ImageImageImageImageImage

Marbury RIPS Isiah's Scheme (Daily News)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#21 » by chitownsports4ever » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

hOW CAN HE SCORE LIKE HE USED TO WHEN HE IS ONLY ALLOWED TO PUT UP 10 SHOTS PER GAME???? ARE YOU GUYS THAT DUMB? LAST I CHECKED, YOU MUCH RATHER HAVE CRAWFUL SHOOTING THE BALL 25 TIMES THAN MARBURY? NO WONDER WHY WE HAVE BEEN SUCH A BAD TEAM THE LAST 3 YEARS.

so you are saying it has nothing to do with

marbury arguing in the paper daily with Brown

Marbury showing up to camp out of shape

Marbury abandoning the team

If the knicks wouldve allowed Marbury to shoot 25 times a game that they wouldve won these last 3 years ?

The reality of the situation is that the league has changed and the knicks personel has also changed .

I watched Marbury last night in the second half as the knicks gave him ample opportunity with the ball and hes just not as quick as he used to .You add in zone defense and he will have trouble scoring like he used too.

The knicks moved away from the pick and roll because they wanted to go with a offense that would include everyone but I said it in the preseason and Ill say it again now its more important for the guards to find a groove than the bigs because its a guard league and when they are aggressive they will better dictate how the game will turn out than the bigs .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#22 » by BBALLER4FR » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:47 pm

After raising his head from BBALLER4FR's lap DesignStudio wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

*Gulp*

+1000

So true. Make this guy a mod...PLEASE!!!!
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#23 » by VinnyTheMick » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:47 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:Here is what i know about Marbury: NJ: scorer=losses, Phx: Scorer=losses and when they found gold in Amare they went looking for a pass first pg. In NY Marbs is just better suited at playing a pass first pg the only problem being is that if his head is not in it he wil just screw up. Vinny rember in the 3rd quarter those 2 wide open 3s Marbury missed? Crawford would not have missed those.

In PHX they almost upset the #1 seeded Spurs! I'm not saying they were going to win a title but they could have had the same type of playoff success that Phx is having now (aka lose in the 2nd round).
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
DesignStudio
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#24 » by DesignStudio » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:54 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1000

So true. Make this guy a mod...PLEASE!!!!

I feel sorry for you getting all defensive.

You should be happy someone responds to you, everyone else ignores your posts.

You realize the Marbury nut sucking you do is a waste of the human fecal matter you call life?
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#25 » by StutterStep » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:57 pm

TKF wrote:marbury eve at 30, just doesn't get it. I thought as you get older you get smarter. This guy regresses, I guess that is the problem with many knicks and why the team keeps regressing.. wow, what a bumbling moron..

Devil's Advocate: Marbury has been asked for 3 years to change his game, and he's tried. We've seen our offense based on Curry's prowess and look at our record. Shouldn't Curry be asked to change his game where he no longer focuses on being the offensive focal point and become a defensive-minded rebounder?

I don't agree with Marbury about being a scoring PG, but I do agree that we should not be running our offense through Eddy Curry.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#26 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm

TKF wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The problem with that style is that it never has led to winning basketball and marbury has proven not to be the best decision maker in the clutch...... The sad thing is, the thing that marbury does best, is not what win ball games.. many coaches have seen this story play out, and they know it doesn't work....

So, I ask you, what's the alternative? Run the ball through Crawford, put the ball in Crawford's hands and let him create for himself and otheres??? When has that style of play ever lead to a winning season? Has a Crawford led team ever won more than 33 games?

Basically what we are talking about here is the lesser of two evils... both Crawford and Marbury need to go, but history shows that we will have more success with Marbury directing our offense than Crawford

Really, I just don't understand the love for Crawford's play... surely he's a nice guy, surely he's unselfish at time, he's clutch at times, but he's not a 2-guard nor is he a point guard... he's a low percentage shooting tweener, and you can't win in this league with somebody like that..
DesignStudio
Banned User

Post#27 » by DesignStudio » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:03 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So, I ask you, what's the alternative? Run the ball through Crawford, put the ball in Crawford's hands and let him create for himself and otheres??? When has that style of play ever lead to a winning season? Has a Crawford led team ever won more than 33 games?

Basically what we are talking about here is the lesser of two evils... both Crawford and Marbury need to go, but history shows that we will have more success with Marbury directing our offense than Crawford

Really, I just don't understand the love for Crawford's play... surely he's a nice guy, surely he's unselfish at time, he's clutch at times, but he's not a 2-guard nor is he a point guard... he's a low percentage shooting tweener, and you can't win in this league with somebody like that..

What you are you talking about? If you are going to criticize someone at least try to make sense. When has Crawford ever lead a team period? This is the first season he is STARTING. What history shows that we would have more success with Marbury? Based on last years 33 wins? or the year before thats 23 wins. Not much of a bar for success. Please stop making things up and come with facts because noting you said sounds like you even watch the games or follow the team.
JAX
Veteran

Post#28 » by JAX » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:09 pm

Crawford is ideal for the super 6th man role, like BG in CHI.

Steph is still incredibly talented, I think his level is still closer to Davis then Francis. The right system, the right coach he could have a mediocre team. I would still keep him around if possible. If allowed I think he could take over a game, but he has been mature in that he has tried to sacrifice his game for Curry and JC under the guidance of two intelligent basketball minds/players. LB and yes Zeke, ok Zeke isn't intelligent but he was once a champion player. I think Steph deserves some credit. The team IMO would be better off as currently constructed w/ a DEN type frontcourt and allow the guards to just go off. JC Steph and Nate and all score in buckets.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#29 » by chitownsports4ever » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:12 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

its not about Crawford scoring or creating for someone else its about being able to play within a system and then impose your will on a game outside of that .

Name me a star of a winning team that cant play without the ball and then not be able take over when needed?

You compare Crawford to Marbury because you have no argument for marbury by himself .

Every coach has asked marbury to do one thing .

Get your teammates involved and then get yourself involved .

The alternative is BUYING INTO AND RUNNING THE SYSTEM .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#30 » by djsunyc » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:21 pm

TKF wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The problem with that style is that it never has led to winning basketball and marbury has proven not to be the best decision maker in the clutch...... The sad thing is, the thing that marbury does best, is not what win ball games.. many coaches have seen this story play out, and they know it doesn't work....

but that's not marbury's fault. that's the gm's fault for trading for him and trying to make him something he's not.

we messed up every move AFTER the marbury one b/c we brought in players that he doesn't play well with. marbury needs guys to catch and shoot around him b/c he was able to get in the lane with absolute ease.

i hate marbury, always have but let's be real here, every player that worked well with him was removed and replaced with completely different players that don't complement him.

crawford does not compliment him in the backcourt.
we brought in sf's, pf's and c's that can't hit jumpers or run pick and rolls.

so they asked steph to take a back seat. he didn't like it when lb told him. but then he listened to isiah, and to his credit, he did it without any drama. which led MANY to say it was his best season.

but you know what, from his point of view, he saw a team won 23 under lb and then 33 in the "curry" era...so he's probably like, why am i totally wasting what i bring to the table while we're still not winning.

he's 100% correct, he was paid b/c of his ability to drive and kick, and it's clear that he can't do anything else. so we totally wasted his prime years here b/c of isiah's inability to gm.
AirPaden
Analyst

Re: Marbury RIPS Isiah's Scheme (Daily News) 

Post#31 » by AirPaden » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:25 pm

NYCdishswish wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/01/12/2008-01-12_stephon_marbury_rips_isiah_thomas_scheme.html

Stephon Marbury rips Isiah Thomas' scheme, no longer a 'scoring guard'
BY IAN BEGLEY
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 4:00 AM

Stephon Marbury revealed Friday night that he is struggling to adjust to his new role in Isiah Thomas' offense, suggesting that for the money the Knicks are giving him, they should expect more out of him.

"I didn't get paid the money I got paid to do what I'm doing now," said Marbury, who is the NBA's fourth-highest paid player at $20.1 million. "I got paid to be a scoring guard. ... Now I'm playing more of a passive role."

Marbury finished with 13points, eight assists and four rebounds in last night's 99-90 loss to Toronto. Thomas has designed the offense to feature Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford.

Friday night, Randolph was held scoreless and Curry had just six points. Crawford scored 27.

"It's not working out right now," Marbury said of Curry being the centerpiece.
[/url]

Marbury should ust shut his mouth and do what he is told. Start earning you money and keep a lid on it.
If you think you can you can, Get It Done!
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,912

Post#32 » by god shammgod » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:28 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:If i were IT I would want Jamal to score rather than Marbs. First he is faster, better shooter. better at getting at the basket, and better at finding people open. Tell me Knick4ever that you still are a Marbury advicate?

jamal is
not a better shooter (check the percentages)
without a doubt not better at getting to the basket (this isn't even open for debate)
not better at finding open people (steph is not great either but he's better then jamal)

steph leading the team won't get you far either but we've seen when he's out that jamal actually has less success at it then him.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#33 » by BBALLER4FR » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:34 pm

DesignStudio wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I feel sorry for you getting all defensive.

You should be happy someone responds to you, everyone else ignores your posts.

You realize the Marbury nut sucking you do is a waste of the human fecal matter you call life?

Easy there tough guy. Remember, you sought me out.

Not get back down there and finish the job off Melissa.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,410

Post#34 » by duetta » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:47 pm

The problem has everything to do with Isiah, who continues to import flawed, set-in-their-ways "talents", and then believes that he can magically influence/impact their games. He can't, and likely nobody can. The best you can do is to surround this kind of player with talent that compensates for/complements them - as opposed to what Isiah's done, which is put three of these players in the starting lineup, and then expect it to magically work.

Isiah needs to understand that just because he can play svengali to Dolan doesn't mean he can do with Marbury, Randolph or Curry - especially as a group.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,912

Post#35 » by god shammgod » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:53 pm

duetta wrote:The problem has everything to do with Isiah, who continues to import flawed, set-in-their-ways "talents", and then believe that he can magically influence/impact their games. He can't, and likely nobody can. The best you can do is to surround this kind of player with talent that compensates/complements them - as opposed to what Isiah's done, which put three of these players in the starting lineup, and then expect it to magically work.

Isiah needs to understand that just because he play svengali to Dolan doesn't mean he can do with Marbury, Randolph and Curry - especially as a group.

this is true, he has the idea that he can "fix" these players when basically they are what they are. you can't make marbury a pure point the way you can't make iverson one. you can't make curry a great defensive player the way you can't make tyson chandler a great offensive player. if zach is selfish on one team, why is he gonna change on a new one ? if q-rich is a low percentage shooter playing along side one of the best point guards in the game, why would he be better on a team with a lesser one? and so on.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Re: Marbury RIPS Isiah's Scheme (Daily News) 

Post#36 » by mjhp911 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:54 pm

AirPaden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Marbury should ust shut his mouth and do what he is told. Start earning you money and keep a lid on it.

What he said.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#37 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 pm

watching Marbury last night was eye opening.

He demanded the ball every possession. He passed only when he was smothered and then usually only to get it right back. he dominated the ball and jacked up perimeter shots all night.

yes he scored inside, yes he had 8 assists. But overall it was the "all alone" marbury of old again. grotesque!
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,410

Post#38 » by duetta » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Marbury, like Eddy, like Zack, is what he is. And, oddly enough, Marbury playing that style, with Zack, and no Curry, might actually work!
KrAzY DeMoN
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#39 » by KrAzY DeMoN » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:47 pm

Marbury is right.
fimslim3
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#40 » by fimslim3 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:52 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:watching Marbury last night was eye opening.

He demanded the ball every possession. He passed only when he was smothered and then usually only to get it right back. he dominated the ball and jacked up perimeter shots all night.

yes he scored inside, yes he had 8 assists. But overall it was the "all alone" marbury of old again. grotesque!

You finally saw the light?

Return to New York Knicks