offensive rebounds since he's a driver? Genuinely asking), so his scoring efficiency is more relevant for him than other players who might elevate their team's efficiency in other ways. I don't see how this is controversial.

I personally think you're focusing too much on the 2-way wing archetype that you seemingly have already decided RJ matches, or will match. I think it's mostly theoretical, or hypothetical at this stage, but maybe you do acknowledge that. I don't think he fits the criteria of a quality two-way wing. Not yet at least. Will he? It's debatable. There's a number of young NBA wings I would pick ahead of RJ in a hypothetical draft, regardless of 2-way, 1-way, 0-way, including Bane, Poole, Maxey, Barnes, Mikal, Herro, *Edwards and Haliburton. I view RJ as an inefficient scorer and a mediocre defender - so he doesn't qualify as two-way to me right now. I respect your confidence regarding his ability to meet that standard in the future - I guess I'm more skeptical than you. I have already said I will admit to being wrong if he ever averages 20ppg on above-average efficiency, so we will see. If he becomes an elite defender, which is less quantifiable, same thing. I just don't think ISO defense numbers are a barometer for being a good defender on the whole.

I think both Randle and RJ were selfish at times this season. As I already said, it wasn't meant to be an exact comparison, and I know full well that RJ is younger than Randle. But I think they share similarities that I've already outlined. Randle with his ball-dominant ways obviously has a more deflating effect on the team, and you can make the case he plays more selfishly. He also passed the ball more often per touch than RJ (67% vs 57%), which doesn't reflect well on RJ either.

I'm not interested in debating who is worse. I didn't like the way either player performed or carried themselves this season. Randle was probably worse because of the body language, and the expectation that he was our "leader". Randle I have simply given up on because the financial commitment has already been made and I have already reached the acceptance stage of grief.
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#57 » by Iron Mantis » Mon May 9, 2022 1:39 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Chanel Bomber wrote:

rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,349

Post#58 » by rajajackal » Mon May 9, 2022 1:45 am

i like rj because he is a durable leader with a winning mentality and many years ahead of him. i am under no illusion that he is going to become a superstar. therefore he's not untouchable in a trade for a superstar, but i'd otherwise prefer to give him more time on our team
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,488

Post#59 » by Synciere » Mon May 9, 2022 11:09 am

Is this a long winded way of saying he should’ve tanked? Because that’s what it sounds like.

You don’t have to have a KD or Lebron to win. You don’t have to have a top 3 pick every year. You just need to hit on your draft picks, wherever they are, but especially in the lottery. Talent that you can build with and around is available every year in the lottery.

The only deal right now on our roster that’s a bad deal is Fournier. That’s assuming Randle is something in between this past year and 2020-2021. We have young talent, expiring deals, and our own picks plus some.

We’re actually not in terrible shape at all.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#60 » by blanko » Mon May 16, 2022 12:43 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:

Rose will absolutely not get crushed if RJ, Obi, and Quick lead the Knicks to 25 wins while selling the fans on the hope of the youth...

Youre talking about thr hard cores

Return to New York Knicks