ImageImageImageImageImage

Hasheem Thabeet

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#41 » by Smoke24 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:22 am

Slimpack wrote:I like thabeet too. I'd draft him before drafting Roy Hibbert. Although as of right now, I'd actually draft Darren Collison before Thabeet. I could be mistaken thinking that though.

Well Hibbert's draft stock has gone up because he hit that 3 pointer against UCONN :( , but I think if he was more skilled at the offensive end and up to the task, he could average a triple double for the huskies (pts, rebs, blks) and if the huskies keep winning he will be a big part of it (literally).
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#42 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:20 am

Thabeet is a true shotblocker something this Knicks defense need.
big ryan
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#43 » by big ryan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:53 am

i'd rather get joey dorsey later in the draft....
the brothers gruff...who can phuk with the 3 of us?
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#44 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:10 am

big ryan wrote:i'd rather get joey dorsey later in the draft....

Me too, we would still have our high pick this way...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#45 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:35 am

I_Love_NYK wrote:Thabeet is a true shotblocker something this Knicks defense need.

jerome james is also a true shotblocker, a really good one actually. do the knicks need him though?
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#46 » by Jemini80 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm

An in shape Jerome James is a top 5 center in the league. That is why it is so sad, because he just doesn't care. He has all the skill, offensive and defensive, he is just too happy. Someone needs to get him angry.

someone will be like, well Curry would be a top 5 center if he was in shape, no. curry isn't that fat, I mean he looks fat on TV, but i doubt his body fat is higher than like 15%. Jerome james is just a slob with great talent. Damn Oliver Miller v2.0. oh and Curry has never shown signs of being a good defender.

On Thabeet, I don't want him on my team if he has that stupid ass hair cut. I'd rather lose.
arenas809
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Post#47 » by arenas809 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Brad Lohaus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thabeet is playing in college (where we can watch him) and Saer played in Europe?

You didn't see Saer in the Hoop Summit, after that game his stock went through the roof, that is why he declared for the draft.

Dude put up 15 points and 9 blocks in 27 minutes against guys who are now top college talents and NBA rookies.

I'm sure he could have had a couple 30-20 games in college against the Savannah States of the world and been a dominant force for a school in a good conference.

That still doesn't change that he was completely a project.

Thabeet is nothing more than a Sene at this point.

I'll give credit to Jim Calhoun for developing big men that become good enough to at least become pros.

The last UCONN guy we heard all this "he's improved so much" slobbering over was Hilton Armstrong.

Dude hasn't done jack **** in the NBA.

All these UCONN bigs are offensively challenged, sure they put up numbers in college, but when they become to the pros they're offensive liabilities, and unlike college, NBA players have game, it's not so easy to just catch two feet from the basket and flush.

Ultimately if the Knicks have a top 5 pick, I want a guy with talent. You don't use top 5 picks on projects, and using college numbers to evaluate how good of a player a guy is going to be in the NBA has been proven faulty year after year after year.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,617

Post#48 » by stuporman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Enough of the one trick ponies.......the Knicks need shot blocking, great we all know this. How bout finding a player who can do something other than that well. Hibbert isn't as athletic, but so what, why does everyone get hard ons for 'fast breaking' centers? I'd rather have as complete of a player as possible. Skilled on both sides of the ball. One that is versatile and excels in as many areas as possible.

Thabeet is not that much younger than Hibbert. Does anyone really think he'll be able to be as skilled as Hibbert in another year? He might not ever be as skilled as Hibbert. Hibbert had 3 point range even last year, it was just his big game winning shot that brought it to people's attention. Hibbert passes the ball really well from all areas of the court and has for awhile. He has post up skills, he handles the ball well, he defends both man and help. He blocks shots, he's BB smart. So Thabeet can now hit a hook shot...oh wow, he's on his way to greatness!

So Hibbert's a bit slow footed but his feet aren't clumsy. He has great foot and body control. The guy is 7-2 so he's not going to play like a SF out there, it would be nice to have a center who actually plays like a center. You know, defend, block shots, rebound and be able to also play on the offensive side with some skill. It's a bonus if he has range like Hibbert does but as long as he has a nice post up game and can pass out effectively he will be an asset.

The few players that are like 6-11, run like gazelles in the NBA and actually have developed some skills to make their athletic abilities useful are rare for sure. Just because a guy is tall and can jump but is raw as he11 doesn't mean he will ever develop into these rare type players. Even if he is a hard worker. Jared Jeffries is a hard worker, too, but has it ever helped him hit a jumper?

I like Thabeet but I don't think he has much of a chance to be all that special in the NBA, I think Hibbert has a higher ceiling.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#49 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:29 pm

The problem with Thabeet and triple double's is that he's not always the most aggressive player on the floor. And his propensity to be boxed out by smaller guys or moved out of the paint by smaller guys is an indication that his focus and grasp of some of the fundamentals of the game aren't there yet. He's got a world of potential though as you don't see too many 7'2"-7'3" guys with that type of body and that type of mobility and with arms and hands that can "blot out the Sun".

As far as a prospect. He no doubt is one. He would not be ready to step in right away and play major minutes unless that team is ok with him making some major mistakes and looking completlye lost at times (which is what he'll be doing if forced to play major minutes in the NBA right now). He'll likely also be a foul magnet especially on a team where the system really isn't defined and the movement (ball and players) can sometimes stagnate or seem without point. But it's not all negative as I'd expect he'll put up periodic monster stats that'll make ESPN and get everyone all hot and bothered.

I'd have no problem necessarily with a project, but there is a difference between a project that has the desire and the capacity to improve and a project that does not. THAT (desire and capacity) is what whomever decides to draft him has to consider. If the feeling is good that his desire and capacity are strong, then by all means. But if not, then I'd pass soundly.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#50 » by BRIGGS » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm

stuporman wrote:Enough of the one trick ponies.......the Knicks need shot blocking, great we all know this. How bout finding a player who can do something other than that well. Hibbert isn't as athletic, but so what, why does everyone get hard ons for 'fast breaking' centers? I'd rather have as complete of a player as possible. Skilled on both sides of the ball. One that is versatile and excels in as many areas as possible.

Thabeet is not that much younger than Hibbert. Does anyone really think he'll be able to be as skilled as Hibbert in another year? He might not ever be as skilled as Hibbert. Hibbert had 3 point range even last year, it was just his big game winning shot that brought it to people's attention. Hibbert passes the ball really well from all areas of the court and has for awhile. He has post up skills, he handles the ball well, he defends both man and help. He blocks shots, he's BB smart. So Thabeet can now hit a hook shot...oh wow, he's on his way to greatness!

So Hibbert's a bit slow footed but his feet aren't clumsy. He has great foot and body control. The guy is 7-2 so he's not going to play like a SF out there, it would be nice to have a center who actually plays like a center. You know, defend, block shots, rebound and be able to also play on the offensive side with some skill. It's a bonus if he has range like Hibbert does but as long as he has a nice post up game and can pass out effectively he will be an asset.

The few players that are like 6-11, run like gazelles in the NBA and actually have developed some skills to make their athletic abilities useful are rare for sure. Just because a guy is tall and can jump but is raw as he11 doesn't mean he will ever develop into these rare type players. Even if he is a hard worker. Jared Jeffries is a hard worker, too, but has it ever helped him hit a jumper?

I like Thabeet but I don't think he has much of a chance to be all that special in the NBA, I think Hibbert has a higher ceiling.

I watch every one of Hasheem's games and he can do a lot more than dunk. Last game he had an up and under which was quite impressive. He has nice touch around the rim without dunking. His free throw shooting and form has been great. I think he is PAST Hibbert in terms of where they were at the same point[hasheems 2nd year hibberts 4th] and HT is much more athletic. Just ask yourself--do you kinow more about basketball than Jeff Adrien? He happens to be the 6-7 all BE PF that plays next to him and plays with him/against him in practice. If Adrien thinks he can be an offensive monster--what does that say?
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#51 » by RHODEY » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm

I haven't seen much of Thabeet but from what I hear he sounds like his game could be similiar to the Center for GOlden State - Beidres?(I forget his name)- only taller? Is that a fair comparsion?
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,617

Post#52 » by stuporman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm

BRIGGS wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Just ask yourself--do you kinow more about basketball than Jeff Adrien? He happens to be the 6-7 all BE PF that plays next to him and plays with him/against him in practice. If Adrien thinks he can be an offensive monster--what does that say?

Oh well........since his teammate thinks he can be an offensive monster....I guess that just settles it.....:rofl:

I've seen these comparisons where a player a year or two younger than another player is so much more raw but he could be, would be, can be, if he and then winds up not so much after it's all said and done all to often. There's a certain amount of feel to the game that either player's have it or they don't, there's a certain level of refinement to the skills that some players get from playing many years of basketball that so many 'raw' players never wind up attaining. Not saying he won't attain them but it's just a guessing game. The only reason anyone would even take that chance is because he's 7-3 and you can't teach height. It's just not what the Knicks need right now. I've watched both of them play alot, too.

I'm not looking forward to waiting around for another athletically gifted big man to finally put it all together in 5 years hopefully. There are better prospects than a project big man if the Knicks get a high pick this draft.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#53 » by Fury » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:01 pm

RHODEY wrote:I haven't seen much of Thabeet but from what I hear he sounds like his game could be similiar to the Center for GOlden State - Beidres?(I forget his name)- only taller? Is that a fair comparsion?

Not bad. I'd say Biedrins is a better rebounder though.

Return to New York Knicks