ImageImageImageImageImage

Just got back from Time Square...

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Just got back from Time Square... 

Post#1 » by ElMatatan » Mon Feb 4, 2008 7:09 am

WOW!!!

People are going crazy over there.....there is so many people in the streets....things are off the chains.....there where a lot of Jets fans there too...New England Sucks and boston sucks chants where heard everywhere.......

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There where people in the middle of the streets and everywhere...
NY State of Mind
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#2 » by method » Mon Feb 4, 2008 7:53 am

I love it!!!
wwtsm
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by wwtsm » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:27 am

Im so jealous, I wish I was in the city.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#4 » by xAIRNESSx » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:49 am

Me and my buddy were having a disagreement and I was wondering if you New Yorkers could settle it? He was saying that a Yankees World Series would be more celebrated than a New York Giants Superbowl by the city of New York. I was saying the opposite, because even though they play in the Meadowlands!, the NFL is the most popular league in the U.S. So, what is it? Guess you could rank a Knicks NBA championship in there too.
DDV
General Manager

Post#5 » by DDV » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:56 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:Me and my buddy were having a disagreement and I was wondering if you New Yorkers could settle it? He was saying that a Yankees World Series would be more celebrated than a New York Giants Superbowl by the city of New York. I was saying the opposite, because even though they play in the Meadowlands!, the NFL is the most popular league in the U.S. So, what is it? Guess you could rank a Knicks NBA championship in there too.

i hate the yankees but there the most popular team in the area
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#6 » by ElMatatan » Mon Feb 4, 2008 9:21 am

I been to Yankees parade....they are really crazy and get crowded with people....I expect this one to be bigger....also remenber the Giants last superbowl was almost 2 decades ago......
NY State of Mind
O Poutsokleftis
Banned User

Post#7 » by O Poutsokleftis » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:21 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:Me and my buddy were having a disagreement and I was wondering if you New Yorkers could settle it? He was saying that a Yankees World Series would be more celebrated than a New York Giants Superbowl by the city of New York. I was saying the opposite, because even though they play in the Meadowlands!, the NFL is the most popular league in the U.S. So, what is it? Guess you could rank a Knicks NBA championship in there too.

Noo honestly dude it has to be the Knicks because of a few reasons.

New York has only one basketball team.

New York is the Mecca of Basketball

It has been since 1973 we have won it.

However, I would say it would be a bigger deal if the Yankees won the World Series, but more people are happier that the Giants won. This is due to the fact that

Baseball is more of a bigger deal in New York.

Jets and Giants fans have no rivalry and will support each other no matter what.

Mets and Yankees have a bitter rivalry and each team hates the other (Mets fans hate the Yankees a lot more).
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Re: Just got back from Time Square... 

Post#8 » by PrecociousNeoph » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:17 am

ElMatatan wrote:WOW!!!

People are going crazy over there.....there is so many people in the streets....things are off the chains.....there where a lot of Jets fans there too...New England Sucks and boston sucks chants where heard everywhere.......

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There where people in the middle of the streets and everywhere...

nice. I might have gone to a party or something if I had a life instead of watching it in my room on my **** tv :D
“Bye, Felicia.”
HeyJimmy
Banned User

Post#9 » by HeyJimmy » Mon Feb 4, 2008 1:05 pm

You are wrong and your buddy is right. A World Series BY FAR is much more celebrated. Baseball in NY is talked about 24/7/365 days a year! And lets not forget about the Mets, when they win the World Series, it's a much bigger deal than the Yankees.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#10 » by cmaff051 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 1:29 pm

HeyJimmy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You are wrong and your buddy is right. A World Series BY FAR is much more celebrated. Baseball in NY is talked about 24/7/365 days a year! And lets not forget about the Mets, when they win the World Series, it's a much bigger deal than the Yankees.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're joking, right?

BTW, a World Series victory by either team is celebrated more than a Super Bowl win.
HeyJimmy
Banned User

Post#11 » by HeyJimmy » Mon Feb 4, 2008 1:44 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're joking, right?

BTW, a World Series victory by either team is celebrated more than a Super Bowl win.

Oh please, the Yankees couldn't draw flies to that dump in the Bronx until the mid-nineties. Thats when all the bandwagon jumpers decided it was hip to be a Yankee fan. The 69 World Series and 86 World Series was a much bigger event than any World Series the Yankees played in.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#12 » by cmaff051 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:07 pm

HeyJimmy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh please, the Yankees couldn't draw flies to that dump in the Bronx until the mid-nineties. Thats when all the bandwagon jumpers decided it was hip to be a Yankee fan. The 69 World Series and 86 World Series was a much bigger event than any World Series the Yankees played in.

:rofl: :rofl:

Apparently you haven't been to Shea when the Mets weren't winning. They were lucky to draw 20,000 during those times.
HeyJimmy
Banned User

Post#13 » by HeyJimmy » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:22 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :rofl:

Apparently you haven't been to Shea when the Mets weren't winning. They were lucky to draw 20,000 during those times.

I went to my first Mets game at Shea back in 77. I know bad ballclubs.

Even when the Yankees were winning, they weren't drawing well. NY was always a National League town until the late 90's when the Yankees finally had a bunch of home grown stars and a likable team. I remember reluctantly going to that Yankee dump in the 80's and that place was a ghost town.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#14 » by jeff1624 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:35 pm

Dude the yankees are a much bigger deal than the mets, you shouldnt even argue that....
Dat Leadership
HeyJimmy
Banned User

Post#15 » by HeyJimmy » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:36 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Dude the yankees are a much bigger deal than the mets, you shouldnt even argue that....

Yeah, if you're under 21.
jeff1624
RealGM

Post#16 » by jeff1624 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:38 pm

Funny since most of the mets fans these days are bandwagon dominicans (I know, i'm hispanic)...
Dat Leadership
HeyJimmy
Banned User

Post#17 » by HeyJimmy » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:46 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Funny since most of the mets fans these days are bandwagon dominicans (I know, i'm hispanic)...

The Mets couldn't afford a 130 million dollar payroll if "most Mets fans these days are bandwagon Dominicans."
jeff1624
RealGM

Post#18 » by jeff1624 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:44 pm

And the yankees would afford there 200+ mil payroll if all yankees fans are under 21...
Dat Leadership
pewing33ny
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#19 » by pewing33ny » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:13 pm

how popular a team is usually has to do with how the team is doing. the yankees have been a championship contender for over 10 years now. the mets have been making the playoffs on and off for the last 10 years also. in the mid-90s when the mets sucked no one cared about them.

when the rangers won the championship people were going nuts and the next few years they were popular again until fading back into mediocrity.

we have to deal with it first hadn with the knicks. although they still sell-out a good amount it wasn't like the 90s when they were continuously going at least a couple rounds into the playoffs.

i'm the same with football. i'm a casual football fan in that i root for botht he jets and giants and watch a few games a year but the farther they go into the playoffs the more into them i'll get. i'll admit i'm a bandwagon fan but i have tons of friends who only watch the big playoff games and then pretend they are die-hards.

it was even bigger this year because most NYC fans hate boston teams and this was a david and goliath which makes the giants even more likable.
2016 predictions

GSW Clippers OKC Spurs Cleveland Hawks Miami Toronto
GSW Spurs Cleveland Miami
GSW Cleveland

Cavs 2016 champs
KitKatBars
Banned User
Location: I'm a little defenestrated. I only use a Mac and Linux.

Post#20 » by KitKatBars » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:38 pm

The random generalization on both sides is ridiculous.
Marbury on playing the role of a PG, "It's been kinda of tough, but it's an adjustment...I haven't been playing as aggressive as I normally play on the basketball court and thats just from trying to get everybody involved and into the game."

Return to New York Knicks