ImageImageImageImageImage

Of all the moves IT has made

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#21 » by Huey Freeman » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:58 pm

This franchise went to sh*t when we got rid of Tim Thomas. True story. :nod:
Revolution starts in the mind...
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Re: Of all the moves IT has made 

Post#22 » by StutterStep » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:55 am

BRIGGS wrote:there is no doubt in my mind--taking Frye over Bynum is going to go down as the absolute worst. He's starting to play like a franchise type player and his upside is championship caliber superstar franchise player. To miss out on that is the worst--all of these other terrible moves the MLE the crazy trades/contracts could almost be forgiven if we had Bynum. The BS that Bynum wouldnt have developed in NY is crp. Bynum has his own trainer--got himself into shape when he was 17--he's a very good FT shooter already for a very big guy. He's going to be automatic 25-12-3 for a long time

Didn't you post this 2 weeks ago?
gr3en
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#23 » by gr3en » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:19 am

The Steve Francis Trade.

It was redundant trade that led to an even more redundant Zach Randolph trade. We should have just let Penny's contract expire.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#24 » by mjhp911 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:02 am

TheBluest wrote:That's hindsight because no one knew Kobe would be that good. What if Bynum turned out to be a Bust?

There are many different variations. Like from this example. Mine is #1 yours apears to be #2

It's not really rocket science. Jerry West knew within five minutes of watching Kobe, that he was the best player in that draft class. Anyway, I think Zeke already knew Bynum would turn out to be the better player. He narrowed his selection down to 3 players that summer: Frye, Bynum, and Gerald Green. Extrapolating from his comments about Bynum and Frye (back then, and now), he's hinted that Bynum probably would not have developed properly here, and Frye was the more NBA-ready product. Taken further, if he thought Bynum could develop properly here, he probably would have taken him. And he's drafted HS cats before, like T-Mac, who could develop slowly up North. I think the circumstances around our situation that summer dictated Zeke's choice. And while I can understand it, I hope we don't repeat it this summer. Because we need to take the best player available, without regard to age, experience, or ability to contribute right away.

As for the NFL, you CAN absolutely draft for need in that sport. Less so in the NBA. Not exactly irrelevant, but apples to oranges, in this case.
Slimpack
Lead Assistant
And1: 83

Post#25 » by Slimpack » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:04 am

mjhp911 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's not really rocket science. Jerry West knew within five minutes of watching Kobe, that he was the best player in that draft class. Anyway, I think Zeke already knew Bynum would turn out to be the better player. He narrowed his selection down to 3 players that summer: Frye, Bynum, and Gerald Green. Extrapolating from his comments about Bynum and Frye (back then, and now), he's hinted that Bynum probably would not have developed properly here, and Frye was the more NBA-ready product. Taken further, if he thought Bynum could develop properly here, he probably would have taken him. And he's drafted HS cats before, like T-Mac, who could develop slowly up North. I think the circumstances around our situation that summer dictated Zeke's choice. And while I can understand it, I hope we don't repeat it this summer. Because we need to take the best player available, without regard to age, experience, or ability to contribute right away.

As for the NFL, you CAN absolutely draft for need in that sport. Less so in the NBA. Not exactly irrelevant, but apples to oranges, in this case.

When did Isiah hint that Bynum wouldn't develop properly before recently? The way I remember it, Isiah said that he drafted the player that he wanted in Frye and that he would have taken him no. 1 if he had the no. 1 draft pick.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#26 » by Jemini80 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:52 am

i always laugh when teams draft players with no upside in the top 10 and are given products. On draft night that year i laughed at us, just like i laughed at Charlotte last year with Morrison or Atlanta with S. Williams and I will laugh at the team that drafts Hibbert this year.

When you draft a College senior, which i believe Frye was, chances are they aren't going to magically develop other skillset.
fimslim3
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#27 » by fimslim3 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:58 am

If the Lakers drafted Frye, he would have turned out to be twice the player he is now then in New York. Lakers actually CARE about the players they draft.

Return to New York Knicks