ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 11th pick, the NY Knicks select???

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Re: With the 11th pick, the NY Knicks select??? 

Post#181 » by DrCoach » Thu May 26, 2022 3:20 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:If our coach & developmental staff were better I'd really look at Eason, he's the guy most likely to be converted into a 3. You can never have enough forwards, and I think we're trending too much towards being a smaller team.

Hes the 2nd most productive player in draft with 7’2 wingspan

Id be all over him
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,693

Post#182 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 26, 2022 9:16 pm

And the Knicks, who will be selecting for the Portland Trailblazers, are on the clock for the no. 11 pick.
Free Palestine
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#183 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:35 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:Jeremy Sochan. I think something the Knicks are missing is a very switchable 3/4 who is elite at defense. Sochan isn't ever gonna be your teams star but I believe your out of range for that anyway and anybody who has that mindset at this point are pretenders (the prospects that is). Maybe a 6th man scorer type sonewhere in Branham?

But Sochan to me is that guy with the highest floor at this point of the draft. Reminds me allot of a Nic Batum in that high end supportive role.

You don't think mathurin, duren or Davis have star potential? :-?
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,540

Post#184 » by Guano » Fri May 27, 2022 1:04 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:guan0

:lol:
low ceiling and low floor - hard pass
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#185 » by Meat » Fri May 27, 2022 1:25 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:Jeremy Sochan. I think something the Knicks are missing is a very switchable 3/4 who is elite at defense. Sochan isn't ever gonna be your teams star but I believe your out of range for that anyway and anybody who has that mindset at this point are pretenders (the prospects that is). Maybe a 6th man scorer type sonewhere in Branham?

But Sochan to me is that guy with the highest floor at this point of the draft. Reminds me allot of a Nic Batum in that high end supportive role.

a team with 0 stars should not continue to draft players with 0 star potential
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#186 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri May 27, 2022 1:36 pm

Guano wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:guan0

:lol:
low ceiling and low floor - hard pass

Knicks: two minuses equals plus, great prospect
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,403

Post#187 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 27, 2022 2:24 pm

DrCoach wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:If our coach & developmental staff were better I'd really look at Eason, he's the guy most likely to be converted into a 3. You can never have enough forwards, and I think we're trending too much towards being a smaller team.

Id be all over him

Definitely a defensive and athletic stud, he needs lots of work on his jumper as it's off to the right shoulder.

Compare him to Jeremy Sochan who has high IQ, great defensive 1-5 and jumper is along the same development line:

If Jules gets traded :pray: , we'll need an effective backup for Obi. Whether the FO goes with Taj as a backup we'll see.
Stop All Genocides
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 821

Post#188 » by KOA » Fri May 27, 2022 3:11 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Id be all over him

Definitely a defensive and athletic stud, he needs lots of work on his jumper as it's off to the right shoulder.

Compare him to Jeremy Sochan who has high IQ, great defensive 1-5 and jumper is along the same development line:

If Jules gets traded :pray: , we'll need an effective backup for Obi. Whether the FO goes with Taj as a backup we'll see.

Sochan has great defensive potential, but his offensive game is extremely limited. Given our centers have limited offensive games, Sochan would make it a 3 on 5 matchup. We saw what defensive only players can do with Frank.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#189 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 pm

KOA wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Id be all over him

Sochan has great defensive potential, but his offensive game is extremely limited. Given our centers have limited offensive games, Sochan would make it a 3 on 5 matchup. We saw what defensive only players can do with Frank.

I disagree that he's a complete defensive liability. He can get double doubles on hustle points alone. He also has legit NBA size at 18 and still growing, where as Eason is 21 and slightly short for the 4. In the NBA every inch matters. I see him closer to a Taj Gibson type, who I think was an allstar at some point.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#190 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 27, 2022 5:07 pm

KOA wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Id be all over him

Both players are rather limited offensively but high level defensively. However, if we're going defense IMO, we should draft Duren, especially if Mitch leaves.
Between Fournier if he's coming back, RJ and Grimes, we should be ok offensively at the wing spot. However, Malaki may be a nice pickup but don't see minutes for him if Cam and Fournier are here.

Again that's depending on what the FO has planned for Fournier and Cam. If they stay then we have to seriously have to take a peak at Duren who may be our answer to Bam.
Stop All Genocides
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#191 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat May 28, 2022 12:34 pm

Meat wrote:

We have the 11th pick in a weak draft bruh
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat May 28, 2022 12:35 pm

Meat wrote:

We have the 11th pick in a weak draft bruh. Also and depending on where this offseason goes you need guys who allow guys you had hoped to be stars by now to actually play like stars. So for instance, you want Julius gone for example then RJ must ascend. He did a decent job of stepping up after allstar break. Could've been a fluke idk. But if that may end up his role we actually do lack high end glue guys.

Point is, and I don't know if Reddish can take the next step but at 11 you got allot of guys who are advertised as future stars who'll end up just like Reddish and some guys that never will have that hype but will actually turn out to be decent players. May not have the ceiling he was supposed to have but will step in and help you build your system and culture. I think Sochan is the latter of the two. I mean, what are the realistic options?

Davis
Eason
Branham?

I'd be happy with all 3 of those guys but there's bust potential there that I feel Sochan won't be a part of.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#193 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat May 28, 2022 1:18 pm

KOA wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Id be all over him

I dont think hes that limited. I mean, as limited as Frank or Mitch. Also I think people get too concerned around here about this 4 on 5 or 3 on 5 matchup narrative. We have a defensive coach. To me it should be more concerning that we go 1 on 5 every night defensively as (and I'm just using our projected starting 5 from last yr) we start Kemba/Fournier/RJ/Randle in a starting five.. ..none of which any of us would say are high end defenders.

In fact the only guy we seemingly want to fix around here is the one guy in a the starting lineup who is the elite defender on a team that advertises itself as a defensive team. Perhaps the fans think Mitch or any defender who isn't a scorer is the problem, but I'm sure the reason Thibs feels he can't win games is because he's lacking elite defenders.

As for Sochan specifically I think there's a difference between saying someone can't score and saying someone isn't an isolation threat. It seems around here if you can't isolate that means you can't score. We gotta get back to the mindset that offense comes from plays in which guys take good shots, that there's nothing wrong with a good assisted shot and that ball movement is key. The reason why we SEEMINGLY are in constant need of a guy who can generate a basket is because of our lack of ball movement and the tendencies of a couple of guys (I'm looking at you Julius and RJ) to put their heads down when driving
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#194 » by Zenzibar » Sat May 28, 2022 2:19 pm

Thoughts?

Spurs pick?

Stop All Genocides
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,451

Post#195 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sat May 28, 2022 2:27 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Thoughts?

Spurs pick?

Not a fan. Plays kind of robotic and slow. But he is super young so it could be just lack of experience and confidence. I would pass.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#196 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat May 28, 2022 7:01 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:

You don't think mathurin, duren or Davis have star potential? :-?

No, not really but I do think they are all good players. I guess I should ask how you are defining star player. Including Sochan I believe all 4 are possible nba starters, in Mathurins case probably having potential all the way up to 2nd option.

Mathurin- probable 3rd option starter to possible 2nd option. Contending could even be a 4rth option starter in the modern superteam era.

Davis- floor could be 7th man all the way up to 2nd option. I think hes gonna find the athletes at this level to be a huge adjustment and if he works his way up to that ceiling of 2nd option it'll be off of really hard work and his IQ but no I don't see him as a fast riser instant impact kind of guy.

Duren- hard to define as Centers have a lower value in todays nba but the floor is run of the mill starting C all the way up to recognized good C but still a Center in a league that values Cs less. I don't see him as that elite tier of go to Cs like an Embid or Jokic but that's not me trying to bash him when I say that because really outside of those two players I don't really know any established Cs who you run an offense through.......does Bam qualify? So in a way Durens got the highest floor but limited by current nba philosophy. (Basically the running back analogy)

Sochan to me is no less than a starting caliber, defend the best player on the other team starter with possibilities of being more based on offensive development. He's your future Ron Artest, I already said your Batum. I get why some may want more but it's almost like in one hand I can almost garauntee that floor or we can play games watching Thibs wait 3 yrs to see if your favorite scorer can overtake Quinten Grimes. See what I'm saying? And even Sochan I'm not saying it'll happen yr one but I think by yr 2 he's outworked enough players to pencil him in as a starter regardless of the direction of the team. To me on a good team you'll have to question the opportunity cost of having a 4rth best offensive player or starting him for defensive reasons.

Id put Eason in the same category but Sochan is 2 yrs younger and to me has a few more tools in a structured offense.

I know people gonna get at me with what may seem like a low projection but I've watched alot of drafts folks. EVERYBODY gonna be a star up until draft night and then reality sets in. I agree you look for stars but at pick 11 you're sortve in that range where a bad move gets you Kevin Knox. There will most definitely be a steal somewhere perhaps in the 20s. That always happens too but it's the Knicks yall. If there was a player who with slow development might end up a late bloomer for instance like an Anfernee Simmons on the Trailblazers, trust me we would trade that player before we get to witness it so it's best to focus on guys who have an nba skill within tgier rookie deal. That's just my opinion.

Put it this way. If you're done with Mitchell Robinson after 4 yrs with one season lost, at a position which historically is the longest to develop? If you've been involved in those conversations and can't give that contract to see if he'll take another step ( and I ain't judging you). Then you really don't have the stomach to wait on potential. Find you a guy with a few clear cut nba skills you can bank on.
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 821

Post#197 » by KOA » Sat May 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:I dont think hes that limited. I mean, as limited as Frank or Mitch. Also I think people get too concerned around here about this 4 on 5 or 3 on 5 matchup narrative. We have a defensive coach. To me it should be more concerning that we go 1 on 5 every night defensively as (and I'm just using our projected starting 5 from last yr) we start Kemba/Fournier/RJ/Randle in a starting five.. ..none of which any of us would say are high end defenders.

In fact the only guy we seemingly want to fix around here is the one guy in a the starting lineup who is the elite defender on a team that advertises itself as a defensive team. Perhaps the fans think Mitch or any defender who isn't a scorer is the problem, but I'm sure the reason Thibs feels he can't win games is because he's lacking elite defenders.

As for Sochan specifically I think there's a difference between saying someone can't score and saying someone isn't an isolation threat. It seems around here if you can't isolate that means you can't score. We gotta get back to the mindset that offense comes from plays in which guys take good shots, that there's nothing wrong with a good assisted shot and that ball movement is key. The reason why we SEEMINGLY are in constant need of a guy who can generate a basket is because of our lack of ball movement and the tendencies of a couple of guys (I'm looking at you Julius and RJ) to put their heads down when driving

Sochan is limited offensively. He shot under 30% from 3 and 58% from the line. Heck even his 47% FG is underwhelming when you consider how many of his shots are dunks and layups. Not saying that there isn’t a place for him as a solid role player in the league, but the Knicks have plenty of bench depth at this point.

Surprised Jalen Duren isn’t getting much love in this thread. Amazing potential for a guy with his skill set
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 pm

KOA wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:I dont think hes that limited. I mean, as limited as Frank or Mitch. Also I think people get too concerned around here about this 4 on 5 or 3 on 5 matchup narrative. We have a defensive coach. To me it should be more concerning that we go 1 on 5 every night defensively as (and I'm just using our projected starting 5 from last yr) we start Kemba/Fournier/RJ/Randle in a starting five.. ..none of which any of us would say are high end defenders.

Sochan is limited offensively. He shot under 30% from 3 and 58% from the line. Heck even his 47% FG is underwhelming when you consider how many of his shots are dunks and layups. Not saying that there isn’t a place for him as a solid role player in the league, but the Knicks have plenty of bench depth at this point.

Surprised Jalen Duren isn’t getting much love in this thread. Amazing potential for a guy with his skill set

I like Duren alot but I wanna resign Mitch. If that's definitely not gonna happen then Duren probably becomes my number 1 target. I just hate to think you got a position locked up and then because we didn't manage the asset well we go into a draft simply resigning his replacement. Meaning nothing new, no new dynamic. In fact it'll take Duren a couple yrs to acclimate so you're actually getting less than what you had in the short term. Longterm I think hes got higher potential than Mitch but again, I'd like to solve for a skillset we don't have.

So I feel you on Duren but that's my whole logic to it.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#199 » by Marty McFly » Sun May 29, 2022 1:23 am

Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
gr3en
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#200 » by gr3en » Sun May 29, 2022 2:08 am

I wouldn't be mad at drafting Johnny Davis at #11

Return to New York Knicks