ImageImageImageImageImage

How will the Front Office fix the Randle/Obi logjam next season.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

How will the Front Office fix the Randle/Obi logjam next season.

Poll ended at Fri Jul 8, 2022 12:56 am

Why is the hurry? It's fine Obi playing barely 15 minutes a night
35%
Trading Randle
13%
Trading Obi
17%
Splitting almost equally the minutes among Randle and Obi as our PFs.
No votes
Playing small ball with Obi/Randle as the C/PF for about 15 minutes a game.
26%
Playing Obi/Randle as forwards with a true Center in the lineup for about 15 minutes a game.
4%
Baby steps. Playing Obi/Randle together a little more often when possible for a couple of more minutes.
4%

Total votes: 23

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Re: How will the Front Office fix the Randle/Obi logjam next season. 

Post#21 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jun 8, 2022 3:21 pm

Firing Thibs should be an option in the poll, although it's not going to happen.

Because the most obvious way to clear the logjam is to play them more minutes together, or rotate them at the 5 in addition to the 4.

But it's not going to happen as long as Thibs is our coach, barring a mystical epiphany during the summer.

Thibs should play these two more often together (not with Taj, Tom, I know what you're thinking) but that would require him 1. giving up rim protection (the love of his life) 2. embracing a switch-heavy scheme full-time. Both seem unlikely.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#22 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jun 8, 2022 3:38 pm

What they should do? Trade Randle

What they will do? Bench Obi
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#23 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Jun 8, 2022 4:26 pm

I thought I was about to say something insightful until I saw everyone vote the same way I did. But typically everybody focuses on Randle, Randle, Randle. And it's OK to not like how Randle plays, that's not gonna be my point though. The real issue is when you look at minutes, Mitchell Robinson plays only 25minutes. Always has. Julius plays 35 minutes almost exclusively at PF. So what's going on for the other 23 minutes that Mitch is off the floor?

Taj Gibson happens, and now that Noel may re-emerge he probably will get those minutes. So really if people wanna get Obi more minutes and fix this logjam then thier focus should be on Taj and Noel. In theory Randle doesn't have to play a single minute less for Obi to get more opportunity but as people voted if you can instead doghouse Taj to an extent ( and I don't care if he's here just make him a player/coach/injury insurance player), play Julius at the 5 when Mitch goes to the bench and bring Obi in at PF during thise moments. You could even have Mitch play 5 minutes more and STILL get Obi another 10 minutes
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,549

Post#24 » by Capn'O » Wed Jun 8, 2022 4:40 pm

DOT wrote:They won't.

This
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#25 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 8, 2022 4:56 pm

How will the FO handle it? They will do nothing. No one is trading for Noel or Taj. If we lose Mitch for nothing...that will just be terrible decision making on full display. Don't forget about Sims. What happens to him when Noel is back?

Kemba/Burks/Evan/Taj/Noel need to go. No one is trading for Randle and they probably want to keep him anyway because...they would look stupid for giving him an extension he didn't deserve in the first place.

Two weeks until draft night. Things will be different after that and we can revisit all of the decision making discussions then. :lol:

What do they with Kemba/Burks/Evan/Taj/Noel?
Does Mitch stay or leave?
Are they really building with Randle in the plan?
What do they do about the PG situation? IQ/Rose/Deuce?
What is the actual direction? Vet retreads hoping for a star trade or youth movement?

I'm not confident they do anything that makes sense at all.
:beer: RIP mags
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#26 » by Jimmit79 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 5:01 pm

They won't they are just waiting to get fired and milk as much $$$$ from Dolan.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#27 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Jun 8, 2022 5:34 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:How will the FO handle it? They will do nothing. No one is trading for Noel or Taj. If we lose Mitch for nothing...that will just be terrible decision making on full display. Don't forget about Sims. What happens to him when Noel is back?

Kemba/Burks/Evan/Taj/Noel need to go. No one is trading for Randle and they probably want to keep him anyway because...they would look stupid for giving him an extension he didn't deserve in the first place.

Two weeks until draft night. Things will be different after that and we can revisit all of the decision making discussions then. :lol:

What is the actual direction? Vet retreads hoping for a star trade or youth movement?

Kemba/Burks/Evan/Taj/Noel
cut/trade/keep/make-coach/cut
Mitch leaves since the Knicks won't pay him
Randle is the plan
IQ/Rose each play 26mins; McBride G-league
trade RJ for #4 and pick Ivey
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 8, 2022 5:43 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:How will the FO handle it? They will do nothing. No one is trading for Noel or Taj. If we lose Mitch for nothing...that will just be terrible decision making on full display. Don't forget about Sims. What happens to him when Noel is back?

How often...if ever...has a player been released and kept as an assistant for the same team? I would also Trade Evan.

It's not about what we would do. What will the FO do about all of those things?
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#29 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Jun 8, 2022 5:48 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

How often...if ever...has a player been released and kept as an assistant for the same team? I would also Trade Evan.

meh. I mean, unfortunately Taj will soak up a roster spot in the Haslem role. But even Thibs should nail him to the bench.

As to the others: I actually do think that it will play out like this. Burks goes this summer; Evan stays. Kemba and Noel should be cut once the main FAs have signed, but sadly will in actuality only be cut after the trade deadline. No one is giving anything for those contracts and NYK shouldn't give up anything to get rid of them.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jun 8, 2022 5:53 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Kemba/Burks/Evan/Taj/Noel

meh. I mean, unfortunately Taj will soak up a roster spot in the Haslem role. But even Thibs should nail him to the bench.

As to the others: I actually do think that it will play out like this. Burks goes this summer; Evan stays. Kemba and Noel should be cut once the main FAs have signed, but sadly will in actuality only be cut after the trade deadline. No one is giving anything for those contracts and NYK shouldn't give up anything to get rid of them.

Yeah. Burks will be traded if Sixers are interested for real. Fingers crossed. They may waive Kemba earlier than the TDL though. That's an easy failure to correct. He's toast. Noel...ugh.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#31 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Jun 8, 2022 6:41 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Yeah. Burks will be traded if Sixers are interested for real. Fingers crossed. They may waive Kemba earlier than the TDL though. That's an easy failure to correct. He's toast. Noel...ugh.

I'm just not confident that they won't want to keep that salary available "in case of make weight in a trade".
Ewing246
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#32 » by Ewing246 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 7:38 pm

They fire Thibs mid-season after the crowd turns ugly with Obi playing 20 mins or so and Julius playing 38.

Return to New York Knicks