ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Knicks Trades and Transactions - Rumors and Ideas

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Re: 2023-24 Knicks Trades and Transactions - Rumors and Ideas 

Post#1761 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:09 am

Wildcat wrote:
DowNY wrote:With Bob Myers gone, what about buying low on Jordan Poole?
Stack another asset if all it cost is Evan, Obi & some 2nds.
Warriors are screwed financially with this new CBA.

Sign a 4 to replace Obi with the MLE.
Re-sign Hart.

Wait for Giannis to ask out in another year.

I think Poole is trash. Low IQ player. Would look horrendous with other low IQ players (i.e., Randle).

I dont think he worth anything more than Knicks wing players. I wouldn't spend any asset on him.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1762 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:15 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
DowNY wrote:With Bob Myers gone, what about buying low on Jordan Poole?
Stack another asset if all it cost is Evan, Obi & some 2nds.
Warriors are screwed financially with this new CBA.

Sign a 4 to replace Obi with the MLE.
Re-sign Hart.

Wait for Giannis to ask out in another year.

I think Poole is trash. Low IQ player. Would look horrendous with other low IQ players (i.e., Randle).

I dont think he worth anything more than Knicks wing players. I wouldn't spend any asset on him.

I think he is a 20 pt scorer who defenses have to respect from outside and a proven championship caliber bench player….. who could he got for cheap.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,891

Post#1763 » by KnixinSix » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:35 am

Wildcat wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
Let's not compare 2020 to 2023. You can't look at the 2020 roster and think it's on par with today's roster. Fans have been begging for youth development and it's happening right before our eyes. There's no point in trying to make a splash in the off seasons with acquiring players if your existing players are trash. The FO has been a B+ in my book.

With that said, if they run it back, I am eyeing Grimes development and I want to see the consistency/mentality RJ had in the playoffs carry on. I'm not crazy about IQ, so he's like the 1st person on my mind I'd want to trade for an upgraded piece. I'm okay with DiVincenzo, but it's up to Thibbs to set him up for success. Thibbs needs to be more creative on offense. No reason why this team is at the bottom in terms of ball sharing. Also no point in having sharp shooters if you don't design plays to get them open shots.

I’m split down the middle. I think they might do nothing, but are open to deals if a team wants something it wouldn’t hurt for them to give up aka Toppin, Fournier, protected picks, etc. Begley was saying they were watching to see if teams were looking to shed talent for salary reasons. That too me seems like the best bet for a “big move”. I think they’ve manage to have a great salary cap for what they accomplished last season and it’s time to take advantage of a team that hasn’t.

Yep, and I agree with that. I and I'm sure the FO are eyeing teams like Washington, Toronto, Atlanta, Portland (to name a few) because these are teams that will very likely have a fire ale. OG, Siakam, KP, Collins, Ayton, are players who I think may be moved for the right deal.

I personally would prefer a frontcourt of KP and Siakam and hope RJ's playoff defense is the new norm. Then see what opens up for a backup PG (or hope for more development from Miles).

Unless RJs outside stroke drastically improves RJ and Siakam aren't the best fit together. Neither are very good 3 ball shooters. KP would partially offset that but still.

Look at what they have went after. We know they were pushing hard for Mitchell and we know they were in talks for Lavine. And thats after adding Brunson.

A guy with a pull up 3 and prolific outside game seems very important to them to add to the team dynamic. Its what Cohen was harpong on during his KFS video with Macri. It makes sense.

It seems to be Plan A for them. Now it doesn't mean they will be able to pull it off but I think they will try hard to go this route first.

KP can basically choose where he wants to go as he holds all the cards for a S&T so if we want him he would be pretty close to an 'easy' piece to acquire.

However I think they most of all want a elite offensive 2 (or if not then 3). If they can get both KP and that guy that would be a pretty special offseason.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#1764 » by Wildcat » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:11 am

WargamesX wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

I think he is a 20 pt scorer who defenses have to respect from outside and a proven championship caliber bench player….. who could he got for cheap.

Eddie Curry once won a ring. Let's be cautious who we label as "championship caliber." He's a product of the system. Take him out the system and you'll be never much unimpressed.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#1765 » by Wildcat » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:28 am

KnixinSix wrote:Unless RJs outside stroke drastically improves RJ and Siakam aren't the best fit together. Neither are very good 3 ball shooters. KP would partially offset that but still.

Look at what they have went after. We know they were pushing hard for Mitchell and we know they were in talks for Lavine. And thats after adding Brunson.

A guy with a pull up 3 and prolific outside game seems very important to them to add to the team dynamic. Its what Cohen was harpong on during his KFS video with Macri. It makes sense.

It seems to be Plan A for them. Now it doesn't mean they will be able to pull it off but I think they will try hard to go this route first.

KP can basically choose where he wants to go as he holds all the cards for a S&T so if we want him he would be pretty close to an 'easy' piece to acquire.

However I think they most of all want a elite offensive 2 (or if not then 3). If they can get both KP and that guy that would be a pretty special offseason.

I think RJ's 3 point shooting will be improved next season. I'm not worried about that shot. Siakam has a higher basketball IQ and more efficient. I have more confidence in him making it work with RJ then Randle. This isn't the first time a team has had 2 similarly operating players. Good players just make it work.

I'm not sleeping on Grimes. He doesn't need to be a 20+ scorer to be elite.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#1766 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:32 am

Wildcat wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:I dont think he worth anything more than Knicks wing players. I wouldn't spend any asset on him.

Eddie Curry once won a ring. Let's be cautious who we label as "championship caliber." He's a product of the system. Take him out the system and you'll be never much unimpressed.

I completely disagree. He has a faster than normal first step, enough handle (in both hands) to break down defenders at the perimeter and get to the spots he wants in the midrange for pull ups/floaters, he drives past the basket when attacking the rim which shows he isn’t scared of contact, and has enough range and speed to be a pull-up threat from a good three feet behind the 3pt line. He also has enough court vision that he can play combo guard and get assists while driving.

There’s something there talent wise. The main issue is everyone (including Kerr) looks at him then turns around and sees Curry and Klay and then instead of appreciating his game as a 23 year old combo guard compares him to those two HOF also on the roster. I do think he is overpaid but I also think he could get his efficiency and defense up enough not to be.

Also side note but the Knicks need to institute more perimeter screens in the offense. Not just for the open shots but to physically put some pressure/bumps on the defender. Randle probably won’t do it because he plays like a SF and should be screened for, but Mitch, Sims, and Hart definitely should. It’s another complaint about obi because while he isn’t a pull up threat he isn’t a good screener either…. :nonono:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,276

Post#1767 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:40 am

Wildcat wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:Unless RJs outside stroke drastically improves RJ and Siakam aren't the best fit together. Neither are very good 3 ball shooters. KP would partially offset that but still.

I think RJ's 3 point shooting will be improved next season. I'm not worried about that shot. Siakam has a higher basketball IQ and more efficient. I have more confidence in him making it work with RJ then Randle. This isn't the first time a team has had 2 similarly operating players. Good players just make it work.

Even though his last game of the playoffs was a stinker, prior to that RJ's three shot was working. The small adjustment to his release that brought the ball more to the side dramatically improved his shot.

I know people don't want to hear it, but he's still only 22. I think he'll shoot for good averages in time.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1768 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:41 am

WargamesX wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I completely disagree. He has a faster than normal first step, enough handle (in both hands) to break down defenders at the perimeter and get to the spots he wants in the midrange for pull ups/floaters, he drives past the basket when attacking the rim which shows he isn’t scared of contact, and has enough range and speed to be a pull-up threat from a good three feet behind the 3pt line. He also has enough court vision that he can play combo guard and get assists while driving.

There’s something there talent wise. The main issue is everyone (including Kerr) looks at him then turns around and sees Curry and Klay and then instead of appreciating his game as a 23 year old combo guard compares him to those two HOF also on the roster. I do think he is overpaid but I also think he could get his efficiency and defense up enough not to be.

Also side note but the Knicks need to institute more perimeter screens in the offense. Not just for the open shots but to physically put some pressure/bumps on the defender. Randle probably won’t do it because he plays like a SF and should be screened for, but Mitch, Sims, and Hart definitely should. It’s another complaint about obi because while he isn’t a pull up threat he isn’t a good screener either…. :nonono:

I don't think his talent is in dispute. It's his brain that's being questioned.
ImageImageImage
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#1769 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:49 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

I do think his talent was the topic. He was being called a system player. Like I said he has talent, just not the HOF talent he keeps being compared to.

As for brains some very fine Knicks were not big on brains but sure could shoot the heck out of the ball. :dontknow:
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#1770 » by KnixinSix » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:52 am

Wildcat wrote:

If RJ takes that next step you are absolutely right. I just don't think he will ever be an efficient scorer. He screams 42-43% career shooter to me. Would love to be wrong but I want at least one of Randle or RJ traded and ideally for better outside shooting.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#1771 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:56 am

WargamesX wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

Fans want a Jordan Poole on their team because of highlights.... until he is actually on their team and you realize how garbage he is as a player. The man is low IQ and got lucky to be on a winning franchise where they're able to cover for him. I would rather have IQ 10/10 times before I want Jordan Poole on the Knicks. He is zero defense and very low efficiency on offense.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#1772 » by KnixinSix » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:58 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

Even though his last game of the playoffs was a stinker, prior to that RJ's three shot was working. The small adjustment to his release that brought the ball more to the side dramatically improved his shot.

I know people don't want to hear it, but he's still only 22. I think he'll shoot for good averages in time.

Its absolutely possible however I am a bit skeptical (would love to be wrong) . Either way, I just don't like the Randle/RJ pairing for this offense and think one needs to go. For better or worse this team seems committed to Randle. So RJ probably goes....
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1773 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:59 am

WargamesX wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I do think his talent was the topic. He was being called a system player. Like I said he has talent, just not the HOF talent he keeps being compared to.

As for brains some very fine Knicks were not big on brains but sure could shoot the heck out of the ball. :dontknow:

Just saying cuz do we really want to add offense without brains? We literally are on the cusp of having a somewhat intelligent basketball team with the Brunson/Grimes backcourt. We don't have lots of brainiac players as it is. Why not tip the scales towards getting more players with a high hoops IQ? Just a thought
ImageImageImage
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#1774 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:05 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:I dont think he worth anything more than Knicks wing players. I wouldn't spend any asset on him.

Fans want a Jordan Poole on their team because of highlights.... until he is actually on their team and you realize how garbage he is as a player. The man is low IQ and got lucky to be on a winning franchise where they're able to cover for him. I would rather have IQ 10/10 times before I want Jordan Poole on the Knicks. He is zero defense and very low efficiency on offense.

Funny thing is it’s not an either or debate between IQ and Poole, they could probably get a deal done based around Fournier and protected picks (maybe sending Fournier to a third team for cap space). You could slot him right next to IQ and have the two of them go off on teams together in a very scary bench backcourt duo because they are both combo guards. :dontknow:

I watched him play a few games this regular season and I am not saying he isn’t flawed but even with the playoff regression, having watched him last season too, I still stand by my statement there is something there talent wise.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,100

Post#1775 » by sol537 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:23 am

There are winning players and losing players. Brunson and Grimes and Hart are examples of winning players.

Randle and Beal and Poole are examples of losing players. Stay away from losing players and we’ll be fine for a long time.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1776 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:45 am

KnixinSix wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

If RJ takes that next step you are absolutely right. I just don't think he will ever be an efficient scorer. He screams 42-43% career shooter to me. Would love to be wrong but I want at least one of Randle or RJ traded and ideally for better outside shooting.

Well, he did shoot 43.4% this year, so any improvement puts him right where he needs to be. And RJ can get to the line a whole lot and get many of his points every game from the free throw line. If he can become an 80% FT shooter he'll be fine. He increased this year to 74% vs. his career 70%.
ImageImageImage
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#1777 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 7, 2023 3:18 am

sol537 wrote:There are winning players and losing players. Brunson and Grimes and Hart are examples of winning players.

Randle and Beal and Poole are examples of losing players. Stay away from losing players and we’ll be fine for a long time.

The only person of all the people you named to win a NBA championship was Poole, and he was a key part of that run. :dontknow:

I honestly think it’s funny the last few pages have post saying trade Mitch and RJ for KP so we can pay him and hope he stays healthy, and it’s a fair debate. Meanwhile, I’m like trade Fournier and a Wizards pick for Poole and everyone is like nah he’s talented but he is “name the character flaw” so ignore the talent, the 20 pts a game average, or the fact he was better the season prior.

You can’t tell me the majority of people’s opinion of him isn’t being influenced by the media. :dontknow: I can’t think of a recent situation where everybody hated on a kid so much for just not being great…. Outside of RJ haters :lol:
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,100

Post#1778 » by sol537 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 3:35 am

WargamesX wrote:
sol537 wrote:There are winning players and losing players. Brunson and Grimes and Hart are examples of winning players.

The only person of all the people you named to win a NBA championship was Poole, and he was a key part of that run. :dontknow:

I honestly think it’s funny the last few pages have post saying trade Mitch and RJ for KP so we can pay him and hope he stays healthy, and it’s a fair debate. Meanwhile, I’m like trade Fournier and a Wizards pick for Poole and everyone is like nah he’s talented but he is “name the character flaw” so ignore the talent, the 20 pts a game average, or the fact he was better the season prior.

You can’t tell me the majority of people’s opinion of him isn’t being influenced by the media. :dontknow: I can’t think of a recent situation where everybody hated on a kid so much for just not being great…. Outside of RJ haters :lol:

Poole has a massive contract, plays no defense, makes low IQ plays and would be taking minutes away from our younger guys who happen to be 2-way players (Grimes, IQ)
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#1779 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:25 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:With all that said, he’s still much better.

Have to disagree there. Nurkic hasn't been a good player, in my opinion, in about 2 years.

Nurkic thing is long gone. JV is better at this point.

If Rockets sign J.Harden and considers to trade Sengun away, I think it would be a nice piece to add. Sengun can play with Randle too. Jokic-lite would add another layer to offense to couple Brunson's role.

I could live with him too :D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,671

Post#1780 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:46 am

spree2kawhi wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Have to disagree there. Nurkic hasn't been a good player, in my opinion, in about 2 years.

Nurkic thing is long gone. JV is better at this point.

If Rockets sign J.Harden and considers to trade Sengun away, I think it would be a nice piece to add. Sengun can play with Randle too. Jokic-lite would add another layer to offense to couple Brunson's role.

I could live with him too :D

Why in the world would the Rockets just give away Sengun?
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks