ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread: Knicks pick 11th and 42nd

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Will we finally get lucky and get a top 5 pick or are we cursed forever

Knicks get a top 5 pick
16%
Cursed forever
84%

Total votes: 100

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,311

Re: Draft Thread: Knicks pick 11th and 42nd 

Post#1921 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:01 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'm more interested in what happens with the 42nd pick

Brock will work his magic to flip it around 5 times and find a way to save enough money so we can bring back Elf
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#1922 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:01 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Thibs playing the worthless vets to get random wins and you are worried about bottoming out?

We should enjoy that 11-16 spot for the next few years. :lol:

So we agree that the vets are better than the kids since they get us more meaningless wins? :lol:

I don't expect the Knicks to bottom out.

But I expect the Knicks to end up in the lottery again.

And a 2% chance to draft Wembayama is better odds than whatever chance of success we'd have with this core and Ivey. Unless you think Ivey's a generational talent, which he might turn out to be (I haven't watched him at all so I don't know).

I'm not trading a first in the draft where a generational prospect is expected to enter the league to trade up for an unknown commodity. That's just my perspective.

Alec Burks is probably a better player than Grimes in his rookie year. That doesn't mean you should play a 30 year old going nowhere over a rookie when your team generally is going nowhere.

Its bad development and asset allocation. We have been down this road. Just because someone gives you a slightly better chance to win now doesn't mean its the right person to play. Because the idea is you want to get that young and cheap player to a position where he is better at a minimum cost instead of overpaying worthless mercenary vets.

I was just playing with the contradiction that I have seen a couple of times (not from you specifically) that the youth are better than the vets yet playing the vets hurts our lottery odds :lol:

I don't think Burks and Grimes are comparable because Thibs played them in different roles. If anything, the conflicts are between Burks and IQ, and between Fournier and Grimes, because those are the roles where you could see IQ and Grimes getting more minutes. But to be fair, Thibs stuck with IQ through his struggles even though he didn't start, and Grimes's playing time was continuously expanding before he got hurt. So I don't really see a major issue as far as those players are concerned. I do think their roles need to expand next year though.

I don't think it's unfair of Thibs to play the guys he feels gives them the best chance to win. His mandate as a coach is to win games. I 100% blame the front office for signing Fournier in the first place, and not being able to trim the rotation with a Burks/Fournier trade at the trade deadline. Trading for Cam without a subsequent move was idiotic.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#1923 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:11 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ZeroStatic2 wrote:I just have this feeling we might trade back in the draft and acquire more assets which is what we have done in the past two drafts.

1. We don’t have room on the roster for all of these extra draft picks.

2. There’s a pretty decent drop off in talent after the lottery.

I believe the point he's making is that if that if the targeted guy is gone, they may move back for a switch and a future #1. Which stock piles more assets.

I understand the theory, I just don’t see it playing out like that. Even if we stay at 11, we’ll get a good player.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#1924 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:20 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:So we agree that the vets are better than the kids since they get us more meaningless wins? :lol:

I don't expect the Knicks to bottom out.

But I expect the Knicks to end up in the lottery again.

And a 2% chance to draft Wembayama is better odds than whatever chance of success we'd have with this core and Ivey. Unless you think Ivey's a generational talent, which he might turn out to be (I haven't watched him at all so I don't know).

I'm not trading a first in the draft where a generational prospect is expected to enter the league to trade up for an unknown commodity. That's just my perspective.

Alec Burks is probably a better player than Grimes in his rookie year. That doesn't mean you should play a 30 year old going nowhere over a rookie when your team generally is going nowhere.

Its bad development and asset allocation. We have been down this road. Just because someone gives you a slightly better chance to win now doesn't mean its the right person to play. Because the idea is you want to get that young and cheap player to a position where he is better at a minimum cost instead of overpaying worthless mercenary vets.

I just playing with the contradiction that I have seen a couple of times (not from you specifically) that the youth are better than the vets yet playing the vets hurts our lottery odds :lol:

I don't think Burks and Grimes are comparable because Thibs played them in different roles. If anything, the conflicts are between Burks and IQ, and between Fournier and Grimes, because those are the roles where you could see IQ and Grimes getting more minutes. But to be fair, Thibs stuck with IQ through his struggles even though he didn't start, and Grimes's playing time was continuously expanding before he got hurt. So I don't really see a major issue as far as those players are concerned. I do think their roles need to expand next year though.

I don't think it's unfair of Thibs to play the guys he feels gives them the best chance to win. His mandate as a coach is to win games. I 100% blame the front office for signing Fournier in the first place, and not being able to trim the rotation with a Burks/Fournier trade at the trade deadline. Trading for Cam without a subsequent move was idiotic.

I think most people thought...if the kids win playing more than the vets...so be it. That's a good thing. They did a decent job during that end run...no matter what anyone wants to say about teams not trying...or whatever it was. They played well together and some of them showed a little something. That's all I wanted to see. Win or lose. Burks at PG was atrocious. :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,931

Post#1925 » by F N 11 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:22 pm

Good to see you guys are still locked in. Less Knicks mean less stress. The less I care, the better life feels.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1926 » by F N 11 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:28 pm

DaGawd wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:I knew there was truth Givony bold prediction yesterday……….!!!!!!!!!!!

Read on Twitter

Jaden Ivey Folksssss JADEN IVEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open to it lol

Someone is smart. They always trying these journalism tricks. Everybody know nobody is saying anything with Conviction.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#1927 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:32 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I just playing with the contradiction that I have seen a couple of times (not from you specifically) that the youth are better than the vets yet playing the vets hurts our lottery odds :lol:

I think most people thought...if the kids win playing more than the vets...so be it. That's a good thing. They did a decent job during that end run...no matter what anyone wants to say about teams not trying...or whatever it was. They played well together and some of them showed a little something. That's all I wanted to see. Win or lose. Burks at PG was atrocious. :lol:

Yeah, and I get that.

I'm just not going to blame Thibs for coaching for wins (although he has failed at that). I blame him for being married to rim protection at the 5 (which prevents Obi from getting more minutes), and I blame the front office for creating this logjam on the wings, and a crisis situation at point guard.

Burks was not suited to play PG. He's not a PG. But at least he shot the 3 well. Which helped give RJ and Randle the floor spacing they supposedly needed to succeed, since apparently it cannot be asked of them to be able to shoot.

The situation at point guard was a disaster. Kemba sucked. Rose got hurt. IQ struggled through 2/3rds of the season. McBride couldn't hit the ocean. Let's not forget Burks was arguably our best player in his role when he got promoted to (or cursed with) starting point guard, and I can understand the need for some sense of stability at that position as the season went on.

But if the Knicks trot out MJ as their starting point guard next year, then the front office needs to be fired on the spot, and maybe Thibs too.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1928 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:38 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:I knew there was truth Givony bold prediction yesterday……….!!!!!!!!!!!

Read on Twitter

Knicks are open, unfortunately, every team 1-10 is closed for business as regards the less than compelling wares the Knicks are peddling.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1929 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:40 pm

RandlesCornrows wrote:Y’all think Kings would want Randle + 11 + DAL ‘23 FIRST for the 4th pick?

Absolutely.

Randle and Sabonis would make an excellent pairing, with no defensive or spacing issues to consider. Add in Fox's lack of a consistent jumper and it's a surefire hit.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1930 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:42 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Brock will work his magic to flip it around 5 times and find a way to save enough money so we can bring back Elf

I'm kind of rooting for Elf to come back, but only if we can shed D Rose in the process.

I think it would be neat to reunite Randle and Perry with their favorite PG.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1931 » by F N 11 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:44 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

I'm kind of rooting for Elf to come back, but only if we can shed D Rose in the process.

Nah I think Knicks taking 42 serious. We have a lot of needs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1932 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:46 pm

F N 11 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Nah I think Knicks taking 42 serious. We have a lot of needs.

I legit think they move up from 42 to take a specific player. They'll bundle 42 and a future 2nd rounder and move up anywhere from 3 to 7 spots. Earlier I speculated on the Magic since I believe they have 32 and 35, after picks #1 overall.

I could see the Magic moving #35. Time for Scott Perry to work his charm and connections with the Magic FO and Brock Aller to make it all work asset management wise.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#1933 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:48 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:I just playing with the contradiction that I have seen a couple of times (not from you specifically) that the youth are better than the vets yet playing the vets hurts our lottery odds :lol:

Yeah, and I get that.

I'm just not going to blame Thibs for coaching for wins (although he has failed at that). I blame him for being married to rim protection at the 5 (which prevents Obi from getting more minutes), and I blame the front office for creating this logjam on the wings, and a crisis situation at point guard.

Burks was not suited to play PG. He's not a PG. But at least he shot the 3 well. Which helped give RJ and Randle the floor spacing they supposedly needed to succeed, since apparently it cannot be asked of them to be able to shoot.

The situation at point guard was a disaster. Kemba sucked. Rose got hurt. IQ struggled through 2/3rds of the season. McBride couldn't hit the ocean. Let's not forget Burks was arguably our best player in his role when he got promoted to (or cursed with) starting point guard, and I can understand the need for some sense of stability at that position as the season went on.

But if the Knicks trot out MJ as their starting point guard next year, then the front office needs to be fired on the spot, and maybe Thibs too.

I like Burks in the proper role. I'll give Thibs a little leeway with the attempt but...it wasn't working well at all. It's absolutely on the FO as well. Moreso.
:beer: RIP mags
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,974

Post#1934 » by DaGawd » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:50 pm

Maybe that Randle 46 point outting in Sac caught the eyes of Kings brass
BaF
Washington Wizards
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1935 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:58 pm

DaGawd wrote:Maybe that Randle 46 point outting in Sac caught the eyes of Kings brass

knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#1936 » by knickstape21 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 12:33 am

F N 11 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Read on Twitter

Open to it lol

Someone is smart. They always trying these journalism tricks. Everybody know nobody is saying anything with Conviction.

Classic Begley “reporting” that the Knicks could do either this or that… guy never provides real substance.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#1937 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 12:40 am

Knicks are not getting top 4 pick stop dreaming otherwise you won't know what's real.Image
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#1938 » by 2010 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 12:42 am

knickstape21 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Open to it lol

Classic Begley “reporting” that the Knicks could do either this or that… guy never provides real substance.

Exactly, I literally said it to myself. Dude is a hack.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1939 » by Jay10 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 12:52 am

knickstape21 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Open to it lol

Hard to do when he's just summarizing what Givony and Fischer said yesterday. :lol:
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,481

Post#1940 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jun 2, 2022 12:57 am

Knicks wanted to trade up for Duarte also. We not getting Ivey unless they give up RJ
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks