ImageImageImageImageImage

What Would You Do?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

JAX
Veteran
And1: 0

What Would You Do? 

Post#1 » by JAX » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 pm

You are picked up as the new replacement GM and have the job of restoring the Knicks. What would you do?

Not specific trades, but in general how would you handle it? What roster shake up would you make? do you use Zeke's "foundation" and add the right players, shooter, defender, etc. Or completely blow it all up. Bring in a big name just to entertain the fans in the mean time. Pull and Isaih and do nothing w/ the current roster, just let them slowly and painfully come off the books?

What style team? What style coach? What would be your marquee signature move?

I think that we should go back to what made the last Knicks team so notorious. Hard nose defense.

No one over the age of 27, unless they are needed for contract purposes.

Go young and get a young coach for them to develop with. This would all basically be a complete rebuild I think the goad should be the playoffs in 2 seasons, especially because there is no pick for us that following draft

But i do think that the right GM and right coach could work with what we have. Try get a Redd, and an Artest, and hope to draft Rose, and add a defensive big to rotate w/ Lee and Zbo or Curry. But this type of decision would require a marquee coach that could handle the big names/big contracts.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#2 » by Red Vines » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:30 pm

I would be concerned most with finding a point guard who can distribute and command a team and a defensive center. If we get those two things we will be in alright shape immediately.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#3 » by chrbal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 pm

Demand that Dolan allows me the freedom to do what I need to.

Herb Williams, interim head coach. Waive/buyout Quentin (30.9 isn't acceptable for 3pters, let alone overall), Malik (6'7" PFs never get a 2nd wind in their NBA career), and Jerome right away. Sign Tarence Kinsey (former Grizzlie, wing).

Hire as many former Knicks as possible. But guys like Oakley and Starks...and hopefully Ewing (Eddy Currys personal coach). Not guys like Longley or Ward or whatever. Guys that made you proud to be a Knick fan.

"Suggest" that the new coach play the young guys as much as possible. "Suggest" that he also has Zach come off the bench as a supersub, so that the starting lineup can be this;

SF- Balkman or Chandler. Energy guy, doesn't need the ball to be effective.

PF- David Lee. Energy guy, fan favorite...start reconnecting to the glory days of the Knicks...when the players really cared.

C- Curry. Good offense, but mostly because of no other options.

PG- Marbury. See Curry.

SG- Crawford. Probably the most talented guy on the team and the future Starting PG. Only need is he needs to realize that talent isn't everything.

Everyone else still on the roster, gets to basically tryout for the remainder of the year.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#4 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:51 pm

I would clearly blow the team up, amass as many picks as I can get, even take some questionable deals aslong as I can get picks and shorter contracts. I would look to find a player to build around, like Derrick Rose at 19 years old.

And I would have a list of things my players need:

Smarts, toughness, defense, attitude...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#5 » by bringinhinkie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 pm

1. keep isiah as coach
2. trade for smush parker
3. bring payton out of retirement
4. sign antoine walker
5. trade for kwame brown
*new lineup*
gp
smush
toine
kwame
jerome james
6. lose every single game (see new lineup above)
7. Fire Isiah
8. Draft Derrick Rose with 1st pick
:D
:D
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#6 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:22 pm

My priorities as GM would be, in order:

1}Shed bad attitude players regardless of contract/add picks
2}Add interior defense