ImageImageImageImageImage

We should really consider a trade for Artest.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knick 4ever
RealGM
And1: 1

We should really consider a trade for Artest. 

Post#1 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 pm

He killed the Nets last night, and he has been playing well since he returned from his elbow surgery. The Knicks really need two trades: one for Artest and another for a PG like Ridnour. Offer them Curry and see if that would work. They normally say don't ever trade big for small, but Curry plays like a guard as a big man. Curry for Ridnour, Petro and a draft pick.

We need to accumulate as many picks as possible, and we need to make a decision about Morris. Curry is not the answer at Center and I am sure Isiah has finally figured that out by now.
VISIT: www.ltravelsite.com for some excellent travel deals and a lot more. Simply click the (Cruises) tab, scroll down to (Great Travel Deals); click (Last Minute Getaways), under Browse by Budget, click (Under $250.00 Deals).
lbcknickfan
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#2 » by lbcknickfan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:25 pm

I want Artest as well. He punished the Nets. He posted up Carter and Jefferson. He guarded them both and made them have to TRY and guard him. Even on a bad night he will at least score in double digits and defend. Teams will at least have to guard him instead of triple team the postmen.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#3 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:41 pm

I know that many around here want to keep Lee or Balkman, but a decision must be made to let one of them go, especially if we will be able to get a draft pick in return. Lee is nice, please don't get me wrong, but Artest is already a star that plays at both ends of the court. Artest is the freak of nature that the Knicks really need. Lee and Morris or Lee and Collins for Artest and a draft pick.
VISIT: www.ltravelsite.com for some excellent travel deals and a lot more. Simply click the (Cruises) tab, scroll down to (Great Travel Deals); click (Last Minute Getaways), under Browse by Budget, click (Under $250.00 Deals).
peruanaso
Starter

Post#4 » by peruanaso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Artest is also a ticking time bomb...no matter how talented he is, you can't rely on him, so overpaying for him is not wise.
-steez- wrote:Cockadoodledoo f*ckers. Gallo is putting in work...
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#5 » by Daaaarryyl » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:46 pm

peruanaso wrote:Artest is also a ticking time bomb...no matter how talented he is, you can't rely on him, so overpaying for him is not wise.

I agree but if he'll sign here for the exeption I'd definately consider it. The issue here is giving up assets like D Lee to secure a player that can be had for nothing in a few months. I'd rather get a top 3 pick (we ain't making the players IMHO anyway) then re-tool in the summer where we may be able to sign Artest, make a few deals and secure a very high choice.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#6 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree but if he'll sign here for the exeption I'd definately consider it. The issue here is giving up assets like D Lee to secure a player that can be had for nothing in a few months. I'd rather get a top 3 pick (we ain't making the players IMHO anyway) then re-tool in the summer where we may be able to sign Artest, make a few deals and secure a very high choice.

If we don't trade for Artest, he will never come to us for the MLE. I am telling you guys right now, Artest will have much nicer offer if he is a FA and we once again will fail to acquire him. Sometimes, you have to give talent to get talent, especially if we can manage to get a draft pick in return. Lee is a special player, but he is not better than Artest. That said, I would trade Lee in a heart beat for Artest. I would offer Nate and Balkman first, but if they refuse, I would give them Lee.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#7 » by Daaaarryyl » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:12 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we don't trade for Artest, he will never come to us for the MLE. I am telling you guys right now, Artest will have much nicer offer if he is a FA and we once again will fail to acquire him. Sometimes, you have to give talent to get talent, especially if we can manage to get a draft pick in return. Lee is a special player, but he is not better than Artest. That said, I would trade Lee in a heart beat for Artest. I would offer Nate and Balkman first, but if they refuse, I would give them Lee.

I totally see your point and if a draft pick was coming our way I would do it. But I'm not sure Sac would surrender their #1.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#8 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I totally see your point and if a draft pick was coming our way I would do it. But I'm not sure Sac would surrender their #1.

It doesn't really have to be this year's #1 draft pick. A smart GM would also dealing for a future #1 as well. You can always use that draft pick to negotiate another better deal.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#9 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Im glad someone finally brought Artest up. Hes been so off the radar lately.

{I do agree however that the time is now. Hes opting out this summer. Fine. But there will be a lot of teams after him and many will have more $ to offer with less drama.}

Id do this
Trade ID #4430572

Artest, K Thomas, J Williams

for

Zach, Balkman, F Jones

we send a lot more talent to Sac than they send to us but we also shed Zach's salary and dont lose a pick
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#10 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:32 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:Im glad someone finally brought Artest up. Hes been so off the radar lately.

{I do agree however that the time is now. Hes opting out this summer. Fine. But there will be a lot of teams after him and many will have more $ to offer with less drama.}

Id do this
Trade ID #4430572

Artest, K Thomas, J Williams

for

Zach, Balkman, F Jones

we send a lot more talent to Sac than they send to us but we also shed Zach's salary and dont lose a pick

How do you solve our problem when the soft hearted Curry is still on the roster? I don't understand. Whatever deal we make we MUST find a way to get rid of Curry as well.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Jemini80 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:39 pm

well considering your solution is to trade for THE WORST DEFENDING GUARD IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, I'd rather still have Curry here than have to watch Ridnour play.

You would rather Curry be here too, so you can bitch about him instead of having to actually realize how bad luke is.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#12 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm

Jemini80 wrote:well considering your solution is to trade for THE WORST DEFENDING GUARD IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, I'd rather still have Curry here than have to watch Ridnour play.

You would rather Curry be here too, so you can bitch about him instead of having to actually realize how bad luke is.

Luke is a playmaker, Curry is not. Luke can run an offense, which in return can help maximize the talent on the roster. Can Curry's play help make others better?
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#13 » by rpa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:51 pm

It doesn't really have to be this year's #1 draft pick. A smart GM would also dealing for a future #1 as well. You can always use that draft pick to negotiate another better deal.

If the Kings trade Artest it would be to rebuild; rebuilding teams don't trade future picks unless they're getting franchise type players back or they're just flat out stupid (e.g. Atlanta in the Joe Johnson deal). None of the players the Knicks would give up are franchise caliber and Geoff Petrie has proven for years that he's far from stupid.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#14 » by Knick 4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:56 pm

rpa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If the Kings trade Artest it would be to rebuild; rebuilding teams don't trade future picks unless they're getting franchise type players back or they're just flat out stupid (e.g. Atlanta in the Joe Johnson deal). None of the players the Knicks would give up are franchise caliber and Geoff Petrie has proven for years that he's far from stupid.

I know Petrie is a smart GM, but I still believe that we can find us a draft pick if we are smart. I would even go for a second round draft pick. Keep in mind that Isiah wasted our second round when he drafted Nichols and let him walk. We have to make up for those mistakes.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#15 » by rpa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:02 pm

I know Petrie is a smart GM, but I still believe that we can find us a draft pick if we are smart. I would even go for a second round draft pick. Keep in mind that Isiah wasted our second round when he drafted Nichols and let him walk. We have to make up for those mistakes.

Still not seeing the Kings give up a pick. Consider that in just about any Artest trade with the Knicks the Kings are giving up the most talent. Second, any "the Kings should be desperate to get something back for him" argument is canceled out by 2 things:
1) A team like the Knicks doesn't have any leg up on any of the contenders or possible contenders that would want Artest. So if the Knicks are desperate for Artest then that alone should do away with the Kings alleged desperation
2) In a more general form: the Kings hold Artest's bird rights and all the teams that will make a run at him will be over the cap. The chances of a sign and trade with Artest are quite high. Thus it would seem that the Kings may not be worried at all.

Back to the point. If anything I'd think it'd be the Knicks giving up the pick in a deal for Artest.
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#16 » by haterade » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:22 pm

If the Kings give up Sac, they'll want certain things. Young talent on their rookie contracts, draft picks, and expiring contracts. I seriously doubt they'll give up their draft pick. I don't think Seattle will give up a draft pick either. They are still looking for pieces to put around Durant. And the way PJ coaches he wants defensive minded players, you can see that by him starting Watson over Ridnour.

Return to New York Knicks