ImageImageImageImageImage

I see Derrick Rose less of a franchise guy and more...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#21 » by cmaff051 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Rajon Rondo didn't and never will have the upside and potential to be the #2 pick in the draft. Rose is quicker, he's more athletic, he's got better handles and his upside is bigger than anything Rondo could ever dream of..
king_k4life
Banned User

Re: I see Derrick Rose less of a franchise guy and more... 

Post#22 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rondo is averaging about 5 assists a game. Not terrible, but with Ray, Garnett and Pierce around him??? Great defensive point guard, but not a great distributor nor shooter.

Didn't Rose average 4 ?
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#23 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:16 pm

i read articles about Rondo passing up open layups and being cursed/praised by Rivers. I see him all the time cause he is a Celtic I know his game..

Plus I have a Celtics dynasty in 2k8

So he is a good player because he passes up OPEN layups? That is the most (Please Use More Appropriate Word) thing i have ever heard.

He is a good scorer...but doesnt have the confidence to hit a layup? Comon now...He is not a good scorer..He is a defensive player...thats it

If i were to be a coach...and if i EVER seen a player pass up an OPEN layup...i would tear into him...I have heard about unselfish...but that is just STUPID
DaGoodz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#24 » by DaGoodz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Wow, this shows how much people over rate Rose. Rose has shown nothing this year besides being a pg who is hesitate to take over a game on offense, good defense, and sets up his teamates occasionally. Which is lot like Rajon Rondo.
A more athletic Rondo isn't a bad thing
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#25 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 pm

he is playing for Memphis which does not allow a PG to run a traditional offensive set. Their game plan is basically like the Suns, except instead of letting Nash push the ball, their whole team pushes the ball which cuts into Rose's PG ability.

Rondo sucks which is why Sam I Am is begging to be traded to the Celtics because he knows how much better he is than Rondo.

Rondo cannot shoot, and does not choose to be a pass-first PG, he is forced to be.

it is funny that no one talks about the fact that both Wade and LBJ couldn't shoot for **** when they were drafted, but i guess we don't expect players to improve on the aspect of the game that is the easiest to improve.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,077

Post#26 » by blueNorange » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:25 pm

king_k4life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Didn't Rose average 4 ?
In a european motion offense where the ball is in his hands 30% of the time. When he comes to the NBA, he's gonna have the ball more.

Watch college games before you start comparing players, seriously.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#27 » by XcalibuR » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:37 pm

This is almost as stupid as the guy who said Wilson Chandler was better then Kevin Durant.
king_k4life
Banned User

Post#28 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 pm

Jemini80 wrote:
it is funny that no one talks about the fact that both Wade and LBJ couldn't shoot for **** when they were drafted, but i guess we don't expect players to improve on the aspect of the game that is the easiest to improve.

You forget this is the NY Knicks...
slamvangundy
Starter
And1: 4

Post#29 » by slamvangundy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Didn't Rose average 4 ?

-1. Don't look at Rose's assists. Look at how he plays the game.
Stats won't tell you everything about a player. Yes, Rose is averaging 4 but in a memphis system that involves the type of team ball movement that makes it hard for one player to get the majority of assists.

Still, he looks raw. I'm not concerned though because his physical talent alone is enough to let him play a dominant game, and he is clearly a very mature, unselfish player. If he is as hard a worker as everyone says, he will be a student of the game and have a good chance to become VERY valuable in the NBA.

-2. Don't diss rajon. People (not king obviously) here are talking as if Rajon is just some so so role player benefiting from playing next to the big 3. But no other guard has been able to come close to doing what Rajon has been doing. It's no accident that the Celtics three losses in four games earlier this month coincided with Rajon's hamstring injury. In the Charlotte loss, Rajon was forced to play despite the injury, because Ray Allen was unable to play. In the back to back wizards losses Rajon averaged 10 minutes per game. In the detroit loss, the Pistons were able to take advantage and get their lead only when Rajon was out.

-3. As good as rose looks, it's still no sure bet.

I'm not sure I really agree with what king said (cause I'm not sure exactly what he was trying to say), but people are guaranteeing that Rose is going to be an MVP type player. It's ok to admit we don't know. While he looks like he might be one of the best pg prospects to be coming out of college, with all these players, we are making informed bets when we draft them. Darko Milicic truly looked like the second coming of garnett before he hit the NBA. Michael Olokawandi, Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Darius Miles, Jonathan Bender and a billion other players have become busts, whether because of health problems or talent defeciencies. There are no sure things.
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#30 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Bender's career was ruined by injuries.

and wtf is up with everyone dissing Darko. He is still on the same pace as some other players drafted when they were 18 like O'neal where they will develop when they get minutes.

Guys need to watch Darko play before they start dissing him. Yes he shouldn't have been drafted before Bosh, Melo, and Wade but he is still going to be a very good player in this league. He has bulked up an insane amount in the past year and will be a top 5 center in the league playing how a real center should.
king_k4life
Banned User

Post#31 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:45 pm

blueNorange wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

In a european motion offense where the ball is in his hands 30% of the time. When he comes to the NBA, he's gonna have the ball more.

Watch college games before you start comparing players, seriously.

If he was a good enough PG he would keep the ball and be placed in the best position for Memphis to succeed...
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#32 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:49 pm

^^^^

you know nothing about John C. the way he runs his team and the way college basketball works. That is not true at all.

people just don't really understand how good Memphis is, but they will understand when they run through the tournament. Rose is the freshman on the team, the older members basically control the team like Douglas-Roberts, he is the biggest problem because he takes away opportunities from Rose.

oh and no one has said that Rose isn't raw, i think everyone can agree on that. He will not help the team he is drafted immediately, but he will still be the best player out of this draft in the long run. I don't really know why you shy away from a player because a lack of immediate impact, there is not one player in this draft that can get us to the playoffs next year immediately.
king_k4life
Banned User

Post#33 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Jemini80 wrote:^^^^

you know nothing about John C. the way he runs his team and the way college basketball works. That is not true at all.

people just don't really understand how good Memphis is, but they will understand when they run through the tournament. Rose is the freshman on the team, the older members basically control the team like Douglas-Roberts, he is the biggest problem because he takes away opportunities from Rose.

oh and no one has said that Rose isn't raw, i think everyone can agree on that. He will not help the team he is drafted immediately, but he will still be the best player out of this draft in the long run. I don't really know why you shy away from a player because a lack of immediate impact, there is not one player in this draft that can get us to the playoffs next year immediately.

I saw Memphis face UCLA and Dulke face someone else in a double header 2 years ago..

So Ha !
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#34 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Didn't Rose average 4 ?

A couple of things:

1. Rose is in College
2. I wasn't comparing him to Rose.

I'm purely talking about Rondo.
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#35 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Derrick Rose is a freshman, 2 years ago he was taking his SATS. Calipari (sp) has had the same system and the same style throughout his career, one of the reasons he failed in the pros. He isn't going to change his system for anyone, he gets players to come because they want to play in an uptempo exciting system.
king_k4life
Banned User

Post#36 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

A couple of things:

1. Rose is in College
2. I wasn't comparing him to Rose.

I'm purely talking about Rondo.

Come on Jarred Frickin Jordan averaged 11 for 2 years

It is Easier to produce in College than the NBA
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#37 » by Jemini80 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:57 pm

some people just keep displaying their ignorance. It is easier to produce in college if your team is structured around your style of play. Memphis is a system, a system that does not change no matter who is on the roster.
king_k4life
Banned User

Post#38 » by king_k4life » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:58 pm

Jemini80 wrote:some people just keep displaying their ignorance. It is easier to produce in college if your team is structured around your style of play. Memphis is a system, a system that does not change no matter who is on the roster.

Well i never seen him in high school so I'm saying ...

4 assist is pathetic for a Pure PG
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#39 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:00 pm

Come on Jarred Frickin Jordan averaged 11 for 2 years

It is Easier to produce in College than the NBA

I'm just saying that Rondo should be doing more with the big three in the assist column. He shoots 45%, not terrible, but I think if you remove his inside points he is pathetic from the outside. His 20 something % 3 point shooting is a hint at that.

I don't see why you brought up Jarred Jordan? I'm talking about Rondo on that team. Albeit he is probably doing so much on D that it sort of compensates for his lack of offense, especially with the big three, hence he is a contributor. Imagine the kid if he could shoot and distribute? (But we can say similar things about players that we have)
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#40 » by bringinhinkie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:51 pm

[quote="

Return to New York Knicks