ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Dallas and San Antonio's last Hurrah?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

roy10
Banned User
And1: 0

OT - Dallas and San Antonio's last Hurrah? 

Post#1 » by roy10 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Is this the end of the road for Dallas and San Antonio? Two of the biggest powerhouses in the league during the last decade seem to be fading.

San Antonio has Barry, Finley, KT, Horry and Bowen which are all basically done as basketball players. They have no young blood whatsoever and no picks.

Ginobilli has peaked this season and will start declining next year, Duncan is past his peak (despite a heroic performance yesterday). I don't think they can survive another 82 game season and make the playoffs next year.

Dallas made a mistake with the Kidd trade. They have more young blood than SAS with Howard and Bass, but I don't see Nowitzki and Kidd battling another 82 games in the West. I can't see them making the playoffs next season either.

Portland is the rising power and will make the playoffs next season with Oden coming back and another lottery pick. I also see Golden State making it at the expense of the Mavericks.

The guard is changing in the league.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,922

Post#2 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Nah I think SA is keeping Manu fresh by letting him come off the bench, and whatever happens, they won't have a shortage of players willing to come to SA to piggyback for a ring. Duncan never really relied on his athleticism, and Parker will probably carry the team more.

Dallas, though, might have a problem.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,930

Post#3 » by Capn'O » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:55 pm

I won't count the Spurs out until I see it or Duncan's averaging 10/5. The dude always brings it in the playoffs

Dallas, however, only had one "hurrah" and it was two years ago and they didn't even win. TKF was so spot on about Dirk it's not even funny.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
maddbaron
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#4 » by maddbaron » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 pm

spurs nah dont they have euro guys stashed away that they call when they need them? and i think they have a pick this yr...

dallas yes....u dont trade a young pg like harris for jason kidd he doesnt fit that team....1st round knock out....dirk is a number 2 not a number one, kidd is now a number 3 not a number 2 never was a number 1....
DDV
General Manager

Post#5 » by DDV » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:03 pm

spurs wont make the playoffs next year?

:rofl: :rofl:

duncan isnt clsoe to done,he doent put up great regular season numbers anymore because hes getting up in age and the regular season is close to meaningless for the spurs

manu is in his prime and parkers young

and they wiill have cap space in a year or two

they just have to get a little younger and theyll be fine
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#6 » by kosmovitelli » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:09 pm

Dallas and San Antonio are probably done as championship contenders (even though SA remains a threat this year, they can win it all if Duncan brings his A game like yesterday and Bowen brings his defense) but I think you're off base if you think they won't make the playoffs next season. They will. Dallas needs a new coach though. Both teams need to make a few changes and inject new blood if they want to remain championship contenders.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,425

Post#7 » by Fat Kat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Spurs will be fine for a few more years.

Dallas on the other hand may never live up to their potential. Your best player cannot be as soft as Dirk. I just saw film of David West punking him.
Dallas needs to give serious thought to trading Dirk while his value is still high.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
DDV
General Manager

Post#8 » by DDV » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:Dallas and San Antonio are probably done as championship contenders (even though SA remains a threat this year, they can win it all if Duncan brings his A game like yesterday and Bowen brings his defense) but I think you're off base if you think they won't make the playoffs next season. They will. Dallas needs a new coach though. Both teams need to make a few changes and inject new blood if they want to remain championship contenders.

until we can say duncan is officially done the spurs will still be contenders because in the playofffs when the game slows down and its about big men he becomes the best player in the league still
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Re: OT - Dallasa and San Antonio's last Hurrah? 

Post#9 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:45 pm

roy10 wrote:Ginobilli has peaked this season and will start declining next year, Duncan is past his peak (despite a heroic performance yesterday). I don't think they can survive another 82 game season and make the playoffs next year.

Wow...just wow.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
New Jersey Knick
Veteran
And1: 28

Re: OT - Dallasa and San Antonio's last Hurrah? 

Post#10 » by New Jersey Knick » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:09 pm

roy10 wrote:Is this the end of the road for Dallas and San Antonio? Two of the biggest powerhouses in the league during the last decade seem to be fading.

San Antonio has Barry, Finley, KT, Horry and Bowen which are all basically done as basketball players. They have no young blood whatsoever and no picks.

Ginobilli has peaked this season and will start declining next year, Duncan is past his peak (despite a heroic performance yesterday). I don't think they can survive another 82 game season and make the playoffs next year.

Dallas made a mistake with the Kidd trade. They have more young blood than SAS with Howard and Bass, but I don't see Nowitzki and Kidd battling another 82 games in the West. I can't see them making the playoffs next season either.

Portland is the rising power and will make the playoffs next season with Oden coming back and another lottery pick. I also see Golden State making it at the expense of the Mavericks.

The guard is changing in the league.

Amazing!!!
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#11 » by Smoke24 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:52 pm

The Spurs never really wants to play in the regular season, they just go all out during the playoffs.

The mavs, however, are like the Kings of a few years ago, even though they were supremely talented, they were a shot or two off from winning it all and the years of being this good is closing on them fast where they are going to have to start from scratch again.
roy10
Banned User

Post#12 » by roy10 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:11 am

OK, I see there's a near consensus here about the Spurs contending next season as well. I'll stick to my minority opinion that unless they get a 2005 Finely caliber swing, some real defensive low post help and another guard to bring off the bench, they are DONE as a playoff team in the West (keep in mind that it takes 50 W's to make the playoffs in the West).

I really can't see a Finely caliber swing being bought out this off season and becoming available to them for peanuts.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,384

Post#13 » by Phish Tank » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 am

the spurs, i think, will win in the first round, but will lose in the second round to either the hornets or lakers, whoever they face. They will put up a fight, but the other teams are just better than them. However, San Antonio will find a way to compete for a while. They still have Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu for a while. Ian Mahinmi will look like a good role player in the near future. They have talents overseas that is stashed there to help them stay competitive in the future. Popovich and TD are great influences to help develop players too.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#14 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 am

roy10 wrote:OK, I see there's a near consensus here about the Spurs contending next season as well. I'll stick to my minority opinion that unless they get a 2005 Finely caliber swing, some real defensive low post help and another guard to bring off the bench, they are DONE as a playoff team in the West (keep in mind that it takes 50 W's to make the playoffs in the West).

I really can't see a Finely caliber swing being bought out this off season and becoming available to them for peanuts.

I guarantee you're the only person on this site who thinks the Spurs won't make the playoffs next season.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#15 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:24 am

no way for either of them. I do agree Dallas needs to make a trade tho. They either need a leader to make Dirk the #2 man, or trade Dirk to a different team for a different difference maker. An idea would be Dirk to Miami for pick and Marion.

If I am Dallas, I make a move for a disgruntled franchise player, or someone with the personality of a number 1. They have been missing that ever since finley left.
On the trade board I have them moving some pieces to get AI.

Other options on the market are Maggette, Marbury, Franchise, Barron, Gilbert (all of which can play next to Kidd)
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
roy10
Banned User

Post#16 » by roy10 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:35 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I guarantee you're the only person on this site who thinks the Spurs won't make the playoffs next season.

That could be. Nevertheless, people tend to forget that's it's pretty easy, even for a very good team, to fall out of the playoffs in the West.

I also think most people would agree with me that the 07/08 Spurs aren't as good as the 06/07 Spurs.

I definitely think next year's Blazers are better than the Spurs.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#17 » by PrecociousNeoph » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:25 am

until duncan starts to decline or ginobili blows out his knee, the spurs are a championship threat every year. parker though is completely overrated. i do agree that dallas needs to make changes though.
“Bye, Felicia.”
New Jersey Knick
Veteran
And1: 28

Post#18 » by New Jersey Knick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 am

Duncan is a monster its sad ppl dont realize how good he is....the dude gets drafted in 98 and leads his team to a chip the next year and he has won 3 after that as the primary low post player.

he plays good d he gets doubles doubles with ease he has great court vision from the low block and every year ppl pretend the spurs arent a threat...then they win and the cycle repeats it self.

If the spurs win this year duncan will have led his team to 5 rings......This is Histroy in the making
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#19 » by StutterStep » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:55 am

roy10 wrote:OK, I see there's a near consensus here about the Spurs contending next season as well. I'll stick to my minority opinion that unless they get a 2005 Finely caliber swing, some real defensive low post help and another guard to bring off the bench, they are DONE as a playoff team in the West (keep in mind that it takes 50 W's to make the playoffs in the West).

I get what you're saying but you pushed it too far with the Spurs. They have cap space and a very good reputation. Don't be surprised to see them retool the bench (Childress, and guys like that) while acquiring someone like Artest to get a frontline starter to carry the regular season load.

As far as Dallas goes, it really is tricky. They should just do Kidd for Baron Davis straight up in the off-season... it makes way too much sense.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,268

Post#20 » by seren » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:36 am

Spurs is at 53 million next year. They can use their mid-level to get a younger player. They have several Euro guys as mentioned, Parker is still not in his prime, and Popovich knows how to use his squad. They can get younger. I see them competing until Duncan retires.

Dallas has too much money tied to second tier players, i.e. Stackhouse, Terry, and Dampier are making too much for what they produce. They were lost into their own hypes in that Finals year giving up contracts to their mediocre players like peanuts. I don't think they can turn it. They have too many holes.

Return to New York Knicks