ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade or Buyout Stephon?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Trade or Buyout Stephon

Trade Stephon
30%
Buyout Stephon
70%

Total votes: 10

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Trade or Buyout Stephon? 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:30 am

Well, three in a row. Who would have thunk it? It appears that the more that Isiah dumps on Stephon, and the more out-of-favor he is with the organization, the more quickly Isiah is getting back the team. And Jamal is stepping up and taking over. He is now the leader of the team and it's most clutch player.

The question is should be simply buy Stephon out and wait for the money to come off the cap after next year or trade him (assuming that's even possible; though I'm sure for the right team his ankle will get better very quickly) for someone else's garbage?
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#2 » by bringinhinkie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:33 am

id rather trade him next offseason, when he'll be a huge expiring who can still contribute, meaning we might be able to get something for him.. if not jus let him expire here

on the other hand, this same squad sucked without steph for a large stretch, its more of balk/lee/nate/craw stepping up and currys lesser role than no steph imo
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,120

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:34 am

Depends on what they'd be trading him for.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 am

moocow007 wrote:Depends on what they'd be trading him for.

I know. I just can't imagine any team giving up anything real for him. That being the case, wouldn't we just be better off with him outta here? Maybe, the team can then mentally move on (which they seem to embrace if these last three games are any indication).
king_k4life
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by king_k4life » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 am

Trade him for a SF like Gerald Wallace or Iggy and make their deals expire the same time as Curry's or Zach's
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:46 am

king_k4life wrote:Trade him for a SF like Gerald Wallace or Iggy and make their deals expire the same time as Curry's or Zach's

Why would Charlotte want to get rid of Wallace? Didn't they just sign him this past off-season to a long-term deal?

Now, Igoudala may be possible if the Sixers want to start all over which has been speculated. Would you guys do Steph for Igoudala and maybe a bad Sixer contract (the contracts have to add up, right?)?
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#7 » by EnigmatiC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:54 am

If we could send him home until we find a good deal and if nothing good comes, then just let him expire or buy him out whatever just get his ass away from this organization.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#8 » by mjhp911 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 am

I think we should see what the market has to offer first. The NBA's two biggest stars, Kobe and LBJ, become free agents in the summer of '09. Guess who's 22 million expires that summer? That's right. Any team wanting to shed big bucks for those two, would find Steph's deal attractive. Let's see what teams have to offer this deadline, and this summer, to determine what we should do. If no one REALLY attractive gets offered, we might be better off just buying him out (or Penny-ing him for the season and just let him slide off our cap - another attractive name might also be offered at next season's trade deadline).
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#9 » by bringinhinkie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:04 am

king_k4life wrote:Trade him for a SF like Gerald Wallace or Iggy and make their deals expire the same time as Curry's or Zach's

:roll: r u high?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#10 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 am

mjhp911 wrote:I think we should see what the market has to offer first. The NBA's two biggest stars, Kobe and LBJ, become free agents in the summer of '09. Guess who's 22 million expires that summer? That's right. Any team wanting to shed big bucks for those two, would find Steph's deal attractive. Let's see what teams have to offer this deadline, and this summer, to determine what we should do. If no one REALLY attractive gets offered, we might be better off just buying him out (or Penny-ing him for the season and just let him slide off our cap - another attractive name might also be offered at next season's trade deadline).

Excellent points. Agreed.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#11 » by BasicBall » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:21 am

Let that selfish F**K have his surgery, he will be playing for his last contract next season so I'd expect him to be on his best behavior...If he opts for the surgery now, just deal him either during the summer (unlikely) or just let his deal expire on our clock!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,120

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 am

Wingy22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I know. I just can't imagine any team giving up anything real for him. That being the case, wouldn't we just be better off with him outta here? Maybe, the team can then mentally move on (which they seem to embrace if these last three games are any indication).

Probably.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:35 am

BasicBall wrote:Let that selfish F**K have his surgery, he will be playing for his last contract next season so I'd expect him to be on his best behavior...If he opts for the surgery now, just deal him either during the summer (unlikely) or just let his deal expire on our clock!

Maybe I'm wrong (and if he's truly hurt, then I'll be the first to apologize) but I'd be surprised if he had surgery. I just think this is a way for him not to play. Isiah has been dis-ing in the press and our players are responding. You can tell he's not happy. He publicly sulking on the bench.

It seems that the more Isiah publicly dumps on Marbury, the better our team plays. Very interesting.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#14 » by mjhp911 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:37 am

Wingy22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe I'm wrong (and if he's truly hurt, then I'll be the first to apologize) but I'd be surprised if he had surgery. I just think this is a way for him not to play. Isiah has been dis-ing in the press and our players are responding. You can tell he's not happy. He publicly sulking on the bench.

It seems that the more Isiah publicly dumps on Marbury, the better our team plays. Very interesting.

If Zeke flogging an Escapegoatbury is what's inspiring our team, then keep cracking that whip, Mr. West Side! :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:45 am

mjhp911 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If Zeke flogging an Escapegoatbury is what's inspiring our team, then keep cracking that whip, Mr. West Side! :lol:

Well, you know Isiah lost the team when he screwed them over and decided to play "Escapegoatbury" after he the team vote in Phoenix and they voted that Stephon shouldn't play and then Isiah played him. The team just stopped playing for him at that point. And now . . . well, everybody's diving for loose balls, stepping in and taking charges. And winning games. Amazing.

Return to New York Knicks