ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Dallas and San Antonio's last Hurrah?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,268

Post#41 » by seren » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 pm

roy10 wrote:I agree with your analysis, but you also seem to support my conclusion that San Antonio's future relies on its ability to significantly retool and find equal or better replacements for Finley, KT, Barry, Bowen and Horry.

My issue is that I can't see those guys available on the market right now.

BTW - all dynasties come to an end.

I agree, but I would expect an ending as the Chicago ending, i.e. Tim Duncan retires. Until then, San Antonio should be in playoffs and compete for the ring unless they are hit by serious injury issues to at least two of their three punch.

I think it would be wrong to suggest they can win it all with three plus scrubs. They obviously need to stay on top. But history suggests their management does a good job on that. It is difficult to see who will be on the market, i.e. will Finley stay for another year? can you sign with a player like Childress? can you get a player from Europe just like Toronto found in Anthony Parker?

So I support your conclusion only to an extent. Horry is already gone (has he played at all this year?). Bowen still has two years of contract and Udoka seems to be doing a decent job in replacing him. I would guess KT would stick for another year or two and they obviously do a good job in finding useful big men. Would Diop refuse an offer if they need him?
roy10
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#42 » by roy10 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:16 am

seren wrote:I agree, but I would expect an ending as the Chicago ending, i.e. Tim Duncan retires. Until then, San Antonio should be in playoffs and compete for the ring unless they are hit by serious injury issues to at least two of their three punch.

I think it would be wrong to suggest they can win it all with three plus scrubs. They obviously need to stay on top. But history suggests their management does a good job on that. It is difficult to see who will be on the market, i.e. will Finley stay for another year? can you sign with a player like Childress? can you get a player from Europe just like Toronto found in Anthony Parker?

So I support your conclusion only to an extent. Horry is already gone (has he played at all this year?). Bowen still has two years of contract and Udoka seems to be doing a decent job in replacing him. I would guess KT would stick for another year or two and they obviously do a good job in finding useful big men. Would Diop refuse an offer if they need him?

Well, Tim Duncan, as great as he is, doesn't look like he's able to keep his body in the great injury-free shape Jordan did. He's slowing down, like it or not.

Right now, it looks to me that Finley, Bowen and Barry are pretty much done as effective players. Udoka cannot replace Bowen on either end.

KT may be back, but probably at a very minor roll - he seems pretty much done as well.

I can't see any difference makers in Europe - there's nobody even near Parker's level. Splitter may come, and that could help the Spurs down low, but again, the key will be in finding a swing that will fill in the void left by Finley / Barry. They need shooting and size, and I really can't see where that guy will come from.

I Still stand by my two predictions (Not getting past the first round this year and not making the playoffs next season).
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,419

Post#43 » by sol537 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:20 am

I think the Kidd in Dallas experiment will lead to either Avery getting canned or Kidd getting dealt. I don't see any happy medium. They may be forced to trade Howard for a big or a true SG but who can they get? Brand maybe?

I think we should try to get Kidd's contract to NY. Even if he can only play for 1 more season, at least he can lead us to the playoffs and get us going in the right direction. We could also shed Crawford and Curry's long contracts in the process. Crawford, Curry, and Malik for Kidd and Stackhouse.

They can go back to their 1on1 style that Avery likes and they would finally have a big man to feed in the post. Send Randolph to the Bucks in a separate deal for Redd and draft the BPA. Kidd feeding the ball to Chandler, Nate, Lee, Redd and whoever we get in the draft will be fun to watch all while we rev up for a run at Lebron.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#44 » by asdfgh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:55 am

Just watch the Spurs win the title again

Return to New York Knicks