ImageImageImageImageImage

Time to Acquire young talent

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Time to Acquire young talent 

Post#1 » by GuyverADL » Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:17 pm

At this point we need to look at moving players who arent taking this team anywhere. Those players being Crawford, Curry, Randolph, and Marbury.

I'd only be interested in taking picks and young talent.

Thomas needs to realize we arent beating anyone with these nimrods. The front court has got to go. Get me Thabeet or Jordan. If we could swindle a team trying to make a push like Miami then lets do it.

Players we need to be makingmoves for

Villanueva
Cook
Green
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 410

Post#2 » by Houston99 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:44 am

i think one of those guys can be a start... i say we pick up and be patient and try to develop him into a star.
XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#3 » by XcalibuR » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:01 am

Miami is trying to make what push?
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#4 » by denterprise » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:15 am

It would be nice if the collective bargaining agreement allowed us to move salaries without taking back high salaries.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#5 » by bringinhinkie » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:20 am

XcalibuR wrote:Miami is trying to make what push?

to the first pick, obviously :roll:
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,382

Post#6 » by Scalabrine » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:21 am

Actually the Sonics are prime for getting a late draft pick (from the Suns in the Thomas trade) and they are just above the salary cap right now so they would want an expring contract or shorter than the player they are trading. If we give them Jones they will be under the cap.

Ridnour and Watson are both very expendable and so is Delonte West, something that may interest them is to get rid of Wallys contract (expires next year) for Fred Jones whos expiring and Malik Rose who expires next year and has a smaller much more managable expiring contract.

So the deal would be:
Sonics Trade:
Wally
1st Round Pick from Phoenix
Knicks Get:
Malik Rose
Fred Jones

That would put them under the cap and with a very nice situation for next year to really set them up for a big salary cap for the year after that.

We could also snatch Earl Watson or Ridnour from them, I know they would like to get rid of one or both if possible (both have 2 years after this). We could do a similar deal but just with Rose and the Sonics will have plenty of salary space after next season.
Go Knicks!
Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#7 » by Pugsley_2491 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:31 am

you know, with shaq gone i can almost see the heat wanting to take a shot at curry. they need a center, blount won't cut it.
phatmanscoop
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#8 » by phatmanscoop » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:49 am

anyway we can pry green from minny?
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,107

Post#9 » by god shammgod » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:02 am

you could take the young out of the thread title and it would still work
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#10 » by Smoke24 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:11 am

If Miami can get rid of unwanted Antione walker and his dumbass contract and shaq and his big contract, I don't see why our GM can't
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,659

Post#11 » by Synciere » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:43 am

god shammgod wrote:you could take the young out of the thread title and it would still work

True indeed...

Here's my pipe dream...

We need defensive 3's and 5's. We need serious upgrades in these departments. An upgrade over Jamal would be nice, but as much as people hate his game here, there aren't many scorers better than Jamal, certainly not many free agents. For now, point guard is safe in Steph's hands, and his expiring will be huge next year. We're still in prime position to get a good PG in the draft this year..
Guards for possible upgrades:

Ben Gordon
Monta Ellis
CJ Miles
Gilbert Arenas

I like Monta Ellis most out of this group. He'll probably be signed for the most value. The problem is, how do we pry him away from GS which is clearly happy to have him. Gordon and Arenas are sign and trade options, and I would love Gordon if we had that big 2 guard, but we don't need to get involved with Chicago anymore.
Swingmen:

Josh Smith
Luol Deng
Andre Iguodola
Bonzi Wells
Cory Maggette.
Josh Childress.

I like Smith as the expensive option, Iguodola as the medium option. Don't know how good Childress's J is, but he would need to be very consistent to hold down that 3 spot for us.

Big Men:

Okafor
Biedrins
Brand
Jamison

Don't like our chances with any of them. Why would they accept sign and trades to join an already crowded frontcourt. I would love Okafor and Biedrins just to add some mobile intimidation to our interior. We just have no way to get rid of Curry. If Miami is unlucky and only gets a low lottery pick, maybe we can make this happen.

Basically, I think having Jamal as our sixth man is best, but in case we trade Steph next year and Jamal is forced into that role as our PG, I have no problem building around him and his strengths in that regard. Which means we bring in tough swingmen who can penetrate the lane, and defend. I want a new 2,3, and 5 here next year, all at least average on the defensive end. I want a young PG to groom. I want one of Zach/Curry gone for a defensive big. I'd trade either for Diop right now.

We need a line-up like this:

Steph/Jamal
Maggette/Jamal
Artest/
Zach/
Okafor

Artest will cost us Nate and Balkman if it goes to this summer and an expiring next year, most likely Rose. Sacramento may hold out for Lee.

Maggette will cost us Chandler and Morris, with the appropriate buffer in there also.

Our defensive big is going to have to come from Steph's expiring in my opinion. Charlotte has no terrible contracts yet, but we would have to eat a few to get the big we need. GS doesn't need a PG so Biedrins is out. I think Atlanta may be willing to grab that expiring for Smith and some contracts.

Just jabbering, but trades definitely need to be made this offseason, and I really think it starts with Steph's expiring for a true defensive big man. Curry for a first. Forget what we gave up for him, unless it's Chicago. Focus on defensive wings who aren't completely inept on the offensive end, but rounded players...

If we can get two defensive stalwarts on the wings with Jamal/Zach/Eddy, we'll be Ok...
HKSVIP
Bench Warmer
And1: 107

Post#12 » by HKSVIP » Thu Feb 7, 2008 5:56 am

I want Thabeet on this team so bad. If we got rid of Curry and had Thabeet in our starting line-up, we would make the playoffs.

Return to New York Knicks