ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Draft Trevor Keels 42nd Overall

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,407

Knicks Draft Trevor Keels 42nd Overall 

Post#1 » by DOT » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 am

Read on Twitter
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Re: Knicks Draft Trevor Keels 42nd Overall 

Post#2 » by dukeknicksirish » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:44 am

Keels has that DOG in him. I like that Bane comparison
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
Bob Ross
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,686

Post#3 » by Bob Ross » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:45 am

F*ckin whatever
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#4 » by CptCrunch » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:46 am

I am Keels' biggest fan

I see him as a lotto pick.

He was Duke's 3rd best prospect right after Williams.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,931

Post#5 » by islanders11040 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:47 am

at least i can watch someones highlights after sinking 4 hrs :lol:
SkyMason21
Junior
And1: 79

Post#6 » by SkyMason21 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:49 am

Like Keels. Definitely would have preferred they swing on Kendall Brown or Josh Minott, but can't really complain. He fits our style and if he gets back to shooting like he did in High school he'll be solid.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,931

Post#7 » by islanders11040 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:57 am

I like the way he attacks the hoop
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,613

Post#8 » by El Poochio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:59 am

Welcome Baby Zion

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#9 » by poeman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:00 am

So this guy gonna get minutes after we trade Randle, yeah?
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#10 » by Juggynaut » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:03 am

He's better than AJ Griffin, so I guess that's a positive.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,070

Post#11 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 am

CptCrunch wrote:I am Keels' biggest fan

ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#12 » by ctorres » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 am

Is Keels a better prospect than Miles McBride was? They're fighting for that 3rd string point guard spot since Burks, Quickley, D-Rose are still the best we got.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#13 » by HEZI » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 am

Ok I guess
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by CptCrunch » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:12 am

SelbyCobra wrote:

Quoting Dean

Keels is a massive weirdo as an unathletic combo guard. But he is one of the youngest players in the class, not turning 19 until after the draft in August and has some funky gravity to him.

In spite of his lack of burst, he has decent craft at getting to the rim and finishing. He is also a good passer and decision maker and posted an excellent 2.18 A:TO ratio as an 18 year old freshman.

His freshman shooting was underwhelming at 31.2% 3P 67% FT, but he took a high rate of 3PA and looks like a confident shooter. In light of his age, it seems like he should be a capable 3 point shooter in the NBA and he has some potential to be a good shooter if he develops well over time.

Defensively he has questions as he is slow and beatable off the dribble, and does not always have the best awareness. But his instincts and intuition are overall decent, and he is capable of getting in the passing lanes and being disruptive. He definitely has a risk of being a liability defensively in the NBA, but he also has clear outs to figure it out and be competent.

Keels’ main selling point is his ability to create a moderate volume of offense without turning it over. In this regard he is like a Monte Morris who is 2.25″ taller (6’4.75″), 3.25″ longer (6’7.25″) and 49 pounds heavier at a beefy 224 in spite of his youth. That’s some significant size boosts to a decent rotation player.

If we really want to turn up the optimism, it is difficult to find a strong comp considering how unique his distribution of traits are. But he has some parallels to Tyrese Haliburton. Keels is beefier, not as athletic, and has a long way to go to catch up as a shooter, but Haliburton did not get much draft hype either as a freshman who averaged 6.8 points 3.6 assists 0.8 turnovers for Iowa State. But then Haliburton made a sophomore leap, and he was a steal at #12 overall in the draft.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,800

Post#15 » by Fat » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:14 am

He thick
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by CptCrunch » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:18 am

Here is a highlight of Keels making TyTy his nephew
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#17 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:24 am

CptCrunch wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Quoting Dean

Keels is a massive weirdo as an unathletic combo guard. But he is one of the youngest players in the class, not turning 19 until after the draft in August and has some funky gravity to him.

In spite of his lack of burst, he has decent craft at getting to the rim and finishing. He is also a good passer and decision maker and posted an excellent 2.18 A:TO ratio as an 18 year old freshman.

His freshman shooting was underwhelming at 31.2% 3P 67% FT, but he took a high rate of 3PA and looks like a confident shooter. In light of his age, it seems like he should be a capable 3 point shooter in the NBA and he has some potential to be a good shooter if he develops well over time.

Defensively he has questions as he is slow and beatable off the dribble, and does not always have the best awareness. But his instincts and intuition are overall decent, and he is capable of getting in the passing lanes and being disruptive. He definitely has a risk of being a liability defensively in the NBA, but he also has clear outs to figure it out and be competent.

Keels’ main selling point is his ability to create a moderate volume of offense without turning it over. In this regard he is like a Monte Morris who is 2.25″ taller (6’4.75″), 3.25″ longer (6’7.25″) and 49 pounds heavier at a beefy 224 in spite of his youth. That’s some significant size boosts to a decent rotation player.

If we really want to turn up the optimism, it is difficult to find a strong comp considering how unique his distribution of traits are. But he has some parallels to Tyrese Haliburton. Keels is beefier, not as athletic, and has a long way to go to catch up as a shooter, but Haliburton did not get much draft hype either as a freshman who averaged 6.8 points 3.6 assists 0.8 turnovers for Iowa State. But then Haliburton made a sophomore leap, and he was a steal at #12 overall in the draft.

Very interesting, I appreciate deeper-dive prospects that fall because they're unconventional and are also super young. I'm good with it. Reminds me in some ways of Grimes.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#18 » by ctorres » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:26 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Quoting Dean

Very interesting, I appreciate deeper-dive prospects that fall because they're unconventional and are also super young. I'm good with it. Reminds me in some ways of Grimes.

Grimes was taken in the 1st round though.

Keels would be more like McBride, both early 2nd rounders.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by CptCrunch » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:29 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Quoting Dean

Basically the argument is that Keels played too well for someone that young for a top P5 program. He didn't get the benefit of doubt that his fellow young-buddy Duren got because he is fat (and Duren chiseled like a Greek god). Fat is not a huge issue if the body type can be fixed. If Keels was chiseled, he wouldn't be drafted in the second round.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#20 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:31 am

ctorres wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
Quoting Dean

Grimes was taken in the 1st round though.

Keels would be more like McBride, both early 2nd rounders.

I meant more from a general, he would have been drafted higher if his physical traits/appearance/attributes were more conventional or enticing, and the deeper dive on his production tells a different story than the traditional numbers.

Return to New York Knicks