ImageImageImageImageImage

Who playing right now is an all time great, not counting end of career players

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,974

Re: Who playing right now is an all time great, not counting end of career players 

Post#81 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:26 pm

aggo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Speaking of Dirk - he's a guy whose teams likely handicap him of a higher rating. When you look at his two finals teams there really wasn't that much help there. Could've been squarely in the 10-15 range instead of 15-25.

I think Dirk is still underrated.

And you're right. He had good supporting casts but not great ones.

His ring is worth at least two in my eyes. And that series in 2006 could've gone either way, although he did have a hand in the misery.

Dirk has the most underrated ring ever.

his next best player was Jason Terry. His other guys were an over the hill Marion and Kidd.

he beat prime lebron-wade-bosh

its insane.

His 2006 finals runner up cast was fairly weak too. Josh Howard or Terry would be the #2.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,514

Re: Who playing right now is an all time great, not counting end of career players 

Post#82 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Jun 2, 2023 9:06 pm

Capn'O wrote:
aggo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:I think Dirk is still underrated.

And you're right. He had good supporting casts but not great ones.

His ring is worth at least two in my eyes. And that series in 2006 could've gone either way, although he did have a hand in the misery.

his next best player was Jason Terry. His other guys were an over the hill Marion and Kidd.

its insane.

His 2006 finals runner up cast was fairly weak too. Josh Howard or Terry would be the #2.

Jason Terry was really, really good though. But you're right, by most championship team standards, or even this Nuggets team, his casts from 2006 to 2011 were fairly weak. But he did have talent around him. Terry, Harris, Howard, Stackhouse as your 6th man - that was a nice rotation of perimeter guys. Chandler, Terry, Kidd, Marion, these guys could really play and deliver within their roles. But it doesn't compare to the help that some other all-time greats were able to enjoy.

I think it's fair to ask the question both ways: how many chips does Dirk have if he plays with Wade, Bosh, Battier and them, or with Klay, Draymond, Iggy and them, or with McHale, Dennis Johnson, Robert Parrish and them? Similarly, how many chips does he have if he plays with the likes of Wally Szczerbiak, Troy Hudson, and Ricky Davis for the vast majority of his prime?

One misconception about Dirk that annoys me for some reason is the notion that he was not athletic. In his younger years, he was a freak - one of the most athletic 7-footers in the league. The quickness and fluidity at that size were absolutely insane.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,974

Post#83 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 2, 2023 9:12 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
aggo wrote:

its insane.

Jason Terry was really, really good though. But by most championship team standards, or even this Nuggets team, his casts from 2006 to 2011 were fairly weak. But he did have talent around him. Terry, Harris, Howard, Stackhouse as your 6th man - that was a nice rotation of perimeter guys. Chandler, Terry, Kidd, Marion, these guys could really play and deliver within their roles. But it doesn't compare to the help that some other all-time greats were able to enjoy.

I think it's fair to ask the question both ways: how many chips does Dirk have if he plays with Wade, Bosh, Battier and them, or with Klay, Draymond, Iggy and them, or with McHale, Dennis Johnson, Robert Parrish and them? Similarly, how many chips does he have if he plays with the likes of Wally Szczerbiak, Troy Hudson, and Ricky Davis for the vast majority of his prime?

One misconception about Dirk that annoys me for some reason is the notion that he was not athletic. In his younger years, he was a freak - one of the most athletic 7-footers in the league. The quickness and fluidity at that size were absolutely insane.

Yeah, those Wolves teams were awful. Terrell Brandon was a nice player but oft injured.

I don't do a lot of what iffing about Nash because I don't think you could run a championship defense with those two. Maybe if Mike D coached. A guy like Billups next to Dirk though? Sheesh... Dirk had athleticism the way Bird did. Or Kawhi. An incredibly fluid, coordinated guy with a nose for the ball. His balance, of course, was one of a kind.

Read on Twitter

Dirk: Yes.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#84 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 2:12 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:I rank Dirk and Hakeem ahead of KG because they were better offensive engines but KG's a tier-2 all-time great. Chris Bosh? Come on.

KG made my blood boil more than maybe any other player in the NBA but I would argue that no all-time great suffered worse non-injury circumstances than him. The Timberwolves were flat-out incompetent, from the Ray Allen-Marbury trade, to the Joe Smith trade which cost them 4 first-round picks I believe, to them letting Billups walk for nothing right as he was entering his prime. KG led Minnesota to the WCF with the only good team he ever had in Minnesota (and that team was FAR from a superteam) and even then that team was plagued by injuries in the postseason.

Dirk never played with another all-time great besides pre-prime Nash and his championship runs were incredible but he always had some talent and depth around him in Dallas.

And I'm not sure how winning with two other HOFers can be somehow held against KG when LeBron won with Wade and Bosh, Bird won with McHale and Parrish, Magic with Kareem and Worthy, Curry with Klay and Draymond etc.

But again circumstances contribute to shaping a lot of these legacies, and it's clear that this is not an even playing field in this aspect.

KG is one of the greatest defenders in the history of the NBA, and - though not a dominant scorer like Dirk or Hakeem - he was one of the most versatile and well-rounded offensive bigs in the modern era to boot. His on/off numbers were absolutely outrageous because of his two-way impact, which was overwhelming, but just not enough to overcome comically bad roster construction. To compare him to Chris Bosh is just not reasonable imo.

Again my point stands, KG does not belong to same tier with Hakeem. There is miles of difference between two. Hakeem won titles as #1 option. His game was so much more dominant. He was the best big men in his time. That is dominance.
KG was not even able to win his matchups in his conference. Duncan, Dirk and Shaq were easily better players than him. I dont think KG was clear winner of matchups against C.Webber, Pau Gasol either.

Curry winning multiple rings with Klay-Draymond is not the same thing of KG ring-chasing with 3 HOFers. After all he only have one ring too. If Lebron only won a title with that Miami Heat team, he would have much worse reputation.

KG had the image, PR for him. I know he has good amount of fans. But lets be honest, he wasn't even a top 3 big men in his conference. Duncan-Shaq-Dirk... All-schooled KG and his so-called great defense. On offense all three were reliable offensive juggernauts and KG was not at that level. Flashy blocks and dunks should not make him tier 2. I am not sure about Wade being tier 2 either. Being unlucky in terms of injury cannot be involved in the discussion. D.Rose, B.Roy, T-Mac/Yao and even G.Oden can make top tiers if we try to create a fictional world.

With your comment on Wade arguably being below tier 2, I suspect this is really about Dirk and the Mavs, and not about a balanced discussion about the all-time greats.

Wade demolished your team in one of the greatest individual Finals performances in the history of the NBA, while Dirk shrunk in his first Finals appearance. I'd be mad too, no doubt. But Wade is an all-time great, same as Dirk.

Anyway - yes, Dirk more often than not won that matchup against Garnett. This doesn't mean Garnett wasn't an all-time great. Dirk also consistently had better teams around him, until Garnett went to Boston at age 31. Garnett had to deal with generational FO ineptitude in Minnesota.

Somehow, the comparison to other players never accounts for his defensive impact, which was massive. Pau Gasol? Garnett destroyed him in the 2008 Finals. Webber? C-Webb was coming back from a major injury in the one series they played. Garnett completely dominated that matchup, since you brought him up. And I don't hold that against Webber, who was on the decline.

Your paragraph on injuries is besides the point. I'm not talking about a what if. I pointed out how Garnett reached the WCF with the only good/decent team he had in Minnesota, and even then his team was plagued by injuries in the playoffs that one year. Some players are just more lucky than others when it comes to external circumstances. Garnett was on the extreme low end of that spectrum until he went to Boston. To pretend that this had no impact on the outcome would be simply delusional or flagrantly simplistic.

Also, Garnett was traded to Boston. By all accounts (Saunders, Billups, etc.), he actually wanted to stay in Minnesota, and only expressed that he wanted to end up in a winning situation since Minnesota communicated to him that they were looking to rebuild, possibly without him. He didn't force his way out. And who cares anyway, even if he had asked out, he was entitled to want to play with other great players. The other 2 hadn't won before either, so this was not a Kevin Durant situation.

The LeBron point is not particularly pertinent because LeBron and Garnett are not a 1:1 comparison to begin with since LeBron is tier 1, also because the supporting casts were different, also because the coaches were different (Spo vs Doc), and also because KG had to undergo knee surgery at 33 and missed the 2009 playoffs after the Celtics won 62 RS games. Would LeBron's stint in Miami have all of a sudden been a failure that he was responsible for if he had missed the 2013 playoffs because of knee surgery? Or would that have been a mitigating circumstance?

I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude, but it doesn't seem that you have any interest in factoring in circumstances or having a balanced view because it doesn't fit your pro-Dirk crusade - which let's be honest is really the agenda at play here. KG refuses to give Dirk his respect, and that's annoying, but that's life.

Sorry but you cannot argue about the argument at all. You're going far away to find sth for yourself. It sounds like a desperate attempt. I am not a Dirk fan; I was not even a Mavs fan or sth. Just a bandwagon for Luka. All of your writing has this funny prejudice of me being Dirk fan :lol:

The point is KG was not even a top 3 big men in his conference. Duncan-Dirk-Shaq **** him easily. I was not pointing out to any playoff series when I was referring to Webber and Gasol. I am trying to say that if you're early 2000s Kings fan you dont worry that Garnett to dominate the game.
If you have Shaq, Duncan or Dirk you now you'll beat Garnett. Hakeem was not like that. Hakeem was great on both ends and he was winning most of the matchups. He was a force. If Hakeem is tier 2, then Garnett is tier 3. I am not saying Garnett is trash here. This is about comparison. KG has highly overrated image on some people. He was not reliable on offense for playoff game as #1 option. His defense was nice for highlight videos but Dirk-Duncan-Shaq did not lose sleep over him.

You give example of other stars teaming up too. And I said we would consider that for other stars as well. Like if Lebron only won with Miami then everybody would regard him lower than his perception today. KG only won when he teamed up with 3 HOFers and Rondo. That was the argument. There were no Lebron-KG comparisons like you somehow derived from the conversation.

Wade's title is one of the most suspicious one in 2000s. The amount of bull calls that Wade got in that series was ridiculous. It was a ref job big time. Even if it was not, that does not mean Wade is a tier 2 for his single run with Shaq. Wade did not put significant stats to be tier 2. But this is debatable. So I'm fine with your take.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,514

Post#85 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 3, 2023 2:10 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Again my point stands, KG does not belong to same tier with Hakeem. There is miles of difference between two. Hakeem won titles as #1 option. His game was so much more dominant. He was the best big men in his time. That is dominance.
KG was not even able to win his matchups in his conference. Duncan, Dirk and Shaq were easily better players than him. I dont think KG was clear winner of matchups against C.Webber, Pau Gasol either.

Curry winning multiple rings with Klay-Draymond is not the same thing of KG ring-chasing with 3 HOFers. After all he only have one ring too. If Lebron only won a title with that Miami Heat team, he would have much worse reputation.

KG had the image, PR for him. I know he has good amount of fans. But lets be honest, he wasn't even a top 3 big men in his conference. Duncan-Shaq-Dirk... All-schooled KG and his so-called great defense. On offense all three were reliable offensive juggernauts and KG was not at that level. Flashy blocks and dunks should not make him tier 2. I am not sure about Wade being tier 2 either. Being unlucky in terms of injury cannot be involved in the discussion. D.Rose, B.Roy, T-Mac/Yao and even G.Oden can make top tiers if we try to create a fictional world.

With your comment on Wade arguably being below tier 2, I suspect this is really about Dirk and the Mavs, and not about a balanced discussion about the all-time greats.

Wade demolished your team in one of the greatest individual Finals performances in the history of the NBA, while Dirk shrunk in his first Finals appearance. I'd be mad too, no doubt. But Wade is an all-time great, same as Dirk.

Anyway - yes, Dirk more often than not won that matchup against Garnett. This doesn't mean Garnett wasn't an all-time great. Dirk also consistently had better teams around him, until Garnett went to Boston at age 31. Garnett had to deal with generational FO ineptitude in Minnesota.

Somehow, the comparison to other players never accounts for his defensive impact, which was massive. Pau Gasol? Garnett destroyed him in the 2008 Finals. Webber? C-Webb was coming back from a major injury in the one series they played. Garnett completely dominated that matchup, since you brought him up. And I don't hold that against Webber, who was on the decline.

Your paragraph on injuries is besides the point. I'm not talking about a what if. I pointed out how Garnett reached the WCF with the only good/decent team he had in Minnesota, and even then his team was plagued by injuries in the playoffs that one year. Some players are just more lucky than others when it comes to external circumstances. Garnett was on the extreme low end of that spectrum until he went to Boston. To pretend that this had no impact on the outcome would be simply delusional or flagrantly simplistic.

Also, Garnett was traded to Boston. By all accounts (Saunders, Billups, etc.), he actually wanted to stay in Minnesota, and only expressed that he wanted to end up in a winning situation since Minnesota communicated to him that they were looking to rebuild, possibly without him. He didn't force his way out. And who cares anyway, even if he had asked out, he was entitled to want to play with other great players. The other 2 hadn't won before either, so this was not a Kevin Durant situation.

The LeBron point is not particularly pertinent because LeBron and Garnett are not a 1:1 comparison to begin with since LeBron is tier 1, also because the supporting casts were different, also because the coaches were different (Spo vs Doc), and also because KG had to undergo knee surgery at 33 and missed the 2009 playoffs after the Celtics won 62 RS games. Would LeBron's stint in Miami have all of a sudden been a failure that he was responsible for if he had missed the 2013 playoffs because of knee surgery? Or would that have been a mitigating circumstance?

I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude, but it doesn't seem that you have any interest in factoring in circumstances or having a balanced view because it doesn't fit your pro-Dirk crusade - which let's be honest is really the agenda at play here. KG refuses to give Dirk his respect, and that's annoying, but that's life.

Sorry but you cannot argue about the argument at all. You're going far away to find sth for yourself. It sounds like a desperate attempt. I am not a Dirk fan; I was not even a Mavs fan or sth. Just a bandwagon for Luka. All of your writing has this funny prejudice of me being Dirk fan :lol:

The point is KG was not even a top 3 big men in his conference. Duncan-Dirk-Shaq **** him easily. I was not pointing out to any playoff series when I was referring to Webber and Gasol. I am trying to say that if you're early 2000s Kings fan you dont worry that Garnett to dominate the game.
If you have Shaq, Duncan or Dirk you now you'll beat Garnett. Hakeem was not like that. Hakeem was great on both ends and he was winning most of the matchups. He was a force. If Hakeem is tier 2, then Garnett is tier 3. I am not saying Garnett is trash here. This is about comparison. KG has highly overrated image on some people. He was not reliable on offense for playoff game as #1 option. His defense was nice for highlight videos but Dirk-Duncan-Shaq did not lose sleep over him.

You give example of other stars teaming up too. And I said we would consider that for other stars as well. Like if Lebron only won with Miami then everybody would regard him lower than his perception today. KG only won when he teamed up with 3 HOFers and Rondo. That was the argument. There were no Lebron-KG comparisons like you somehow derived from the conversation.

Wade's title is one of the most suspicious one in 2000s. The amount of bull calls that Wade got in that series was ridiculous. It was a ref job big time. Even if it was not, that does not mean Wade is a tier 2 for his single run with Shaq. Wade did not put significant stats to be tier 2. But this is debatable. So I'm fine with your take.

Well maybe Kings fans should have been worried because Garnett had one of the best game 7 performances against them in the WCSF:

But again you're overlooking circumstances (and the defense).

Is it that Duncan, Dirk and Shaq didn't worry about KG? Or could it be that that Duncan with Parker and Ginobili, Dirk with Finley and Nash and then Terry and solid depth, or Shaq with Kobe and great role players, didn't really have to worry about KG and Trenton Hassell and Wally Sczerbiak and no depth at all (outside of 2004)?

The guys you mentioned, two of which won 4 and 5 rings and belong in a different tier anyway, had a lot more help than Garnett.

Also I didn't say you compared KG to LeBron. But I mentioned a point you made using LeBron (whereby LeBron hypothetically winning only one ring in Miami would have hurt his legacy). If he had only won one in Miami with the same circumstances, sure, you're right, his legacy would rightly be affected. But would a career-altering knee injury after his first championship like the one KG suffered in 2009 make him a lesser player if he hadn't been available to play in the 2013 playoffs? Would this be a mitigating circumstance for LeBron and not for Garnett, since the implication from your comment used the fact Garnett only won one as evidence that he wasn't that great? Do you assess that a major injury wouldn't have significantly affected the outcome (for Garnett and hypthetically for LeBron) upon which your premise is based? I'm just asking you, these are open questions.

I personally still wonder how injuries should be viewed in retrospect, especially for great players who did win (e.g., Walton), not the Roys and the McGradys. I lean towards non-contact injuries being more immuable and inherently part of a player's journey, which is why I focus more on Minnesota's FO incompetence than Garnett's injury in 2009.

Also Garnett didn't join 3 HOFers, he was one of those 3 :lol: Come on bro you're reaching on too many fronts :lol:

Even if we assume that your theory about the officiating in the 2006 Finals is true, why would these external circumstances now be taken into account to penalize Wade, yet these external circumstances aren't taken into account for Garnett (mainly the lack of help due to FO incompetence in Minny, to a lesser degree the injury in Boston)? Or are you just selectively using these circumstances when you want to elevate or diminish a player? Sorry, just challenging your argument.

I don't really care about Garnett being tier 2 or tier 3 or tier 29. He can go to hell for what he did to Melo anyway. And you're entitled to put him anywhere you want to. I just don't think your arguments are really fair, because they completely ignore circumstances.

A healthy Garnett played on two good/great teams and he reached the WCF (by which point the team was plagued by injuries) and won a championship with them, respectively.

His rosters were largely awful all these other years, and then he had knee surgery at 33 after his first title. I'm not saying that there's any guarantee he would have won X number of championships with better circumstances. But to hold it against him that he only won one considering the circumstances that he had to play through just seems a bit unfair to me.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#86 » by WargamesX » Sat Jun 3, 2023 2:53 pm

Giannis
Jokic
Butler
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#87 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:19 pm

WargamesX wrote:Giannis
Jokic
Butler

Butler? That's like letting Andrian Dantley into the Pantheon of Greatness alongside Jordan, Magic etc
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#88 » by dakomish23 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:33 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:When you say all time great do you mean top 100 level or top 25 level

Top 25

Possibly even top 20 or even 15.

I think Dot has stricter standards, but I'm thinking truly all time is like top 20, now that the league has been going a long time.

So, NBA, in 1996, did the first "50 greatest" players
https://www.nba.com/history/nba-at-50/top-50-players

That's 30 years ago, basically

I suppose there are multiple ways to parse this
That was 50 players for 50 years. 10 great players come along a decade? Anyway, if no one is dropped, the list should be at 80, for "greats", but I think 100 is fine, because there are enough guys who got left off the initial list etc, that it wouldn't be too hard to get to "100 greatest players all time"

For this exercise, I was thinking all time great, and always keeping it to "Top 10 players all time" always feels too limited, other than people just want to stack the best 10, so I expand it in my mind to 15 or 20, but without trying to populate either list. Just feels like there are more than 10 "all time players"

Once we expand the list to someone who can make top 80 or 100, then it's easier to include Luka and Tatum in the under 30 crowd, plus probably others.

Ok. Then I don’t think there’s a single person under 30 who would even crack my top 50 except for jokic maybe Embiid if he breaks through.

All time greats have a level of dominance that a lot of the top stars in todays NBA haven’t shown outside those two bigs IMO.

jokic I’m not surprised by. He broke through after losing in the conference finals in the bubble. Went from great to greatness. He simply realized no one out there was gonna stop him.

As always this is subjective.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#89 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:41 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:When you say all time great do you mean top 100 level or top 25 level

Top 25

I think Dot has stricter standards, but I'm thinking truly all time is like top 20, now that the league has been going a long time.

That was 50 players for 50 years. 10 great players come along a decade? Anyway, if no one is dropped, the list should be at 80, for "greats", but I think 100 is fine, because there are enough guys who got left off the initial list etc, that it wouldn't be too hard to get to "100 greatest players all time"

For this exercise, I was thinking all time great, and always keeping it to "Top 10 players all time" always feels too limited, other than people just want to stack the best 10, so I expand it in my mind to 15 or 20, but without trying to populate either list. Just feels like there are more than 10 "all time players"

Once we expand the list to someone who can make top 80 or 100, then it's easier to include Luka and Tatum in the under 30 crowd, plus probably others.

Ok. Then I don’t think there’s a single person under 30 who would even crack my top 50 except for jokic maybe Embiid if he breaks through.

All time greats have a level of dominance that a lot of the top stars in todays NBA haven’t shown outside those two bigs IMO.

jokic I’m not surprised by. He broke through after losing in the conference finals in the bubble. Went from great to greatness. He simply realized no one out there was gonna stop him.

Jokic is easily on his way to top 50. Or we can push up the list to top 70, since there are two decades since the list got created.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,723

Post#90 » by aggo » Sun Jun 4, 2023 7:34 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Top 25

Jokic is easily on his way to top 50. Or we can push up the list to top 70, since there are two decades since the list got created.

Some people already consider Jokic to be the best passer ever that has played. he's already top 50, easily.

Embiid, tatum, I mean, they are caught in the slog of players ranked 50-100. there's going to be a lot of people that will revise down these offensive numbers put up today, and I dont think Embiid's current trajectory is better than Ewing's career for instance. And most people have Ewing ranked top 30 and top 10 all-time in Centers.

Tatum? bitch please

we have so many wings i guess the real question is comparative things like:

where does Carmelo Anthony rank? because Tatum is ranked higher than that.
where does KD rank? Tatum is definitely ranked much much lower than that.

Return to New York Knicks