ImageImageImageImageImage

Get Luka

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Gorilla Monsoon
Senior
And1: 1,744

Re: Get Luka 

Post#41 » by Gorilla Monsoon » Fri May 20, 2022 2:04 pm

Richard4444 wrote:Also, convincing Luka right now is illegal and not binding. We could endure severe punishment and the Luka is free to change his mind until 2026.

Where did I suggest tampering and trying to "convince Luka" at this very moment?

I simply suggested we plan ahead, continue to develop youth and be frugal with our cap spendings in the hopes to land Luka or another player who is actually great in the somewhat distant future.

Nothing I wrote was wrong or incoherent. Actually, it's the obvious thing to do, even if the end result isn't Luka or Zion in a Knicks jersey. But you dummies will bitch and moan about RJ's efficiency, Obi's ball handling and having pick #11 in a lackluster draft, beg the team to trade it all for Donovan Mitchell, and then blame Dolan 3 years from now when it's another colossal failure.

Man, some of you come off like the most sexually frustrated dweebs who do nothing but sit around being depressed about the Knicks. The mere mention of anything positive happening for this team sends y'all into a tailspin of pessimism and angst, where you all piggy back off each other's quips until everyone is arguing amongst themselves again lmao. It's remarkable.

I stand by this post. Luka is the next generational talent, similar to the way LeBron took over the league. We are in the biggest market, with the biggest fan base and the brightest lights. Luka thrives in the big moments. He's the guy. If 4 years from now, we have cap space and a really good roster with a quality 2nd and 3rd fiddle, it's nowhere near out of the question. Just look at that Mavs team. It's unreal how far he's taken them already, and I have no idea how they're going to continually improve the team around him. It's very possible he's frustrated enough to leave for greener pastures when his next contract is up.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#42 » by whocares1 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:24 pm

DOT wrote:
whocares1 wrote: DOT is obsessed with thinking 0-27 wasn’t possible but it was 100% possible.

Name me a team that lost 27 straight games in one season

It's just never happened. Technically possible, but not realistic, even for the worst team in the league in any given year

You guys are obsessed with thinking going 0-30 was not only possible but a realistic expectation once KP went down. The way we started that season took us out of Luka range, not how we finished it

I just don't get why y'all are so obsessed with this narrative that it was the choice to not tank after losing KP which cost us Luka. We were never gonna get him without starting the year tanking. So it's just a way for y'all to get yourselves more mad. I guess some people enjoy being angry about everything, I'm just pointing out that your anger in this instance is misplaced.

I’m not mad bc like I said the Knicks wouldn’t have picked him anyway. Im just saying that using the narrative that there’s no way they could’ve gone 0-whatever when they literally had super saiyan Trey Burke carrying the offense by himself.

A simple benching and i honestly think it happens. And like I said even if the Knicks pick 5th or 6th if they trade a future first it’s more valuable bc everyone in the league thinks the Knicks will suck so they’d assume Luka would be a bust anyway. So if I’m the Hawks I’d rather have Knicks 6th-7th pick and a future pick over Mavs 5th pick and a future pick.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,159

Post#43 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:31 pm

Just found gray hairs in my beard the other day. Now I gotta wait until 2026? Ima be fully grey by then. Smh
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#44 » by spree2kawhi » Fri May 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Sark wrote:We could have just drafted him, if we just tanked as soon as KP got hurt. But nope, we had to unsuccessfully push for the playoffs with Hardaway, Enes Kanter, and Kyle O'Quinn leading the way.

The stupidity of this organization is limitless.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,021

Post#45 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri May 20, 2022 3:17 pm

Duh...hey you dummies...I want the team to run itself responsibly and go after a star player. Duh...yeah. duh. It's that simple. Duh. Duh duh duh. You guys are dummies. Duh. FOH.

The team needs to strip it down and rebuild. Hopefully draft/develop a star in the process. Hopefully they become attractive to FA STAR players in the process. Keep the cap flexible so that you can afford star players when/if they do want to come here. Focus on the draft and talent evaluation. Build a roster that FITS together and doesn't have so much glut(Perry has yet to do that since being here).

Randle/Fournier are the long term contracts. Randle is overpaid and Evan is out of place. Both need to go. Period.

Kemba/Noel/Burks/Rose/Taj are all expirings. If you can't trade any of them for value...let them expire. Kemba should just be cut ASAP. Noel/Rose can't stay healthy. Taj should not be playing over ANYONE. Burks should not be starting at PG EVER AGAIN!! He is a fine bench player. Keep him in the right role or trade him. Under no circumstances should ANY of these players be starting over the kids. None. Too bad the HC is stubborn and the FO can't build a roster worth a damn.

IQ/Deuce/RJ/Cam/Grimes/Obi/Sims/#11/#42 are the youth. They should get priority over anyone else. Play them or trade them. Period.

Mitch is the question mark. Is he gonna walk? I can't believe they paid Noel and ignored Mitch. Until this works itself out...you can't count him as back. I want him back.

So...yeah. No star is coming to play here until they get their shyt together. Build a foundation and go from there. Not the backwards ass way they have been doing things.
:beer: RIP mags
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#46 » by Richard4444 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:18 pm

Gorilla Monsoon wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:Also, convincing Luka right now is illegal and not binding. We could endure severe punishment and the Luka is free to change his mind until 2026.

Where did I suggest tampering and trying to "convince Luka" at this very moment?

I simply suggested we plan ahead, continue to develop youth and be frugal with our cap spendings in the hopes to land Luka or another player who is actually great in the somewhat distant future.

Nothing I wrote was wrong or incoherent. Actually, it's the obvious thing to do, even if the end result isn't Luka or Zion in a Knicks jersey. But you dummies will bitch and moan about RJ's efficiency, Obi's ball handling and having pick #11 in a lackluster draft, beg the team to trade it all for Donovan Mitchell, and then blame Dolan 3 years from now when it's another colossal failure.

Man, some of you come off like the most sexually frustrated dweebs who do nothing but sit around being depressed about the Knicks. The mere mention of anything positive happening for this team sends y'all into a tailspin of pessimism and angst, where you all piggy back off each other's quips until everyone is arguing amongst themselves again lmao. It's remarkable.

I stand by this post. Luka is the next generational talent, similar to the way LeBron took over the league. We are in the biggest market, with the biggest fan base and the brightest lights. Luka thrives in the big moments. He's the guy. If 4 years from now, we have cap space and a really good roster with a quality 2nd and 3rd fiddle, it's nowhere near out of the question. Just look at that Mavs team. It's unreal how far he's taken them already, and I have no idea how they're going to continually improve the team around him. It's very possible he's frustrated enough to leave for greener pastures when his next contract is up.

Sorry. I thought "plan ahead" was used as a euphemism for tempering.

You actually want us to just wait, save cap space and daydream about Luka in 2026 without taking any concrete action.

First, 2026 is too distant. We can try to build a team and compete until then. Or even tanking without thinking about a Max Cat. The sudden strategic changes are very harmful. In retrospect, if we had given up the 2 Max Cat dream and have traded KP for more picks instead of cap space and just continue tanking, we would be in a better situation (keeping Tim, Lee, Noah, and the other fat contracts in the books while developing FRPs rookies).

Second, it is very delusional the thought about Doncic choosing us. Especially if we keep a team full of rookies and mercenaries (I can not see another path if we do not accept long-term contracts), we are not going to be an attractive franchise. Doncic should stay in Dallas. They are not a small market. They have given him all the keys and pretty much a saying on the roster/coaching decisions. They can pay him the most money. Otherwise, he can choose Lakers (history), Miami (weather), or a franchise where he can form a superteam. It is too improbable he chooses us. We already did the same mistake with the 2011 and 2019 Free Agent classes.

If in 2025, for some reason, Doncic appears possible, we can try to prepare ourselves. But now, it does not make much sense.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#47 » by WargamesX » Sat May 21, 2022 7:33 pm

Sark wrote:We could have just drafted him, if we just tanked as soon as KP got hurt. But nope, we had to unsuccessfully push for the playoffs with Hardaway, Enes Kanter, and Kyle O'Quinn leading the way.

No no no…. I was here saying tank and a bunch of posters told me “why, let’s get wins”. Same nonesense from the majority of fans too…. I was even talking about Luka because the same scout that found KP was seen at one of his early games and he had that look like a lion that saw meat…. And everyone was like “KP needs playoff experience”. The majority of the fans suck too and then want to complain like they are about that tank life. They are not… Last’s year’s draft was amazing and fans were like “But Randle and RJ could make a run”…. The majority of the fan base is Dolan but don’t take ownership of it because they have short memories.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#48 » by cgmw » Sat May 21, 2022 7:48 pm

WargamesX wrote:

No no no…. I was here saying tank and a bunch of posters told me “why, let’s get wins”. Same nonesense from the majority of fans too…. I was even talking about Luka because the same scout that found KP was seen at one of his early games and he had that look like a lion that saw meat…. And everyone was like “KP needs playoff experience”. The majority of the fans suck too and then want to complain like they are about that tank life. They are not… Last’s year’s draft was amazing and fans were like “But Randle and RJ could make a run”…. The majority of the fan base is Dolan but don’t take ownership of it because they have short memories.

Those fans are still around.

“RJ needs playoff experience.” Therefore sign Julius Randle, half a dozen retread veterans, and Tom Thibs to make us a bubble playoff team during RJ’s rookie contract. So much logic!

I look toward to the “Get Lamelo” thread.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
KnicksNext
Veteran
And1: 1,509

Post#49 » by KnicksNext » Sat May 21, 2022 9:18 pm

Gorilla Monsoon wrote:This should be the Knicks' long-term plan.

I'm one of the guys who is always clamoring for a proper rebuild. Tank if you have to, but more than anything, just go young and collect assets any way that you can. Don't waste precious money and years signing overpaid, over-the-hill vets, and don't waste precious trade chips chasing limited players like Beal, Lavine or Donovan Mitchell.

If we're going to target star players, let's target guys who can actually win you a championship. There's nothing wrong with that if you're in a market like NY, LA or MIA where franchise talent will actually come if you build a balanced and competitive team without them. It worked for the Nets (on the surface), it's worked for the Clippers recently (on the surface), and it's worked for the Lakers and Heat a number of times resulting in multiple championships and deep playoff runs.

The Knicks were right to chase both LeBron and KD, and they would be right to chase Luka in 2026 which will be here in a flash. Why not plan well ahead instead of cramming for the exam like we did in the last two sweepstakes? It's obvious the Knicks will sell tickets and merchandise regardless, and diehards like us would support a real youth movement as much as we've supported any team in the past.

So forget Mitchell. Let's keep developing our homegrown talent, build out a young core that can evolve organically into a playoff team on their own, build an entire roster with depth and durability and 1-2 complimentary stars like RJ, Quick and Toppin have the potential to become.... and then spend the big bucks on Luka who is quickly becoming my favorite player and clearly the next face of the league.

This is the way.

So, after making the Western Conference Finals this year, and most likely staying highly competitive for the next few years (and possibly for 10 more years because of Luka), Cuban is going to blow it up and let potentially one of the better players to play the game go? Cuban is famous for taking great care of his players in every aspect. Locker room, the team plane, and a TON of extra perks. Players love playing in Dallas and for Cuban. There is a below zero % chance Luka changes teams.

And NY cannot be considered a market where franchise talent wants to come to. At least for the Knicks that has never been a draw.

I love talking and speculating about getting this player or that player, but only players that actually have at least a 1% or higher chance of coming. Also, Luka is from Eastern Europe, and I'm sure could care less about the 'mystique' of New York City.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#50 » by KnicksNext » Sat May 21, 2022 10:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Adelheid wrote:RJ is the best the franchise is going to get in the forseeable future. I implore the team to focus on developing him rather than covet talents from other teams.
Other teams despise the knicks for being so unashamedly thirsty. Its so cringy to be honest

Waiting on the TS% and efficiency essay and Jimmit's one liners about how ass RJ is

I'm waiting to hear how Luka is overrated and we don't have a need for a player like him on our roster.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#51 » by KnicksNext » Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:Zion is probably our best shot at a star in the near future. RJ is gonna be key to bringing him here like Wade did to get Bron. We don't have any pull to get Luka here. There's no ties, nothing.

I agree, this is our only shot at a franchise player. Best odds in my opinion because of the relationship with RJ.

Zion just came out and said he wants to stay with the Pels, though. And I kind of believe him. That is one of the more exciting young, talented squads in the league. And maybe he doesn't want the spotlight of NYC or a major market, who knows.

They will need to max him, though. If the Pels start playing games saying they don't want to because of his injury/limited, then he might consider what else is out there. That is our only hope.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#52 » by KnicksNext » Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:we're not getting anyone good in free agency. it's time to just accept it

If they actually build a good team with an attractive young core.. Yes we'll become a destination again

So you're saying the past 25 years should be ignored. Not one great player has chosen to come play with us. You're saying because we have RJ, OBI and Quick we're going to all of a sudden attract big name talent? Do you honestly believe any great player in the league will covet playing with any of those three (or the rest of our youth). I'll stick with history and facts, my friend.

We're not going to attract any of the big names in the league. This franchise has such a poor reputation for so many reasons across the league. That's not going to magically change because we're 5 games under .500 with RJ/Quick/Obi leading the way.
KnixtapeH20
General Manager
And1: 14,472

Post#53 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:49 pm

KnicksNext wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:we're not getting anyone good in free agency. it's time to just accept it

If they actually build a good team with an attractive young core.. Yes we'll become a destination again

So you're saying the past 25 years should be ignored. Not one great player has chosen to come play with us. You're saying because we have RJ, OBI and Quick we're going to all of a sudden attract big name talent? Do you honestly believe any great player in the league will covet playing with any of those three (or the rest of our youth). I'll stick with history and facts, my friend.

We're not going to attract any of the big names in the league. This franchise has such a poor reputation for so many reasons across the league. That's not going to magically change because we're 5 games under .500 with RJ/Quick/Obi leading the way.

Melo, STAT were both great players, Melo was a star. STAT couldn't stay healthy.

Nobody wanted the challenge that NY brings along with the disfunction, no proven coach, in fact the complete opposite a revolving door of coaches... Lack of player talent, no draft picks, Dolan always interfering.

Durant was coming if Kyrie wanted to play here. I dont believe a word what that scrub says and I'm happy he didn't bc he's the biggest vagina in the NBA.

We needed a culture change, a perceptive change and talent change. Yes, we achieved all 3. Yes we need to add more talent. Yes players will absolutely want to play with a guy like RJ Barrett's talent snd character. His likeability and leadership will attract players here. Add Obi on top when he breaks out next season snd proves he's a legit impact starter. Yes sir.

Call me optimistic, hopeful, unrealistic. I see talentef young players that have an aura about them that we haven't had in a VERY long time, led by a 21 year old.

So we'll see.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,534

Post#54 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sun May 22, 2022 12:46 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:If they actually build a good team with an attractive young core.. Yes we'll become a destination again

Melo, STAT were both great players, Melo was a star. STAT couldn't stay healthy.

Nobody wanted the challenge that NY brings along with the disfunction, no proven coach, in fact the complete opposite a revolving door of coaches... Lack of player talent, no draft picks, Dolan always interfering.

Durant was coming if Kyrie wanted to play here. I dont believe a word what that scrub says and I'm happy he didn't bc he's the biggest vagina in the NBA.

We needed a culture change, a perceptive change and talent change. Yes, we achieved all 3. Yes we need to add more talent. Yes players will absolutely want to play with a guy like RJ Barrett's talent snd character. His likeability and leadership will attract players here. Add Obi on top when he breaks out next season snd proves he's a legit impact starter. Yes sir.

Call me optimistic, hopeful, unrealistic. I see talentef young players that have an aura about them that we haven't had in a VERY long time, led by a 21 year old.

So we'll see.

STAT came because we offered him the 5th year on that deal that PHX and no other team wanted to offer him. we all knew the injury risk of bringing in STAT, but we had no choice but to bring him in as we were obviously primarily lookin at lebron, wade, etc. and we had to spend cap space on something that year since we were pretty clearly building up to something that year and to come out with nothing would just have been a really bad look. terrible decision by knicks management but understandable

I'm glad melo wanted to come here and it's something but that was via trade and we had to give up a lot for him. very different from free agency, where we wouldn't have to give up anything but money, but i can't blame him for wanting his money guaranteed and up-front. he probably miscalculated STATs health status as well.

thing is stars want to play with stars and guys they think they can win with. kd/kyrie, lebron/ad, kawhi/pg. i just don't see any high level star lookin at rj barrett and wanting to go to war with him as much as i think he is a good kid, it's a long shot to think he is that guy. it'd have to be 2 stars looking at NY together and i just don't see that, a bit unrealistic
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#55 » by Marty McFly » Sun May 22, 2022 1:09 am

How many of us were in the tank for that one. and he didn't even go one so all we had to do was lose enough games to land in the top 3 and then trade up for him.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
ElMelo7
Junior
And1: 266

Post#56 » by ElMelo7 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:37 am

when the hawks were offering the pick we shoulda blown our load... but we didn't and ended up with nothing.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#57 » by RHODEY » Sun May 22, 2022 4:12 am

Gorilla Monsoon wrote:This should be the Knicks' long-term plan.

I'm one of the guys who is always clamoring for a proper rebuild. Tank if you have to, but more than anything, just go young and collect assets any way that you can. Don't waste precious money and years signing overpaid, over-the-hill vets, and don't waste precious trade chips chasing limited players like Beal, Lavine or Donovan Mitchell.

If we're going to target star players, let's target guys who can actually win you a championship. There's nothing wrong with that if you're in a market like NY, LA or MIA where franchise talent will actually come if you build a balanced and competitive team without them. It worked for the Nets (on the surface), it's worked for the Clippers recently (on the surface), and it's worked for the Lakers and Heat a number of times resulting in multiple championships and deep playoff runs.

The Knicks were right to chase both LeBron and KD, and they would be right to chase Luka in 2026 which will be here in a flash. Why not plan well ahead instead of cramming for the exam like we did in the last two sweepstakes? It's obvious the Knicks will sell tickets and merchandise regardless, and diehards like us would support a real youth movement as much as we've supported any team in the past.

So forget Mitchell. Let's keep developing our homegrown talent, build out a young core that can evolve organically into a playoff team on their own, build an entire roster with depth and durability and 1-2 complimentary stars like RJ, Quick and Toppin have the potential to become.... and then spend the big bucks on Luka who is quickly becoming my favorite player and clearly the next face of the league.

This is the way.

Well your logic is sound. Dallas being forced to sign Brunson to a large contract may lock them into a high end treadmill. So you never know if Luka eventually gets frustrated and wants to bolt if they dont win it all eventually

Return to New York Knicks