ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 11th pick, the NY Knicks select???

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,514

Re: With the 11th pick, the NY Knicks select??? 

Post#101 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 pm

Quite a few stars were drafted in that range recently. Some even kickstarted successful rebuilds, like Adebayo and Booker.

At this stage, I have no expectations regarding any prospect, I just hope for the best. But I’m not mad we didn’t move up. I wouldn’t have expected them to make a better decision in the top 4 than at 11. The difference is the expectations will be lower, and maybe healthier.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#102 » by Richard4444 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:32 pm

Maybe it's better to think about who could we get at #25. We picked at #25 in the last 2 drafts. Maybe they really like this spot for some reason (metrics? numerology?) and we end up trading down or up to get it.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,893

Post#103 » by DaGawd » Thu May 19, 2022 6:42 pm

Knicks need to never draft another French player
BaF
Washington Wizards
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,492

Post#104 » by Iron Mantis » Thu May 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Our Front Office does not believe in picking who is left because "they have to". If the guys they really like are unavailable (the higher tier"s guys), they trade down and eventually they get a good player with the #25 pick.

If the Knicks trade down, what are they getting in return? Two late firsts that will be buried behind scrub vets? What's the point?

Better to draft BPA at 11 that isn't a PF.

They would love to get an additional protected 2023 pick (in addition to a mid/late FRP). BPA is very subjective. If they like a bunch of players the same, it's better to trade down and cumulate assets for future trades.

And if the 11th pick turns out to be a star, we'll never hear the end of it..

While those picks will never be used in a trade as Leon "stands pat", and just end up as kids buried behind scrub vets.
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#105 » by Iron Mantis » Thu May 19, 2022 7:01 pm

I can't find any info on it, but have any teams recently traded out of the lottery just to obtain later picks?

To do so, doesn't seem to make sense to me.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,630

Post#106 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 19, 2022 7:37 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Quite a few stars were drafted in that range recently. Some even kickstarted successful rebuilds, like Adebayo and Booker.

At this stage, I have no expectations regarding any prospect, I just hope for the best. But I’m not mad we didn’t move up. I wouldn’t have expected them to make a better decision in the top 4 than at 11. The difference is the expectations will be lower, and maybe healthier.

I'm still hopeful for a deal between us and Portland. Dame needs a big dog to help him on that team and since the ball will stay in his hands and not Randle's it actually could work out. Randle needs a change of scenery. At least, that's the pitch.
Free Palestine
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,514

Post#107 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu May 19, 2022 7:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Quite a few stars were drafted in that range recently. Some even kickstarted successful rebuilds, like Adebayo and Booker.

I'm still hopeful for a deal between us and Portland. Dame needs a big dog to help him on that team and since the ball will stay in his hands and not Randle's it actually could work out. Randle needs a change of scenery. At least, that's the pitch.

If you think it could work out for them, would you entertain the idea of bringing in Lillard then?

Either way, if there's a taker for Randle, you have to dump his contract.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Post#108 » by RHODEY » Thu May 19, 2022 8:18 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Hoping for that too. Wonder who we'd pick at 7. Gotta be someone the dont think wil lbe around @11.Im guessing either, Bennedict Mathurin,Johnny Davis, or Dyson Daniels...
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,061

Post#109 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 19, 2022 8:35 pm

Who is the best 3 & D around our range or stretch 5?
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#110 » by Richard4444 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:38 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
If the Knicks trade down, what are they getting in return? Two late firsts that will be buried behind scrub vets? What's the point?

Better to draft BPA at 11 that isn't a PF.

They would love to get an additional protected 2023 pick (in addition to a mid/late FRP). BPA is very subjective. If they like a bunch of players the same, it's better to trade down and cumulate assets for future trades.

And if the 11th pick turns out to be a star, we'll never hear the end of it..

While those picks will never be used in a trade as Leon "stands pat", and just end up as kids buried behind scrub vets.

You will never know who would be our pick. It is not because the team we traded the pick is competent that we would be competent too. And if they like a bunch of players the same. Maybe neither they know who they would chose.

If there is not a clear talent who stands out in their opinion, it's a good idea to trade down and get more value. We did it in 2 consecutive years and got 2 pretty good players in the process - IQ (23 to 25) and Grimes (21 to 25) - and got 2 future seconds in the process.

I think we will have 4 seconds in 2023 and more 4 in 2024.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#111 » by Richard4444 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm

AJ Grifiin is a CAA dude. If he slips, we will get him for sure...

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,630

Post#112 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 19, 2022 10:48 pm

RHODEY wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Hoping for that too. Wonder who we'd pick at 7. Gotta be someone the dont think wil lbe around @11.Im guessing either, Bennedict Mathurin,Johnny Davis, or Dyson Daniels...

:pray:
Free Palestine
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#113 » by knickstape21 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:10 pm

Juggynaut wrote:
Read on Twitter

Am I the only 1 that likes Mark Williams? He kinda reminds me of Rudy Gobert.

He’s a more coordinated and less dramatic Mitchell Robinson.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Post#114 » by RHODEY » Fri May 20, 2022 3:10 am

knickstape21 wrote:
Juggynaut wrote:
Read on Twitter

Am I the only 1 that likes Mark Williams? He kinda reminds me of Rudy Gobert.

He’s a more coordinated and less dramatic Mitchell Robinson.

He also has more offensive potential.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,077

Post#115 » by blueNorange » Fri May 20, 2022 3:42 am

whoever knicks draft will have people saying grimes sucks and why is he playing over the 11th pick.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,205

Post#116 » by aq_ua » Fri May 20, 2022 4:42 am

Iron Mantis wrote:I can't find any info on it, but have any teams recently traded out of the lottery just to obtain later picks?

Technically, the Mikal Bridges for Zaire Smith + future pick trade was the Sixers trading out of the lottery, but no one thinks about it in those terms.
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#117 » by Iron Mantis » Fri May 20, 2022 4:54 am

aq_ua wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:I can't find any info on it, but have any teams recently traded out of the lottery just to obtain later picks?

Technically, the Mikal Bridges for Zaire Smith + future pick trade was the Sixers trading out of the lottery, but no one thinks about it in those terms.

Thank you for the research.

Seeing as that was a regretful and disastrous trade for the Sixers....I'm even more convinced the Knicks need not explore such a possibility.

The 11th pick should be packaged to move up, not further back.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,205

Post#118 » by aq_ua » Fri May 20, 2022 5:05 am

Iron Mantis wrote:
aq_ua wrote:

Thank you for the research.

Seeing as that was a regretful and disastrous trade for the Sixers....I'm even more convinced the Knicks need not explore such a possibility.

The 11th pick should be packaged to move up, not further back.

I agree, a team with too much quantity and not enough quality like the Knicks needs to think about consolidating assets, not dispersing them. 11th + Dallas 2023 pick to Indiana for the 6th seems like the best case outcome for us.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#119 » by Richard4444 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:17 am

aq_ua wrote:

That 2021 Miami unprotected pick was very tempting at the time. In 2018, Miami looked like a tanking candidate for 2021. Bam was still finding himself. Their best players were the washed Dragic and Richardson. They had just extended Whiteside, James Johnson, and Tyler Johnson in awful long contracts. They also had Walters in top dollar contract. Winslow showed signs he would be a bust. But in the end, they net Butler, and the pick turned into just the #18 pick (Tre Mann selected).

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#120 » by Iron Mantis » Fri May 20, 2022 5:32 am

Richard4444 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:

That 2021 Miami unprotected pick was very tempting at the time. In 2018, Miami looked like a tanking candidate for 2021. Bam was still finding himself. Their best players were the washed Dragic and Richardson. They had just extended Whiteside, James Johnson, and Tyler Johnson in awful long contracts. They also had Walters in top dollar contract. Winslow showed signs he would be a bust. But in the end, they net Butler, and the pick turned into just the #18 pick (Tre Mann selected).

Since Spoelstra became coach, up until that point, the Heat were always competitive and never tanked.

In fact, at that point, in 11 seasons with Spo, the Heat only had 2 seasons under .500 and their worst season was 37 wins.

Dumb move trying to get cute and gambling on Pat tanking instead of just going for the layup and keeping Bridges.

The Knicks can't afford to get cute. Pick BPA at 11 or move up and get one of those guards in the top 7.

Return to New York Knicks