ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: GS/ Nets game.. Hack a boone... LOL

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

OT: GS/ Nets game.. Hack a boone... LOL 

Post#1 » by TKF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 am

Is Don Nelson a Genius or Idiot.. with over three minutes left in the third quarter, he put rookie bellinili into the game for the sole purpose of fouling boone and sending him to the FT line. In other words, "Hack a boone" So far it really isn't working as boone just hit 3 of 4, but why do this? I know boone shoots around 34% but come on. Doesn't that disrupt the flow of the game? even for Nelson's own team.. And this early... ?
gmsnyk7
Starter
And1: 0

Post#2 » by gmsnyk7 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:33 am

hahaha don nelson is certainly inventive...i was watching this game and thinkin the same thing tkf
Stephen Levitt
Banned User

Post#3 » by Stephen Levitt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:32 am

At the end of the day the Warriors pulled through, 22 unanswered points by the Warriors. Boone was having a heck of a day, he was probably tired and Nelson saw right through that. Yea, Don Nelson is very creative.
“Some of these deceased personalities have Q scores equal to or greater than some of the live personalities we measure.”
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#4 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:38 am

thats cheezy basketball right there.
nelson should be ashamed.

that much time left in the game and he freezes out his own team with that lame move.

id be humiliated as a GS fan
Stephen Levitt
Banned User

Post#5 » by Stephen Levitt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:58 am

NoLayupRule wrote:thats cheezy basketball right there.
nelson should be ashamed.

that much time left in the game and he freezes out his own team with that lame move.

id be humiliated as a GS fan

Why is it a cheesy move? They won the game.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,179

Post#6 » by aq_ua » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:31 am

Like those Mike Fratello Cavs and their full use of the 24 second shotclock, it's not illegal and yes it does produce results, but it's not really condusive to attractive basketball, and in the end, it's not championship basketball either.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Jemini80 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 pm

idk, I think that is a big problem with the NBA now. Teams don't use the full shot clock, which in turn ruins offensive sets because people just do one on one crap.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Re: OT: GS/ Nets game.. Hack a boone... LOL 

Post#8 » by StutterStep » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:20 pm

TKF wrote:Is Don Nelson a Genius or Idiot.. with over three minutes left in the third quarter, he put rookie bellinili into the game for the sole purpose of fouling boone and sending him to the FT line. In other words, "Hack a boone" So far it really isn't working as boone just hit 3 of 4, but why do this? I know boone shoots around 34% but come on. Doesn't that disrupt the flow of the game? even for Nelson's own team.. And this early... ?

Don Nelson did this partly to humiliate Bellinili, who refused to go down to the D-League a few weeks back. With this game being on national TV and possibly being shown in Europe, what better way to tell this guy that he's worthless (at least to Nelson).

Remember how hard Nellie went at Dunleavy, Jr. (and Murphy to a lesser extent) to devalue them so that someone would think they were getting a steal in a trade --- Bird fell for it, even though I still think those two guys are pieces to a winning team, just not the "core".

Plus, Nellie knew that his team could put up crazy points in the 4th quarter to beat that feeble-offense the Nets put out.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#9 » by CoreyVillains » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 pm

He pulled the same thing when he coached the Mavs to Bruce Bowen in the playoffs. Worked really well too.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by TKF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Stephen Levit wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why is it a cheesy move? They won the game.

well it was cheesy. That move didn't win them the game, but almost cost them the game. the nets could not score near the basket, outside of jefferson, the rest of the guys were struggling hitting shots at one point. That Hack a boone episode ended up putting the nets in the lead by 6 points at one time. In other words, boone hit what? 5 out of 7 Ft's. One thing about the FT's, your team can't defend that. I would have rather played straight up and make the nets beat you.. why give a struggling team, chances at easy points?
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#11 » by PrecociousNeoph » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 pm

i thought it was funny. he admitted to cheryl miller in that interview that it backfired on them, boone stepped up and made his FT's.
“Bye, Felicia.”
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#12 » by HEZI » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Don did that after Boone shot an airball from the line and then bricked the second one. Nelson probably just thought this kid couldnt hit the ocean from a boat so he just sent Boone to the line. It backfired but I can see why he did it. I think after Boone made the first two when the strategy started, I would have called off the Hack a Boone.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Jerryd Bayless
Banned User

Post#13 » by Jerryd Bayless » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 pm

Yeah this was funny. The Cavs also did this in a game against them a month ago and Boone retaliated just like he did last night. Difference though is that the Cavs did this with 2min left in the 4th
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#14 » by boomann21 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Who won the game?
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by TKF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:37 pm

boomann21 wrote:Who won the game?

Return to New York Knicks