ImageImageImageImageImage

If you had to build your team around one of two players . .

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HellsKitchen
Head Coach
And1: 0

If you had to build your team around one of two players . . 

Post#1 » by HellsKitchen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:31 pm

Would you choose Lebron James or Dwight Howard? I was discussing this with a friend, and was curious what the general consensus might be.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#2 » by Phish Tank » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:33 pm

LeBron. Great wing players that have the talents, athleticism, and leadership skills as he does are hard to find.
nynixlive
Sixth Man
And1: 38

Post#3 » by nynixlive » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:33 pm

Lebron, way too complete of a player to pass up.

Dwight is awesome though, but Lebron could wind up top 5 of all time.
hoodie©
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#4 » by hoodie© » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:36 pm

Dwight "Powerhouse" Howard

this is just personal preference, I'm just not a fan of "King James".
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#5 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:44 pm

Wing player.

Big me are great to have but at the end of the game, cant throw them the ball normally. Much more valuable to have a Kobe or James than a Howard at end of games in my opinion.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#6 » by TKF » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:45 pm

that is a tough one, because I like both players, but lebron does so many things on the floor and he has the ball in his hands most of the time. I usually will go with bigs here, but Lebron is so versatile, so unselfish and so talented and he has already led a team with limited talent to the finals already, I would have to go with lebron.....
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#7 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:46 pm

Although I think LeBron is overall the better player, I would choose Dwight in this scenario. It's just MUCH easier to build a team around a dominant bigman than it is to builid around a dominant wing player, even if he is arguably the most complete wing player ever.

It's just easier to win with a bigman. Look at Orlando's record vs. Cleveland's. Dwight's supporting cast isn't far and away better than LeBron's. No superstar wing player, other than MJ, has led a team to a title in recent history, without having Shaq on his team. And even MJ needed another top 50 player of all-time in Pippen. Maybe if LeBron ran a team as the point guard, like Magic or Kidd, I would take him, but looking at the two players right now, I'd take Dwight.

For the same reason, I'd rather build around Duncan than Kobe.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:49 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:Although I think LeBron is overall the better player, I would choose Dwight in this scenario. It's just MUCH easier to build a team around a dominant bigman than it is to builid around a dominant wing player, even if he is arguably the most complete wing player ever.

It's just easier to win with a bigman. Look at Orlando's record vs. Cleveland's. Dwight's supporting cast isn't far and away better than LeBron's. No superstar wing player has led a team to a title in recent history, without having Shaq on his team. Maybe if LeBron ran a team as the point guard, like Magic or Kidd, I would take him, but looking at the two players right now, I'd take Dwight.

????

I hate you for making me defend him but Lebron led nobodies to the NBA finals by beating the team that squashed Howard. Also, howard's second best player is Lewis. Lebron's is ????. Nuff said.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#9 » by knicksNOTslick » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:50 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:Although I think LeBron is overall the better player, I would choose Dwight in this scenario. It's just MUCH easier to build a team around a dominant bigman than it is to builid around a dominant wing player, even if he is arguably the most complete wing player ever.

It's just easier to win with a bigman. Look at Orlando's record vs. Cleveland's. Dwight's supporting cast isn't far and away better than LeBron's. No superstar wing player has led a team to a title in recent history, without having Shaq on his team. Maybe if LeBron ran a team as the point guard, like Magic or Kidd, I would take him, but looking at the two players right now, I'd take Dwight.

Lebron would kill to have Rashard Lewis and Turkeyglue on his team. He'd have a much better chance to win in the finals than Dwight.

With that said, I'd build around LeBron. But not by much. I wouldn't complain if I ended up with Dwight. In fact, I'd be ecstatic. I'm a Dwight fan.
hoodie©
Banned User

Post#10 » by hoodie© » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:54 pm

knicks742 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

????

I hate you for making me defend him but Lebron led nobodies to the NBA finals by beating the team that squashed Howard. Also, howard's second best player is Lewis. Lebron's is ????. Nuff said.

Hey last time I checked Big Z was an All-Star himself & Rashard Lewis wasn't an Orlando Magic last season not to mention Dwight Howard's 1st playoffs. We'll see who has the most Championships when their careers are final.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager

Post#11 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:55 pm

????

I agree that Howard has the better supporting cast. But is it THAT much better? Beyond Lewis, Orlando's next best player is that scrub (according to TKF) Turkoglu. Are Lewis, Turk, Nelson, Bogans, and Arroyo really that good? Compared to Zydrunas, Hughes, Gooden, Gibson, Pavlovic? No doubt, having a better #2 man helps a ton. I just think it's easier to build a true winner around a dominant bigman.

Starting from scratch, I'd take Howard over LeBron.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:55 pm

[quote="hoodie
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#13 » by Fury » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:57 pm

LeBron. Surround LeBron with shooters and a defensive center and you're set.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager

Post#14 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:57 pm

Big Z was done last year. Dwight has a lot more help. The team he has now is better than the team James had last year. Therefore, unless he makes it to the finals, he is not better than Lebron.

Even if he does make it to the Finals, he's not better than LeBron. But that wasn't the question that was asked.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:57 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree that Howard has the better supporting cast. But is it THAT much better? Beyond Lewis, Orlando's next best player is that scrub (according to TKF) Turkoglu. Are Lewis, Turk, Nelson, Bogans, and Arroyo really that good? Compared to Zydrunas, Hughes, Gooden, Gibson, Pavlovic? No doubt, having a better #2 man helps a ton. I just think it's easier to build a true winner around a dominant bigman.

Starting from scratch, I'd take Howard over LeBron.

This year, yes, it is that much better. Plus Lebron has missed games this season and no Varejao for like a month. I respect if you pick Howard over Lebron, however, I don't think the argument of comparing this year's records of their teams proves your point for the reasons I mentioned on this post and the other one.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#16 » by knicksNOTslick » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:58 pm

Big Z was done last year. Dwight has a lot more help. The team he has now is better than the team James had last year. Therefore, unless he makes it to the finals, he is not better than Lebron.

That's not fair for Dwight. Lebron didn't have to go through a Boston Celtics team that's blowing people out on a consistent basis.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager

Post#17 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:59 pm

This year, yes, it is that much better. Plus Lebron has missed games this season and no Varejao for like a month. I respect if you pick Howard over Lebron, however, I don't think the argument of comparing this year's records of their teams proves your point for the reasons I mentioned on this post and the other one.

Fair enough. Removed that aspect of my argument, and I still think it's easier to build around a true dominant bigman than a dominant wing.
hoodie©
Banned User

Post#18 » by hoodie© » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:01 pm

basically 13ppg 10rpg during the playoffs, that's done? It's different competition on the road to the finals this year.
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#19 » by FKF » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:11 pm

LeBron

that said, of all the players in the league, I would still choose Kobe..
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:13 pm

FKF wrote:LeBron

that said, of all the players in the league, I would still choose Kobe..

I agree. Kobe brings an aura around him. When he came to the garden two weeks ago, the buzz and feeling was unique.

Return to New York Knicks