ImageImageImageImageImage

What would a 'Jrue Holiday- like' trade look like for DeJounte Murray?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Re: What would a 'Jrue Holiday- like' trade look like for DeJounte Murray? 

Post#61 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:23 pm

WargamesX wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Bulls made the playoffs this year with DeRozan. The Raptors made the playoffs every year with him too. The major difference is that Lowry and Lavine can shoot, whereas Murray needs the ball, and is a tough player to fit alongside (as is DeRozan, to a lower extent).

Who touches the ball on a team with Murray, Barrett and Randle? And who spaces the floor when they're off the ball?

Because there's only one basketball.

I do think Murray could have a role as the third best player on a championship team somewhere, and have a positive impact in a high-stakes situation. On the Knicks, he would be under-qualified for the expectations that would be placed upon him, and lead us absolutely nowhere, especially if paired with the aforementioned brick artists.

What the Knicks is need is a proper engine. Maybe Murray makes a few more leaps and becomes a bonafide superstar, I'm just skeptical that he will. Could be wrong.

Brunson is a pretty good 3 pt shooter. Quickley. McBride and/ or Grimes could be. Burks. (A few of those guys will remain on the team)

It can work if Brunson is at the 1 and Murray at the 2. And Thibs would utilize his defensive prowess to the max. Our identity on 2020 was tough D. We could get back to that with unquestionably better offensive firepower to complement it.

You talking about Brunson being the first option…. :nonono:

I believe he meant Bruson at the 1 as PG

I don't think the two players work together, but figured I'd clarify that.

Also, if Brunson comes, he will indeed be running the team.
Not sure what "option" that makes him.

Of course, if Bruson averages 17 and 9, where he's looking to set up others, then half the board will be mad he didn't score 20.
If he scores 20, the other half will be mad Knicks made him "The #1 option"

You all deserve Elf again. I hope that's what the Knicks do with Kemba's cap space :D
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#62 » by Spot31 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:58 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
KOA wrote:
Since 1997? Do you really think Derozan is the same caliber player as Tim Duncan or Kawhi Leonard? Just look at the Bulls this last year and you have your answer.

The spurs largely outperformed this year and made the play in tournament despite having virtually no talent. You also mention since giving Murray “the keys” like he’s been the lead guard for years and also act as if he hasn’t improved over time.

Murray is a solid lead guard to say the least. He had one of the better WS numbers for a PG in the league this past year behind only Trae, CP3, Steph, Luka, and Brunson.

The Bulls made the playoffs this year with DeRozan. The Raptors made the playoffs every year with him too. The major difference is that Lowry and Lavine can shoot, whereas Murray needs the ball, and is a tough player to fit alongside (as is DeRozan, to a lower extent).

Who touches the ball on a team with Murray, Barrett and Randle? And who spaces the floor when they're off the ball?

I do think Murray could have a role as the third best player on a championship team somewhere, and have a positive impact in a high-stakes situation. On the Knicks, he would be under-qualified for the expectations that would be placed upon him, and lead us absolutely nowhere, especially if paired with the aforementioned brick artists.

What the Knicks is need is a proper engine. Maybe Murray makes a few more leaps and becomes a bonafide superstar, I'm just skeptical that he will. Could be wrong.

Brunson is a pretty good 3 pt shooter. Quickley. McBride and/ or Grimes could be. Burks. (A few of those guys will remain on the team)

It can work if Brunson is at the 1 and Murray at the 2. And Thibs would utilize his defensive prowess to the max. Our identity on 2020 was tough D. We could get back to that with unquestionably better offensive firepower to complement it.

Tom Thibodeau would never put out a starting backcourt of undersized guards. I like Murray but as a 1
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#63 » by KnixinSix » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:02 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

You talking about Brunson being the first option…. :nonono:

I believe he meant Bruson at the 1 as PG

I don't think the two players work together, but figured I'd clarify that.

Also, if Brunson comes, he will indeed be running the team.
Not sure what "option" that makes him.

Of course, if Bruson averages 17 and 9, where he's looking to set up others, then half the board will be mad he didn't score 20.
If he scores 20, the other half will be mad Knicks made him "The #1 option"

You all deserve Elf again. I hope that's what the Knicks do with Kemba's cap space :D

At the 1 meaning PG, at the 2 meaning SG.

Lol Buzz. I think getting Brunson and Murray for what could amount to only about a 40M cap hit between the 2 of them would be a slam dunk. This is a whole nother level from Fornier/Kemba of last years FA.

IMO Murray is an excellent fit and would be easily worth 3FRPs (reported asking price) along with one of Obi, Grimes, McBride.

Something like:
Brunson/Murray/IQ
Murray/RJ/IQ
RJ/Grimes
Randle/Obi
Mitch

You have 4 starters in that line up all with the ability to score 20+ on any given night and all play D. On the bench you have 1-2 in Obi or IQ that also could score in bunches too.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by KnixinSix » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:05 pm

Spot31 wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Bulls made the playoffs this year with DeRozan. The Raptors made the playoffs every year with him too. The major difference is that Lowry and Lavine can shoot, whereas Murray needs the ball, and is a tough player to fit alongside (as is DeRozan, to a lower extent).

Tom Thibodeau would never put out a starting backcourt of undersized guards. I like Murray but as a 1

Depending on matchups you can switch up. Murray can play 1 and backup 2 easily. If you want to go big for stretches you can go Murray 1 and RJ 2.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnicksNext
Veteran
And1: 1,509

Post#65 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:54 pm

BigShot Barrett wrote:
seren wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
That is an overgeneralization and not necessarily true at all!

Lets say the JRue like trade was Obi or Quickley , Grimes, Rose (salary dump) and 3-4 of our stockpiled FRPs.

Brunson
Murray
RJ
Randle
Mitch

With a still pretty strong bench between one of Obi/Quick, McBride, Sims, possibly Burks etc. That is a team that fits the Thibs mold and is a souped up version of the 2020 team that played so well.

That team is a 6-10 with a guaranteed first round exit. There is no Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Butler, or KD level player on that squad.
[url]Tatum is not that much better than RJ.[/url]..same sloppy handles same erratic shooting ....similar defense...he's better but not like by as much as people beleive

Seriously??
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,922

Post#66 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:29 pm

KnicksNext wrote:
BigShot Barrett wrote:
seren wrote:
That team is a 6-10 with a guaranteed first round exit. There is no Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Butler, or KD level player on that squad.
[url]Tatum is not that much better than RJ.[/url]..same sloppy handles same erratic shooting ....similar defense...he's better but not like by as much as people beleive

Seriously??
yeah they both have very similar difficulties finishing at the rim because of loose handles ...Tatum's 3 was better this year but rjs 3 can be very good and defense is very similar....Tatum is better but not radically like people make it out to be
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:35 pm

BigShot Barrett wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:
BigShot Barrett wrote:[url]Tatum is not that much better than RJ.[/url]..same sloppy handles same erratic shooting ....similar defense...he's better but not like by as much as people beleive

Seriously??
yeah they both have very similar difficulties finishing at the rim because of loose handles ...Tatum's 3 was better this year but rjs 3 can be very good and defense is very similar....Tatum is better but not radically like people make it out to be

Tatum is quite overrated but RJ is not Tatum level (yet).

In any event a team with a top 4 of Randle, RJ, Dejounte and Brunson is a top 4 that actually would match or even exceed most teams in the NBA IF they all play to their ceilings. Teams may have a better top 2 but 4 deep is a different story. Conversely, teams may have an exciting young core but that core is not quite seasoned enough to be a top threat just yet.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm

Spurs took very little from Chicago for DeRozan.

Chicago traded Thaddeus Young, Al-Farouq Aminu, a protected first-round Draft pick and two second-round draft picks to San Antonio as part of the deal.

San Antonio values later picks because they are very good at finding guys later in the draft that fit Pops system.

I think we could easily come up with a very strong trade for Murray should we decide to make a run at him.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,074

Post#69 » by sol537 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:56 pm

I'm down with making a run for Murray but we need to shed Randle so Obi can take over at PF. I wonder if any team could use Randle? Lakers? Portland? Denver? Just give us cap relief and a late pick.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,157

Post#70 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm

So the Spurs wanna trade a 6’5” 25-26 year old 2 way All Star PG just to tank more?

This doesnt make sense people.

Truth is Dejounte missed a whole season a few years ago and hasnt been too durable since. He’s an inefficient scorer and meh shooter.

Sure Id give up some picks for him, as hes on a good deal and is a great defender, but it has to be a red flag that the Spurs would want to trade this dude. Hes being overrated now.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#71 » by SARGO127 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:10 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:So the Spurs wanna trade a 6’5” 25-26 year old 2 way All Star PG just to tank more?

Truth is Dejounte missed a whole season a few years ago and hasnt been too durable since. He’s an inefficient scorer and meh shooter

Sure Id give up some picks for him, but it has to be a red flag that the Spurs would want to trade this dude.

Not really. The fact is that he is due for a max contract in 2 years and I doubt the Spurs want to pay him that. Now is the time to trade him.
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#72 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:12 pm

SARGO127 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:So the Spurs wanna trade a 6’5” 25-26 year old 2 way All Star PG just to tank more?

Truth is Dejounte missed a whole season a few years ago and hasnt been too durable since. He’s an inefficient scorer and meh shooter

Sure Id give up some picks for him, but it has to be a red flag that the Spurs would want to trade this dude.

Not really. The fact is that he is due for a max contract in 2 years and I doubt the Spurs want to pay him that. Now is the time to trade him.

So we should want to pay him that then?

If hes so good why wouldnt the Spurs pay him the max? Hes just hitting his prime.

Whatever, we arent getting him anyway. All signs point to Brunson.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#73 » by SARGO127 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
SARGO127 wrote:

If hes so good why wouldnt the Spurs pay him the max? Hes just hitting his prime.

I’m not sure it’s smart for us to pay too dollar in assets and then max him. However, a Brunson/Murray backcourt is pretty enticing.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:18 pm

SARGO127 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
SARGO127 wrote:

I’m not sure it’s smart for us to pay too dollar in assets and then max him. However, a Brunson/Murray backcourt is pretty enticing.

I read somewhere Spurs want a rebuild. They don't really have many pieces on the roster.
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#75 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:29 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
SARGO127 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

I read somewhere Spurs want a rebuild. They don't really have many pieces on the roster.

Yea and wouldn’t the 25 year old All Star PG be a guy they should want to keep for a rebuild? Hes not old at all.

Something isnt right here.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:32 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
SARGO127 wrote:

Yea and wouldn’t the 25 year old All Star PG be a guy they should want to keep for a rebuild? Hes not old at all.

Not if you want to tank vs playing the in between game of being too good for a top 5 pick but not good enough for contrntion.
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#77 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:49 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Not if you want to tank vs playing the in between game of being too good for a top 5 pick but not good enough for contrntion.

Sure, but thats a very big risk getting rid of Murray when hes just hitting his prime himself. Hes the type of player teams want to draft in the lotto.

Point is Murray is a nice piece, but if his team wants to ship him out already thats curious. Almost like what we should have done with Julius last offseason.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:55 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

Sure, but thats a very big risk getting rid of Murray when hes just hitting his prime himself. Hes the type of player teams want to draft in the lotto.

Point is Murray is a nice piece, but if his team wants to ship him out already thats curious. Almost like what we should have done with Julius last offseason.

From the Spurs side: They get mutliple potential mid first round picks all in the 2023 loaded draft along with a couple 2023 2nd rounders. They get to tank this year and have their own high pick in the 2023 draft. They are very good drafters outside the lotto and seem to value those picks more than most other teams.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#79 » by Synciere » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:58 pm

There's no point in getting Brunson if we get Murray.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:32 pm

Synciere wrote:There's no point in getting Brunson if we get Murray.

Disagree. Murray would make just as good a 2 gaurd and can back up point. He rebounds like a forward. He plays bigger than 6'4.

Brunson is a high efficiency player and more pure point. He can create his own shot and drive to the basket as well. These two together will create tremendously and not be too small a backcourt like a Mitch/Brunson could be.

Murray's ability to play the 2 in this equation makes them not exceedingly redundant.

Return to New York Knicks