ImageImageImageImageImage

Are the Knicks the worst team in the NBA?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Starksfor3
RealGM
And1: 902

Are the Knicks the worst team in the NBA? 

Post#1 » by Starksfor3 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:31 pm

I think we might have a good chance at being really really bad. This is not a negative as it should put us in the lottery again for (hopefully) a young impact player.

Competition:

Memphis: A young team but a team with star talent with Gay, Mayo and a slew of young PG's.

Seattle: Durant one year wiser along with some nice young talent. But in the West, will probably struggle.

Clippers: Brand coming back should help them win some games but what is the PG situation?

Milwaukee: Jefferson is an upgrade and I could see them doing some damage with Bogut, R-Gay and Redd.

Minnesota: Kevin McHale seems to want to keep his team at the bottom and showed that by dealing Mayo. Good job, sir. You truly are an idiot. Just when we thought you couldn't screw things up worse. I'm surprised you didn't trade him to Boston for a future third round pick.

The New York Knicks: A mess of a roster. Very little trade pieces. Horrendous contracts. No franchise player (Danillo, please pan out) Did I mention we lose another first rounder by 2010?
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,512

Re: Are the Knicks the worst team in the NBA? 

Post#2 » by duetta » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:33 pm

The Knicks are the worst team that money could buy.
the bizness
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#3 » by the bizness » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:39 pm

we might not be the worst but our future is the bleakest since we don't have a single franchise player and we have the worst salary-to-performance ratio.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#4 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:43 pm

We very well might be the worst, particularly if Marbury starts for us this season at PG IMO. But I'm okay with that. Next year we get a stud PG with the #1 pick in the draft.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#5 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Did we choose first? not that it matters, because the Bulls lucked up and got the number one pick.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#6 » by NYKAL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Minnesota makes NY management look brilliant. Compared to them our outlook is sunny with a minor chance of showers
Dmiles37
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Dmiles37 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Well its good to be back. I have been gone for 2 years for many reasons which im sure wont interest anyone but now to the subject at hand.

Are we he worst team in the league? No. we are not the worst team there are still a few teams that are in worse shape then us. I believe that the Sonics, Twolves, Grizz are still worse then we are. We do have a lot of talent on this team its just to bad they all play the same position.

Personally I do like the Gallinari pick becasue he is very versitial, he caan play the 3 or the 4 and he still just 19 years old. At 6`10 he is still growing and the Knicks did a good job.

Will Gallinari be a superstar/allstar? No I dont think so I think he will be a typical 16/6 guy, but if you can put him in the right situation he can flourish. I think that this new Knicks system is a perfect fit for him.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#8 » by GuyverADL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:49 pm

How does McHale still have a job?
J0rdan4life42o
General Manager
And1: 263

Post#9 » by J0rdan4life42o » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, the problem is that our players and coach don't mesh. I find it difficult to believe the team we have now could play the style of basketball D'Antoni played in Phoneix. Obviously it won't be exactly the same, but we know that D'Antoni plays an up-tempo game where ball movement and team play is essential for success. Shooters are a must and big men that will run down the floor and throw outlet passes are neccessary as well.

We only have several pieces that fit, and one of them we got last night. I can confidently say that only Nate Robinson and Gallinari fit the style of play D'Antoni will likely have this team run next season. We all HOPE that Chandler, Lee, Crawford and maybe Curry can make the neccessary changes to their games in order to be able to play under our new coach. Jamal will have to become more of a facilitator and Lee will have to do a lot more than just rebound and chase down loose balls. Chandler will have to show he can knock down shots consistently and Curry, well we all know what Curry needs to do...

So we could be one of the worst teams in the league next year, but if we can get half the guys on our roster to makes changes to their game and commit themselves next season, we could have a competitive team. There's no question though, this team will have to score in the 105-110 range a night to be compeitive, a tough task indeed.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#10 » by bringinhinkie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:We very well might be the worst, particularly if Marbury starts for us this season at PG IMO. But I'm okay with that. Next year we get a stud PG with the #1 pick in the draft.

marburys the problem? you're joking? did you watch one game last season without him? hes 10x the pg than mayo/gordon/bayless and anyone else we can currently aquire, he plays better d than crawford, zach, curry, lee.. but hes the problem? hes been our best player the last couple years, we were terrible with him, we were even WORSE without him.. so the blame is all on steph, not isiah, not our out of shape players who play no d, give up at halftime of games, its all marbury..

real insightful post
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,654

Post#11 » by Lord Commander » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 pm

the bizness wrote:we might not be the worst but our future is the bleakest since we don't have a single franchise player and we have the worst salary-to-performance ratio.

+1
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#12 » by GuyverADL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Hopefully we are next year.

All we need is that top 3
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#13 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 pm

optimusADL wrote:How does McHale still have a job?

Yes Kevin McFail
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,707

Post#14 » by Fat Kat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Unfortunately no. IMO, we will see evidence of how really inept Isiah Thomas was as a coach. MD implementing his system and actually knowing how to coach a team will lead to at least a half dozen wins in itself.
We probably will be mired in mediocrity for the next few seasons until we raise the trade value of some of the stiffs that clutter the roster.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,120

Post#15 » by sol537 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:06 pm

we all have to remember a few things: The team has been underachieving quite a bit the last few seasons because of the circus atmosphere, lack of accountability, lack of player development, poor chemistry, and horrible coaching.

I truly believe that if Antonio Davis didn't go into the stands at the end of our 6 game win streak with Larry Brown at the helm, we would have finished that season strong and things would have been quite different in NY.

With that said, we now have a GM who knows what it takes to build chemistry and to put complimentary pieces together and a coach who can make most players play at a high level, so we should be able to get more out of this group. If we add a PG like Felton and dump the cancers that are Randolph and Marbury, I truly think we're alot better than people think.
jayknicks
Junior

Post#16 » by jayknicks » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:08 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Unfortunately no. IMO, we will see evidence of how really inept Isiah Thomas was as a coach. MD implementing his system and actually knowing how to coach a team will lead to at least a half dozen wins in itself.
We probably will be mired in mediocrity for the next few seasons until we raise the trade value of some of the stiffs that clutter the roster.

Yea I totally agree..we can't judge our team's performance as a basketball team b/c of all the other garbage that was going on..we were the worst prepared team to play before each game..i bet practices were optional under Thomas regime..things will change and I think like all the other FA's who would love to play for Mr. D'ant..our current players will play much better this year..we won't be a contender but we won't be the worst.

Return to New York Knicks