ImageImageImageImageImage

Detroit, Houston, Orlando, and OKC are already better than us

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,372

Re: Detroit, Houston, Orlando, and OKC are already better than us 

Post#21 » by Zenzibar » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:15 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:LeBron and AD probably going to sit out the year with "injuries" and the league will gift LA the #1 pick

Lakers don't have a possible lottery pick until 2026.
Stop All Genocides
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,282

Post#22 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:16 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:LeBron and AD probably going to sit out the year with "injuries" and the league will gift LA the #1 pick

Well, there goes that idea.

Who else do they like to rig things for?

The Pelicans maybe?
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,372

Post#23 » by Zenzibar » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:24 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Well, there goes that idea.

Who else do they like to rig things for?

The Pelicans maybe?

Yeah, Zion is a NBA draw and behooves the NBA to have him make deep runs in the playoffs.
Stop All Genocides
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#24 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:57 pm

Not liking this all or nothing Brunson nepotism bs strategy...feels like it's setting us back five years...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#25 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm

They have potential but not better
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#26 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:15 am

They definitely have more talent than us in terms of prospects but in terms of win/loss I don't think they'll win much of anything. They probably won't be coached to win anything either. Most of those teams need or want another lottery yr to complete thier process'.

The Knicks are gonna compete. Not contend, I said compete.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,587

Post#27 » by dc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:29 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:The Knicks are gonna compete. Not contend, I said compete.

Compete for completely irrelevant things like the 9th seed and the 12th pick in the draft.

Knicks need to rethink what exactly is worth competing for.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,282

Post#28 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:33 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Not liking this all or nothing Brunson nepotism bs strategy...feels like it's setting us back five years...

Yup. Totally need to bring back Elf and let him and Burks run the point.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#29 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:40 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:Not liking this all or nothing Brunson nepotism bs strategy...feels like it's setting us back five years...

Elf and Mudiay* on a vet-min contract. Stretch Burks, so there's at least one stretched contract on the books.

Spoiler:
[from the Beetle's wikipedia entry:]

Žalgiris Kaunas (2021): On August 23, 2021, Mudiay officially signed a one-year deal with Lithuanian club Žalgiris Kaunas of the EuroLeague.

On November 2, 2021, Mudiay and Žalgiris mutually parted ways.

Mudiay averaged 7.4 points, 3.2 assists and 2.2 rebounds while shooting 32.5% from the field over 5 games with the club.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#30 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:45 am

Five years ago* ... (note, the cap was 99m and this year its projected at 122m, so multiply those numbers by 1.2 and add a little for what those contracts were worthin in 2022-2023 NBA money).

* literally 28 June 2017. See https://medium.com/the-knicks-wall/breaking-down-the-knicks-2017-18-salary-cap-picture-ecc94290058e
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,228

Post#31 » by The Lamma » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:47 am

thebuzzardman wrote:

Only if he brings back the epic Dreads Visor. Look at him all in the shade underneath there.
Much more effective player with it. "I couldn't see, he poked me in the eye, coach."

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#32 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am

dc wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:The Knicks are gonna compete. Not contend, I said compete.

Compete for completely irrelevant things like the 9th seed and the 12th pick in the draft.

Knicks need to rethink what exactly is worth competing for.

I think you gotta be patient my friend. I mean, it's funny you're patient for a rebuild and tank but if I told you you'd hold that number 9 seed and 12 pick for 2 seasons before contending then that's too long somehow. And I'm just using your words. I think they could be better.

Outside of just getting the PG that actually compliments our two best players, who defends, can shoot and get some buckets other things are coming about. People forget that we got a near zero from the PG position last year. Kemba was a negative player, for half a season Quickley was a negative player, Burks is really a wing and tried his best but he was a negative PG. And Rose missed almost the whole year. And we still won 37 games.

Its gonna be different for sure if Brunson is healthy. Rose may be back healthy and hopefully Thibs now has more faith in some of the youth that played well down the stretch. Literally 5 wins is a 42 win season, now you're looking at an 8th -7th seed. And to me that's without another major trade, if we do a major trade with some of those picks/assets then it could blow things wide open
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#33 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:21 pm

Four franchises that did not embrace the treadmill like we foolishly did.

The best part is that this summer we'll double down on the treadmill while these franchises continue to attempt to build the correct way.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,223

Post#34 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Knicks going all in just to try to make the playoffs. It’s sad watching teams keep lapping us over and over,
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
KNICKS007
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#35 » by KNICKS007 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:Its clear that this front office is banking on 2025 free agency

why, they didn't do sht the last 2 yrs when they had cap space and one of the best FA class in NBA history.

I keep reminding fans that the knicks started the 20/21 season with 30 mill in cap space and sat on it for 10 months until it was worthless, despite losing Mitch, and having payton as our starting pg

Mark my words, LEON will never sign a star FA, and will never ever have the balls to make a blockbuster trade for one...
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,311

Post#36 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:59 pm

KNICKS007 wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Its clear that this front office is banking on 2025 free agency

why, they didn't do sht the last 2 yrs when they had cap space and one of the best FA class in NBA history.

I keep reminding fans that the knicks started the 20/21 season with 30 mill in cap space and sat on it for 10 months until it was worthless, despite losing Mitch, and having payton as our starting pg

Mark my words, LEON will never sign a star FA, and will never ever have the balls to make a blockbuster trade for one...

I meant 2024 free agency.

I think they targeting Booker, Kat and hopefully Jaylen brown

I agree with you tho. This **** been a mess
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,210

Post#37 » by Kampuchea » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:14 pm

I can't agree that all of those teams are better than the Knicks. In fact, forget about ALL of them, I don't think even one of them is better than the knicks.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,210

Post#38 » by Kampuchea » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:18 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
Juggynaut wrote:So we getting the #1 pick in 2023 draft? :D

I doubt it :). I think it'll take Houston and OKC 1 more season to get better than us. And there will be 2-3 teams out west that actively tank as well.

If we sign Brunson, we're going to sit round the 40ish win mark, and again pick ~10th.

I do think Detroit is already better than we are, but by better than us I mean these other 3 teams have a better outlook.

So they are not better than the Knicks? Thread title "already better" doesn't match with what you typed, which says they are not better but one day will be.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,421

Post#39 » by JXL » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:27 pm

This board is so moody. Cry me a river on your woes for this team. All I can say is, if Rose is hitching this cap space plan on reeling in Jalen Brunson, he better deliver on that, or else this "plan" will blow up in his face, yet the fanbase will take the sh*t that will be thrown.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
KNICKS007
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#40 » by KNICKS007 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 pm

I mean the Twolves had KAT, Wiggins, and Lavine, but they were to young to figure it out, and thats when guys get traded.

Thats why when fans say play the youth regardless if they lose 50 game, its like they still can figure out why these kids never make it to a 2nd contract.....its because you only re-sign players that are flat out stars, or young players your winning with.

The knicks were not winning with any of the players they drafted

Return to New York Knicks