ImageImageImageImageImage

Roy Hibbert

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,975

Post#21 » by Fury » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm

He's like a slower Andrew Bogut.
DesignStudio
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by DesignStudio » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:34 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:This is why Im not too excited about this years pick. After the first 3 picks - and those are questions too - and unless Jordan comes in the next best prospect is Hibbert.

Now Hibbert is a great young guy, very skilled, very tall, very hardworking and smart.

however the warning signs are all over him.

Hes slow for todays game, hes not really able to defend outside and hes kind of a player out of time, IMO.

The game has gone from centers like Smits and Longley to centers like Amare and Camby.

You need to be quick and able to defend the perimeter in todays game to play center. How many times have we seen bigs taken out of the game on offense with double teams and on defense with opponents who can shoot from range?

IMO Hibbert cant possibly keep up with todays pace and range, as hard working and skilled as he is.

he will be a very effective player inside however and will give post players fits. He might be a really good help defender and shot blocker off penetration. He could work here, but hes not a #5 overall pick IMO

Hasn't stopped Yao Ming
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#23 » by NYKBaller » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 pm

naah he reminds me of brendan haywood
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Dannyknick
Sophomore

Post#24 » by Dannyknick » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Is Hibbert a good shotblocker?
That is probably the Knicks' most glaring need.
JoeT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#25 » by JoeT » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Dannyknick wrote:Is Hibbert a good shotblocker?
That is probably the Knicks' most glaring need.

If he can ever earn the 25 minutes per game he gets in college in the NBA, I'd expect him to block one, maybe one and a half shots per game. No more than that, though.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#26 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:21 pm

If we want a shot blocker, give me Joey Dorsey...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
AirPaden
Analyst

Post#27 » by AirPaden » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:If we want a shot blocker, give me Joey Dorsey...

Hibbert has about the same amount of blocks in less minutes. I like Hibberts height. We don't need to go back to the Layden era with undersized Centers.
If you think you can you can, Get It Done!
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#28 » by haterade » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Athletically limitted is really not a problem, because he makes up for it by passing the ball, blocking shots, etc. Duncan, Ewing, Kareem and many other bigs who are currently in the hall of fame were not known to be great athletes. Get rid of Curry and draft this young true 7'2" Center. Hire Ewing to continue his development. While at it, get rid of Isiah and all the players he acquired through free agency.

Ewing was an awesome athlete. You talk as if you only saw Ewing play when he had bad knees.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Post#29 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:16 am

Unless the Knicks really, really, REALLY take a tumble in the lottery they'd be absolute chuckleheads to take Hibbert.

The Knicks need a franchise talent first and foremost and while Hibbert is hardly the low ceilinged stiff that some may be portraying him to be, neither is he a high ceilinged franchise talent.

You guys REALLY should see him play and stop reading nbadraft.net...especially if you're going to post your opinion or be so strong about him one way or another. I really get the sense that half of you have never seen him play and yet have already decided he is either better than he is or worse than he is.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#30 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:19 am

Sonics will draft him, because that is what the Sonics do.

I really don't see Hibbert being an effective center in the NBA unless he starts bulking up quickly, I think basically what you see is what you get with Hibbert the same way it was with Emeka. Emeka is basically the same player he was in college, so for a team that needs a Center with average defense, semi above average shot blocking, and a finese game even though he is 7'2, then it is a good pick.

Sonics will take him and make him like the 6th frontline first round pick they have on their roster.

oh btw, every game i watch of Derrick Rose it seems like he gets bigger and stronger. Anyone else notice this?
Immortal King
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by Immortal King » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:21 am

Jemini80 wrote:Sonics will draft him, because that is what the Sonics do.

I really don't see Hibbert being an effective center in the NBA unless he starts bulking up quickly, I think basically what you see is what you get with Hibbert the same way it was with Emeka. Emeka is basically the same player he was in college, so for a team that needs a Center with average defense, semi above average shot blocking, and a finese game even though he is 7'2, then it is a good pick.

Sonics will take him and make him like the 6th frontline first round pick they have on their roster.

oh btw, every game i watch of Derrick Rose it seems like he gets bigger and stronger. Anyone else notice this?
the camera adds 10 pounds
Bringing back that New York swagger
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#32 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 am

DesignStudio wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hasn't stopped Yao Ming
great comparison!

except that Yao is bigger - 7'6" for god's sake -, stronger and more skilled offensively.
DesignStudio
Banned User

Post#33 » by DesignStudio » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:03 am

NoLayupRule wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

great comparison!

except that Yao is bigger - 7'6" for god's sake -, stronger and more skilled offensively.

Great post.....except for you never mention what Yao being a couple of inches shorter has to do with foot speed and failed to talk about how impressive he was in his rookie season
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#34 » by mjhp911 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:46 am

hustlenflow wrote:How bout that 3 pointer he buried yesterday afternoon to win the game? Looked smooth. He's come a long way. He's a hard working big man who's a bit athletically limited, but he's a long 7'2.

I can see a bit of Chris Kaman maybe in terms of NBA comparison, but I haven't seen him play on a regular basis.

Yup, he's kinda' like Kaman-lite. Hibbert will be a SOLID NBA center. He's not going to dazzle you with anything, but he's very fundamentally sound, and a smart player. His duck feet are going to make you wince every time you see his gangly gait though - it's almost painful to watch him run up and down the court. But again, he's solid. He'll probably be a mid first round pick, in the 10 to 20 range. Knowing Zeke, he's probably going to take a flyer on Thabeet, before Hibbert, if we fell to that range and were going to select a center.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#35 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:10 am

AirPaden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hibbert has about the same amount of blocks in less minutes. I like Hibberts height. We don't need to go back to the Layden era with undersized Centers.

Dorsey is 6-9 and he is build like a rock. In terms of strength he has to bow down to nobody. Plus he challenges a lot of shots and is a freakish athlete. He is also a very good defender, stepping out on pick situations, man to man defense, helping out...

In today's game Dorsey isn't undersized.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#36 » by StutterStep » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Think Brad Miller without the tenacity, and that's Hibbert . Last year, I didn't think he would be a top 10 pick, but this year I would take him top 5 because he's shown a willingness to get in shape and he's a team player.

He's never going to be your focal point but if you are trying to put together a balanced team, why not start with a 7footer. I bet Memphis is praying they get him to put with their other young guys.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#37 » by StutterStep » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Did you see Aaron Gray play in that Knicks/Bulls game?

If you did, then you have seen Hibbert.

WTF are you smoking?
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,202

Post#38 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:45 pm

I think Hibbert will be a solid center giving anywhere from 20-30 minutes of good minutes, but I dont think he has a lot of upside.

I think we need to select someone with a little more upside unless we really fall in the draft.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks