ImageImageImageImageImage

My scouting report OJ Mayo

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#121 » by randomhero423 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:01 am

so he didn't improve from age 16 to 20??????
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,167

Post#122 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:02 am

Guys like Gordon and Bayless' numbers dropped off ALOT the last 10 or so games of the year while Mayos increased. That shows alot.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#123 » by GuyverADL » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:04 am

I question whether you guys actually watched Chris Paul in college.

College Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDvZNjIW3A

Highschool Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMHfbjh6UbQ

He doesn't seem all that fantastic does he. Look what he became though in the league.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#124 » by randomhero423 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:04 am

he's clearly not on their level. i'd be disgusted with either..

just remember gordon had to go through the kelvin sampson firing. just saying...

my point is. he's been on so many teams for so many years, that he's obviously more polished.
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#125 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 am

TrueWarrior wrote:Ha you never cease to amaze me how much you love Crawfords d*ck. What is your infatuation with him? Lets get to the bottom of it already.

Hes a 6th man who can score in bunches but can also build houses with all the bricks he throws up. He takes horrible, selfish shots, and yet that doesnt make him selfish? Why not? Ive seen about 6 USC games this year and Mayo is already a light years better defender than Crawford and he doesnt really force anything on offense, which is basically all Jamal does. Either way I dont want to see Jamal as our starting SG next season, and would love to see Mayo there. I like Craw as a 6th man but watching him start is like hearing nails on a chalkboard for 40 minutes.

And speaking of getting better Crawford hasnt gotten any better since his rookie year. Hes a joke man. To say Mayo isnt going to get better is also a crazy statement. Hes 20 years old. His best case scenario, Chauncey Billups, didnt become an All Star till he was 27.

I just cant take a poser serious who loves Crawford as much as you. It almost takes all of your basketball credibility away. Hes so un-fundamental its ridiculous.

LOL boy please every chance you get youre tossing out Crawfords name when there really is no basis for it. I didnt mention Crawford you did said he is selfish when you cant post a single damn clip of a player or coach anywhere that would justofy that claim. Youre talking straight BS ad have been for quite some time . I have no infatuation with Crawford he is what he is but one thing he is not known as is selfish so who here is truly infatuated .

So what youve seen games and that makes you think that mayo doing it against Clent Stewart is the same as Crawford and nate doing it against Kobe or baron roflmao ...only in that little world you live in.There is a long list of players who dropped big numbers in college who aint even in the pros so just doing it in college dont mean jack. One who comes to mind is Joe Forte who was taken by the celtics .

Who cares that you dont want to see Crawford start ? I mean is that really a excuse just to make stuff up ? Again so now Mayo is like Billups who went to how many teams before getting minutes ? Most wouldnt say that Chauncey developed jumping team to team he just happened to land on a team that fit his style of play.

and Ill repeat again for you I didnt say he couldnt get better but he doenst have as high of a ceiling because if youve watched him long enough you would know the stuff he was doing this year hes been doing since he was 16 and still hasnt added a new wrinkle to his game or defined a position.

But again you will keep making stuff up and expecting no response while using not wanting Crawford to start as a an excuse .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
JBoogs37
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#126 » by JBoogs37 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:09 am

randomhero423 wrote:so he didn't improve from age 16 to 20??????

That's my point. Skill-wise, he didn't really need to improve. Folks, there were reasons for the LeBron comparisons. He was NBA ready skill-wise, when he was 16. He got bored in HS and started jacking up threes and seeing how much he could score.

His freshman year at SC showed he still has lots to learn in terms of playing the game the right way. But skill-wise, there wasn't much room for him to improve. That's why he was so hyped to begin with. He would've been a lottery pick 4 years ago.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#127 » by randomhero423 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:10 am

well if he didn't improve then why do you think he'll improve now?
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#128 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:15 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL boy please every chance you get youre tossing out Crawfords name when there really is no basis for it. I didnt mention Crawford you did said he is selfish when you cant post a single damn clip of a player or coach anywhere that would justofy that claim. Youre talking straight BS ad have been for quite some time . I have no infatuation with Crawford he is what he is but one thing he is not known as is selfish so who here is truly infatuated .

So what youve seen games and that makes you think that mayo doing it against Clent Stewart is the same as Crawford and nate doing it against Kobe or baron roflmao ...only in that little world you live in.There is a long list of players who dropped big numbers in college who aint even in the pros so just doing it in college dont mean jack. One who comes to mind is Joe Forte who was taken by the celtics .

Who cares that you dont want to see Crawford start ? I mean is that really a excuse just to make stuff up ? Again so now Mayo is like Billups who went to how many teams before getting minutes ? Most wouldnt say that Chauncey developed jumping team to team he just happened to land on a team that fit his style of play.

and Ill repeat again for you I didnt say he couldnt get better but he doenst have as high of a ceiling because if youve watched him long enough you would know the stuff he was doing this year hes been doing since he was 16 and still hasnt added a new wrinkle to his game or defined a position.

But again you will keep making stuff up and expecting no response while using not wanting Crawford to start as a an excuse .

HAHA You want me to give you a "CLIP" of Jamal being selfish?

Watch a Knick game. ANY Knicks game. If you dont think he is selfish then Praise be to you but when he dribbles down the court, does a little crossover, and jacks up a fadeaway three with 19 seconds left on the shot clock, MORE THAN ONCE, that is just a wee bit selfish to me. But maybe Im crazy. I dont see Mayo doing that.

And just because Mayo hasnt improved by leaps and bounds since he was 16 that doesnt mean anything. He never needed to up until this point. And even with not being able to add a "wrinkle" to his game he still managed to drop 20.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 3.3 apg this year with good shooting numbers.

And like I mentioned, he turned it on the last 10 games of the year where he averaged 24 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 4.2 apg also with good shooting numbers. That shows improvement my friend.

The reason I brought Crawford into the equation is that you said Mayo doesnt have a high ceiling and wont improve much. I say he does. Hes a smart player with a High IQ and that goes a long way in the NBA. Which is why dumbasses like Crawford never got and never will get better because they're just so dumb no matter how much talent they have. Jamal takes worse shots than Wilson Chandler. How do you explain that for a player in the league for 8 years?
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#129 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:19 am

JBoogs37 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's my point. Skill-wise, he didn't really need to improve. Folks, there were reasons for the LeBron comparisons. He was NBA ready skill-wise, when he was 16. He got bored in HS and started jacking up threes and seeing how much he could score.

His freshman year at SC showed he still has lots to learn in terms of playing the game the right way. But skill-wise, there wasn't much room for him to improve. That's why he was so hyped to begin with. He would've been a lottery pick 4 years ago.

Exactly. OJ was so good that he was dominating every team he played against. He didnt have a reason to get better, until now.

That is why I think he will be a better pro than college player. He has a high IQ and seems willing to improve because he wants to be at the top again.

Hell if I could drop 40/10/8 every game why should I improve?
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#130 » by randomhero423 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:21 am

there's no reason to not want to improve. no one is perfect and there's plenty to work on for everyone.
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#131 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 am

randomhero423 wrote:there's no reason to not want to improve. no one is perfect and there's plenty to work on for everyone.

You're very right. But Im sure he looked perfect in highschool and didnt even really know what his weaknesses were until he got into college and some of them were exposed.

Going to college was the best thing for him because it showed him that hes not perfect and needs to improve certain things.

When it is all said and done tho OJ will be a very good, maybe great, NBA player. But thats my opinion. We'll see what happens.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#132 » by GuyverADL » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:24 am

randomhero423 wrote:there's no reason to not want to improve. no one is perfect and there's plenty to work on for everyone.

Mayo has done things our players still cant do and that is mature mentally. When USC was down to Kansas state did he go into chuck mode? No. He stuck with the game plan and continued to go to his team mates. Thats what a leader does. He doesnt start heaving long range bombs and attempt to shoot the team back into the game.

Mayo's cerebral game is what really entices me. He understands the game. Call me a homer but this kid gets it.

If he can control himself during a elimination game in what would likely be his last college game than that right there shows his maturity. This guy is going to be a problem in the league.
JBoogs37
Sophomore

Post#133 » by JBoogs37 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:25 am

Well number one, he has pretty much all the skills right now. Number two, he has a great work ethic. Number three, he wants to be great. Number four, him getting to the L will be something he's been waiting for since middle school, and I think he'll raise his game. And finally, it's not like he needs to go to the gym and work on his jump shot or one on one skills. The skills are there. He needs to start playing the game again. He started to towards the end of this SC season. Just play.

Forget the points and the hype, just play. Dude is crazy talented. I only back him because I've seen what he can do. Not just against punk HS, but against pros. I mean really, if you guys are interested, find a video of OJ as a sophomore in HS, and you'll see what the hype was about and what he could be in the L. It's up to him. He has to decide whether he wants to play for the hype machine, or just play the game. If maximizes his skillset, and starts playing the right way, he will be special. I'd bank on it. If not, his D and jump shot will keep him working.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#134 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 am

TrueWarrior wrote:

HAHA You want me to give you a "CLIP" of Jamal being selfish?

Watch a Knick game. ANY Knicks game. If you dont think he is then Praise be to you but when he dribbles down the court, does a little crossover, and jacks up a fadeaway three with 19 seconds left on the shot clock that is just a wee bit selfish to me. But maybe Im crazy. I dont see Mayo doing that.

Hes on a team that struggles to score points and has been given the greenlight .The thing is I watch not only the knciks gamnes buit other teams gamnes as well and if you think that a guard pushing the ball up the court and shooting early in the clock is selfoish then you really dont get to watch nba basketball much.

I see OJ doing whatever hes instructed to do and if he ends up in a Durant like situation I see him taking plenty of similar shots but of course you have your blinders on ........

And just because Mayo hasnt improved by leaps and bounds since he was 16 that doesnt mean anything. He never needed to up until this point. And even with not being able to add a "wrinkle" to his game he still managed to drop 20.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 3.3 apg this year with good shooting numbers.

And like I mentioned, he turned it on the last 10 games of the year where he averaged 24 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 4.2 apg also with good shooting numbers. That shows improvement my friend.

He never needed to ? wow what an excuse and what will the excuse be after hes gotten paid ? He turned it on every game except the last one when he was quite average while trying to get himself into the league as the most unselfish sg that ever lived . Even the announcers kept waiting for him to do something but he couldnt and it had less to do with him being unselfish and more to do with a little thing called they played defense on him and he couldnt create any offense until the game was out of hand

The reason I brought Crawford into the equation is that you said Mayo doesnt have a high ceiling and wont improve much. I say he does. Hes a smart player with a High IQ and that goes a long way in the NBA. Which is why dumbasses like Crawford never got and never will get better because they're just so dumb no matter how much talent they have. Jamal takes worse shots than Wilson Chandler. How do you explain that for a player in the league for 8 years?

He doesnt have as high a ceiling as Rose or Beasley and thats because they already have a position ? What position does Mayo play that he can get better at ? Jamal plays on a team with no system and is depended upon to score points regardless there are dozen and dozens of players who have been put in this position over the years.When you have few scoring options and no system a team routinely depends on one or two players to become volume shooters to try and win games .The percentages doesnt matter as much because you are banking on one of them getting got if they get hot you are in it to the end or win it and if they are not you lose but its already been established that if they dont score you lose anyway . I dont even see why this should have to explained at this poiint but oh wait I forgot the truth is only reserved for players people like around here.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#135 » by GuyverADL » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:35 am

JBoogs37 wrote:Well number one, he has pretty much all the skills right now. Number two, he has a great work ethic. Number three, he wants to be great. Number four, him getting to the L will be something he's been waiting for since middle school, and I think he'll raise his game. And finally, it's not like he needs to go to the gym and work on his jump shot or one on one skills. The skills are there. He needs to start playing the game again. He started to towards the end of this SC season. Just play.

Forget the points and the hype, just play. Dude is crazy talented. I only back him because I've seen what he can do. Not just against punk HS, but against pros. I mean really, if you guys are interested, find a video of OJ as a sophomore in HS, and you'll see what the hype was about and what he could be in the L. It's up to him. He has to decide whether he wants to play for the hype machine, or just play the game. If maximizes his skillset, and starts playing the right way, he will be special. I'd bank on it. If not, his D and jump shot will keep him working.

How many times do we here stuff like:

If he had a jumper he'd be an allstar
If he played defense he'd be an allstar
If he just "got it" he'd be special

The key to remember is that most of stars in the league like McGrady and Carter were doing the same things they do in the league now in high school against lesser competition.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#136 » by randomhero423 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:39 am

lol. darius miles was also dominant in HS... his fg% was over 650
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#137 » by randomhero423 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:41 am

deshawn stevenson also was great in HS. 21, 9 and 8..
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#138 » by GuyverADL » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:42 am

randomhero423 wrote:lol. darius miles was also dominant in HS... his fg% was over 650

:roll:

Yea and he could not shoot and was getting by on athleticism. Try again.

randomhero423 wrote:deshawn stevenson also was great in HS. 21, 9 and 8..

Try again sir. Mayo played PG in highschool so explain how he did that with no handle. :nonono:

Mayo is a play maker and great passer.

Please dont mention these one dimensional players in the same sentence as Mayo.
JBoogs37
Sophomore

Post#139 » by JBoogs37 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 am

Well whatever, the fact is, he has the skills, and will be a good- to- potentially great player in the L. Wish him the best.

Return to New York Knicks