ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Ray

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Blue Ray 

Post#1 » by #1knickfan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:50 pm

Since Warner Brothers has switched to Blue Ray it seems as if Blue Ray has won the next generation dvd war. Coupled with a good Blue Ray dvd sale at Best Buy I figure the time has come to upgrade my system. Anyone have any opinions on which Blue Ray player is the best?
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#2 » by DaGoodz » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:51 pm

I just use the player in my PS3, it works great
siro
Rookie

Post#3 » by siro » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:03 am

Buy a PS3, most blue ray players cost $300+. Might as well buy a ps3 so you can play games and play blue rays.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#4 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:13 am

LOL... The war is far from over.

Sony will figure out a way to alienate as many buyers as they can, they always do...
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
king_k4life
Banned User

Post#5 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:15 am

Da Bride Is OVa The Bridge is OVa

Bradupabwoy

Da Bride Is OVa The Bridge is OVa

Blat Blat

XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#6 » by XcalibuR » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:18 am

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:LOL... The war is far from over.

Sony will figure out a way to alienate as many buyers as they can, they always do...

But HD dvd is crap.
knickmadness
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#7 » by knickmadness » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:27 am

Its actually bluray and yes they did win the high def dvd war.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#8 » by Storm Surge » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:37 am

yeah HD-DVD is done, it's done son.

Get a PS3, it's such a sweet deal, even if you don't use it to play games with it's functionality it is still worth the price compared to other players.

You can:
1. Play blu-ray
2. it upconverts DVDs
3. Store music and play it
4. Store videos and pictures
5. Built-in web browser
6. Stream all of your music/videos/pictures from your PC to PS3, so you don't even need to have it on your hard drive.

This is not counting the fact that IT PLAYS GAMES! Killzone 2, MGS4, RESISTANCE, UNCHARTED ETC. ETC. GRAN TURISMO
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,519

Post#9 » by adjacent2bench » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:56 am

Yea I copped PS3 like last week, came with BluRay Spiderman 3. It's actually a pretty good **** deal.
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Re: Blue Ray 

Post#10 » by richardhutnik » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:57 am

#1knickfan wrote:Since Warner Brothers has switched to Blue Ray it seems as if Blue Ray has won the next generation dvd war. Coupled with a good Blue Ray dvd sale at Best Buy I figure the time has come to upgrade my system. Anyone have any opinions on which Blue Ray player is the best?

It is BluRay. And wait for the price to drop. Do you have an HDDVD player? The format war is hardly over. BluRay has an edge now, but it is hardly over.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#11 » by madvillian » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:21 am

To me, there are only two good options right now if you want to get a next gen player: 1) You buy the cheapest HD-DVD player you can find ($199), or 2) you buy a PS3.

Why anyone would spend $300 on the cheapest Blu-Ray player when they could get a PS3 for $99 more is beyond me.

The format war is far from over, I think the dust will be settled by next January though. HD-DVD needs to enter the $150 pricepoint like yesterday or they will be dead in the water. Blu-Ray has too much money and too much marketing behind it right now, with HD-DVD down to Toshiba and MS.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#12 » by Jitpal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:22 am

I don't think the war is over. However 7 out of 10 HD Movies are on Blu-ray and that has to count for a lot. I remember reading that over black friday and christmas that hd-dvd players outsold blu-ray players by a wide margin. So I would imagine there are plenty of people out there ready to buy some HD-DVDs. It's not over but I think Sony has the opportunity to put their foot on the pedal and take care of this. If you do look to pick up hi-def movies, Blu-Ray is the safer bet of the two. This is coming from a guy who has both players. -Jitpal
ankie000
Senior

Post#13 » by ankie000 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:26 am

Jitpal wrote:I don't think the war is over. However 7 out of 10 HD Movies are on Blu-ray and that has to count for a lot. I remember reading that over black friday and christmas that hd-dvd players outsold blu-ray players by a wide margin. So I would imagine there are plenty of people out there ready to buy some HD-DVDs. It's not over but I think Sony has the opportunity to put their foot on the pedal and take care of this. If you do look to pick up hi-def movies, Blu-Ray is the safer bet of the two. This is coming from a guy who has both players. -Jitpal

Which of the two do you like better, quality wise?
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#14 » by #1knickfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:57 am

Jitpal wrote:I don't think the war is over. However 7 out of 10 HD Movies are on Blu-ray and that has to count for a lot. I remember reading that over black friday and christmas that hd-dvd players outsold blu-ray players by a wide margin. So I would imagine there are plenty of people out there ready to buy some HD-DVDs. It's not over but I think Sony has the opportunity to put their foot on the pedal and take care of this. If you do look to pick up hi-def movies, Blu-Ray is the safer bet of the two. This is coming from a guy who has both players. -Jitpal

Well from what I have read the HD-DVD players certainly outsold Bluray players but at the same time those stats did not include PS3 sales because they technically they are video game systems. When PS3 sales are added Bluray crushes HD-DVD.

As for buying the PS#, while I agree it provides more bang for your buck than the standalone bluray player it isn't a good investment for me. I already have my Xbox 360 elite and I already have a ton of games that I haven't finished beating yet with games like GTA4 still coming out. I haven't even updated it so I can play my old Xbox games that I haven't finished beating yet. I just want to get a Bluray player so I can take advantage of this deal while ensuring I am able to save my money for something more useful. Such as making sure I have plenty of spending money for a planned vacation to Puerto Rico with this female friend I wanna bang like a salvation army drum. :pray:
CrazyEyes
RealGM

Post#15 » by CrazyEyes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:01 am

Jitpal wrote:I remember reading that over black friday and christmas that hd-dvd players outsold blu-ray players by a wide margin.

That may be true (I dunno, haven't seen any figures) but BR titles are out selling HD titles more than 2:1 by most reports. Now that less than 25% of the movies out there are on HD-DVD it seems unlikely sales will pickup.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#16 » by Jitpal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:20 am

#1knickfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well from what I have read the HD-DVD players certainly outsold Bluray players but at the same time those stats did not include PS3 sales because they technically they are video game systems. When PS3 sales are added Bluray crushes HD-DVD.

As for buying the PS#, while I agree it provides more bang for your buck than the standalone bluray player it isn't a good investment for me. I already have my Xbox 360 elite and I already have a ton of games that I haven't finished beating yet with games like GTA4 still coming out. I haven't even updated it so I can play my old Xbox games that I haven't finished beating yet. I just want to get a Bluray player so I can take advantage of this deal while ensuring I am able to save my money for something more useful. Such as making sure I have plenty of spending money for a planned vacation to Puerto Rico with this female friend I wanna bang like a salvation army drum. :pray:

I don't know what was factored in and not. However, you can't assume that every PS3 owner is in fact going to get Blu-Ray movies or even knows about it. I remember reading a different article stating the majority of PS3 owners didn't know that there was a Blu-Ray player built in. Not everyone is tech savvy. I don't think Sony has done a good job in marketing the PS3 and showing off what advantages it does have over the competition. Also keep in mind if 7 out of 10 HD Movies come out on Blu-Ray they should outsell HD-Dvds, just because of the volume.

As for what I prefer. I'd have to go with Blu-Ray for two reasons. First of all, there are more movies releasing on Blu-Ray which means there is more selection for the consumer and there is a less of a chance to fail. Keep in mind that the Paramount/Dreamworks deal is only 18 months, of which a few have already passed. They used to be on the Blu-Ray side of things so I would imagine they would go back once the deal is up. Anyways, I prefer Blu-Ray as format for a few reasons. Blu-Ray discs hold more data ~50 to ~30 GBs. This means that it is the preferred choice for data backup. Blu-Ray is also used as the media for PS3 games. Those two factors give it life outside of Movies, something that HD-DVD doesn't have. Also that added space allows for multiple audio tracks. In a video to video comparison, they are both very similar, however when audio is factored in it becomes interesting. A Blu-Ray disc can come with HD Video and things like a 7.1 uncompressed audio track as well as DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD. HD-DVD doesn't have the luxury of that extra space to keep those extra audio tracks. It gives more choice and I am a sucker for uncompressed media. If I have the choice, I generally go Blu-Ray. -Jitpal
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#17 » by madvillian » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:43 am

Of course you go Blu-Ray. But you're not the typical consumer. The typical consumer doesn't know Dolby 7.1 (christ, how many people even have 5.1 surround sound?) from the blue sky.

This "war" will be deterimed by the middling class of American consumers. If HD-DVD can meet the demands of the "wal mart shopper" they will win.

I'd pick Blu-Ray too just for the tech of it -- but if HD-DVD meets the needs (read: price) of most consumers than they will win.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#18 » by PrecociousNeoph » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:07 am

blu-ray is more popular right now because including a next gen media format on the PS3 was a hardline issue for sony. for whatever reason they decided to shove blu-ray down our throats, and in doing so ballooned the price of the PS3, which of course was the main reason most people wouldn't buy one. nintendo (wisely) figured that not enough people would own TV's capable of taking advantage of a next-gen media format when the wii launched, and microsoft tried to ride the fence by not including native HD-DVD support in the 360 but making an add on available later.

by aggressively marketing blu-ray and including it in the ps3, essentially sony sacrificed short-term ps3 sales to get a head start on the next-gen media race. I think their view is that in the long run it's more profitable to have a choke hold on movies (something more people buy) than the video games market (something not as many people buy), and then later just make up for lost ground by "re-designing" and re-releasing the ps3, cutting prices, etc.
“Bye, Felicia.”
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#19 » by mjhp911 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:13 am

Okay, so I'm in the market for a DVD recorder. I was thinking of getting one that had 1080P upconversion and a digital tuner. Now after reading about youse's take on the format wars, I'm thinking I should just get the cheapest DVD recorder I can get my hands on, and just let things sort themselves out in a few months. Any suggestions? No, I am not going to pay extra for TIVO or DVR (and I like the 'portability' of discs, so I won't consider hard drive recorders).
Lotsix
Rookie
And1: 287

Post#20 » by Lotsix » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:50 am

im in the industry and this thing is over.....HDDVD is crap...audio is horrible on it.....BD has put a strangle hold on this war.....the only reason HD is around is because of paramount, and even they will soon leave once they see what happens with HD.....I have a PS3 but if you want a good player get the panasonic BD30......it has all the new audio formats(Master Audio,Dolby True HD) and is the quickest loading player on the market.....the bets product picture was is the pioneer elite but its also double the price......I sell this stuff so if you guys need Audio/Video products, let me know.......

Return to New York Knicks