ImageImageImageImageImage

Why didn't the Knicks draft Bynum was a valid question

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RatherUnique24
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Why didn't the Knicks draft Bynum was a valid question 

Post#21 » by RatherUnique24 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:36 pm

randomhero423 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

hindsight is (Please Use More Appropriate Word). any idiot can say ____ should have drafted ____.

NYers do have patientence. we have enoguh patietence to pay tix for this pathetic team. we'd have enough patientence to see how the guy will develop.

There is always hindsight bias especially during these horrible times for the Knicks. Bynum had the potiential, but who really knew he was going to be that good of a player? When the draft picks that IT chose shows flashes of being a good player, IT is dubbed a genius.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#22 » by The Laker Kid » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:09 am

Guys, for as good as the Bynum pick was, our front office also made terrible mistakes during those bad times... anyone wanna talk about the Caron Butler for Kwame Brown trade? :lol:

Also, if the Knickerbockers can get someone like Patrick Ewing to put Andrew Bynum under his tutelage, then I could see him developing well in NY.

Playing alongside Kobe Bryant, being coached by Phil Jackson, and getting mentored by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sure DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#23 » by randomhero423 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:13 am

pat ewing + eddy curry = EC a all-star.
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
JurassicJake
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#24 » by JurassicJake » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:53 am

fimslim3 wrote:Another stupid thread like this, BYNUM is succeeding because they have a coaching staff and a front-office that wants to develop their players, it is more then just raw talent and skill, it's the time a team takes to develop their draft picks. If the Lakers drafted Frye, he would have been good for them as well. We all saw Frye in his rookie season, Brown pushed him to the limits, when he was gone he no longer had that type of discipline. Take a look at Buck Williams when he won rookie of the year under Larry Brown.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#25 » by truth serum » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:21 am

blueNorange wrote:Andrew Bynum
David Lee

*sigh*

:nod:

Let's take it a step further...

Bynum
Amare/Lee

:-?
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#26 » by duetta » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:30 am

Let me put it this way. The majority of Yankee fans that I speak to are willing to give Philip Hughes at least another full season to develop rather than give him to the Twins for the right to pay Santana $20 million a season for an eternity. New Yorkers are patient. It's the moronic writers who cover the teams, and the owners, who are often not patient.

Zeke's instincts about what was necessary have been all wrong from the start. There's no way to sugar coat this.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#27 » by VinnyTheMick » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:37 am

duetta wrote:Let me put it this way. The majority of Yankee fans that I speak to are willing to give Philip Hughes at least another full season to develop rather than give him to the Twins for the right to pay Santana $20 million a season for an eternity. New Yorkers are patient. It's the moronic writers who cover the teams, and the owners, who are often not patient.

Zeke's instincts about what was necessary have been all wrong from the start. There's no way to sugar coat this.

It is a little different, though. Hughes, since he was drafted, has been known as the best pick the Yankees made in a looooong time. He was also called the #1 prospect in all of baseball at one point. Bynum was never hyped up that much.

Also, the Twins want Hughes, the Yankees starting centerfielder & another very good young pitching prospect. Not to mention the contract Santana would command.

Very different situations. Extremely different.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#28 » by PrecociousNeoph » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:31 am

because Frye is a Buffet of Goodness.
“Bye, Felicia.”
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#29 » by mjhp911 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:54 am

PrecociousNeoph wrote:because Frye is a Buffet of Goodness.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! :lol:
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#30 » by duetta » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:54 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:Very different situations. Extremely different.

Not really. The question comes down to: are you willing to allow your young talent to develop or not. Many of us are. Some are not. There's no evidence that I've seen that paints NY as being populated with a higher percentage of "win-now" fans than any other city. Every city has its share of idiots. Because NY is larger, the sheer number of idiots might be larger, but so is the percentage of patient, intelligent fans. In fact, given that NY has a better educated population than most, I'd argue that the percentage of patient fans could be larger.

Bottom line is this: Zeke's argument that he didn't take Bynum because New Yorkers wouldn't be patient is bogus. Owners like Steinbrenner and Dolan have refused to be patient, but the fans better understand what's required to win than the idiots who own the teams (and indeed the sportswriters who always prefer to cover a "competitive" team, and hence bring their own bias to the table).

And one more thing, while I'm on this general subject: will someone please tell Hank Steinbrenner to STFU.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#31 » by realfung » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:57 am

its ok, you cant get all the good players in draft.....
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#32 » by VinnyTheMick » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:11 pm

realfung wrote:its ok, you cant get any of the good players in draft.....

Fixed. I don't think you realize how many players the Knicks have missed out on in the past 15 years because of poor drafting.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein

Return to New York Knicks