ImageImageImageImageImage

Walsh's Draft Board Rates Westbrook Ahead of Bayless

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Slimpack
Lead Assistant
And1: 83

Re: Walsh's Draft Board Rates Westbrook Ahead of Bayless 

Post#21 » by Slimpack » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:44 pm

I hope this is true. I know people don't like Westbrook and I can understand why, but I'd be pissed of the Knicks drafted Bayless over Westbrook or Gordon. Bayless's game doesn't impress me at all. I wouldn't mind Gordon over Westbrook though. Actually that may be the decision I'd make as well.
Slate
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Slate » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:48 pm

drj wrote:
Truth or smoke?
Suppose the Knicks and Sonics are discussing #6 (Westbrook) for #4 (Bayless). For best bargaining leverage, you'd expect the Knicks to spread the word that they really love Westbrook and don't like Bayless that much.
Remember--everyone is lying now.

Agreed, I think all Walsh is trying to say is if Seattle wants to trade down and grab Westbrook then it had better be with the Knicks.

I am starting to get really excited about this rumor.

Clincher wrote:We're probably going to draft Westbrook but then ship him to PHO(PHO has shown HUGE interest in Westbrook) for a deal that will net us Barbosa in some sort of package.

Barbosa has been tossed around for Webster and the 13th, but since its the 6th we probably dont have to even toss in a youngster and they may take a deal away from us that is similar to Barbosa's.

GOD AWFUL idea. No thanks to Barbosa. The only way we deal with Phoenix and add our pick is if Zach Randolph is heading there.

DDV wrote:the leaks in the knicks organanzation with the draft usually are legit

last year we heard chandlers name for a few weeks prior to the draft as the guy we were gonna pick

Isiah Thomas is no longer in charge. Walsh is a shrewd operator and I belive he is trying to give up as little as possible for a potential swap.
SpReEfOrAlL
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#23 » by SpReEfOrAlL » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:51 pm

God. it looks like we will take Westbrook.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#24 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:58 pm

If its true I agree with Walsh. Westbrook is not a true PG but neither is Bayless. However Westbrook is an outstanding defender, which is what we need more right now, Bayless is cetainly not. What makes anyone think that Bayless is an upgrage over Marbury?

sims wrote:seattle doesn't really need to throw smoke, though - nobody is going to draft bayless before them. maybe if a team is really enamored with bayless and wants to move up to grab him, but i don't think that's us. not that we wouldn't take him if he dropped to 6 .... i just don't see us going out of our way to get him and take on additional salary in the process.

Good point
Slate
Veteran

Post#25 » by Slate » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote: What makes anyone think that Bayless is an upgrage over Marbury?

His age, his attitude, the belief that D'Antoni wants him for his system, and also the belief of Walsh that combo guards can be made into true point guards.

Personally I am all for the Bayless experiment in the hopes of him becoming more of a playmaker. If the experiment is a failure then we can move him to the 2 guard and draft a point guard next year.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#26 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:25 pm

LunaticCalm wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote: What makes anyone think that Bayless is an upgrage over Marbury?

His age, his attitude, the belief that D'Antoni wants him for his system, and also the belief of Walsh that combo guards can be made into true point guards.

Personally I am all for the Bayless experiment in the hopes of him becoming more of a playmaker. If the experiment is a failure then we can move him to the 2 guard and draft a point guard next year.

The attitude, yes Bayless seems like a great kid. But even at his age Marbury is more talented, more explosive, and a more polished player than Bayless is or probably will be. Thats not a knock on Bayless just people are forgeting how physically talented Marbury is, and proved it on a pro level (before he was austracized). I see Bayless as poor mans Marbury minus the bad attitude. In fact closer to Telfair.

But Westbrook has an Ace in his pocket. That trump card is defense.
wheresWEIS
Freshman

Post#27 » by wheresWEIS » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Westbrook, Gallinari and Bayless shoudl simply not be in the conversation. By all accounts Donnie Walsh moved heaven and earth to get D'Antoni to be our coach with the understanding that our entire team philosophy could and should be changed. Anyone who has seen Phoenix play knows that the crucial element of this offense is the pick and roll faciliated by a point guard who can change speeds and knows when to pass and when to shoot. For many teams Westbrook might be a solid choice--and god knows we need perimiter defense--but after Rose (and I'll throw mayo in there too) there is only one true point guard who fits this criteria: D.J. Augustine. The knock against this guy is that he is 'too small", but anyone who has watched Stephon Marbury play against Steve Nash can tell you that owning a bowflex isnt a virtue of a great pointguard. His college numbers are eerily similar to another 'undersized' pointguard who got lost in the fold and his name is Chris Paul. His ability to shoot the midranger puts him in a different class than the available T.J. Ford. This would not a sexy pick but it is neccessary. As great as it is to watch Westbrook tomahawk jam on a fastbreak, athletic freak combo guards are going to lead to nothing more than the status quo--ie stephon marbury.
the bizness
General Manager

Post#28 » by the bizness » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:45 pm

well apparently Westbrook has canceled his workouts (one team he canceled on was Indiana at 11). so most likely he has a promise from a team in the top 10. the most likely teams would be Seattle, New York and the Clippers. If I had to guess, I'd guess the Clippers since Seattle and NY would likely wait to see if anyone fell first, but then again New York did the same thing with Chandler last year, where they promised him and he canceled all his workouts early on.
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#29 » by Paeds » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:48 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
LunaticCalm wrote:

The attitude, yes Bayless seems like a great kid. But even at his age Marbury is more talented, more explosive, and a more polished player than Bayless is or probably will be. Thats not a knock on Bayless just people are forgeting how physically talented Marbury is, and proved it on a pro level (before he was austracized). I see Bayless as poor mans Marbury minus the bad attitude. In fact closer to Telfair.

Marbury Freshman stats 19pts 4.5 asst 3rebs 1.8stls 46%fg 37%3pt 74ft% 3.5 T.os'
Bayless Freshman stats 20pts 4.0 asst 3rebs 1.0stls 46%fg 41%3pt 84ft% 3.0 T.o's
Slate
Veteran

Post#30 » by Slate » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:52 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
The attitude, yes Bayless seems like a great kid. But even at his age Marbury is more talented, more explosive, and a more polished player than Bayless is

Agreed, right now Marbury is the better player

HighRyzer83 wrote:
or probably will be.

Disagee. I feel that Bayless under the guidance of a coach like D'Antnoi could run the system well and perhaps have a Tony Parker like influence on this team (not comparing them as players).

HighRyzer83 wrote:
Thats not a knock on Bayless just people are forgeting how physically talented Marbury is, and proved it on a pro level (before he was austracized).

He was austracized for a good reason, he is a selfish cancer
HighRyzer83 wrote:
I see Bayless as poor mans Marbury minus the bad attitude. In fact closer to Telfair.

Telfair isn't a poor man's Marbury, Telfair is a 5'10 bust.
HighRyzer83 wrote:

Westbrook also screams roleplayer and comes with the very large question marks of can he play the point and can he shoot?

wheresWEIS wrote:there is only one true point guard who fits this criteria: D.J. Augustine.

I agree that if Bayless is off the board, I would select DJ Augustin
the bizness
General Manager

Post#31 » by the bizness » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:The attitude, yes Bayless seems like a great kid. But even at his age Marbury is more talented, more explosive, and a more polished player than Bayless is or probably will be. Thats not a knock on Bayless just people are forgeting how physically talented Marbury is, and proved it on a pro level (before he was austracized). I see Bayless as poor mans Marbury minus the bad attitude. In fact closer to Telfair.

Bayless is probably just as athletic if not more than Marbury. He's one of the top athletes in the draft, with a 40" vertical and fast speeds. He's not as strong as Marbury though, which helps in driving and drawing contact.

and true, Westbrook is a better defender but Bayless is a much better shooter. he supposedly hit about 30 NBA 3-pointers in a row in workouts.

Return to New York Knicks