ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#261 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri May 19, 2023 4:03 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Do we have any good arms in the farm system?

Not much and almost nothing in AAA.

Hamel & Vasil in AA, but I don't think we'll see either guy soon. Maybe not till next year.

Tidwell is their top pitching prospect in A+ but he's young and struggling some so far.

Ziegler is recovering from Surgery (bone spurs) and might pitch this year, perhaps A+. Matt Allan had Tommy John surgery and isn't expected to pitch this year. He's missed a ton of time.

So . . . not much. I wonder if they'll draft a lot of pitchers this draft.

It seems they’ve just been doing best talent available for awhile. They need to focus specifically on best pitching talent tho. Or grab some in the international signing money
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,249

Post#262 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri May 19, 2023 5:23 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
It seems they’ve just been doing best talent available for awhile. They need to focus specifically on best pitching talent tho. Or grab some in the international signing money

It's hard for me to argue with best player available and with Cohen's money he can usually buy a pitcher or two in free agency.

7 picks in the first 4 rounds due to 3 compensation picks.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1602416373510070272%7Ctwgr%5E37c33822e5904d11ec96951f1867046bc2a549a5%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmetsmerizedonline.com%2Fmets-will-have-seven-picks-before-the-fifth-round-of-2023-draft%2F

First pick is #32, then 56, 91, 101, 123, 134 and 135.

It's rare that stars are found in the 90s-130s and they'll probably want to save money on at least some of those picks, and overslot elsewhere but it's still good that they have extra picks, even if no picks in the top 30.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,647

Post#263 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 19, 2023 5:36 am

Pitchers have been brought up from AA before and had success. If Vasil and Hamel are dominant in AA and our starting rotation is disabled, the we may not have a choice unless we can make a trade.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#264 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri May 19, 2023 11:04 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Pitchers have been brought up from AA before and had success. If Vasil and Hamel are dominant in AA and our starting rotation is disabled, the we may not have a choice unless we can make a trade.

Dwight Gooden had never pitched higher than low-A when he was called up, but he got a spring training invite, and he looked so good in spring training that they added him to the rotation in 1984. 4th spot (He didn't win #1 till the following season), but he was their best pitcher that year, won ROY and became a legend.

But it's very rare. I think they'll pick someone up from waivers before they use Vasil or Hamel. Maybe, just maybe, in September when rosters expand. Nothing against them, but it's a big jump AA to MLB. Mostly their starters just have to stay healthy. Verlander, Scherzer, Carrasco (not sure how he'll do), Senga's been their best pitcher so far and McGill makes 5. After that it gets thin. Quintana might be 6-8 weeks away, not sure exactly, but he might help.

Carrasco's been really bad sometimes, so I don't know what we'll get from him. Lucchesi's been serviceable. Butto's been OK, but it's very thin after the starters.

Maybe they do a mid-season trade, but that gets expensive.
Go NY Go NY Go
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#265 » by 2010 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:26 am

Wow! What a game. What a comeback.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,586

Post#266 » by mpharris36 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:30 am

team has some really good mojo right now

trusting the kids and they are coming through

and now the vets Pete and Lindor vibing off the young guys.

Now bring up Mauricio and send down Vogelbach...he's got no role on the team now with Vientos up.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#267 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 20, 2023 3:14 am

mpharris36 wrote:team has some really good mojo right now

trusting the kids and they are coming through

and now the vets Pete and Lindor vibing off the young guys.

Now bring up Mauricio and send down Vogelbach...he's got no role on the team now with Vientos up.

Bing Bong?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#268 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 20, 2023 3:15 am

2010 wrote:Wow! What a game. What a comeback.

I thought that it was impossible to outdo Wednesday’s comeback win. I was wrong.

Here are the highlights of this stunning win:

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#269 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat May 20, 2023 9:46 am

Carrasco was bad, but the bats are back. :-)

I don't know if Carrasco is giving us anything this year.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#270 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 20, 2023 8:45 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Carrasco was bad, but the bats are back. :-)

I don't know if Carrasco is giving us anything this year.

I thought he settled down a little at the end of this start. He was hitting 94 on the gun and his breaking stuff looked fine. I think his location was off from not having pitched much recently. We'll see. I don't know if we have any other options for now.

Carlos Quintana is due back soon, FWIW. Maybe with a full starting rotation we can make a little noise now. We're back to .500.
Free Palestine
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#271 » by knickabocker88 » Sun May 21, 2023 12:04 am

Buck is too loyal to the vets, dangerous to platoon the kids. Mess with their confidence and stunt their development by not giving them regular ABs.

If Marte can get on track, I think the turnaround will be sustainable.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#272 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun May 21, 2023 12:41 am

knickabocker88 wrote:Buck is too loyal to the vets, dangerous to platoon the kids. Mess with their confidence and stunt their development by not giving them regular ABs.

That means cutting playing time for Vogelbach and Narvaez or trading them. I thought I read on twitter some saying that Vogelbach has options and can be sent down. I have no independent knowledge of that though.

Marte looks like he's aged quite a bit from last season.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun May 21, 2023 1:13 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:Buck is too loyal to the vets, dangerous to platoon the kids. Mess with their confidence and stunt their development by not giving them regular ABs.

Bucks job is to win games, not develop players. That's what the minors are for, though in the majors, the rooks can get lots of batting practice. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

HarthorneWingo wrote:That means cutting playing time for Vogelbach and Narvaez or trading them. I thought I read on twitter some saying that Vogelbach has options and can be sent down. I have no independent knowledge of that though.

Vogel has less than 5 years service time, which means he might have options if he hadn't already used all 3. All 3 have been used, so he's out of options. Here's an article from 2020, he was out of options then:

https://www.mlb.com/news/daniel-vogelbach-designated-for-assignment-by-mariners

Vogel's stats against righties aren't bad this year, he's just 0 for 8 against lefties which brings his totals down.

259 .400 .383 .783 is workable.

and Narvaez probably isn't going to be traded unless Gary Sanchez starts hitting again and wins the job. Narvaez is going to mentor Alvarez when he returns from the 60 day. Nido might get put on waivers when that happens.
Go NY Go NY Go
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#274 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun May 21, 2023 1:24 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:

Bucks job is to win games, not develop players. That's what the minors are for, though in the majors, the rooks can get lots of batting practice. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

HarthorneWingo wrote:That means cutting playing time for Vogelbach and Narvaez or trading them. I thought I read on twitter some saying that Vogelbach has options and can be sent down. I have no independent knowledge of that though.

Vogel has less than 5 years service time, which means he might have options if he hadn't already used all 3. All 3 have been used, so he's out of options. Here's an article from 2020, he was out of options then:

Vogel's stats against righties aren't bad this year, he's just 0 for 8 against lefties which brings his totals down.

and Narvaez probably isn't going to be traded unless Gary Sanchez starts hitting again and wins the job. Narvaez is going to mentor Alvarez when he returns from the 60 day. Nido might get put on waivers when that happens.
Vogelback provides absolutely nothing outside of the occasional single and the occasional walk. He was suppose to be a source of power. If he’s not being a real DH, then it’s not worth having to cover up his immense flaws ( can’t play the field or run the bases at all)
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#275 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun May 21, 2023 3:01 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

Vogelback provides absolutely nothing outside of the occasional single and the occasional walk. He was suppose to be a source of power. If he’s not being a real DH, then it’s not worth having to cover up his immense flaws ( can’t play the field or run the bases at all)

I kind of agree. Still, 259 .400 .383 .783 against righties isn't terrible and he has a pretty good track record to suggest he's servicable. He's also our lefty bat off the bench, and teams like to have one of those guys. I'm not saying they won't get rid of him, but I don't think it's a lock. Even as a DH/Bench player he's got some use.
Go NY Go NY Go
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#276 » by knickabocker88 » Sun May 21, 2023 4:09 pm

They weren't winning with all the dead weight in the lineup, Buck is / was trying not to kill the confidence of his guys (Vogelbach, Pham, Nido).

Guillorme being sent down was a blessing too, he was playing every day. Now you add Escobar, put McNeil in the outfield etc.

Anyways team goes as far as Pete and Lindor will take them. That was the case last year as well, the only issue is they have their cold months too, but plugging in these kids seems to have added length to the lineup.

Some of the Kids can be trade bait as well if there is an elite pitcher or position player in the market.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun May 21, 2023 9:52 pm

It's just one game, but good call on Marte!!

MLB pitching is so much better than it was, even just 10 years ago and hitting is hard. I think a most players are going to go through slumps now and again, even guys like Lindor & Alonso.

For comparison, and it's maybe not a fair comparison, but the Braves have 4 players with a .900 or better OPS. All of them under 30. The Mets best hitter, Pete Alonso, who's having a great season, has an .876 OPS. The Braves have one guy over 1,000 (Acuna is ridiculous) and 4 guys over 900. Mets have one guy over .800 That's not even close.

And don't get me started on the ridiculous Rays who have a team OPS of .850 - probably not sustainable, but that's nuts. Team OPS+ of 138. That's better than the 27 Yankees (127) or the 76 Reds (120/129 without pitchers).

The Mets have good hitting through depth. They have a player who can hit above average at every position and some pieces to move around for days off or lefty/righty, but outside of possibly Alonso, none of these hitters are stars. It's not bad, but it's not elite. The Braves are an elite hitting team right now. The Rays are preposterous. No guarantees those 2 teams keep it up.

The bats need to keep hitting and the pitchers need to perform, but they're not out of it. I still think this is a playoff team.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#278 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun May 21, 2023 10:09 pm

I can get used to this.

Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,586

Post#279 » by mpharris36 » Sun May 21, 2023 10:13 pm

HRs are contagious. My concern is the bullpen has been overworked and seems to be leaking gas.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#280 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 22, 2023 3:54 am

mpharris36 wrote:HRs are contagious. My concern is the bullpen has been overworked and seems to be leaking gas.

Aroldis Chapman?
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks