ImageImageImageImageImage

LB- MSG Had "Spies On Me"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

LB- MSG Had "Spies On Me" 

Post#1 » by mugzi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 am

NEW YORK -- Coaching the New York Knicks made Larry Brown feel like he was being watched.

Brown accused the Knicks of having "spies throughout the arena" during his one season with the team in a story in the February issue of "Philadelphia" magazine.

Brown also complained about the way he was treated by the organization.

"Imagine when you get to work, they don't talk to you," he said. "They had security people standing close to me in press conferences, and spies throughout the arena."

Brown coached the Knicks to a 23-59 record during the 2005-06 season, one of the worst in franchise history. But his firing had more to do with his refusal to follow Madison Square Garden's strict media policies than his poor won-loss record.

Brown publicly criticized his players, especially Stephon Marbury, and gave roadside interviews to the team's beat writers after the season. Garden policy requires a coach talking to the media to have a public relations official present.

Because he violated the policies, MSG chairman James Dolan refused to pay the remaining four years and about $40 million that remained on Brown's contract. Instead, they settled for $18.5 million after hearings with NBA commissioner David Stern.

Madison Square Garden declined to comment on Brown's claims.

Brown has since returned to Philadelphia, serving as an executive vice president with the 76ers. He led the Sixers to the NBA finals in 2001.

He said he had no interest in replacing current coach Maurice Cheeks because he "could never stab Mo in the back like that."

"I still want to coach," Brown said. "I don't want to coach here. I don't want it to end the way it did in New York. I don't wish that on anybody."

LB still peeing on us. Now Im sure all the coaches/GM's worth hiring after Isiahgate are going to be lining up to come here.

Even if it was true shut ya fckin mouth LB. You got 25 million for 1 years work you ungrateful prik.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Jemini80 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:17 am

we would be in a MUCH better situation now if Dolan had given Larry Brown Isiah's job like he wanted.
•Hustle Harder•
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by •Hustle Harder• » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 am

We should of kept LB plain and simple.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#4 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 am

Oh boo hoo larry brown. everyone is always conspiring against you.

come one people. now we are pineing for brown to come back? cant you people even remember 2 seasons ago at the fiasco he was?
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#5 » by StutterStep » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 am

Thank goodness we spied on him and caught him before he wrecked more havoc... yes, LB: "big brother (Dolan) is watching you."
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#6 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:21 am

I see no reason for Larry to lie about this. MSG's media policy is so antiquated, arcane, intrusive and not normal and we've known that for a while. The way Dolan runs this entire operation, from the top to the bottom, is a disgrace.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#7 » by TKF » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:21 am

I beleive brown. MSG has no credibility..

Brown should have been given the keys to run this franchise, too bad it was given to Isiah and the molestation of MSG was in full effect when brown got there...
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#8 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 am

NoLayupRule wrote:Oh boo hoo larry brown. everyone is always conspiring against you.

come one people. now we are pineing for brown to come back? cant you people even remember 2 seasons ago at the fiasco he was?

It's been an even bigger fiasco this year. And Larry Brown has a track record of success in the coaching business, Isiah doesn't.
•Hustle Harder•
Banned User

Post#9 » by •Hustle Harder• » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:23 am

TKF wrote:I beleive brown. MSG has no credibility..

Brown should have been given the keys to run this franchise, too bad it was given to Isiah and the molestation of MSG was in full effect when brown got there...

Isiah's 10 year plan is still in progress. :rofl:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#10 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:23 am

StutterStep wrote:Thank goodness we spied on him and caught him before he wrecked more havoc... yes, LB: "big brother (Dolan) is watching you."

The damage that Larry caused is nothing compared to the Isiah rampage that we've dealt with over the past 4 and a half years, and especially this year..
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#11 » by duetta » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:26 am

Larry needs to explain why he can't get another job.

Why oh why do GMs not named Isiah now refuse to trust him?
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#12 » by StutterStep » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am

TKF wrote:I beleive brown. MSG has no credibility..

No, Larry has proven to be a fickle person in all of his stops throughout his career. The MSG media policy has nothing to do with him personally; just the organization's rules.

How would you like someone you hired trying to take your job within months of his hiring? IT is not the reason Brown got fired. Brown was the reason.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#13 » by mugzi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am

Would we be much better off with LB over Isiah?

Larry is a much brighter b-ball mind than Isiah no question. But he's also a dinosaur and preaches a style that sadly doesnt exist in the league now- thanks to Sterns pussification of the league.

Heres a guy who advocated the Francis deal- thought Ariza was a bum, gaveLEE no burn and wanted guys like Eric Snow and Ratliff.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:29 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's been an even bigger fiasco this year. And Larry Brown has a track record of success in the coaching business, Isiah doesn't.

So? both suck. why isnt that the answer?

Honestly you think Larry Brown - with his constant self-engrandizing speeches to the press and his constant public humiliation of players - would have been the guy to give the franchise over to?

his track record? you must also include his track record of bailing on every team hes coached once things got hard. or you must also mean his track record of sabotaging his young guys and isolating his stars

Brown did terrible things to this franchise. Lets not pretend he was right
hoodie©
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#15 » by hoodie© » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:30 am

LAWL @ that senile f*ck, Doesn't MSG have the PR/Security folks standing next to them in most interviews?

Anucha was the one spying on you Larry.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#16 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:34 am

mugzi wrote:Would we be much better off with LB over Isiah?

Larry is a much brighter b-ball mind than Isiah no question. But he's also a dinosaur and preaches a style that sadly doesnt exist in the league now- thanks to Sterns pussification of the league.

Heres a guy who advocated the Francis deal- thought Ariza was a bum, gaveLEE no burn and wanted guys like Eric Snow and Ratliff.

thank you, well said.

also had zero faith in nate
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#17 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:37 am

NoLayupRule wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So? both suck. why isnt that the answer?

Honestly you think Larry Brown - with his constant self-engrandizing speeches to the press and his constant public humiliation of players - would have been the guy to give the franchise over to?

his track record? you must also include his track record of bailing on every team hes coached once things got hard. or you must also mean his track record of sabotaging his young guys and isolating his stars

Brown did terrible things to this franchise. Lets not pretend he was right

Larry's coaching track record doesn't consist of suck. Isiah Thomas's coaching track record - and hell, everything he's done since his HOF playing career ended - has consisted of suck.

Would anybody be complaining if, after 5 or so winning seasons, Larry bolted? No. Because we would be better off, we would have a better future, we would have cap flexibility, we would have players who played hard. Instead, we are stuck with Isiah and his perenially mediocre rosters of overpaid underachievers.

Brown was here one year. He did terrible things to this franchise for 1 year. Isiah has been here for 4.5 years. He has done terrible things to this franchise for 5 years and counting.

We never saw Larry's plan come to fruition. We have seen Isiah's plan come to fruition, and it has been consistent mediocrity year after year. Given Larry's track record of success, I'd be willing to giving him the benefit of the doubt, since he actually earned everything he has done as a coach, compared to Isiah who got every job after his hall of fame playing career not due to his qualifications but due to the fact that his name was Isiah Thomas.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#18 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:37 am

NoLayupRule wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

thank you, well said.

also had zero faith in nate

He was also right about Curry and Marbury. But of course he doesn't get credit for that.
HeyJimmy
Banned User

Post#19 » by HeyJimmy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:38 am

mugzi wrote:Would we be much better off with LB over Isiah?

Well first of all, Larry wasn't the GM, Isiah was so Steve Francis falls on him. Otherwise why the heck was Isiah even there? What job did he serve?

Secondly, Larry's coaching style isn't the problem, it's the idiots who he coaches.

Larry gives his point guard freedom on almost every trip up the floor to call their own plays. Read and react. Thats the point guards job. On defense, well just man up and play D. It really is that simple. Unfortunately we have such a lousy team that 2 hall of fame coaches couldn't make it work.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#20 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:44 am

And let me say this, it just amazes me how the usual suspects (NLR, StutterStep) time after time defend the way MSG runs their business. The sleazy way it ran out Don Chaney was evidence enough of how low this company is willing to go to enact its media policy. But time after time the blame falls solely on Larry Brown, and everybody turns their head and pretends that MSG is innocent. Some of you really need to get a clue, the way MSG runs its business is not acceptable and never has been.

Return to New York Knicks