ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#141 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:45 pm

Stanton with another injury, fragile man strikes again.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,355

Post#142 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:23 am

Volpe with 7 steals in 16 games.

How many steals this year for him? 50? 60?
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#143 » by knicks94 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:33 am

Cashman ran back almost the exact same flawed roster other than signing Rodon and Kahnle, both of whom are out because they are, shockingly, injured.

Who is going to save this offense? Not Donaldson and Bader. Stanton is out until at least June. They have no lineup depth because Cashman and Hal pinched pennies again on the bench, but were fine spending $6 million to double down on replacement-level IKF.

The rotation is garbage right now because Cashman gutted the minor league SP depth to trade for an obviously injured Montas last July. Rodon and Severino aren't going to be back until at least May, and maybe even later if there are further setbacks.

This is an organizational failure, year after year, and yet the architects of that failure are rewarded with lengthy contract extensions. You can't even praise Cashman for bringing back Judge - Hal had to do his job for him after yet another lowball offer that nearly lost him.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#144 » by Papi_swav » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:23 pm

Our offense stinks
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#145 » by moocow007 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:17 am

It’s Cashmans advanced stats team. They suck. I’m still amazed why the Yankees don’t try and buy the respective stat teams from the Astros and Rays. Probably because Cashman in his pride wants to prove that he don’t need help? Also what exactly is Sabean and Minaya doing? They were clearly Hal hires.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#146 » by moocow007 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:17 am

It’s Cashmans advanced stats team. They suck. I’m still amazed why the Yankees don’t try and buy the respective stat teams from the Astros and Rays. Probably because Cashman in his pride wants to prove that he don’t need help? Also what exactly is Sabean and Minaya doing? They were clearly Hal hires.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#147 » by Phish Tank » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:00 am

moocow007 wrote:It’s Cashmans advanced stats team. They suck. I’m still amazed why the Yankees don’t try and buy the respective stat teams from the Astros and Rays. Probably because Cashman in his pride wants to prove that he don’t need help? Also what exactly is Sabean and Minaya doing? They were clearly Hal hires.

Cashman refuses to learn lessons from his previous mistakes

He's traded with the A's 3 times.... all 3 of them have been busts (Jeff Weaver, Sonny Gray, and now Montas). They all fit the same formula: the pitchers have no mental makeup for NY (Gray, Weaver) or are clearly hobbled (Montas).

Thich brings us up to his other problem: He doesn't see injury flags from a mile away. He didn't foresee the injury risks with the team and didn't sign any reinforcements as a result.

I also think he's not as proactive in terms of injury prevention as needed. We've been one of the most brittle teams in recent years under Cashman's watch, even after hiring Cressey. It's definitely a blind spot. Also a lot of pitching injuries under his watch.
He also has no eye for signing pitching talent outside of the surefire guys (Cole, CC, probably Mike Mussina). Signed way too many duds, gets duped by pitchers who pitch for the Braves (Jaret Wright, Javy Vazquez) and As, etc.

And the final thing is that he never sells high on AAAA talent. We've seen a lot of players stagnate in AAA and then we end up DFAing them. The list goes on and on and on and on and on. It's a foresight problem as well as a developmental problem. Too much overemphasis on launch angles lead to high strikeout prospects. Too much emphasis on throwing hard led to the multitude of TJS with our prospects.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#148 » by Davis18 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:29 am

Phish Tank wrote:
moocow007 wrote:It’s Cashmans advanced stats team. They suck. I’m still amazed why the Yankees don’t try and buy the respective stat teams from the Astros and Rays. Probably because Cashman in his pride wants to prove that he don’t need help? Also what exactly is Sabean and Minaya doing? They were clearly Hal hires.

He's traded with the A's 3 times.... all 3 of them have been busts (Jeff Weaver, Sonny Gray, and now Montas). They all fit the same formula: the pitchers have no mental makeup for NY (Gray, Weaver) or are clearly hobbled (Montas).

Thich brings us up to his other problem: He doesn't see injury flags from a mile away. He didn't foresee the injury risks with the team and didn't sign any reinforcements as a result.

I also think he's not as proactive in terms of injury prevention as needed. We've been one of the most brittle teams in recent years under Cashman's watch, even after hiring Cressey. It's definitely a blind spot. Also a lot of pitching injuries under his watch.
He also has no eye for signing pitching talent outside of the surefire guys (Cole, CC, probably Mike Mussina). Signed way too many duds, gets duped by pitchers who pitch for the Braves (Jaret Wright, Javy Vazquez) and As, etc.

And the final thing is that he never sells high on AAAA talent. We've seen a lot of players stagnate in AAA and then we end up DFAing them. The list goes on and on and on and on and on. It's a foresight problem as well as a developmental problem. Too much overemphasis on launch angles lead to high strikeout prospects. Too much emphasis on throwing hard led to the multitude of TJS with our prospects.

Cashman gotta go after this season if we don't win.
Rays outperforming consistently.
There is no excuse.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,907

Post#149 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:19 pm

Davis18 wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

Cashman gotta go after this season if we don't win.
Rays outperforming consistently.
There is no excuse.

Don't hold your breath.

Hal's head is stuck up Cashman's ass. He's not going to fire him.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#150 » by Papi_swav » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:52 pm

they're just collecting free checks and getting their belly's fatter. I don't get it either, contact hitting is what's needed for playoff success. Instead we have a full roster of HR or strikeout guys it's ridiculous at this point.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#151 » by knicks94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:37 am

Looking at how good the AL East has been and the position that the Yankees are currently in my question is did Cashman underestimate the division? Or did he believe that he had the necessary horses to compete with Tampa,Toronto and a much improved Baltimore?

Although we haven’t been bad record wise,this season is giving me 2013-14 vibes so far.I remember in one of those years the Yankees not being able to go more than 7 games over .500 and had a roster of nothing but journey men and overpaid former all stars who were past their primes.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,697

Post#152 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:41 am

They're arguing with Cashman. :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,697

Post#153 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:42 am

knicks94 wrote:Looking at how good the AL East has been and the position that the Yankees are currently in my question is did Cashman underestimate the division? Or did he believe that he had the necessary horses to compete with Tampa,Toronto and a much improved Baltimore?

Although we haven’t been bad record wise,this season is giving me 2013-14 vibes so far.I remember in one of those years the Yankees not being able to go more than 7 games over .500 and had a roster of nothing but journey men and overpaid former all stars who were past their primes.

It's still a long season. The trade deadline is still a couple months away. Gotta just keep grinding it out for now. Somehow, you're team always seems to end up in the playoffs.
Free Palestine
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#154 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:29 pm

If Stanton can't stay healthy it changes the whole complexion of the lineup.... We desperately need Bader back... Is disgusting that Hicks is still on this **** roster man... It's bad enough we got these bums Donaldson & IKDGAF :banghead:

So many **** players hitting in the .100's smfh

Until Volpe & Cabrera can become more consistent we are ****

I just don't understand the logic of getting Cordero... So fans can say his "cool" name? He's horrendous.... He's a career .216 hitter, his last 2 years with boston he hit .189 & .219.... Are u **** serious?
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#155 » by Papi_swav » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:43 pm

this is going to be a long summer
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#156 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:46 pm

Papi_swav wrote:this is going to be a long summer

Disgusting...... So **** disgusting
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,355

Post#157 » by thebuzzardman » Mon May 1, 2023 2:11 am

Maybe Cashman can finally get fired for assembling this weak hitting, no pitching, still expensive, yet fragile, pile of complete dogsh*t.
Starksfor3yes
Ballboy
And1: 42

Post#158 » by Starksfor3yes » Mon May 1, 2023 5:46 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Maybe Cashman can finally get fired for assembling this weak hitting, no pitching, still expensive, yet fragile, pile of complete dogsh*t.

Nope Hal will use injuries as an excuse and give Brian a contract extension and double down on him. If it was the old man around, Cash and Boone would have been gone a long time ago.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#159 » by GEOLINK » Tue May 2, 2023 9:48 am

We were ass last year and Cashman said "let's run it bacc with the same roster"

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#160 » by knicks94 » Tue May 2, 2023 10:55 am

I love the Yankees, but this team really needs to continue losing and eventually finish the season below .500 and miss the playoffs. A winning record will secure Cashman's job and a playoff appearance will give him another extension. I am 90 percent convinced that a losing season will get him canned. There will be so much backlash from the media and from Yankee fans that Hal will have no other choice but to replace his golden boy. And I don't think he will be able to have the safety net of blaming the season on injuries because the Yankees are in the position that they're in due to the fact that they gave out ridiculous contracts to guys with health issues and didn't bother addressing their real necessities.

Return to New York Knicks