ImageImageImageImageImage

The Marbury Theory

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

ilovenewyork
Junior
And1: 29

The Marbury Theory 

Post#1 » by ilovenewyork » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 am

Ok ok...maybe i'm speaking too soon BUT remember the theory on how every team that Steph leaves automatically becomes better??? I mean me, personally, never felt it was true and just a series of unfortunate events for marbury that made him look like such a cancer. I always thought he did a admirable job in Phoenix almost knocking off the Spurs one season. It might be too early to tell but maybe losing Marbury was the key to a possible turn around. Me, personally would rather tank the season to have a shot at a real home grown prospect in Rose, Jordan, or Beasley( not really, kind of reminds me of a glen robinson/randolph mix) BUT i mean it really looks as if steph is done as a knicks for good and if that means we start to play to our potential and win games then i'm all for it!! Steph is gone i'm almost 200% positive he will be shipped out before he has the chance to don the orange and blue again which is sad considering his situation but he's gone over the line with his actions i must admit, SO does that mean the curse has been lifted and were gonna be good again???? What do you guys think?? :pray: :pray:
siro
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#2 » by siro » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:32 am

Our record 6-8 when Marbury is not playing, which isn't much of an upgrade. We have been winning because of passing (23+apg in last 3 wins) less turnovers (10tpg) and playing some defense (87ppg opponents in last 3 wins)
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#3 » by Da_Mane_Man » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 am

it does seem like we got better when marbury left but i don't know if i wanna say that just yet. it could very well just be a coincidence. he's been hurt before and he's missed games before and we have still sucked, so why should it be different now?

that being said however, it DOES look like this group is coming together and trusting each other and marbury doesn't seem to be a part of it. that could be because he's hurt and doesn't feel part of the team or that could just be because of the phoenix incident and he's really NOT a part of the group anymore.

either way, it certainly looks like he's done here and it's a shame. he could never make the adjustment of not being the focal point of the offense. even though he tried, you can tell he wasn't ever comfortable with it by the comment he made again recently about being paid the kind of money he got paid to be a scorer. iverson went to denver where carmelo is the focal point of the offense and his assist numbers went up, but he's still getting his in the point department. i guess our team is built different with a bunch of scorers at every position so it's not the same situation, but it still feels like the fit was never right.

it will be interesting to see what happens when he recovers from the ankle surgery. if we're playing well, will isiah put him back in the starting lineup and possibly disrupt the chemistry? will he bench him for the rest of the year?
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#4 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:05 pm

We have been winning because Curry is not a big part of the offense anymore. I don't know if Isiah is using Curry as a way to destroy Marbury, because whenever Marbury is in the game, Isiah makes it a point to dump the ball in the low post to Curry 90% of the time. Isiah uses Curry as a way to punish Marbury.
VISIT: www.ltravelsite.com for some excellent travel deals and a lot more. Simply click the (Cruises) tab, scroll down to (Great Travel Deals); click (Last Minute Getaways), under Browse by Budget, click (Under $250.00 Deals).
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#5 » by NYKnick87 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:17 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:We have been winning because Curry is not a big part of the offense anymore. I don't know if Isiah is using Curry as a way to destroy Marbury, because whenever Marbury is in the game, Isiah makes it a point to dump the ball in the low post to Curry 90% of the time. Isiah uses Curry as a way to punish Marbury.

:rofl:
EL CABRITO
Starter
And1: 133

Post#6 » by EL CABRITO » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 pm

This thread is interesting, but while Marbury may be a great player he doesn't seem to really embrace whats going on here, he is such a big baby, when he's not playing we're playing TEAM BALL ,passing, dishing and swishing...I don't know, maybe our confidence is better without him, so perhaps our guys will do fine. If anything we'll miss him getting those freethrows for us. But we can do w/o the sulking and the me first stuff. It's not fair. It's been nothing but a circus here with him and Zeke.
If you have no critics you'll likely have no success.
O Poutsokleftis
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by O Poutsokleftis » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 pm

He's a malaka....Marbury is a selfish player who off the court everyone can not stand. That's why the players don't want to play with him.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#8 » by BasicBall » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Stephon is borderline (Please Use More Appropriate Word), I sincerely believe this! How can you see the same things happen over & over again and not adjust your attitude? It is mindboggling that this guy just does not get it!

You can make all the excuses you want for him (not being a true pg, being more of a scorer, being more aggressive, stop feeding Eddy in the post, whatever) the fact of the matter is this, he bailed on the team this season, I dont care what went on prior or after, that Phoenix fiasco is all I needed (game 1 in Cleveland was a real eye-opener as well) to convince me that Stephon is about Stephon and for that reason alone the sooner we rid ourselves of that selfish mentality, that losing mentality the better off this team will be!

Winning is about sacrifice first and foremost, Stephon Marbury will never be about sacrificing!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
Pistol Pete Vescey
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Pistol Pete Vescey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:30 pm

BasicBall wrote:Stephon is borderline (Please Use More Appropriate Word), I sincerely believe this!

I do think that if steph took an IQ test his result would place him in the "mentally (Please Use More Appropriate Word)" zone.

From Wikipedia:

Mental retardation is a term for a pattern of persistently slow learning of basic motor and language skills ("milestones") during childhood, and a significantly below-normal global intellectual capacity as an adult. One common criterion for diagnosis of mental retardation is a tested intelligence quotient (IQ) of 70 or below and deficits in adaptive functioning

Does this sound like Steph to you guys too?

SIGNS:

* have trouble speaking
* find it hard to remember things
* have trouble understanding social rules
* have trouble discerning cause and effect
* have trouble solving problems
* have trouble thinking logically.
* persistence of infantile behaviour.
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#10 » by rrosario35 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Pistol Pete Vescey wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

please dont quote Wikipedia when refering to things such as retardation.
I'm sure its correct but... wikipedia?
you couldnt get something a lil more credible?

Return to New York Knicks