ImageImageImageImageImage

Are You For Real?: Nate-Rob and two Anthonys

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Are You For Real?: Nate-Rob and two Anthonys 

Post#1 » by Jose7 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:20 pm

A lil old but good read.

Opportunity knocks. That's the theme for this week's "Are You For Real?" piece. We will look at players who have been given recent opportunities to shine. The question is not whether these players are capable -- they wouldn't be listed here if they weren't -- but rather if they can use those opportunities and maintain their performance to earn the coveted "For Real" status.

Nate Robinson is in a similar situation. Stephon Marbury has missed a lot of games and could miss many more if he elects to undergo surgery for bone spurs on his ankle. Will increased minutes turn Robinson into more than a fantasy oddity, capable of big scoring some nights and goose eggs on others?

Nate Robinson, PG, Knicks
Give us one good reason why Nate Robinson won't maintain his hot play.

Guy: For Real. Consider this a condemnation of Stephon Marbury more than an affirmation of Robinson. In the soap opera that is the Knicks, Marbury plays the stock role of the wounded, vindictive matriarch, more than capable of tearing her family apart before she allows her pride to be taken from her. Hmm, am I describing Marbury or Isiah Thomas? Wait, I got it; they're matriarch twins! If these roles are set in "As the Garden Burns," then Robinson is surely the plucky ingenue -- a little annoying when she talks, but you just can't take your eyes off her. It is looking very possible that Marbury will need ankle surgery, which would move Robinson from supporting player to main attraction. You could argue that he already has. He has been playing starter's minutes off the bench since Dec. 21, and in that time has averaged 16.6 points, 2.2 3-pointers, 3.3 assists and 0.8 steals on 49.6-percent shooting from the field and 78.3 percent from the line. While these numbers hardly make Robinson a multi-category monster, he is capable of helping in a few areas. Last night, for example, he handed out eight assists. I think these numbers will hold because I am not convinced that Marbury is going to play a ton of minutes for the Knicks going forward. I am only guessing, but I think he elects for surgery to treat his bone spurs and takes the next six weeks off. After that, who knows? Nate should have value, though Alexis, er Stephon, could decide to put a dagger in all our backs and take the floor again. The Knicks are dramatic everywhere except on the court, but one of the few players worth watching is Robinson.

Mac: For Real. Let me come right out and say this: There are a lot of things I don't like about Robinson, namely his fluctuating minutes and inability to contribute in multiple categories. My initial thoughts were to go "not real" on little Nate because of the aforementioned concerns, but when I sat down to make my argument, the only real reason I could come up with was that he's a New York Knick. And that's not a good enough reason when a guy is averaging more than 16 points, 2 3-pointers and 0.9 steals in 31.2 minutes over his past 11 games. Look, we all know he's not going to be a multi-category contributor, but that's not why we want him on our squads. We want him for his scoring and 3-point-shooting abilities, and that's exactly what we're getting right now. He has proven to be a more than capable scorer and 3-point shooter whenever he's seeing quality minutes, and Marbury seems to be doing his best to ensure that Robinson will receive the minutes he needs to become a viable fantasy option. Marbury's recent comments about his injured ankle make him sound like a guy who's ready to pull the old Baron Davis trick and sit out the rest of the year. Those comments are possibly even more concerning than the injured ankle itself, and if Marbury is sidelined, Robinson is as close to a lock to receive extended minutes as anyone else in New York.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,176

Post#2 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Multicategory? He does rebound better than Curry (not saying much I know), and he can dish it out.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Jemini80 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 pm

christopher reeve gets more rebounds than curry...
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#4 » by boomann21 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Nate is going to be a beast. This writer has no idea what the NBA is in for when him and Jamal own the back court. It's what I would describe in a one letter word as synergy.
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Jemini80 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 pm

if jamal can learn how to be a PG than Nate can play the position he was really meant for which is the off-guard.

nate should just run off screens all day. Off ball screen with Randolph, one of them will be open give it to them for the shot, while Curry sits in the paint and gets a 3 second violation.

Return to New York Knicks