ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 draft thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Re: 2023 draft thread 

Post#81 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jul 2, 2022 3:05 am

Polk377 wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:
Adelheid wrote:What was apparent in my eyes is that Knicks would normally choose guys with great measurables but very basic bball talent and at times, raw -- which is bad when you consider that the knicks are not good at developing rooks.

That's why I wanted Mikal Bridges that year. He was the more proven player but didn't seem to have the ceiling the other prospects did.

I wanted Miles. Given what has happened with him that would have been the most Knicks thing that could have happened. Would have gotten a budding star only to get banned from the league in his contract year.

I wanted Miles too. But I'll tell you something you may find funny. When I saw Miles I saw him as a skilled bullyball small forward and would be awesome. Critics told me he'd be trash cuz he'd end up a 6'5 PF.

What's crazy is they were right in that he sortve is a a 6'5 PF except he is pretty awesome at it.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#82 » by Polk377 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 3:21 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:That's why I wanted Mikal Bridges that year. He was the more proven player but didn't seem to have the ceiling the other prospects did.

I wanted Miles. Given what has happened with him that would have been the most Knicks thing that could have happened. Would have gotten a budding star only to get banned from the league in his contract year.

I wanted Miles too. But I'll tell you something you may find funny. When I saw Miles I saw him as a skilled bullyball small forward and would be awesome. Critics told me he'd be trash cuz he'd end up a 6'5 PF.

What's crazy is they were right in that he sortve is a a 6'5 PF except he is pretty awesome at it.

I thought he was going to be Larry Johnson 2.0. Start out as a bully SF and end up a PF down the line so I guess I was right :lol:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#83 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jul 2, 2022 11:05 am

How can anyone even post in here anymore?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#84 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jul 2, 2022 11:08 am

nyk2017 wrote:
Synciere wrote:New York Knicks Future Draft Picks

2023 first round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 1st round pick to New York protected for selections 1-10 in 2023, 1-10 in 2024 and 1-10 in 2025; if Dallas has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2025, then Dallas will instead convey its 2025 2nd round pick to New York [Dallas-New York, 1/31/2019]

2023 first round draft pick from Detroit
Detroit's 1st round pick to New York (via Houston to Oklahoma City) protected for selections 1-18 in 2023, 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027; if Detroit has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2027, then Detroit will instead convey its 2027 2nd round pick to New York [Detroit-Houston, 11/24/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021; New York-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022]

2023 first round draft pick from Washington
Washington's 1st round pick to New York (via Houston to Oklahoma City) protected for selections 1-14 in 2023, 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026; if Washington has not conveyed a 1st round pick to New York by 2026, then Washington will instead convey its 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round pick to New York [Houston-Washington, 12/2/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021; New York-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2022]

2023 second round draft pick from Detroit
Detroit's 2023 2nd round pick to New York (via Philadelphia to L.A. Clippers to Minnesota) [Detroit-Philadelphia, 6/21/2018; L.A. Clippers-Philadelphia, 2/6/2019; L.A. Clippers-Minnesota, 11/19/2020; Minnesota-New York-Oklahoma City, 11/20/2020]

2024 second round draft pick from Utah or Cleveland (more favorable)
New York will receive the more favorable of Utah's 2024 2nd round pick and Cleveland's 2024 2nd round pick; Memphis will receive the more favorable of (i) Indiana's 2024 second round pick and (ii) the less favorable of the Utah pick and the Cleveland pick and Indiana will receive the least favorable of the three (via Utah's right to swap for Cleveland; via Milwaukee to Memphis) [Cleveland-Sacramento-Utah, 2/8/2018; New York-Utah, 11/22/2020; Brooklyn-Cleveland-Houston-Indiana, 1/16/2021; Indiana-Milwaukee, 7/30/2021; Memphis-Milwaukee, 8/7/2021]

2024 second round draft pick from Detroit
Detroit's 2024 2nd round pick to New York (via L.A. Clippers) [Brooklyn-Detroit-L.A. Clippers, 11/19/2020; L.A. Clippers-New York, 7/30/2021]

2024 second round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 2024 2nd round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 31-50 and 56-60 or to New York (via Cleveland to Detroit to Philadelphia) protected for selections 31-55 (Miami's obligation(s) to Atlanta and/or New York will thereafter be extinguished) [Cleveland-Miami, 2/8/2018; Atlanta-Miami, 6/19/2019; Cleveland-Detroit, 6/26/2019; Detroit-Philadelphia, 7/7/2019; New York-Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 3/25/2021]

2025 second round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2025 2nd round pick to New York (via Atlanta) [Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/13/2018; Atlanta-New York, 1/13/2022]

2026 second round draft pick from Minnesota
Minnesota's 2026 2nd round pick to New York [Minnesota-New York, 11/24/2020]

Why isn't the Mil 2025 FRP not listed?

Also, I think that Detroit 2nd rounder went back to Detroit
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#85 » by sol537 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 12:15 pm

If we do a deal with LAL that sends Randle, Fournier, Rose for WB and picks, we could go full youth movement and likely get into the lottery again. Probably top 10 but not top 5 because some teams are going for it hard (SAS, UTAH, OKC, etc)
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,572

Post#86 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jul 2, 2022 12:17 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:How can anyone even post in here anymore?

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
KnicksNext
Veteran
And1: 1,509

Post#87 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:46 am

This will be the most pointless thread we've ever had on this site. We won't be drafting ANYONE in 2023. Haven't you paid attn the past two years? :lol:
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#88 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:53 am

Gravy wrote:According to Knicks fans every team got better than us because they all drafted a superstar this draft and we did not. So we are guaranteed a top five pick! :rockon:

That's not what most people are saying. We all know we're going to win at least 35 games now with Brunson. It's not about other teams getting better, which by the way.. name 5 rosters worse than ours. I dare you.

It's about our stupid front office dishing out all those deals last year, winning meaningless games at the end of the year, year after year. You're actually the one being extreme here. If you just take off the goggles for a second, you'll see those of us saying we're disappointed with our FO again, you'll see why. It's not that hard too see what they did.

We are locked into mediocrity for the next 3 years. Feel free to talk about how we're building a championship team, but the rest of us will live in reality.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#89 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:54 am

cgmw wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
cgmw wrote:Can we talk about which established veterans Leon will attempt to trade all of these picks to acquire as if his very employment depended on it?

I 100% get the criticism for Leon, but he traded a 2022 #11 pick for 3 future firsts, then he did a swap of 1sts and gave up 4 2nds to shed salary. The Knicks have 11 firsts and 11 2nds over the next 7 years. They're not dumping picks.

Now . . . future actions may change that, but for all Leon's flaws and unwillingness to do a full rebuild, has shown some respect for not giving away picks.

I understand and empathize with fan bias toward wanting to believe the Knicks have a shot at these up-and-coming prospects, but let’s look at the objective track-record here:

• 2022: Leon keeps Burks post-deadline, late-season win streak, brags about it in letter to ticket holders, apologizes for missing playoffs, gets 11 pick, trades out of draft.

• 2021: Extends 5 veterans including Randle, brings in Fournier/Kemba as starters, trades back in first round.

• 2020: Hires coach known for not playing rookies. Takes 23 year old “backup QB” (over obvious developmental higher ceiling guard Haliburton), stocks roster with vets to play ahead of Obi + ahead of literally every young player except RJ.

Objectively, it seems highly unlikely that Leon Rose and Tom Thibs have any intention of drafting impact rookies in 2023. The track record indicates Leon will do everything in his power to leverage those picks for the veteran help that Thibs craves and Dolan demands to make the playoffs as promised in his letter to ticket holders.

This thread, like hundreds if not thousands of hours of Knick YouTube content analyzing prospects, is entertaining but a total waste of time. The purpose of threads like these is simply to make some Knick fans feel better emotionally by pretending like one of these prospects might save us.

Could not have said it better myself. Great post dude. This needs to be pinned at the top of every thread we have here.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#90 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:56 am

RHODEY wrote:Keeping an eye on that Dallas Pick. We get Brunson and that weakens them a bit. Nuggets and Clippers at full Strength should be Better. . ..That 2023 pick is top ten protected but still in a deep draft that could be something of worth .

We're not getting the Dallas pick last year. You really think a Luka lead team will miss the playoffs? And you're a really good poster, too. Do you believe we have a shot? I mean, seriously do you really believe that?
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#91 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:59 am

Gravy wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
Gravy wrote:33-39 wins for the next 5 years would be annoying. We'll see what happens with Brunson and the 2023 draft, if they trade all the kids and all the picks for Westbrook then you were right

We’re literally averaging 31 wins over the last ten years and it doesn’t look too different over 20 I think (actually we’re literally averaging 32 wins over 20 years - how depressing is that?). Why not 21 or 51? The answer is that we’re doing it all wrong. Orlando just had two sessions worth 21 and 22 wins respectively. They just drafted #1 again, they’re loaded with young talent at every position.

It looks worse when you dont move up at all in the lotto. I believe every team has moved up except us in the last 20 years. They are not all getting the worst record. Pelicans and Grizzlies got 1st and 2nd picks with 33 wins

You're going to blame some of the Knicks last 20 years of failure on luck because we didn't move up? I kind of get what you're saying in terms of maybe getting lucky and getting Ja (for example). But that's a pretty lame excuse for the pathetic record the Knicks have over the past 20 years.

Why will next year be any different? Is Brunson going to add 15 wins? Hartenstein?
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#92 » by Juggynaut » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:02 am

KnicksNext wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Keeping an eye on that Dallas Pick. We get Brunson and that weakens them a bit. Nuggets and Clippers at full Strength should be Better. . ..That 2023 pick is top ten protected but still in a deep draft that could be something of worth .

We're not getting the Dallas pick last year. You really think a Luka lead team will miss the playoffs? And you're a really good poster, too. Do you believe we have a shot? I mean, seriously do you really believe that?

Get some reading comprehension bro he never said anything about them missing the playoffs. We might get a good pick is all.
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#93 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:03 am

cgmw wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:
Gravy wrote:You are right that they tried to make the playoffs the following year. What's funny is they still ended up with the guy in the draft they really wanted..Obi. So its a moot point whether they tanked or not that season.

I'm a broken record but keep having to repeat it. 1st year post RJ draft in the last 10 games in a lost season we went 6-4. this took us out of contention of drafting Lamelo or Ant Edwards and putting us in play for OBI. I love Obi but not at the expense of Lamelo who was the guy we originally wanted. We didn't tank but we stunk and our decision to win meaningless games like we do every year hurt us.

It’s nice to see some fans actually seeing the truth finally after so many years of this bullsh*t.

It’s amazing to me how many fans will swear up and down defending the Knicks irrational late-season win streaks, and even more amazing how few fans realize what an absolute travesty it was to sign Randle before RJ’s rookie year and not tank one more time for a running mate.

RJ’s rookie season MSG, Inc. was all about “Playoffs!” when any sane franchise would have played one more season for Ant/Lamelo/and yes Wiseman.

Even after that season, it’s inexcusable for Leon not to dump Randle as one of his first moves and tank for the Mobley draft. Anyway, here we go again “winning now” behind Rick Brunson’s kid as if he’s the next coming of Walt Clyde when it was entirely possible for the Knicks to have a core of Lamelo, RJ, Mobley right now.

Add Mikal Bridges, SGA, Bam, and DONOVAN MITCHELL (ouch)
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#94 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:06 am

Juggynaut wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:

Get some reading comprehension bro he never said anything about them missing the playoffs. We might get a good pick is all.

in 2023? Why will we get a good pick? And also, we won't draft anyone if we did. Pointless, but carry on.

And good for you for White Knighting.. :lol:
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,623

Post#95 » by Gravy » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:21 am

KnicksNext wrote:
Gravy wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:We’re literally averaging 31 wins over the last ten years and it doesn’t look too different over 20 I think (actually we’re literally averaging 32 wins over 20 years - how depressing is that?). Why not 21 or 51? The answer is that we’re doing it all wrong. Orlando just had two sessions worth 21 and 22 wins respectively. They just drafted #1 again, they’re loaded with young talent at every position.

It looks worse when you dont move up at all in the lotto. I believe every team has moved up except us in the last 20 years. They are not all getting the worst record. Pelicans and Grizzlies got 1st and 2nd picks with 33 wins

You're going to blame some of the Knicks last 20 years of failure on luck because we didn't move up? I kind of get what you're saying in terms of maybe getting lucky and getting Ja (for example). But that's a pretty lame excuse for the pathetic record the Knicks have over the past 20 years.

Why will next year be any different? Is Brunson going to add 15 wins? Hartenstein?

How many wins do you see Brunson adding to a team that had no pg all season?
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#96 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:23 am

Gravy wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:
Gravy wrote:It looks worse when you dont move up at all in the lotto. I believe every team has moved up except us in the last 20 years. They are not all getting the worst record. Pelicans and Grizzlies got 1st and 2nd picks with 33 wins

Honestly with Randle around not that many. Maybe 5-7 at best. Which puts us square in the middle of the league. So exciting! And I love Brunson. None of this talk is about him. Not his fault. It's all about the history of our dysfunctional franchise.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#97 » by RHODEY » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:28 am

Juggynaut wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:

Thank you, I swear some of these guys seem like they just cant read properly...
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,623

Post#98 » by Gravy » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:31 am

KnicksNext wrote:
Gravy wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:

Honestly with Randle around not that many. Maybe 5-7 at best. Which puts us square in the middle of the league. So exciting! And I love Brunson. None of this talk is about him. Not his fault. It's all about the history of our dysfunctional franchise.

Its fair to be down on Randle. However this team is not complete, they obviously want to get at least one more big piece and also evaluate Randle next season. Who knows if they can execute it but that is the plan.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,754

Post#99 » by Fat » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:32 am

Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
KnicksNext
Veteran

Post#100 » by KnicksNext » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:36 am

Gravy wrote:
KnicksNext wrote:
Gravy wrote:How many wins do you see Brunson adding to a team that had no pg all season?

Its fair to be down on Randle. However this team is not complete, they obviously want to get at least one more big piece and also evaluate Randle next season. Who knows if they can execute it but that is the plan.

Valid points. Personally I think they're basically done now unless somehow some star demands to be traded to the Knicks, which unfortunately we know is not very likely.

I think they're set for the next few years with the deals they handed out. It's Brunson/Randle/RJ/Mitch for the foreseeable future.

As a fan I kind of hate being in the situation of signing a good player like Brunson, but also be so pissed at this franchise for messing so many things up.

Either way I'll be watching almost every game next year. Randle is the X factor for sure. I don't believe he's going to be okay with handing the reigns to Brunson, but that's yet to be seen.

Return to New York Knicks