ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Soundproofing my room

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MikeyMike
Starter
And1: 2

OT: Soundproofing my room 

Post#1 » by MikeyMike » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:04 am

Yea, I know I'm a loser for still living at home with my parents. (I'm 23 in school) ...anyways now that we got that out of the way...

My parents room is next door to mine and there is an extremely thin wall separating us.

I want to bring girls over to bone in the late night but I can't because I'm scared it'll make too much noise.

Anyone have experience in sound proofing? Would the guy at home depot think I'm nuts if I ask his advice? lol

Fisher, remembered, “We weren’t sitting around waiting for something to happen to become one of the best teams in the league. We set out to become that.”
JoeT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#2 » by JoeT » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:10 am

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it's going to cost you a very pretty penny to do that. Hope you find out otherwise, because I could have interest in that myself.
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#3 » by Boss_ » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:27 am

Get a job so you can pay for hoe-tel.
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#4 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:31 am

cheaper to find a motel that charges by the hour

no joke, don't bring girls you meet at a club back to your house if you live with your parents. Learn this from Weekend at Bernie's 1 or 2, not sure which it is.

if you tape the girl's mouth shut that also soundproofs the room, and if you mak sure your bed isn't squeak'in.
siro
Rookie

Post#5 » by siro » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:44 am

lol, your like the Entertainer from I luv new york 2.
MikeyMike
Starter

Post#6 » by MikeyMike » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:28 am

haha! The entertainer...great show

Yea, I probably shouldn't be bringing stupid/drunk/dumb/skanky/whores home while my parents are sleeping in the next room.

Still, I want to soundproof my room so I can play my music a little louder than usual. Figure I spend one month's rent at my own place...less, couple $$# bucks....

bada bing bada boom, 276 bucks is my guess...

I saw in that movie with terrance howard, hustle and flow, they staple empty cardboard egg cartons to the walls.

Does that work?

Fisher, remembered, “We weren’t sitting around waiting for something to happen to become one of the best teams in the league. We set out to become that.”
siro
Rookie

Post#7 » by siro » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:35 am

I herd egg cartoon works, or try thick foam.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,069

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:53 am

When they build "sound reducing" walls in residential homes they often use double studs and weave insulations between them

So basically with drywall a soundproof wall is about 8 inches think.

Honestly I'd imagine the cheapest/easiest way would be to give it the theater effect and have a thick fabric curtain on the wall to absorb some of the noise.
JackKnife2ooo
Senior
And1: 36

Post#9 » by JackKnife2ooo » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:27 am

to actually sound proof it would cost you at least $1,000

you can dampen sound with acoustic foam, but it won't do much.

thems the breaks.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#10 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:31 pm

Unless you are willing to drywall your room - you are not going to be able to truly "sound proof" your wall.

You can buy "dampening sheets" that you attach to your walls, not as good as sound proofing, but they will decrease the sound transfer and are alot cheaper than putting up a new wall.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
jentoniodavis
Starter
And1: 0

Post#11 » by jentoniodavis » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:21 pm

move into the basement, or go and get your own place...
crackjack wrote:I hate the fake moaning. I've been with plenty of girls, and I never once heard them moan like that.

Wait a minute...
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#12 » by truth serum » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:00 pm

I thought you were building a studio at first. Since that's not the case....sound proofing your room would probably be a little on the stupid side. Bang her out in the car if you have to. You're really gonna bring her in a room with egg cartons all over the wall just so you can make sex noises?
synthdogg
Starter
And1: 14

Post#13 » by synthdogg » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:07 pm

HA......I am building a studio right now. It would be cheaper just to go get your own place.

The foam/egg carton idea won't do anything for you...that's to deaden the sound in the room, but it won't stop sound from traveling out of the room.

You really do have to build double walls and fill them with insulation or sound-stop, and even then you'll still have problems with air vents....sound loves to travel around the whole house through the A/C system.

Pop for a hotel...you'll save money.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#14 » by King of Canada » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:18 pm

I think that the only solution is to get your own place. Get a couple of roommates, and you're set. I say this because even if you've soundproofed your room, you're still sneaking a girl into your parents house. You're 23, not 16. Besides, don't you think it'll kind of freak girls out if they walk into your foam room?
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
King Jaffy Jo
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#15 » by King Jaffy Jo » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:14 pm

boy i tell ya... this is some thread lol

tell her to get in the truck!
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#16 » by method » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:27 pm

You will have to take the drywall down and insulate(the higher the r-value the better) inbetween the studs floor to ceiling (interior walls only)or just the walls that are attached to your moms room.

Then you will have to put NEW drywall up(unless you could salvage the old drywall) plaster and paint.Its going to cost you a pretty penny if you do it yourself an arm and a leg if you have someone do it for you.

Fun fun fun.......might as well get a hotel.

Unless your getting laid on the regular,in that case but a pillow over her head giving her air every so often.
je2340
Senior
And1: 4

Post#17 » by je2340 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:50 pm

Post of 2008 thus far hands down :bowdown: Spring for the hotel man, you can go as hard as you want and not worry about too much noise play boy. Or start dating females with their own places, or as suggested before move out and do what you want in your own place.
disgruntledknicksfan
Senior

Post#18 » by disgruntledknicksfan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:16 am

move. seriously. I went back to school at 24 and was staying with the folks for a bit. smashing in your folks' house post-high school just isn't a good look.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,571

Post#19 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:04 am

:rofl:

You can try a white noise maker:

http://www.white-noise.us/screen580_980.htm

This one chick I knew had one and it seemed to work.
:wink:

Or you can always serve up the roofy cocktail....(edit: I do not condone or approve this method :nonono: )
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks