Warriors
60%
Mavs
7%

Total votes: 67

Montmorencie
Rookie
And1: 828

Re: Around the NBA - the sharp end of the playoffs - Randle snubbed for All NBA 

Post#2121 » by Montmorencie » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:27 am

Capn'O wrote:2016 hurt his legacy too as far as getting deep in the top 10. If they win, this finals recoups a lot. Even Magic was Tragic at one time.

In the current top 10 you have LeBron with epic failure in 2011. Magic in 84. Shaq completely destroyed in 95. Wilt drastically decreased productivity in finals and terrible record. Timmy, Bill, Kareem and Kobe with finals as second fiddles and mediocre stats.

So we only have Michael and Bird somewhat perfect in finals and Larry even lost few. And they played far less than the others, didn't have chance to screw up.

So I don't think Steph legacy is any jeopardy. Get the rings this year and he is for sure top 10 of all time. He gets one more and he rivals Magic for goat pg.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#2122 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:05 am

Capn'O wrote:2016 hurt his legacy too as far as getting deep in the top 10. If they win, this finals recoups a lot. Even Magic was Tragic at one time.

2016 was Curry's 2011 Finals. He was clearly diminished but he did crumble under the pressure of the moment.

The difference between him and LeBron/Magic is that he was stripped of his redemptive arc.

Steph played well in the 3 Finals that followed despite facing much heavier defensive coverage than anybody else on the floor but it was largely ignored because of the opportunistic Durant.

There's something oddly tragic about the way Steph's career has unfolded and shaped his individual legacy since 2015, starting with him getting robbed of FMVP. A championship against Boston with this team would help put some storylines back in their proper perspective. Now he needs to get it done.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#2123 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:24 am

Guano wrote:Well damn never would have guessed that NDoS is kuz
Read on Twitter

Those big wings still need to be able to shoot and play defense.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,035

Post#2124 » by Reign23 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:35 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Wiggins has been the 2nd best player for the Warriors. Brown is the 2nd best Celtic. Versatile wings remain highly valuable. Another win for team RJ!

this
formerly known as knickst4pe
Reign23
RealGM

Post#2125 » by Reign23 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 am

awesome game. steph **** incredible. Wiggins, Klay, Poole and Looney also had good games too. Draymond is so freaking bad, I love that Kerr benched him. Porter was also completely MIA.
best of 3, lets gooo
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#2126 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:17 pm

Steph is one of the greats even without being a good defensive player. He really is one of the few guys who can put a team on his back, but you still need some help

Wiggins offensive boarding was probably the key to this win for me after factoring in Steph’s production
ImageImageImage
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#2127 » by HEZI » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:34 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
HEZI wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
I would argue that things change depending on your matchup. Against this Celtics team, they won’t have the best offense in the league. They have effectively stopped Curry in the 4th quarter, and the rest of the offense is inconsistent or they are liabilities on the defensive end. They need a two way player that can fit in the system while also being able to get the team a bucket in isolation.

Are you sure? Warriors with 55 rebounds tonight vs. 42 for the Celtics. Celtics with only 97 points. Completely different story than the other night when they were killing them on rebounds especially 2nd chance boards. You give any team multiple possessions in a row and they will find a way to punish you. Only 11 off boards for the Cs tonight and 16 for the Warriors. Limit their second chance opportunities and they just aren't that good offensively.

Yup and if not for the Celtics getting historically hot from 3 in the 4th quarter and Horford turning into Reggie Miller in the 4th Warriors could be up 3-1

Celtics shot 40 percent from 3 tonight at home and still lost. Not a good sign

Not only that but it was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in a while. Celtics got the benefit of a ton of calls in their favor.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#2128 » by EricAnderson » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Ehh I feel like whoever wins the title people act like that is the template of how to build a team and only way to win all of a sudden. Did the same thing with the Bucks.

Here’s what’s a constant throughout the history of the NBA that 99 percent of the teams that won titles had.

A very top of the league player.
Reign23
RealGM

Post#2129 » by Reign23 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:36 pm

current draymond is one of the worst offensive players I've ever seen.
in the finals he is averaging 4.3 pts on 30.7% FG / 0% 3FG / 17.9% FT.
yikes.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#2130 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:37 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ehh I feel like whoever wins the title people act like that is the template and only way to win all of a sudden. Did the same thing with the Bucks.

Here’s what’s a constant throughout the history of the NBA that 99 percent of the teams that won titles had.

You're right that generational talent is the predominant factor behind winning championships.

But there have been fundamental changes in the game over time - whether driven by rule changes or the statistical revolution - that shapes the skill set of the players at large and impacts the archetypes that are most valuable.

Having great post defenders was largely essential until the illegal defense rules were changed and zone defense was allowed in the NBA. The rules have changed, making post play less efficient and post defense less important than they used to be (outside of two-three match-ups). You couldn't survive without it in the 70s and 80s.

The analytics revolution is likely not going to go backwards or be undone. The efficiency of the 3 has incentivized players to develop a pull-up 3. The best defense against that is to switch. The best archetype to switch and cover both bigs and smalls is a wing.

Until the next rule change, or a sudden new wave of dominant post-up bigs, switchable wings will likely be the most valuable defensive commodity for the foreseeable future. It's driven by defense. But it could definitely change in the future.

It will be interesting to see how the league adjusts to Zion, if he can stay healthy. Or Wembayama. The league adjust to its best players, because they are hardest to stop. Guys like Grant Williams could be the next generation defensive archetype who can switch but also not be overwhelmed by the physicality of a Zion. But that is dependent on Zion realizing his potential as well.

Most talented players now have a pull-up, and it needs to be accounted for defensively.

Sorry for rambling.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#2131 » by EricAnderson » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:56 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ehh I feel like whoever wins the title people act like that is the template and only way to win all of a sudden. Did the same thing with the Bucks.

You're right that generational talent is the predominant factor behind winning championships.

But there have been fundamental changes in the game over time - whether driven by rule changes or the statistical revolution - that shapes the skill set of the players at large and impacts the archetypes that are most valuable.

Having great post defenders was largely essential until the illegal defense rules were changed and zone defense was allowed in the NBA. The rules have changed, making post play less efficient and post defense less important than they used to be (outside of two-three match-ups). You couldn't survive without it in the 70s and 80s.

The analytics revolution is likely not going to go backwards or be undone. The efficiency of the 3 has incentivized players to develop a pull-up 3. The best defense against that is to switch. The best archetype to switch and cover both bigs and smalls is a wing.

Until the next rule change, or a sudden new wave of dominant post-up bigs, switchable wings will likely be the most valuable defensive commodity for the foreseeable future. It's driven by defense. But it could definitely change in the future.

It will be interesting to see how the league adjusts to Zion, if he can stay healthy. Or Wembayama. The league adjust to its best players, because they are hardest to stop. Guys like Grant Williams could be the next generation defensive archetype who can switch but also not be overwhelmed by the physicality of a Zion. But that is dependent on Zion realizing his potential as well.

Most talented players now have a pull-up, and it needs to be accounted for defensively.

Sorry for rambling.

I agree the games definitely changed and what you once needed to win in terms of position (dominant post playing big man) has changed.

My point is the one constant that you will always need to win titles is a top of the league player.

Which is why I’m so adamant about rebuilding through the draft to try to get that player that way or at the very least get enough valuable young assets through the draft that you can get one via trade if they become available
TKKnicks1
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#2132 » by TKKnicks1 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:56 pm

Steve Kerr sat Draymond for more than 4 minutes in the 4th in a crucial game 4 because according to him he was like playing like trash and Looney wasn't.

When do you think we will find a coach that has the balls and BBIQ to do something like this? I pray and wait eagerly for the day Thibs actually makes a logical substitution.
~I Believe!~
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,609

Post#2133 » by Gravy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:26 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ehh I feel like whoever wins the title people act like that is the template of how to build a team and only way to win all of a sudden. Did the same thing with the Bucks.

Agree with the first part. I like that its a clash of two styles, fast paced up tempo Warriors versus gritty east coast Celtics

The top of the league talent part is kind of like chicken or egg. Jayson Tatum is really good but he still gets disrespect after a bad game, if he played for us half the board would be miserable watching his ups and downs every night. In January when the Celtics and Knicks had the same record I doubt many people thought he would be leading them to a possible championship. The act of performing well in the playoffs makes you a great player; like how people said Giannis was a Robin who needed a Batman to win until he actually won it all.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#2134 » by EricAnderson » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:39 pm

Gravy wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
Read on Twitter

Agree with the first part. I like that its a clash of two styles, fast paced up tempo Warriors versus gritty east coast Celtics

The top of the league talent part is kind of like chicken or egg. Jayson Tatum is really good but he still gets disrespect after a bad game, if he played for us half the board would be miserable watching his ups and downs every night. In January when the Celtics and Knicks had the same record I doubt many people thought he would be leading them to a possible championship. The act of performing well in the playoffs makes you a great player; like how people said Giannis was a Robin who needed a Batman to win until he actually won it all.

But these players especially Giannis were always in the discussion for best player even if they had weaknesses hell Lebron got sh 1t before he won one

So yeah until a player actually wins one there will always be questions about if he can but a player who leads his team to a title eventually is gonna be somebody who was at least in the discussion for a top of the league player or top 5ish at the very least.

A player isn’t gonna come out of nowhere to lead a team to a title where the guy was like the 23rd best player in the league and then he just got hot in the playoffs all of a sudden lol.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,609

Post#2135 » by Gravy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:09 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Gravy wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:

But these players especially Giannis were always in the discussion for best player even if they had weaknesses hell Lebron got sh 1t before he won one

So yeah until a player actually wins one there will always be questions about if he can but a player who leads his team to a title eventually is gonna be somebody who was at least in the discussion for a top of the league player or top 5ish at the very least.

A player isn’t gonna come out of nowhere to lead a team to a title where the guy was like the 23rd best player in the league and then he just got hot in the playoffs all of a sudden lol.

It happens all the time, its rare that someone enters the NBA as a top 10 player, they usually have to work their way up through some uncertainty.

Last year SI had Tatum as the 17th best player, Booker 24th, Morant was 41, Trae Young 29th
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/12/14/top-100-nba-players-2021-daily-cover

Booker was called an empty stats player just 2 years ago.

They got Kemba Walker 31st on that list, things change quickly...oof
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#2136 » by EricAnderson » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:42 pm

Gravy wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
Gravy wrote:Agree with the first part. I like that its a clash of two styles, fast paced up tempo Warriors versus gritty east coast Celtics

It happens all the time, its rare that someone enters the NBA as a top 10 player, they usually have to work their way up through some uncertainty.

Last year SI had Tatum as the 17th best player, Booker 24th, Morant was 41, Trae Young 29th
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/12/14/top-100-nba-players-2021-daily-cover

Booker was called an empty stats player just 2 years ago.

They got Kemba Walker 31st on that list, things change quickly...oof

Yea but those are all extremely talented young players who were ascending even if there were question marks like there were say with Booker

None of those players were mediocre their first few years then all of a sudden became top of the league players that were extremely talented to begin with then finally put it all together.

Even with that said some of those players like Trae I don’t think can be the best player on a championship team because of his defensive deficiencies

Throughout history there are only a handful of guys at a time in the league good enough to be the best player on a title team.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,048

Post#2137 » by Capn'O » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:18 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

2016 was Curry's 2011 Finals. He was clearly diminished but he did crumble under the pressure of the moment.

The difference between him and LeBron/Magic is that he was stripped of his redemptive arc.

Steph played well in the 3 Finals that followed despite facing much heavier defensive coverage than anybody else on the floor but it was largely ignored because of the opportunistic Durant.

There's something oddly tragic about the way Steph's career has unfolded and shaped his individual legacy since 2015, starting with him getting robbed of FMVP. A championship against Boston with this team would help put some storylines back in their proper perspective. Now he needs to get it done.

Tragic Curry???

I believe he is aware of the dynamic. I'm rooting for it too.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#2138 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:13 pm

It was always ridiculous to try and take something away from Curry‘s all time great status or legacy. Pathetic or stupid actually.

All those narratives are nothing but BS and of course that’s also regardless of the outcome of this series.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#2139 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:15 pm

TKKnicks1 wrote:Steve Kerr sat Draymond for more than 4 minutes in the 4th in a crucial game 4 because according to him he was like playing like trash and Looney wasn't.

When do you think we will find a coach that has the balls and BBIQ to do something like this? I pray and wait eagerly for the day Thibs actually makes a logical substitution.

We’d also need a public that understands that Green is still an incredible player.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#2140 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:17 pm

Reign23 wrote:current draymond is one of the worst offensive players I've ever seen.
in the finals he is averaging 4.3 pts on 30.7% FG / 0% 3FG / 17.9% FT.
yikes.

You should maybe watch him pass and screen.

Return to New York Knicks