ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kerry endorses Obama

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

riyaz_guerra
Senior
And1: 0

OT: Kerry endorses Obama 

Post#1 » by riyaz_guerra » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:00 pm

The article link.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/ ... index.html

This is a nice boost and a good start.

The single figure that may be the most important endorsement I feel is Al Gore. I am saying this because global warming has positioned itself to be one of the major issues in the voters mind,...and to have the endorsement of the Nobel prize winner, the tireless advocate for action on global warming, would be tantamount to making a candidate the most viable leader to combat global warming.

Of course, Al Gore can be seen as more titled toward Hillary. But, the man is so concerned with the issue that he will give his endorsement to whomever has the best plan to combat the issue, not necessarily who he's on friendlier terms with.

This would mean Obama better get cracking on putting together a solid global warming policy that will be strong enough to garner Gore's endorsement.
"When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative." - Martin Luther King Jr.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:06 pm

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll say here that this is a good endorsement for Obama. But I sit back and wonder, and sometimes get depressed, at what could have been if he had been elected president. He had so much to offer this country, people don't realize how progressive his record is. He could have had this country on the right path and been up for reelection come this election, instead we had to 3 extra years of Bush corruption, ineptitude and thousands of more deaths in Iraq...

Kerry is a good man. Hopefully this endorsement helps Obama down the line. If Obama gets elected, Kerry will be his biggest ally in the Senate, IMO (if he gets reelected)
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Re: OT: Kerry endorses Obama 

Post#3 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm

riyaz_guerra wrote:The article link.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/ ... index.html

This is a nice boost and a good start.

The single figure that may be the most important endorsement I feel is Al Gore. I am saying this because global warming has positioned itself to be one of the major issues in the voters mind,...and to have the endorsement of the Nobel prize winner, the tireless advocate for action on global warming, would be tantamount to making a candidate the most viable leader to combat global warming.

Of course, Al Gore can be seen as more titled toward Hillary. But, the man is so concerned with the issue that he will give his endorsement to whomever has the best plan to combat the issue, not necessarily who he's on friendlier terms with.

This would mean Obama better get cracking on putting together a solid global warming policy that will be strong enough to garner Gore's endorsement.

I have been talking about this in the other thread but I will ask here because I think it's an interesting point to discuss and I already saw it brought in some blog.

Do you think that it hurts Obama's stance as the change agent and anti-establishment candidate to have the establishment's last candidate for President supporting him instead of the status quo candidate? Do you think this could have some traction if the Clinton campaign decides to frame the endorsement this way?
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#4 » by knicks742 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm

I think the three of us should have a primary thread and sticky it. We seem to be talking amongs ourselves all the time.

:lol: :lol:
egreezy
Senior

Post#5 » by egreezy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 pm

Interested in know who Bill Richardson endorses too. But this says a lot for the last Democratic Presidential candidate not endorsing Hilary. Gore I have a feeling not not endorse anyone.
riyaz_guerra
Senior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by riyaz_guerra » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 pm

cmaff051 I voted for Kerry too and wish he did win, I have a long list of dems I've supported but ended up losing :lol:

Do you think that it hurts Obama's stance as the change agent and anti-establishment candidate to have the establishment's last candidate for President supporting him instead of the status quo candidate? Do you think this could have some traction if the Clinton campaign decides to frame the endorsement this way? -knicks742

You raise a good point and I feel endorsements will be a double-edged sword for Obama. Garnering them will easily allow him to be painted as being essentially, endorsed by the status quo. BUT, at the same time, getting key endorsements will help counter perceptions about his lack of experience. It's like some new guy who wants a key management position and receives the endorsement of an experienced manager.

How it will play out remains to be seen. Everyone wants endorsements, it would only hurt him to not seek them and allow all of them to go to Hillary.

But like I said, the endorsements that should be showcased on a national level, are certain key endorsements such as a Gore endorsement would be.

I think the three of us should have a primary thread and sticky it. We seem to be talking amongs ourselves all the time. -knicks742

:lol: yeah seems like it. But, hey, the more the merrier. It's nice to see other people from the board jump in and get involved with the process.

Interested in know who Bill Richardson endorses too. But this says a lot for the last Democratic Presidential candidate not endorsing Hilary. Gore I have a feeling not not endorse anyone. -egreezy

I think Richardson will refrain from endorsing anyone because he wants some position in the new goverment. In an article in the NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/us/po ... ref=slogin

it shows that Richardson will be out of a job in 2010 because of term limits in Nevada where he is governor. If he has a desire to remain in public office OR lingering presidential aspirations, then it would be his best bet to offer his services to whomever gets elected and not alienate that potential candidate by giving his endorsement too early.
"When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#7 » by Jemini80 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Gore is running again eventually, why would he endorse anyone?

i don't get what you guys think would be different if Kerry was president. No president was pulling us out of Iraq no matter what they said. Kerry had support of corporations as well.

plus, Bush sucks, but sometimes you just get the short straw and get a crappy situation. 9/11 forced him to completely change the views he ran on in 2000. It is unfair to judge a president during his term. If you did that then everyone would think Truman was one of the worst presidents of all time, and that Clinton was a great president even though he is at fault for a lot of thing including cutting our military far too much, not catching Bin Laden, and also dropping off the recession in the next president's lap. Sometimes you just get screwed, and no matter who the president was we would be in the same situation we are now, except if McCain was president, Iraq would have been far better off right now because we would have gone in there with far more troops then were even asked for instead of far less troops than were asked for.

I think everyone fails to remember what Bush ran on and what he wantd to do in 2000, kind of like how everyone forgets the fact that Woodrow Wilson did everything he possibly could to keep us from going to war, and gets no credit for it.
egreezy
Senior

Post#8 » by egreezy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:48 pm

I think Richardson will refrain from endorsing anyone because he wants some position in the new goverment. In an article in the NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/us/po ... ref=slogin

it shows that Richardson will be out of a job in 2010 because of term limits in Nevada where he is governor. If he has a desire to remain in public office OR lingering presidential aspirations, then it would be his best bet to offer his services to whomever gets elected and not alienate that potential candidate by giving his endorsement too early.

I just hope his 5% votes goes to Obama
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#9 » by richardhutnik » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Hillary has had this presumptive air about her, which has ticked off a lot of Democrats. This is this presumption that because you have the name Clinton, it means you are a lock to be a major player and get the nomination. I believe Hillary didn't endorse Kerry, so this is payback. Obama is the next choice, so that is why he gets the endorsements instead of Obama.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx

Return to New York Knicks