ImageImageImageImageImage

*Top Player* Workout Results @ Orlando PreDraft Camp

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Retired Jersey
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#41 » by Retired Jersey » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:00 am

the bizness wrote:here's espn's take on the workouts. some of them seem a little different from what we heard in the other reports but others are pretty much in line with what we've already heard:

Michael Beasley, PF, Kansas State
Beasley was the first player on the floor but the last to go through the workout. While other workouts were going on, we all watched in awe as Beasley drained NBA 3-pointer after NBA 3-pointer. That continued in the workouts, in which Beasley shot as well as any prospect here. Deep or midrange, Beasley can shoot the lights out.

I also caught a sneak peek of Beasley's vertical jump test. He touched the 11-foot-9 mark on his running jump. Assuming he has a standing reach of about 8-foot-10, that's a 35-inch vertical. Not off the charts, but not too shabby, either.

Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis

Rose won't look especially great in these drills. His jump shot is his weakness, though it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. He hit a respectable number of shots in the workouts and showed his value with his speed, leaping ability and ballhandling.

O.J. Mayo, SG, USC

Mayo's fundamentals really showed here. He looked as smooth and as comfortable as any of the prospects in the gym. His shot was falling from everywhere, and he showed great poise.

It was interesting to watch one front-office team -- from the Heat -- zero in on Mayo. Many times, NBA executives and scouts spend as much time talking as they do watching the action. When Mayo was on the floor, he had the undivided attention of Pat Riley and GM Randy Pfund.

Jerryd Bayless, PG, Arizona

Bayless also looked good in workouts. He ran the floor well, shot the ball well and looked like an all-around good prospect. He's slighter than most of the players he's competing against in the draft, but his skill really showed.

Anthony Randolph, PF, LSU

I thought Randolph really helped himself in this workout. He moves incredibly well for a big man, showed great quickness and leaping ability, and shot the ball much better than expected. Randolph also looked as if he has gained some weight, which should really help his cause. I think Randolph is one of the five top prospects in this draft.

Brook Lopez, C, Stanford

Lopez was one of the few prospects who didn't look great. These types of drills aren't really tailor-made for big men -- especially ones who don't have elite athleticism. Lopez did show some nice touch around the basket in some big man drills, but he wasn't going to stand out here.

Eric Gordon, SG, Indiana

Gordon is the strongest and possibly the biggest of the combo guards vying for a lottery pick. He seemed a little more tentative than some of the other prospects and shot some air balls and some eyebrow-raising jumpers at times. However, he calmed down as the workout went on and ended with a much more solid shooting performance in the final minutes.

D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas

Augustin showed his ability to shoot the basketball. He doesn't get to do a lot of point guard things here
Retired Jersey wrote:Just call him Russell Westcrook© <--- (cuz he's from Cali and he'll be getting mad steals)
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,114

Post#42 » by GONYK » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:14 am

Seriously, I don't know what to believe anymore, because ESPN in some cases has said the complete opposite of DX.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#43 » by method » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:17 am

TrueWarrior wrote:I have a feeling Joe Alexander is going to be an absolute steal in this draft. He has the height, freakish athleticism even by black standards ;), can actually shoot, and has good work ethic. I see no reason why he cant become a very very good player. Whoever picks him has themselves a stud.
:nod:
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#44 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:21 am

Espn tries to hard. They have lost any substance that they used to have. They are like a modern day mtv.
the bizness
General Manager

Post#45 » by the bizness » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:29 am

the most obvious one was the difference between what they said about anthony randolph- how do you go from "shot the ball much better than expected" on one hand and "completely unable to hit a mid-range or long-range jumper in any of the drills, not even coming up close on many of his attempts" on the other? unless what you were expecting was him not even being able to hit the backboard with his shots.

some of the others I could see maybe just being based on opinion or due to interpreting things different (like say, seeing someone as being "disinterested" or "clowning around too much"). but either a guy makes his shots or doesn't- there shouldn't be too much discrepancy there.
SJMequalsNY
Starter

Post#46 » by SJMequalsNY » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:52 am

the only thing i "trust" espn with is the game score. That's it. Anything else, they're just pandering to some big shot they wanna do a 24/7 story on.
The Knicks should pick somebody who has demonstrated a fierce attitude on the court and true leadership skills: LeBron's mother.

- Posted on a NY Post Blog
the bizness
General Manager

Post#47 » by the bizness » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:10 am

alright, nbadraft.net has their report in:

The workouts consisted of some full court shooting drills, moved on to dribble attack moves with finishes at the basket, floaters in the lane or pullups from midrange for the guards, and some flashes, cuts, post moves, and moves out of the triple threat for the bigs.

The last thing the guards did was cone shooting from 5 spots simulating coming off screens. It is pointless to put too much significance onto these workouts, as they really only show shooting form and the players
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,639

Post#48 » by knicksNOTslick » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:28 am

If we do get Love at #6 (I would hate that) and we start both him and Lee, that would be LoveLee (but not really)
Retired Jersey
Banned User

Post#49 » by Retired Jersey » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:31 am

the bizness wrote:JaVale McGee struggled to finish some near the basket shots. The rim rejected a few of his dunk attempts and in order to get even he decided to punish it by shooting numerous bricks.

:laugh:

This guy is such a BURGER!!! I can't believe BRIGGS is clamoring for us to pick this guy like he is some stud. He can't even finish in a halfcourt settng WITH NO DEFENDERS (repeatedly getting his shot blocked BY THE RIM!!!)

:rofl:
Retired Jersey wrote:Just call him Russell Westcrook© <--- (cuz he's from Cali and he'll be getting mad steals)
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#50 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:35 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:If we do get Love at #6 (I would hate that) and we start both him and Lee, that would be LoveLee (but not really)

:eek1: :rofl:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,266

Post#51 » by blueNorange » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:43 am

Retired Jersey wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:laugh:

This guy is such a BURGER!!! I can't believe BRIGGS is clamoring for us to pick this guy like he is some stud. He can't even finish in a halfcourt settng WITH NO DEFENDERS (repeatedly getting his shot blocked BY THE RIM!!!)

:rofl:
Rafael Araujo now has someone to talk to, i mean it's very hard to find someone who's dunk gets rejected by the rim

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzI2kqSrBFk
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Retired Jersey
Banned User

Post#52 » by Retired Jersey » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:45 am

blueNorange wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rafael Araujo now has someone to talk to, i mean it's very hard to find someone who's dunk gets rejected by the rim

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzI2kqSrBFk

:lol:
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#53 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Jun 1, 2008 10:13 am

sol537 wrote:Is Arthur too much of a reach at #6? Does he have the potential to become a McDyess or Stoudamire type some day?

I'd love if Walsh could snag the #11 pick and get Arthur in addition to a guard at #6.

I would have NO problem with Arthur at 6. In terms of talent and potential, he has just as much as anyone in this draft (atleast the big men). Yes, that includes Beasley.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Retired Jersey
Banned User

Post#54 » by Retired Jersey » Sun Jun 1, 2008 11:26 am

Flaming Mo wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would have NO problem with Arthur at 6. In terms of talent and potential, he has just as much as anyone in this draft (atleast the big men). Yes, that includes Beasley.

If Arthur measures in at 6'10" w/ shoes then I'd think about maybe taking him.

If Mayo/Bayless don't drop I think we'll be looking at the following players with the 6th pick:

Gallinari
Gordon
Randolph
Arthur
Jordan
7 UP
Banned User

Post#55 » by 7 UP » Sun Jun 1, 2008 11:30 am

Anthony Randolph in the TOP 5? Our best case scenario is if Randolph and Lopez both go in the top 5 and either Bayless or Mayo drop to us.
Retired Jersey
Banned User

Post#56 » by Retired Jersey » Sun Jun 1, 2008 11:45 am

7 UP wrote:Our best case scenario is if Randolph and Lopez both go in the top 5 and either Bayless or Mayo drop to us.

Wishful thinking but I don't see that happening.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,114

Post#57 » by GONYK » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:22 pm

DeAndre Jordan shouldn't even be mentioned in the top 10
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,152

Post#58 » by moocow007 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:49 pm

sol537 wrote:Is Arthur too much of a reach at #6? Does he have the potential to become a McDyess or Stoudamire type some day?

I'd love if Walsh could snag the #11 pick and get Arthur in addition to a guard at #6.

Not as athletic as McDyess was (before the knees went) and not near as intense (or strong) as Amare was.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,152

Post#59 » by moocow007 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:51 pm

There's a clip on the web where someone was interviewing Jordan and the way he acted and what he said made him sound like a 15-16 year old.
JAX
Veteran

Post#60 » by JAX » Sun Jun 1, 2008 3:03 pm

any one think that Bayless just knows he is going to the Sonics? If so why have to impress. It would be either Sonics and Minny and we have not heard on thing of him going ot Minny.

The more I think about it I think I see Lopez slipping to CHA b/c they have enough athletes and scorers and just need a solid bigman to go next to Okafur, sort of like Kaman and Brand.

Return to New York Knicks