ImageImageImageImageImage

o/t: METS GET SANTANA AND KEEP KING FERNANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#161 » by krustytheclown » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh, I agree completely. I just wish Mets fans would STFU about spending. Hopefully now they will.

never :lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#162 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:26 am

Not to side-track but from the Yankees standpoint, I know that both Mussina and Abreu are on their final years and total over $32 million combined. But is Giambi also on his final year? If so that's another what $18 million or so off (for $50 million)?
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#163 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:28 am

moocow007 wrote:Not to side-track but from the Yankees standpoint, I know that both Mussina and Abreu are on their final years and total over $32 million combined. But is Giambi also on his final year? If so that's another what $18 million or so off (for $50 million)?

Giambi is done after this season. Pavano's contract will be done as well.

Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Melky, Tabata, & Jackson are all going to be cost controlled for a long while as well.

The Yankees payroll will no doubt go down a good deal unless Hank goes crazy.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#164 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:30 am

Coming off the books after this season for the Yankees

Giambi: $21M
Abreu: $16M
Pettitte: $16M
Mussina: $11M
Pavano: $11M
Farnsworth: $5.5M
Hawkins: $3.75M
Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#165 » by Pugsley_2491 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:35 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:Coming off the books after this season for the Yankees

Giambi: $21M
Abreu: $16M
Mussina: $11M
Pavano: $11M
Farnsworth: $5.5M
Pettitte: $16M

holy shyyyyyt! damn! that's a lot of dough coming off the books. 80.5 M from those players alone. Wow after this season we may not be the team with the highest payroll anymore.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#166 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:40 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's funny how it's a different story now for Mets fans now that their team is about to dish a $20+ million a year contract out. Just a few short months ago, the Yankees were OMG evil OMG.

Well I will say free agency and negotiating with a player you just acquired are two different things, nevertheless I agree with the notion you are making. Still though the Yanks will always be OMG evil OMG.

Either way its going to become a legit race for free agents now between us, because the Mets can now actually throw money around like the Yanks can. Gotta love SNY.

Bottom line ZOMG THE EvIlL EmPIreE!!!
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#167 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:41 am

Manhattan Project wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well I will say free agency and negotiating with a player you just acquired are two different things, nevertheless I agree with the notion you are making. Still though the Yanks will always be OMG evil OMG.

Either way its going to become a legit race for free agents now between us, because the Mets can now actually throw money around like the Yanks can. Gotta love SNY.

Bottom line ZOMG THE EvIlL EmPIreE!!!

I love SNY because the company I work for owns a big portion of it.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#168 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 am

the best birthday gift for me today. THANKS OMAR!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#169 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:49 am

I love SNY because the company I work for owns a big portion of it.

Your all the way in Washington to no? Thats pretty good for you if they pay dividends, because with this acquisition any fake Met fan that bolted after the collapsed is right back on.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#170 » by rammagen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:54 am

congrats to the METS as far the skanky fans trying to throw insults, weak another Mets thread taken over, Give the Mets thier props and go away.
I like three of the pitchers need to work on a solid LF not sold on Aluo for season. But we should be the class of the NL east.
That being said, Mets fans never walked away after the collapse, disappointed yes but I never walked away. I can see the headlines from a yanks fan perspective Mets gave up to much, but we actually had the worst deal and benifited from waiting.
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#171 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:01 am

Manhattan Project wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Your all the way in Washington to no? Thats pretty good for you if they pay dividends, because with this acquisition any fake Met fan that bolted after the collapsed is right back on.

Yeah, I work for Comcast SportsNet here in DC. We are actually one of the only CSN branches in the country 100% owned by Comcast. Usually the sports franchises in whatever city the CSN branch is in owns part of the station. Like with SNY. The Mets own it but Comcast owns a big chunk as well.

Funny story. CSN in Philly is owned by Comcast & all the local Philly teams. The Monday after the Phillies won the division & the Iggles lost to the Giants, SportsRise opened up with the Phillies. The Iggles front office calls SCREAMING "THE EAGLES RUN THE F_CKIN' TOWN DON'T YOU FORGET IT!"
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#172 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:06 am

rammagen wrote:congrats to the METS as far the skanky fans trying to throw insults, weak another Mets thread taken over, Give the Mets thier props and go away.
I like three of the pitchers need to work on a solid LF not sold on Aluo for season. But we should be the class of the NL east.
That being said, Mets fans never walked away after the collapse, disappointed yes but I never walked away. I can see the headlines from a yanks fan perspective Mets gave up to much, but we actually had the worst deal and benifited from waiting.

Funny, I thought Met & Yankee fans were being very civil. That is, until you came through.
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#173 » by krustytheclown » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:13 am

Yeah, I work for Comcast SportsNet here in DC. We are actually one of the only CSN branches in the country 100% owned by Comcast. Usually the sports franchises in whatever city the CSN branch is in owns part of the station. Like with SNY. The Mets own it but Comcast owns a big chunk as well.

Funny story. CSN in Philly is owned by Comcast & all the local Philly teams. The Monday after the Phillies won the division & the Iggles lost to the Giants, SportsRise opened up with the Phillies. The Iggles front office calls SCREAMING "THE EAGLES RUN THE F_CKIN' TOWN DON'T YOU FORGET IT!"

andy reid could benefit from running around the town

/lame
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#174 » by rammagen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 am

My issue wth most Mets threads in forum is they turn into what the yankees this and Mets are doing wrong, The post I was responding was m ocking Mets fans for late season collapse, So as far as civil civil would be congrats Mets have a nice day we will get the next one. Not the Yankees rotation is better then the Mets or Mets fans hid because of the collapse.
So as a matter of pride or rather a voice of most of the Mets fans who do not post here I responded.
So being civil would be saying congrats to the Mets and there fans
highjacking a thread, or even bringing the Yankees into this thread outside of the proposed deal + out of line.
As a Jet fan I take my hat of to Giants but I will not go into the supebowl thread to say something bad or hurl vagely hiden insults at the fans.
I hope you understand now.
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#175 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:49 am

rammagen wrote:My issue wth most Mets threads in forum is they turn into what the yankees this and Mets are doing wrong, The post I was responding was m ocking Mets fans for late season collapse, So as far as civil civil would be congrats Mets have a nice day we will get the next one. Not the Yankees rotation is better then the Mets or Mets fans hid because of the collapse.
So as a matter of pride or rather a voice of most of the Mets fans who do not post here I responded.
So being civil would be saying congrats to the Mets and there fans
highjacking a thread, or even bringing the Yankees into this thread outside of the proposed deal + out of line.
As a Jet fan I take my hat of to Giants but I will not go into the supebowl thread to say something bad or hurl vagely hiden insults at the fans.
I hope you understand now.

Nah, I got you. Mets definitely STOLE Santana from the Twins. That GM is a moron.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,632

Post#176 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:22 am

So, here's the rotation:

1. Santana

2. Pedro

3. Maine

4. Perez

5. ???

If Duaner is healthy (and he seems to be) and he returns to his set-up 8th inning role, I'd like to give Aaron Heilman a shot at the 5th spot in the rotation. When he competed for the last spot in the rotation a couple years ago (he lost out to Bannister even though he pitched better than him) he pitched extremely well.

Pelfrey is simply not ready, yet. He only has one pitch right now, so he may be better suited for the bullpen until he develops a second and third pitch.

El Duque has broken each of the last two year in August/September when we needed him.

I'd give Kyle Lohse a 2 year, low risk, deal if he was interested. But I wouldn't sign Livan. His ERA was almost 5.00 last year and, while he eats innings, his numbers have steadily declined each of the last 4 years.

So with Pelfrey, Feliciano, Sosa, Schoe, Smith and El Duque, I think the bullpen will be fine. It's time to give Heilman the shot he deserves.
Free Palestine
YungNeef
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#177 » by YungNeef » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 am

Heilman will never get the chance to start as long as he is still here. The 5th starter is likely going to be El Duque, but I wouldn't be surpirsed if we signed Livan Hernandez.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,244

Post#178 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 pm

YungNeef wrote:Heilman will never get the chance to start as long as he is still here. The 5th starter is likely going to be El Duque, but I wouldn't be surpirsed if we signed Livan Hernandez.

I agree.

Heilman is better suited for the pen anyway, and he's been quite reliable there for the most part. No way Heilman gets to start. I just don't se eit.

On Livan, I wonder. As it is now, we've got El Duque and Pelfrey competing for the 5th spot. Livan could get a guaranteed starting spot on a number of teams, here he might get sent to the minors. I don't know if this is a situation he'd be eager to sign on with.
Go NY Go NY Go
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#179 » by Flaming Mo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 pm

Excellent deal for the Mets and just what they needed. Santana owned the AL, guess what he is going to do in the NL. Plus his record at Shea Stadium is like 4-0 with a 1.5 ERA or something like that.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,977

Post#180 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:03 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:the best birthday gift for me today. THANKS OMAR!

Mine too (yesterday).

Happy B-Day and :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

This is such awesome news.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks