ImageImageImageImageImage

As this team is currently constructed would you trade Randle for Porzingis straight up?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Randle for Porzingis

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 127

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Re: As this team is currently constructed would you trade Randle for Porzingis straight up? 

Post#81 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 18, 2023 1:17 pm

Grinditout wrote:Honestly, yes KP has health issues, but if you're keeping Toppin, might be the ideal scenario.

This right here. There's few bench PFs that can easily plug into the starting lineup and get 15 and 8.

Trade Randle for KP. Washington gets to continue whatever they are doing, we get a stretch 4 and can play 5 at times. If he needs to rest, Obi is good for 20-25 games a season.

The kryptonite is Thibs trying to squeeze 38 mins a game for KP.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Re: As this team is currently constructed would you trade Randle for Porzingis straight up? 

Post#82 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 18, 2023 1:20 pm

If not KP.. then give me Brook Lopez and trade Mitch. You can't continue to trot out Randle and Mitch because Randle is not a reliable floor spacer (no one respects his shot) and Mitch can't play the end of games (yes I saw him in the playoffs but still a 50% FT shooter).

KP/Mitch
or
Randle/Lopez
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#83 » by Esq-4 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:22 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:No

You're not gonna trade a legitimate allstar who plays 79 games a season for a player who plays 60. And that doesn't mean I don't want KP. I'm actually a huge supoorter of bringing him back but KP doesn't solve for replacement star player or upgraded star player.

KP solves for all those other players that could've stepped up. He solves for that C that half of you guys fawn over that cab hit a free throw and spread the floor. He solves for the things critics of Mitch want. And as a Mitch fan who feels he's underutilized KP actually solves for things I refuse to give up in the search to improve that position. Many fans will fix one problem and create a new one. So what I like about KP is he gives the critics that big who can create a little, can spread the floor, hit his FTs and you must defend, however his defense is right on par if not better than Mitch.

In fact I wonder for those who don't like Mitch why KP isn't the first name on the list. He checks every box we need from a C except for durability. And of course, I remember the drama of how he left, but if you could look past the drama, it could be a great move with Randle IN MIND. FOR a guy like Randle. Now he drives in, and the paint isn't conjested because KP is on the perimeter.

So for me a trade is more like Mitch, Toppin plus a first for KP

Brunson, Grimes,Barrett,Randle, KP

That's a pretty balanced lineup. I can't see a reason you WOULDNT wanna explore that other than some emotional response of simply not liking a players attitude or something like that

There is logic to swapping Mitch for KP from a NYK standpoint (although not necessarily from a WAS standpoint unless it's the best they can do.)

However, I still don't like RJ and Randle together. That is why I'd still look to move Randle. I'm choosing the younger one who showed up in the playoffs (mostly...) Might be some emotion to that position, but, hey, what can you do?
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#84 » by Esq-4 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:24 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Grinditout wrote:Honestly, yes KP has health issues, but if you're keeping Toppin, might be the ideal scenario.

This right here. There's few bench PFs that can easily plug into the starting lineup and get 15 and 8.

Trade Randle for KP. Washington gets to continue whatever they are doing, we get a stretch 4 and can play 5 at times. If he needs to rest, Obi is good for 20-25 games a season.

The kryptonite is Thibs trying to squeeze 38 mins a game for KP.

There's the thing. Can you really play KP at the 4? I'm theory, I like the idea replacing Randle with a 4 who can slide to the 5 (and that Thibs will slide to the 5) so we see what Obi has with consistent minutes.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,451

Post#85 » by FrozenEnvelope » Thu May 18, 2023 1:29 pm

Keeping 25/10/5 regular season Randle + hoping he can redeem himself in the playoffs + waiting for better trade options > trading him for KP

56 of you need professional help!
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,536

Post#86 » by HopelessKnick » Thu May 18, 2023 2:04 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:Keeping 25/10/5 regular season Randle + hoping he can redeem himself in the playoffs + waiting for better trade options > trading him for KP

I agree, I don't see how getting KP back improves this team. Randle definitely has his weaknesses but overall he is a two time all-star and a solid player. We need some good return if we are to trade him....not just for the sake of trading him.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,481

Post#87 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 18, 2023 2:14 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:Keeping 25/10/5 regular season Randle + hoping he can redeem himself in the playoffs + waiting for better trade options > trading him for KP

im just glad some of these people here arent running the knicks. talking about trading him for cap space and garbage. must be fans of steve mills.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,451

Post#88 » by FrozenEnvelope » Thu May 18, 2023 2:18 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

im just glad some of these people here arent running the knicks. talking about trading him for cap space and garbage. must be fans of steve mills.

I think they are still angry about losing and disappointed in Randle's play and effort and that is understandable but it's purely out of emotion and they are not thinking rationally. To want to trade for a lesser player who makes more money and doesn't move the needle is stupid.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,180

Post#89 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu May 18, 2023 2:23 pm

KP really is not healthy, damn. Is he even gonna survive one of Bam's dirty screens?
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,481

Post#90 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 18, 2023 2:33 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

I think they are still angry about losing and disappointed in Randle's play and effort and that is understandable but it's purely out of emotion and they are not thinking rationally. To want to trade for a lesser player who makes more money and doesn't move the needle is stupid.

these the same people that wanted to build the knicks around frank and josh jackson so its not that suprising.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#91 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu May 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:kuzma is the whole wrong direction. like... just keep randle then.

Instead of trading for Kuzma, just trade Julius for whatever and start Obi.

Are we ever going to see if these Obi starting stats are legit? He has averaged 21/6/3 in 34 mpg with a 70% TS% in his 15 career starts (most of them wins) including 18/8 in his only starting playoff game against the Heat (we didnt lose that one because of him at all) and scoring 12 3rd quarter points against the Cavs in game 5 to end them after Julius got hurt. Has also averaged 18/7 per 36 min the last 2 seasons. All in a slow, iso heavy offense with little movement that clearly doesnt suit him and a very short leash.

Don’t understand people who wanna get dudes like Kuzma, Collins, Grant, etc when we havent even seen if our top 10 pick can hold it down. Obi can be a 17-20 ppg, 7-8 rpg, 3-4 apg guy with average shooting and defense. Not a star but a solid starter, same as those other guys. Julius’ raw numbers are better than that but that doesnt mean hes better for the team. Fans have just been conditioned to think of Obi as only a backup forever because of Thibs.

Randle for picks and a couple role players works for me.

Brunson/Deuce
Grimes/IQ
RJ/Hart
Obi/Role player
Mitch/iHart

A defensive PF would be nice role player. Take on a shorter bad contract to make the picks better. Move on. Addition by subtraction.

i'd be looking for a way to also bring in a wing star with that trade haul. but yeah, if you're doing the asset management thing and giving obi a shot, why not?

that said, i do think we win less games if we trade randle and don't replace his talent contributions directly somewhere else. it'd be an investment in the others at the cost of a step backward on winning. i think we should be looking to win AND open spots if we move randle.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
KNICKS007
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#92 » by KNICKS007 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:11 pm

Jeffrey wrote:If not KP.. then give me Brook Lopez and trade Mitch. You can't continue to trot out Randle and Mitch because Randle is not a reliable floor spacer (no one respects his shot) and Mitch can't play the end of games (yes I saw him in the playoffs but still a 50% FT shooter).

KP/Mitch
or
Randle/Lopez

Randle who was invited to the 3 point contest is not a floor spacer, what the HELL are you talking about.

How easy would it be to penetrate with out a paint clogging big man..

Bam never left the paint in the entire series because mitch and IHART didn't either..
KNICKS007
Sophomore

Post#93 » by KNICKS007 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:18 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:kuzma is the whole wrong direction. like... just keep randle then.

Instead of trading for Kuzma, just trade Julius for whatever and start Obi.

Are we ever going to see if these Obi starting stats are legit? He has averaged 21/6/3 in 34 mpg with a 70% TS% in his 15 career starts (most of them wins) including 18/8 in his only starting playoff game against the Heat (we didnt lose that one because of him at all) and scoring 12 3rd quarter points against the Cavs in game 5 to end them after Julius got hurt. Has also averaged 18/7 per 36 min the last 2 seasons. All in a slow, iso heavy offense with little movement that clearly doesnt suit him and a very short leash.

Don’t understand people who wanna get dudes like Kuzma, Collins, Grant, etc when we havent even seen if our top 10 pick can hold it down. Obi can be a 17-20 ppg, 7-8 rpg, 3-4 apg guy with average shooting and defense. Not a star but a solid starter, same as those other guys. Julius’ raw numbers are better than that but that doesnt mean hes better for the team. Fans have just been conditioned to think of Obi as only a backup forever because of Thibs.

Randle for picks and a couple role players works for me.

Brunson/Deuce
Grimes/IQ
RJ/Hart
Obi/Role player
Mitch/iHart

A defensive PF would be nice role player. Take on a shorter bad contract to make the picks better. Move on. Addition by subtraction.

So in your mind you want to tank with that line up and get the coach and president fired just to get rid of Randle.

I watched Tatum drop 30 through 3 quarters last night, in the forth he had zero pointS and 3 back breaking turnovers....,,Can you imagine if that happen in ny..TRADE TATUM ON EVERY KNICKS FORUM...
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,478

Post#94 » by RHODEY » Thu May 18, 2023 5:22 pm

KNICKS007 wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:If not KP.. then give me Brook Lopez and trade Mitch. You can't continue to trot out Randle and Mitch because Randle is not a reliable floor spacer (no one respects his shot) and Mitch can't play the end of games (yes I saw him in the playoffs but still a 50% FT shooter).

KP/Mitch
or
Randle/Lopez

Randle who was invited to the 3 point contest is not a floor spacer, .

And Carrie was invited to the Prom ....that didn't make her a home coming queen.
Spoiler:
KNICKS007
Sophomore

Post#95 » by KNICKS007 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:45 pm

RHODEY wrote:
KNICKS007 wrote:

KP/Mitch
or
Randle/Lopez

And Carrie was invited to Prom ....that didn't make her a home coming queen.
Spoiler:

She wasn't pressed, she just wanted to have fun.

Just like Randle
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,478

Post#96 » by RHODEY » Thu May 18, 2023 8:30 pm

KNICKS007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
KNICKS007 wrote:

And Carrie was invited to Prom ....that didn't make her a home coming queen.
Spoiler:

She wasn't pressed, she just wanted to have fun.

Just like Randle

Just like Randle she was the butt of the joke.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#97 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun May 21, 2023 3:09 pm

Esq-4 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:No

You're not gonna trade a legitimate allstar who plays 79 games a season for a player who plays 60. And that doesn't mean I don't want KP. I'm actually a huge supoorter of bringing him back but KP doesn't solve for replacement star player or upgraded star player.

KP solves for all those other players that could've stepped up. He solves for that C that half of you guys fawn over that cab hit a free throw and spread the floor. He solves for the things critics of Mitch want. And as a Mitch fan who feels he's underutilized KP actually solves for things I refuse to give up in the search to improve that position. Many fans will fix one problem and create a new one. So what I like about KP is he gives the critics that big who can create a little, can spread the floor, hit his FTs and you must defend, however his defense is right on par if not better than Mitch.

In fact I wonder for those who don't like Mitch why KP isn't the first name on the list. He checks every box we need from a C except for durability. And of course, I remember the drama of how he left, but if you could look past the drama, it could be a great move with Randle IN MIND. FOR a guy like Randle. Now he drives in, and the paint isn't conjested because KP is on the perimeter.

So for me a trade is more like Mitch, Toppin plus a first for KP

Brunson, Grimes,Barrett,Randle, KP

That's a pretty balanced lineup. I can't see a reason you WOULDNT wanna explore that other than some emotional response of simply not liking a players attitude or something like that

There is logic to swapping Mitch for KP from a NYK standpoint (although not necessarily from a WAS standpoint unless it's the best they can do.)

However, I still don't like RJ and Randle together. That is why I'd still look to move Randle. I'm choosing the younger one who showed up in the playoffs (mostly...) Might be some emotion to that position, but, hey, what can you do?

I'd say there's definitely emotion to it. RJ was perhaps our worst starter this season. He shot at 43% all year, often times taking more shots than points. He then followed that up with a lousy first two games vs the Cavs. What happened next was pretty awesome. Randle struggled and he stepped up for a few games. What people will forget is that his last two games vs Miami were subpar and over the course of the whole series do you know what his FG% was? Actually the playoffs I should say, ya know what his FG% was? It was 42%.

So even the very " showing up in the playoffs" attitude that everyone has, and myself included until I did some digging. Even that playoff run was somewhat of a farce. He didn't play so well if we're going by percentages and efficiency. In fact if Randle did the same thing we would've felt maybe alittle better from a box score standpoint but many would be pointing out how inefficient that was.

Ok ok nazr but that still doesn't account for RJ being younger. It's more acceptable for him cuz he's younger and makes far less money right? If you're rebuilding and wanna be in the lottery, sure. You always take the younger player. But the whole reason we're complaining is because apparently we expected to win. So age being the positive factor here is moot. We aren't in that grouping of teams where a 33 yr old who can play might be less desired than a 23 yr old who can't but might 5 yrs from now. Second, RJ is about to be paid. Starting next yr he's gonna make 24mil. You've lost all your argument about youth once said youth costs the same as established vets. Now he's a vet. Technically that is 100% true not just in feel but by definition. He'll be past his rookie deal. He'll be a vet. So there really should be no lesser expectation of RJ than with Julius.

So now with that said do you think and expect RJ to carry an entire team for an 82 game season, scouted by every opposing defense in the nba, fighting through double teams or against the other teams best defender? You can't possibly believe that. Now if we were talking about say.........Zion or Morant or even Anthony Edward's then sure. I could with a straight face say that upon acquiring any of those 3 players those guys can carry a team. And they'd probably lose no doubt but you could see it. Rj is a 3rd option whether we trade Julius or not. Julius can only be traded for another star. You couldn't do any sort of addition by subtraction trades unless one of the arriving players is better than RJ because RJ isn't even really the best player AFTER getting rid of Julius.

So my point is there can be many reasons to trade Julius. He's not untouchable for me. But please please please, do not make this a Julus Vs RJ battle because RJ isn't and won't be that dude.

In OPs original trade for KP, RJ would remain exactly where he is in terms of impact to this team and KP will step right into the role Randle left behind. Which is why I don't like it. I think KP is a 3rd option himself and RJ more of a 4rth. And that's why I'd rather trade Mirch, spare parts and picks for him
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#98 » by WargamesX » Mon May 22, 2023 2:08 pm

;ab_channel=L1xi

Honestly I would prefer they get IHart more 3pt opportunities
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,389

Post#99 » by Ray Williams » Mon May 22, 2023 2:09 pm

Prefer to trade him straight up for Miles Turner.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#100 » by N8isScofield » Mon May 22, 2023 3:58 pm

Probably and I hate KP but I hate Randle more.

Return to New York Knicks