ImageImageImageImageImage

Questioning the Memphis Deal (Hope for us?)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Dupontcar
Sophomore
And1: 1

Questioning the Memphis Deal (Hope for us?) 

Post#1 » by Dupontcar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I don't understand the Memphis/Minnesota deal. I can clearly see why a team would want OJ Mayo, he has star written all over him. But from a need standpoint, It's my opinion that Memphis needs size up front, something that Love would have been perfect for them. Then they trade him for a SG/SF where they have some nice young players already, and take back bad contracts.

I am wondering if we still have a chance to get Mayo from Memphis? They need some quality big men, rebounding etc. David Lee appears available from us, as well as Curry obviously. Anyone have any ideas or input as to what Memphis is thinking?
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Re: Questioning the Memphis Deal (Hope for us?) 

Post#2 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:47 pm

I am wondering if we still have a chance to get Mayo from Memphis?

NO.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#3 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:47 pm

Waht are you sainf David Lee for Mayo? We would have to take Jaric as well.... HE can not be traded untill 60 days.... If we were in thei deal it would have been a 3 team deal. I was saying we should do this deal all yesterday. Too bad! I dont know if I can be afan of this organziation anymore.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,188

Post#4 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Mayo was within reach on draft night. Walsh chose Danilo. Mayo will not be on the Knicks roster.
buc003
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by buc003 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Marbury's exp contract is the only thing that will be pretty to teams like MEM who want to cut cap.
HarpStarkOakEw
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#6 » by HarpStarkOakEw » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 pm

we werent invited to the party and so we cant leave with the hot chic....

Mayo is a SG first and maybe a PG...can you guys name a SG on memphis's roster?

they are not dealing mayo
Ralphie96
Starter
And1: 54

Post#7 » by Ralphie96 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:02 pm

I have a feeling this could lead to a deal with Miami however.

Miami wanted Mayo...Memphis wanted Beasley...
Retired Jersey
Banned User

Post#8 » by Retired Jersey » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:40 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:Mayo was within reach on draft night. Walsh chose Danilo. Mayo will not be on the Knicks roster.

Please elaborate, cuz right now you just made a pretty eroneous statement...
BBALLER4FR
RealGM

Post#9 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Retired Jersey wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:Mayo was within reach on draft night. Walsh chose Danilo. Mayo will not be on the Knicks roster.

Please elaborate, cuz right now you just made a pretty eroneous statement...

I posted this in another thread -

My problem is NOT that we didn't get a PG. My problem is we didn't get a particular player, who was custom made to play in NY (Mayo) and could have been a piece in any hopes of LeBron coming here (VERY VERY difficult to move enough players to get under the cap) even though he was within reach. Here's what I saw on draft day.

1) Mayo had only given exclusive workouts to 2 teams; New York and Miami. The only other workout was a muti-team session. Mayo wanted to play in NY or Miami which is why Wade was lobbying so hard and why Miami was posturing to maximize the pick by getting Mayo later in addition to a big.

2) Mayo was supposed to be high on the list for NY. It seemed Walsh was posturing for something all night with the different directions being reported. In the end All the pieces fell the way they should have. a) Mayo went to Minny NOT Miami who would have looked to trade with the Clipps b) the Clipps and the Nets did not leapfrog us (despite efforts) c) Memphis got the "alleged" player they coveted (Love) and the supposed reason that they were "gun shy" about Lee.

So here we go....

Memphis couldn't have been that high on Love otherwise they wouldn't have traded him for Mayo, took on Jaric's deal, threw in Mike Miller AND an expiring C, which leads me to conclude they weren't firm on holding on to that pick (which they were obviously trying to move). That means Lee and his agent may have caused more damage than expected, particularly because I doubt Memphis was looking to come away in the draft with Mayo and vice versa.

So how hard was it to get Mayo? It looks to me like the difference was Mike Miller??? And Lee damaged that, but Walsh couldn't do anything else? It's hard to believe Memphis wouldn't want to shed $$$ with Cardinal on the roster. Walsh couldn't do the# 6 and an expiring, thereby wiping Cardinal's salary and giving Memphis a pick to leverage for a player they had no idea they wanted? Nope. Because it looks like Mayo wasn't NY's #1 prize in the draft. Gallinari was the pick all along and Mayo was an option should we get another pick. It stings that Walsh viewed Mayo as "gravy".
Jcrawford11
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#10 » by Jcrawford11 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

we could have had a nice point guard for 7 to 10 years instead we took a meat ball...who will be a spot up shooter with the 6th pick isnt that to high for a role player
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,704

Post#11 » by Knick4Real » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Waht are you sainf David Lee for Mayo? We would have to take Jaric as well.... HE can not be traded untill 60 days.... If we were in thei deal it would have been a 3 team deal. I was saying we should do this deal all yesterday. Too bad! I dont know if I can be afan of this organziation anymore.

How do you know what deals were tried and what deals failed??? A deal doesn't happen just because Walsh says he wants it to, and poof it happens. In case you haven't noticed, we don't have much that other teams are interested in. So it's not as easy as you think to pull off a deal. Besides, the draft is only the BEGINNING of the off-season possibilities. Free agency is next, and trades are possible and likely to happen between now and opening night. A lot will still happen to this ball club between now and then.

So if not making a deal happen that YOU wanted is enough for you to not be a fan anymore, then go away...you were probably never a real fan to begin with!
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#12 » by GuyverADL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:35 pm

I plan on seeing Mayo and Bayless burn the Knicks for years to come.

Chris Paul and Deron Williams part deux
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by hobojoe2131 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:44 pm

All 4 are in the west...so you really wont see them that much actually. And Bayless wont burn anyone
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#14 » by GuyverADL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:56 pm

hobojoe2131 wrote:All 4 are in the west...so you really wont see them that much actually. And Bayless wont burn anyone

If you think Bayless is a bum your crazy. He was a FRESHMAN and he hurt his knee.

He is playing next to a big guard who can make plays (ROY).

Oden
Aldridge
Outlaw/Webster
Roy
Bayless

If you think you are going to run over them in 2 years your crazy. Plus they have talent to trade for a free agent in 2010.
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by hobojoe2131 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:57 pm

he is a good fit in Por where he wont have to carry a team and worry about shooting. He also has Roy next to him who handles the point sometimes. Bayless isnt a pure pg
towelie
Lead Assistant
And1: 38

Post#16 » by towelie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Honestly, I'd still press hard to pursue Mayo before the season start.

a) Memphis was looking to shed salary prior to the draft. They added salary instead with Jaric's contract, and rolled the dice on a player who didn't even work out for them.

b) They now have 2 contracts they'd want off the books, and both end before 2010 (perfect for our plan)

c) Their frontcourt is more weak than ever by not holding onto Love. Lee would be even more attractive to them.

d) Lastly, inform Mayo's agent that we still want to acquire him, and knowing that a kid like him doesn't want to spend his NBA career in Memphis, he can help push for a trade.
pewing33ny
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#17 » by pewing33ny » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:07 pm

HarpStarkOakEw wrote:we werent invited to the party and so we cant leave with the hot chic....

Mayo is a SG first and maybe a PG...can you guys name a SG on memphis's roster?

they are not dealing mayo

that's what i was thinking the whole time. they had juan freakin' navarro starting for them at point for a while last year.
doctor fite
Starter

Post#18 » by doctor fite » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 pm

i am pretty disgusted that mayo as available and we didnt make it happen.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#19 » by GuyverADL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:15 pm

Definitely not getting Mayo now. Pipe dream indeed.

At least we will be collecting our own picks for the foreseeable future. Maybe Walsh wants to follow the Trail Blazers plan.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM

Post#20 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:17 pm

He can't be happy. He just signed a deal with Nike before the draft and now he's showcasing in Memphis? He worked out with NY and Mia then had 1 workout with the remaining lotto teams together. He wanted NY/Mia and we made a half a$$ed effort to get him. Worse case scenario we move up to #4.

Return to New York Knicks