ImageImageImageImageImage

Can we get a 2nd lotto pick?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

JAX
Veteran
And1: 0

Can we get a 2nd lotto pick? 

Post#1 » by JAX » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:10 pm

I really would like a 2nd lotto pick, ideally get DeAndre and Rose. But the only guy i think could net us one is Curry, despite everything he is still a 25 y/o low post scorer that if traded to the right team and used right could do very well.
The only teams w/ high lotto picks that might take him or that I could see willing to move a pick are:

MEM-have some defensive bigs, good young pg used to playing with a talented big man, shooters, and all around star to take pressure off him
MIL-have Yi and Bogut, but neither are low post threats, and have shooter to compliment with
CHI-no front court scoring, good defensive energy guys to surround him with

Curry and Morris for Gadz CV pick

why?
NY:
ship out Curry and get a pick. Gadz at least brings shot blocking off the bench. CV I would use for another trade either now or in the off season, or insurance as a back up PF if Lee ends up going in a package, I would rather keep Lee and move CV too, just saying. And again we get a 2nd lotto pick.

MIL:
As i started typing i realized that they have there PF/C in Yi and Bogut, but figured I would make the post anyway, maybe they still make the trade and sort it out later for themselves. What they get in Curry is a talented inside scorer who opens up Redd and Williams and Yi too to bang shots from the outside. Gadz is a bad contract for them and CV i think they are not in favor of any more. I would even consider doing it for Voshkul instead of CV and take out Morris. Basically just want a lotto pick for Curry.

Curry Rose for Swift Stoudemire Cardinal pick
why?
NY:
move Curry and get a pick back. Swift and Mouse both have short contracts. Cardinal has a shorter contract.

MEM:
frees them even more to move Pau to another team, maybe even Chi and get there pick back (or make it a 3 way). Curry would fit well with there current make up.

Curry for Smith Duhon pick (or maybe instead Noah or TT, basically undo the original trade--guess we would have to throw in Chandler)
why?
NY:
same reasons

CHI: as stated above need a low post scorer, they keep Wallace too
Yoshi2kx
Senior
And1: 5

Post#2 » by Yoshi2kx » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:24 pm

You aren't getting Memphis' or Milwaukee's picks for Eddy freaking Curry.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#3 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:27 pm

Why not go for 3 lotto picks?

Curry + Crawford + Balkman for Swift, Cardinal, Damon and first

Randolph + Jones+ Damon(from last trade) to SAC for Kenny, SAR, Miller and first

Send Dallas Kenny and James for Dampier(to make roster space)

Send Jeffries and Lee for aK47(more space)

fun? yes
practical?
anywhere near possible? doubtful

teams do not like to part with lotto picks, too little reward for too high a risk
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#4 » by jax98 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:51 pm

Hey guys. Outsider looking in.

I think your best chance to recieve a chance at another lottery pick is by adding David Lee to the trade block. There are so many teams in this league who could use a guy like him. Good defense, excellent rebounding and high percentage shots. Wilson Chandler + David Lee is a package I believe a lot of teams will deal their 2008 first-rounder for. IMO, the Kings also want to trade Ron Artest since he can bolt for nothing. They'd like to get some kind of return for him.

David Lee, Wilson Chandler & Jared Jeffries for Ron Artest, 08 1st rounder and a roster filler should be a package the Kings would agree to. If not, they will be losing out and recieve nothing from Artest.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,768

Post#5 » by spree8 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:54 am

Morten Jensen wrote:Hey guys. Outsider looking in.

I think your best chance to recieve a chance at another lottery pick is by adding David Lee to the trade block. There are so many teams in this league who could use a guy like him. Good defense, excellent rebounding and high percentage shots. Wilson Chandler + David Lee is a package I believe a lot of teams will deal their 2008 first-rounder for. IMO, the Kings also want to trade Ron Artest since he can bolt for nothing. They'd like to get some kind of return for him.

David Lee, Wilson Chandler & Jared Jeffries for Ron Artest, 08 1st rounder and a roster filler should be a package the Kings would agree to. If not, they will be losing out and recieve nothing from Artest.

That's a scary thought because I can see something like that happening. I really don't think it's a good idea to trade Lee. We've talked about how good he would be on other teams with the right system and pg so if we can get a guy like D. Rose and play the way this team is built for, (without Curry) Lee would thrive. Therefore we are getting the best out of Lee which is talent on a lotto player level without having to give up a fan favorite and take a gamble on a different player that might not pan out.
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#6 » by Smoke24 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:05 am

No, We can't trade Lee, He's one of the few on this team with Heart and when given the time, hes a double double machine and there aren't many of those in the nba. Whats with trading potential players away in like every trade post, let our players develop and go from there, you all see what happens when we trade picks for someone, they turn out to be Eddy Curry, I agree with some of the posters on here just sit the "Veterans" and play the young guys because they bring more to the team right now than the vets. Of course we're going to take bad losses, but it wont be because of lack of heart and hustle.

Look at the Hawks, They drafted theyre players (besides joe johnson) and now they're a respectable team. New York needs to play the young Gunz and play them now.
Slimpack
Lead Assistant
And1: 83

Post#7 » by Slimpack » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:14 am

Well we can't get another lotto pick without including lee obviously. Curry and Crawford don't even come close to getting it done. We might be able to get a mid to late first rounder by taking on more salary or paying cash though. Sometimes top tier teams seek to trade their first rounder to avoid the luxury tax.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#8 » by NBAMAN2006 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:41 am

Blazers will likley have a lower(#10-14) lotto pick. I would gladly do this deal, as a Blazer fan....

David Lee & Nate Robinson for Jarrett Jack, Blazers 1st round pick and NYK's 2008 2nd round pick.

Could someone break down Nate's game for me? Pros & cons?
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#9 » by mjhp911 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:42 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:Why not go for 3 lotto picks?

Curry + Crawford + Balkman for Swift, Cardinal, Damon and first

Randolph + Jones+ Damon(from last trade) to SAC for Kenny, SAR, Miller and first

Send Dallas Kenny and James for Dampier(to make roster space)

Send Jeffries and Lee for aK47(more space)

fun? yes
practical?
anywhere near possible? doubtful

teams do not like to part with lotto picks, too little reward for too high a risk

:nod:

Another good post.

Both sad but true.

We should hold off on trading for Artest and including Lee in deals though.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#10 » by midranger » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:07 am

There is only one GM in the league willing to give a lotto pick for Eddy Curry. Unfortunately for you guys...
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
king_k4life
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by king_k4life » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:24 am

NBAMAN2006 wrote:Blazers will likley have a lower(#10-14) lotto pick. I would gladly do this deal, as a Blazer fan....

David Lee & Nate Robinson for Jarrett Jack, Blazers 1st round pick and NYK's 2008 2nd round pick.

Could someone break down Nate's game for me? Pros & cons?

Ehh Nah

We will most likely get the 2-4th pick

OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose are our targets
JimmyDolan
Senior
And1: 69

Post#12 » by JimmyDolan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:08 pm

Lee and Balkman
Big Chief Triangle
jax98
RealGM

Post#13 » by jax98 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:28 pm

mjhp911 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Another good post.

Both sad but true.

We should hold off on trading for Artest and including Lee in deals though.

I would somewhat agree. Ron Artest is one of those few players in the league who doesn't seem to mind the contract he has. If he's really interested in playing for the Knicks, I would take my chances and offer him the full MLE in the off-season. Though, make the 2nd year a player option. That way he can opt out and you can re-sign him for a more appropiate contract.

As for David Lee. I couldn't agree more. David is by far my favorite Knick and he's such a hard worker on the glass. If possible, he's a keeper. All I'm saying is you're likely to get another lotto pick if you deal him. If David was on the Bulls, I'd be just as puzzled as you about it. I'd go back and fourth all the time, I think.
Fenix
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Fenix » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:54 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:Ron Artest is one of those few players in the league who doesn't seem to mind the contract he has.

And you base that on what? He's a 19/6/4/2 two-way player who talks about the need to take care of his family quite often. Due to questions surrounding his mental state he most certainly won't get the money he deserves as a player, but I can't see how (or why) he'd be glad to get only a MLE. Plus, this is the Knicks we're talking about. They gave a MLE to Jared frickin' Jeffries.
"Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team." (Scottie Pippen, #33)
jax98
RealGM

Post#15 » by jax98 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:09 pm

Fenix wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And you base that on what? He's a 19/6/4/2 two-way player who talks about the need to take care of his family quite often. Due to questions surrounding his mental state he most certainly won't get the money he deserves as a player, but I can't see how (or why) he'd be glad to get only a MLE. Plus, this is the Knicks we're talking about. They gave a MLE to Jared frickin' Jeffries.

I base that on him being willing to donate his entire salary to keep Adelman and Bonzi freaking Wells around. He was ready to donate over $7M to keep those 2 around. Does that sound like he's a money hungry player?

Also, underpaid players usually complain. Does he?
Fenix
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#16 » by Fenix » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:28 pm

But did he gave that money away? My point is: his FA days are close. Everyone knows that he's a great player, but he has a reputation of a team cancer. My bet is that that was a PR move. There's usually a big difference between what people say and what they actually do.
"Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team." (Scottie Pippen, #33)
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#17 » by Huey Freeman » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:07 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:There are so many teams in this league who could use a guy like him. Good defense, excellent rebounding and high percentage shots.

Okay DLee IS a good player and all BUT he is NOT a good defender. Let's not get carried away. :wavefinger:
Revolution starts in the mind...
jax98
RealGM

Post#18 » by jax98 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:35 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Okay DLee IS a good player and all BUT he is NOT a good defender. Let's not get carried away. :wavefinger:

I've always thought he was. Perhaps that because he plays next to Curry :lol:

Fenix wrote:But did he gave that money away? My point is: his FA days are close. Everyone knows that he's a great player, but he has a reputation of a team cancer. My bet is that that was a PR move. There's usually a big difference between what people say and what they actually do.

Ron Artest with a PR move? I highly doubt it. If Ron was interested in being seen as a "normal" person or interested in being thought highly of, he would never have done the things he's done over his career. He's probably one of the most careless players in the league.

Besides, worst case scenario is he's offered $6M - $7M. No one will offer him more unless they're insanely stupid. So Knicks will need to force a S&T. No biggie. From a marketing standpoint (Selling his music, going back home) New York is a place where he would thrive.

Return to New York Knicks