ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott Perry Appreciation (Was: GM Scott Perry NOT returning)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: GM Scott Perry NOT returning 

Post#61 » by WargamesX » Wed May 31, 2023 3:14 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
On the bolded, Mills was the one who was resistant to trading Mook. Mills got fired right before the trade deadline that year and Leon's first move was to trade Mook. I think that was more Leon coming in and demanding that happen than Perry pushing for that but I could be misremembering the timeline a bit.

If I remember correctly, the Knicks were very close to trading for D'Lo that deadline and I think actually had a trade in place while Dolan was secretly negotiating with Leon to take over. Mills was trying to save his job desperately :lol: . Once Dolan got word that this was happening he fired Mills before he could do more damage.

Gotta push back, the Morris trade happened 20 days before Leon officially took over. Marcus was traded on Feb 6th and Leon took over on Feb 26th. It was in the gap between Mill annd Leon and arguably is the one thing that can clearly be attributed to Perry. Before we heard about the D’lo rumor, we also heard there was internal conflict about trading Morris with Perry pushing to do it but like you said Mills wanting to keep his job and move picks to add D’lo.

Good call coming with the facts and dates. Didn't realize the gap was that long between Mills and Leon.

No problem, I just intensely remember that time because of how bad the team was and how stupid them not trading Morris was to me. To me that trade marks the beginning of the Knicks getting their act together. The D’lo rumors were 100% in line with what the Knicks would have traditionally had done prior.

Like I get Perry isn’t much liked here because he wasn’t perfect but to his credit he helped them Get right and I wish him luck on his future endeavors.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#62 » by DrCoach » Wed May 31, 2023 3:34 pm

WargamesX wrote:Perry did some solid things here

Brought in Randle as a FA
Pushed Mills into trading Morris to the pick that became Quickley
Drafted RJ
Drafted Robinson

I honestly think he had a solid run here and it won’t be long before he is hired elsewhere. People might be annoyed but he contributed to this team.

He was solid
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,231

Post#63 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed May 31, 2023 3:46 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:Perry did some solid things here

Brought in Randle as a FA
Pushed Mills into trading Morris to the pick that became Quickley
Drafted RJ
Drafted Robinson

I honestly think he had a solid run here and it won’t be long before he is hired elsewhere. People might be annoyed but he contributed to this team.

On the bolded, Mills was the one who was resistant to trading Mook. Mills got fired right before the trade deadline that year and Leon's first move was to trade Mook. I think that was more Leon coming in and demanding that happen than Perry pushing for that but I could be misremembering the timeline a bit.

If I remember correctly, the Knicks were very close to trading for D'Lo that deadline and I think actually had a trade in place while Dolan was secretly negotiating with Leon to take over. Mills was trying to save his job desperately :lol: . Once Dolan got word that this was happening he fired Mills before he could do more damage.

Gotta push back, the Morris trade happened 20 days before Leon officially took over. Marcus was traded on Feb 6th and Leon took over on Feb 26th. It was in the gap between Mill annd Leon and arguably is the one thing that can clearly be attributed to Perry. Before we heard about the D’lo rumor, we also heard there was internal conflict about trading Morris with Perry pushing to do it but like you said Mills wanting to keep his job and move picks to add D’lo.

I am sure Rose was already in place by then and gave the order. But credit due to Perry for the deal.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,608

Post#64 » by Gravy » Wed May 31, 2023 3:50 pm

Shouldn't yall be praising him for being the only GM in Knicks history to do a full season tank. When Pop drafts pervs and tanks and gets the #1 pick he's a genius, when we tank we move down and people get fired and called idiots.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#65 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm

He did a good job with the Melo trade. What most considered a throw in turned into Mitch.

That’s about all the nice things I have to say about this dude.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,289

Post#66 » by thebuzzardman » Wed May 31, 2023 5:46 pm

My favorite Perry moves:

Drafting Knox
Mudiay
Elf
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#67 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed May 31, 2023 5:53 pm

Gravy wrote:Shouldn't yall be praising him for being the only GM in Knicks history to do a full season tank. When Pop drafts pervs and tanks and gets the #1 pick he's a genius, when we tank we move down and people get fired and called idiots.

That's like Pro Wresting...when the heels do 2 on 1 it's teamwork...when the heroes do 2 on 1 it's double teaming...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#68 » by Jose7 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:55 pm

DaGawd wrote:thibs is the gm/coach now

yep..

franchise is a waste of time
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#69 » by Juco24 » Wed May 31, 2023 6:20 pm

He was better than Millstupid, Laydumb and Isaiah. Maybe that's not saying much, but when you've gone through life as a Knicks fan for the past 20+ years... it speaks volumes
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#70 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 pm

RIP Lord Treadmill
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#71 » by GEOLINK » Wed May 31, 2023 10:55 pm

The Steve Mills era is officially over.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#72 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:04 pm

Gravy wrote:Shouldn't yall be praising him for being the only GM in Knicks history to do a full season tank. When Pop drafts pervs and tanks and gets the #1 pick he's a genius, when we tank we move down and people get fired and called idiots.

I accept your premise if it goes both ways - I could hold him accountable for not tanking in 2018 when the top of the draft was beyond loaded
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,372

Post#73 » by Zenzibar » Wed May 31, 2023 11:13 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

wonder where the knicks go for the open GM job.

Nothing Rose has done isn't without a plan or backup already in play.
Take last year as an example. It was a lost year for many reasons but the contingency was acquire additional picks for a play for both Brunson and DM.
That didn't work for the betterment of the collective team and went to the next plan.
And they ran it back.
IMO, the Scott Perry departure is an offer somewhere for Perry to get a much deserved Pres. of Operations or more opportunity .
I see a good term departure because Leon knew long in advance and helped it along I'm sure.
That Bob Myers' availabilty is coincidence? Haha, who knows.
Stop All Genocides
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,979

Post#74 » by Capn'O » Wed May 31, 2023 11:28 pm

Zenzibar wrote:IMO, the Scott Perry departure is an offer somewhere for Perry to get a much deserved Pres. of Operations or more opportunity. I see a good term departure because Leon knew long in advance and helped it along I'm sure.

I imagine it was on good terms as well. It would be wild if he ended up in GS.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,813

Post#75 » by Adelheid » Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 pm

they have kirk lacob and mike dunleavy jr there to replace Myers
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#76 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:09 am

That’s fair but just don’t hire the consultant
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#77 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:13 am

Gotta respect Perry for helping us keep our draft picks etc. 1 year deal teams sucks but he was solid building our draft stock.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,608

Post#78 » by Gravy » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:43 am

dakomish23 wrote:

I accept your premise if it goes both ways - I could hold him accountable for not tanking in 2018 when the top of the draft was beyond loaded

They were supposed to be tanking that year, the roster was terrible but KP had an allstar year and carried them the first half. Its like what happened with Ainge and the Jazz this season.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,372

Post#79 » by Zenzibar » Thu Jun 1, 2023 1:25 am

Capn'O wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:IMO, the Scott Perry departure is an offer somewhere for Perry to get a much deserved Pres. of Operations or more opportunity. I see a good term departure because Leon knew long in advance and helped it along I'm sure.

I imagine it was on good terms as well. It would be wild if he ended up in GS.

It would be perfect haha!

Seriously, I view Scott Perry with like a founding fathers of this young team. He put a hold to Steve Mills from trading 1st round picks away so when Phil got here he had 1st rounders to **** up. Lol
Still, Perry refused to part with #1s .
Salute for starting the young team theme and sticking to it.
11 #1s in 7 years!
Stop All Genocides
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,289

Re: Scott Perry Appreciation thread 

Post#80 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:16 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Image

Brilliant!

Return to New York Knicks