ImageImageImageImageImage

If not Mitchell then who?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,712

Re: If not Mitchell then who? 

Post#41 » by ccvle » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:30 pm

louisorr wrote:Buy low on Miles Bridges?
Don't shoot the messenger. It worked with Spree.

One attacked another man. One attacked a woman.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,492

Post#42 » by Iron Mantis » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:37 pm

Sark wrote:Just keep building around what we have.

In the history of the NBA, it's extremely rare to trade all your assets for a player, and then win a championship. In fact, I can only think of the Raptors who traded for a star and won, except they didn't give up everything and had a playoff team already.

Just about every championship team has drafted their top players, or in the Lakers case, sign them as free agents. But the Lakers are an exception to everything.

These types of trades never end in success. We will make a playoff or two, but this will set us back a decade. No assets to trade for other players, and no cap space to sign someone.

To be fair, after a 24-58 record, the Celtics traded for KG and Ray Allen and immediately won a championship...
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#43 » by Sark » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:32 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:

In the history of the NBA, it's extremely rare to trade all your assets for a player, and then win a championship. In fact, I can only think of the Raptors who traded for a star and won, except they didn't give up everything and had a playoff team already.

Just about every championship team has drafted their top players, or in the Lakers case, sign them as free agents. But the Lakers are an exception to everything.

These types of trades never end in success. We will make a playoff or two, but this will set us back a decade. No assets to trade for other players, and no cap space to sign someone.

To be fair, after a 24-58 record, the Celtics traded for KG and Ray Allen and immediately won a championship...

The key words from my comment are "all your assets". They traded scrubs + 2x first round picks for KG, and scrubs + a second round pick for Ray Allen.

Trading scrubs + 2 picks for Mitchell is a no brianer. Trading a king's ransom for him is dumb AF.

They also had Paul Pierce in place, who is better than anyone on our current roster.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#44 » by El Poochio » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:37 pm

Grimes

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,492

Post#45 » by Iron Mantis » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:45 pm

Sark wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:

The key words from my comment are "all your assets". They traded scrubs + 2x first round picks for KG, and scrubs + a second round pick for Ray Allen.

Trading scrubs + 2 picks for Mitchell is a no brianer. Trading a king's ransom for him is dumb AF.

They also had Paul Pierce in place, who is better than anyone on our current roster.

Right.

The Knicks are actually flush with assets right now, so the can get D.Mich and still have assets left over.

If they traded "all" their assets for D.Mitch....the trade would be something like 8 first round picks, Obi, Quick, Grimes, Cam, McBride, Sims, D.Rose for D.Mitch....which is ridiculous.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#46 » by Sark » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:54 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Sark wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote: To be fair, after a 24-58 record, the Celtics traded for KG and Ray Allen and immediately won a championship...

Right.

The Knicks are actually flush with assets right now, so the can get D.Mich and still have assets left over.

If they traded "all" their assets for D.Mitch....the trade would be something like 8 first round picks, Obi, Quick, Grimes, Cam, McBride, Sims, D.Rose for D.Mitch....which is ridiculous.

It's going to be just about all of our picks. We won't be able to trade a pick until 2031 because of the Stepien Rule.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,298

Post#47 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:04 am

xsaberx wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Sark wrote:

Instead of using 6-8 picks to get a fringe star, instead use them to move up in a loaded draft and get an impact player that we can develop and control for 8+ years.

The way the other 28 teams build.

The Lakers are the Lakers and will always attract the top players, and don't have to build like anyone else.

Using picks to trade up in a draft for an unproven player? Does that seem like what this team is about to do? They just traded out of the lottery to free up cap space to sign Brunson (who may be an all star level talent himself). They seem intent on TRADING picks/players to build their team.

If they don't trade for Mitchell...I could see them trying to get KD or something or waiting for next year's disgruntled star...who will probably be Mitchell by then...or whoever.

I don't see them looking to trade up in the draft but...it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Maybe if they strike out in all trade attempts they try that next year.

They tried to do it this year for Ivey.

We can always just use our picks

We can get two shots in the 2023 draft that is supposed to be 30 deep in lottery talent

The wiz pick will ultimately only be top 8 protected. Maybe the bucks have a bad year in 2025.

If we use all our picks we might get someone eventually. I also agree that building through the draft is the right way. But you need to stop trying to win until you get the transcendent guy, and we aren't willing to do that ever. Maybe this management will crack a new way. Maybe RJ will somehow become a lot more than he is now. Maybe we get Mitchell and in 4 or 5 years, there is a kawhi like raptors option that becomes available as we are perennial playoff but not chip team and Donovan and Brunson are 30, RJ is 27.

So what you're saying is....you agree with me? :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#48 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm

Fournier, Rose, those a couple of those 1sts from OKC for Ben Simmons? Gamble on Simmons being able to get back to something close to what he was?
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#49 » by BBALLER4FR » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:32 pm

moocow007 wrote:Fournier, Rose, those a couple of those 1sts from OKC for Ben Simmons? Gamble on Simmons being able to get back to something close to what he was?

A Brunson/Simmons/RJ backcourt? Brunson can shoot but the other 2.... Belch! BUT, but that defense though. Simmons at 6'11" playing guard defense...

So, I'm kinda torn.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:41 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Fournier, Rose, those a couple of those 1sts from OKC for Ben Simmons? Gamble on Simmons being able to get back to something close to what he was?

A Brunson/Simmons/RJ backcourt? Brunson can shoot but the other 2.... Belch! BUT, but that defense though. Simmons at 6'11" playing guard defense...

So, I'm kinda torn.

:lol: We get to keep all our young guys and all our own picks. Come on you know you wanna.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:49 pm

How about trading RJ back home to Toronto for OG Anunoby and a future 1st?
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,336

Post#52 » by rajajackal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:12 pm

moocow007 wrote:How about trading RJ back home to Toronto for OG Anunoby and a future 1st?

if we're gonna trade rj we should just include him in the mitchell trade so we can keep grimes cam and obi
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,778

Post#53 » by spree8 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:15 pm

rajajackal wrote:
moocow007 wrote:How about trading RJ back home to Toronto for OG Anunoby and a future 1st?

if we're gonna trade rj we should just include him in the mitchell trade so we can keep grimes cam and obi

We shouldn’t have to give Obi up for Mitchell.

But I’d do RJ for OG straight up in a heartbeat. If they wanna add a pick on top of it, even better.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,263

Post#54 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:17 pm

I am glad none of you are the Knicks GM.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#55 » by BBALLER4FR » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:27 pm

moocow007 wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:

So, I'm kinda torn.

:lol: We get to keep all our young guys and all our own picks. Come on you know you wanna.

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#56 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Do you REALLY want Simmons on the free throw line with the Knicks down by 1 with .05 seconds on the clock shooting two? I've seen that movie a few times....
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#57 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:26 pm

Play the mediocre youth and win 38 games
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,180

Post#58 » by Garbagelo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 pm

For the package we are supposedly willing to give up, rather get a true SF like Jaylen Brown or a more efficient combo guard like SGA
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#59 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:36 pm

Can't wait to see the Knicks run back the scrub kids
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:

Do you REALLY want Simmons on the free throw line with the Knicks down by 1 with .05 seconds on the clock shooting two? I've seen that movie a few times....

You know what though? Plenty of teams have won with guys that couldn't shoot free throws. The hope here is that his overall game wins you more than his weaknesses lose you. I mean that's true of most players right?

Return to New York Knicks