ImageImageImageImageImage

Maybe Trevor Keels can be better than Johnny Davis

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Re: Maybe Trevor Keels can be better than Johnny Davis 

Post#21 » by Kampuchea » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:15 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Yeah maybe and maybe I'll wake up with a 12 inch d*ck

Sounds like a literal pain in the ass. Did you ask him to pull out right away after you woke up?

Maybe Jalen Brunson can have a better season than Curry. The other Curry.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#22 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:15 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Safe to say it is unlikely. The question really is are either players going to be difference makers on a winning team. Davis might be type of player the Knicks sign at 5M too much just to get him away from his current team to ultimately become an overpriced role player. Keels has some potential, but he has to realize some of it before we start pounding our chest.

Ivey, Mathurin, Davis are all 2nd yr players

None of them would be lottery picks last year

Keels has the pedigree to take a leap

Javale McGee had great tools, was young and had an olympian mother for pedigree. Still just is a solid back up center in the league.

The reason that the folks you did mention DID get picked is because they COMPLETED that first leap. Keels is in a giant pool of players who COULD make a leap, but might not. Keels might never be as good as those players were last year. I would not bet on that either, but its a possibility just like him being a better pro.

My point, just to reiterate, is that the older guys picked ahead of him accomplished something that allowed them to filter up into their draft slots. You can have 20 McDowells all-americans, they can all go to big ticket schools. 40% may pan out to be lotto picks. 30% may never make meaningful court time in their lives.

And these guys could be back ups too

I would argue that Keels already made the 1stvleap playing at 18 on a stacked Duke team with 3-4 older NBA player on the team
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,914

Post#23 » by stuporman » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:27 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Safe to say it is unlikely. The question really is are either players going to be difference makers on a winning team. Davis might be type of player the Knicks sign at 5M too much just to get him away from his current team to ultimately become an overpriced role player. Keels has some potential, but he has to realize some of it before we start pounding our chest.

Javale McGee had great tools, was young and had an olympian mother for pedigree. Still just is a solid back up center in the league.

The reason that the folks you did mention DID get picked is because they COMPLETED that first leap. Keels is in a giant pool of players who COULD make a leap, but might not. Keels might never be as good as those players were last year. I would not bet on that either, but its a possibility just like him being a better pro.

My point, just to reiterate, is that the older guys picked ahead of him accomplished something that allowed them to filter up into their draft slots. You can have 20 McDowells all-americans, they can all go to big ticket schools. 40% may pan out to be lotto picks. 30% may never make meaningful court time in their lives.

or

???
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,549

Post#24 » by Gravy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:38 pm

Gravy wrote:He will score 18pts in a summer league game and fans will say he's the next Lowry. By December Knicks fans will be calling for Thibs to be fired if he doesnt start Montero because he''s the key to the season. Same with Keels

HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#25 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:46 pm

DrCoach wrote:I dont see what the issue is. Keels was better as a freshman and is 1.5 yrs younger

Maybe the issue is watching them play instead of using stats with no context
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#26 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:59 pm

stuporman wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

or

???

suited for royalty
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#27 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 pm

DrCoach wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

And these guys could be back ups too

I would argue that Keels already made the 1stvleap playing at 18 on a stacked Duke team with 3-4 older NBA player on the team

You could argue that, but it would be a very weak argument. There are players with better pedigree and upside who overcame that barrier who were taken earlier in the 2nd round and some that did not even get drafted. Just how it goes.
Never forget. He was better than Dwight Howard. Better than anyone Isiah was going to draft they said.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#28 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:06 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:I dont see what the issue is. Keels was better as a freshman and is 1.5 yrs younger

McDonalds All American, Nike Hoop Summit, Jordan Brand, ACC All Rookie Team and Coach K and now a NBA team watched him play and liked what they saw.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#29 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Code: Select all

img]
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,471

Post#30 » by ellobo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:38 pm

DrCoach wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:

McDonalds All American, Nike Hoop Summit, Jordan Brand, ACC All Rookie Team and Coach K and now a NBA team watched him play and liked what they saw.

By the eye test, my closest comp for him is Isaiah Briscoe. A powerful guard who needs to play with the ball in his hands, but isn't really a point guard and can't really shoot. Briscoe also had the high school bona fides and played for top college (Kentucky):

He was the nation's consensus top point guard, was ranked No. 13 overall player by ESPN and Scout, No. 10 by Rivals, and No. 12 by 24/7 Sports recruiting services. He helped lead Team USA at the 2014 FIBA Americans U18 Championships to a gold medal. He was a first-team Parade All-American in 2015. He was a McDonald's All-American Game, Jordan Brand Classic, and Nike Hoop Summit game selection.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#31 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:42 pm

DrCoach wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:

I mean in comparison to Davis maneuvering. Jonny is a maestro on the court .. picking his spots, timing the defense, creating for himself and others, intensity on defense.... far and away on another level to Keels. I saw Keels too, nothing spectacular stuck out, whereas Davis was clearly an alpha dog.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,285

Post#32 » by Hes_On_Fire » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:10 pm

DrCoach wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:

For a guy who is wrong so often you're very arrogantly confident.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#33 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Maybe the issue is watching them play instead of using stats with no context

For a guy who is wrong so often you're very arrogantly confident.

One. Not sure if you read and comprehend well.
I had no part in any if his selections or credentials.

Two. Please be specific about what im wrong about.

Three. Lions arent concerned with the opinions of sheep
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#34 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:04 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Maybe the issue is watching them play instead of using stats with no context

I mean in comparison to Davis maneuvering. Jonny is a maestro on the court .. picking his spots, timing the defense, creating for himself and others, intensity on defense.... far and away on another level to Keels. I saw Keels too, nothing spectacular stuck out, whereas Davis was clearly an alpha dog.

You. Are comparing 2nd yr Davis to 1sr yr Keels.

Nobody was taking Davis and his 7ppg as a freshman last yr was my point.

Keels was better and younger as a comparison
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#35 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:05 pm

ellobo wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

By the eye test, my closest comp for him is Isaiah Briscoe. A powerful guard who needs to play with the ball in his hands, but isn't really a point guard and can't really shoot. Briscoe also had the high school bona fides and played for top college (Kentucky):

He was the nation's consensus top point guard, was ranked No. 13 overall player by ESPN and Scout, No. 10 by Rivals, and No. 12 by 24/7 Sports recruiting services. He helped lead Team USA at the 2014 FIBA Americans U18 Championships to a gold medal. He was a first-team Parade All-American in 2015. He was a McDonald's All-American Game, Jordan Brand Classic, and Nike Hoop Summit game selection.

Interesting comparison. Do you think Keels is a PG?
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,815

Post#36 » by 8516knicks » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:40 pm

DrCoach wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Davis was the guy i was hoping for but in closer look

Keels is better as a freshman on a top team
11pts 3rebs 3 asts. 16.5 PER
18 years old
1.5 years younger than Davis

Davis as freshman
7pts 4rebs 1asts

They are both 6’5

If Keel was given green light as soph its reasonable that he would perform better

Good points but we're nibbling at the edges of the problem while we're still stuck with Randle, Thibs, no PG, no 5 who can shoot and a FO who yearly focuses on the 2nd round instead of the 1st round.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#37 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:21 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Yeah maybe and maybe I'll wake up with a 12 inch d*ck

I did this morning. Scared me so bad I passed out and when I came to it was gone. Now I’m not sure if it really happened
ImageImageImage
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#38 » by Juggynaut » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:22 pm

DrCoach wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Davis was the guy i was hoping for but in closer look

Keels is better as a freshman on a top team
11pts 3rebs 3 asts. 16.5 PER
18 years old
1.5 years younger than Davis

Davis as freshman
7pts 4rebs 1asts

They are both 6’5

If Keel was given green light as soph its reasonable that he would perform better

You're right about Ivey and Davis, but Mathurin would have lotto last year. He was good as a freshman and would be picked around where Josh Primo went.

Keels could be good, but I'm personally not high on him.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,471

Post#39 » by ellobo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:19 pm

DrCoach wrote:
ellobo wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

By the eye test, my closest comp for him is Isaiah Briscoe. A powerful guard who needs to play with the ball in his hands, but isn't really a point guard and can't really shoot. Briscoe also had the high school bona fides and played for a top college (Kentucky):

Interesting comparison. Do you think Keels is a PG?

See above.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#40 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:47 pm

DrCoach wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

You. Are comparing 2nd yr Davis to 1sr yr Keels.

Nobody was taking Davis and his 7ppg as a freshman last yr was my point.

Keels was better and younger as a comparison

You do have a point with the two and Keels playing as the #4 or #5 on that Duke team and being a 5 star recruit, but Jonny Davis really took a huge leap from his 1st to 2nd year and Keels will have to do that against better competition and will have to do that in the G-League where you can put up great stats and the teams still can't find room for you to get consistent minutes on the NBA team, and that's if you even make it up to the NBA team. Then if he did make it up to the NBA team he'll be sitting on the end of the bench most of his time there especially if he's playing for Thibs coached Knicks team.

The easy example is Duece McBride. It'll be harder for Keels to show he can play well in the NBA and end up as good of a or a better player than Johnny who'll be probably starting from day one with Wash and if not starting then they'll find ways to get him plenty of minutes.

Return to New York Knicks